• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 13, 2017
The saltwater crocodile has the strongest bite on Earth. In a 2012 study, the bite of one individual was recorded at 16,414 Newtons or 3,689 pounds of force—making it the strongest recorded bite of any individual animal.

blacklotus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well, if anyone was wondering why we still get videos of people being way to risky with wild animals, this thread kind of explains that well.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
I saw a YouTube video from Billiam recently where he visited a Croc/Gator theme park in Florida. They had an attraction where you could "wrestle" a gator. There's a trainer, the gator has it's jaws taped shut, and you get to sit on it and take a photo. Billiam is a 6 foot guy, the gator was about 4 or 5 feet I think, not massive. Even then though when it struggled underneath him you could see the strength in it as he struggled to stay seated on it. They're tubes of muscle. I think many people underestimate the capabilities of animals and over-estimate just how well equipped we are to deal with them.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
It's not surprising to me that these jaws would fuck me up, but what I still find bewildering is why are they so fast? Or why are we so slow? They look like an oversized wiener dog. Each leg movement must move by like a foot or something .

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Damn that video of the cheetah was crazy and kinda sad lol. Imagine living somewhere where you risk that every time you wanna drink water.

Oct 26, 2017
You're right, OP. And on that note, can we talk about lions?

latest

Like, look at them. They're just big cats. They are not nearly as dangerous as they look. Just throw a ball of yarn in its direction and it turns into a big softie.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
What? They don't look nearly that fast. That's pretty surprising.

About the jaws, I remember reading some time ago that the jaws are powerful but only in the close direction so a human can easily keep them shut. Worst case scenario they get one bite maybe.

Is this a troll thread? Are you seriously saying they get one bite as its a minor thing? It would rip your arm off. The shock alone could kill you if that happens.
If it doesn't rip a part of your body off then you are going to be death rolled.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on what they bite no? If it gets my leg or something it'd hurt like hell but not kill me. If it gets my neck or something sure but I meant more so a limb.

It's not like they're gonna bite and take a little chunk out and leave you alone. They bite to HOLD you and shake you around to rip you to pieces. Consider yourself lucky if a gator gets your leg and you ONLY lose your entire leg.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
What? They don't look nearly that fast. That's pretty surprising.

About the jaws, I remember reading some time ago that the jaws are powerful but only in the close direction so a human can easily keep them shut. Worst case scenario they get one bite maybe.

Just to be clear because I kinda goofed in the title by including alligators and crocodiles, can an *alligator* do all of this?
I can't tell if you're trolling or not, but honestly if you are A+ because you made me mad with some of your responses lmao. These facts are something you'd find with a 2 second google search. Willful ignorance is not cute. You strike me as someone who would come into a thread about a serious topic demanding everyone do their research for them.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's not surprising to me that these jaws would fuck me up, but what I still find bewildering is why are they so fast? Or why are we so slow? They look like an oversized wiener dog. Each leg movement must move by like a foot or something .
They have very muscular bodies including their legs. They can't move fast for long periods on land, but they can outpace humans in bursts.

Hippos have short stumpy legs too, weigh a ton, and are even faster.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like a good chunk of the population would struggle with a medium sized dog if it really came down to it. This thread ain't swaying that.

fifthblight

Apr 8, 2024
cannot emphasize enough how difficult they are to see in their natural habitat (i.e. murky, muddy brackish water, not regularly cleaned and filtered pools specifically designed for audience viewing). there's a reason there's so much nature documentary footage of zebras and wildebeest coming right up to the edge of the water where they're lurking and getting dragged in.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Darwin Award people just looking at the thread nodding their heads.

You're right, OP. And on that note, can we talk about lions? Like, look at them. They're just big cats. They are not nearly as dangerous as they look. Just throw a ball of yarn in its direction and it turns into a big softie.
NGL if I could have a big cat as a pet I would. But I like my larynx where it is so I'll just stick to my 3 moggies.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I don't think you sound stupid but it's hard to understand where you're coming from. They basically look like prehistoric beasts, even if you don't know much about them they look like something you wouldn't fuck with.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I promise I'm not trying to sound like a "I could kill a bear" dumbass
....... But.... That's literally what you're doing? You're literally vastly overestimating your ability while underestimating this animal. Which is precisely what the "I could take a lion" people do.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
It simply grabs you, drags you into the water and drowns you.

Can happen in a matter of seconds.

Sounds pretty horrifying to me.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's mostly that they're sneaky bastards, and I wouldn't recommend swimming in a lake or a river that they live near (or really walking close to the body of water either). When you see them on land, they're easy enough to avoid. But they can indeed run faster than most bipedal bitches, so it's best to avoid them. I have been down to Naples Florida a couple of times, where you can see a bunch of them. Usually they're in a non aggressive posture, but it is still wise to keep a safe distance.

Death roll and it'll take a limb right off.

I learned about that from Crocodile Dundee, lol.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
Out of every group I'm a part of resetera seems to have the most people that I wonder if they have ever been outside in nature? I truly wonder. Shit even a horse can kill a person and has done so many times lol I advise any one who grew up in a city to get out into nature. Everyone I think needs to understand our place in the world and how fragile we are as animals.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Depends on what they bite no? If it gets my leg or something it'd hurt like hell but not kill me. If it gets my neck or something sure but I meant more so a limb.

Nah because if they bite your leg you aren't getting them off. And they're heavy enough to drag you under water and not ever let you above the surface again

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Grass is greener but you read and see all these incredible things animals can do and I'm" like "dang, humans kind of suck in comparison".
While many animals are very dangerous for humans to be around humans are also pretty fucking scary as hunters. One very big advantage humans have over other animals is endurance, antelopes are very fast for example but only for short bursts, human hunters can just jog towards an antelope herd until they run away, humans follow them until they get close again and the antelopes run again, rinse and repeat until the antelopes are exhausted and easy prey. To antelopes humans are basically monsters who just keep coming, you can run away but you cannot escape.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
Grass is greener but you read and see all these incredible things animals can do and I'm" like "dang, humans kind of suck in comparison".

May I present you with Persistence hunting https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persistence_hunting a crocodile will kill you quick sure, a human will run after you, make you think you have escaped only to then show up when you are trying to rest and kill you, if you somehow escape he will just keep chasing you down until you literally cannot fight anymore, it's some Freddy Krueger shit except you don't escape it when you're awake.

On a less primitive form of that, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_jump

Hunters herded the bison and drove them over the cliff, breaking their legs and rendering them immobile.

This is before we even go into tools, like even primitive tools are insanely overpowered, the bow and arrow allowed us to take out flying creatures, and land creatures with ease, spears allowed to do the same even for creatures that are underwater, primitive tools are so OP, that we can even kill animals when we aren't even there, we could be KMs away and still kill their ass with some trap or a net.
Imagine a crocodile being able to kill you when they are just chilling in some pond while having sex with another crocodile.

This can arguably also be said to be the compassionate side of humans killing animals because we have also essentially engaged in primitive forms of bioengineering of animals just so their entire purpose of existing is to either help us kill other animals, or feed us, so either cooperate or get killed, and if you cooperate you might also get killed.

On cooperative animals:

The earliest recorded mention of pigeons comes from Mesopotamia some 5,000 years ago.[8] Pigeon Valley in Cappadocia has rock formations that were carved into ancient dovecotes. Ancient Egyptians kept vast quantities of them, and would sacrifice tens of thousands at a time for ritual purposes.[9] Akbar the Great traveled with a coterie of thousands of pigeons.[10][11][12]

Humans are nightmare fuel when you're on the not human side. Imagine being I don't know a Mammoth or whatever, and then seeing a group of tiny ape looking asses coming at you wearing your relative's skin around their bodies, and with some familiar looking teeth at the end of some sticks just so they can kill you with the teeth of your own relatives.

Last edited:

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
This post sounds an awful lot like it was written by a crocodile that wants me to let my guard down...

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
having a healthy respect for a creature's ability to do damage does not mean you hate them. obviously this may manifest itself differently in florida where they are a potential safety hazard (i don't know), but i think you can practice some extra caution without turning ire onto an animal that is just doing what it has evolved to do over many years, longer than humans have been around by a country mile. it's as useless as getting angry at cliffs because you can fall off them

Bengraven