• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favourite moment of Season 3 part 2

• My soldiers, rage! My soldiers scream! My soldiers, fight!

Votes: 108 22.3%
  • Levi vs Beast Titan

Votes: 157 32.4%
  • Armin's sacrifice

Votes: 46 9.5%
  • Levi's choice

Votes: 34 7.0%
  • Basement reveal (Marley, Titan history)

Votes: 95 19.6%
  • Shingeki no Kyojin

Votes: 19 3.9%
  • The sea

Votes: 26 5.4%

• Total voters

Kingasta

Avenger
Jan 4, 2018
What if the people within the walls are descendants of those who refused the Titan experiment, so they were put behind walls and had their memories erased? But it appears the outsiders changed their plans at some point in time and they want to erase the normal humans that are left, maybe because humans ventured outside the walls and became too advanced so the outsiders felt threatened.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Hmm ok, I just remember hearing after this exciting part that the manga changed course and it was divisive(having to do with basement).
The thing about attack on titan is that it's a monthly series so it can be rather slow and the author does not force himself to focus on titan action like some other shonens do. The main one was the conspiracy historis arc but it was followed up with the action packed arc we just. The next arc is departure as we learn more about the outside world.

So everytime there is a lull people complain about it falling off. Don't worry the story has yet to take a full on cliff dive and at this point it probably won't unless he botches the ending.

It can be slow though.But that's better than the game of thrones season 7 and 8 alternative

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The twist has yet to be guessed or discussed in this thread yet

and i've read every post

If I had to take a shot in the dark....

Grisha being from the civilised world goes to show his sister the blimp, but contracts the 'titan' disease or whatever these people on the outside see it as. He's taken away and dumped near Titan which is being used as containment for people who can become titans or have the ability to.

Or something kinda long those lines

Oct 25, 2017
For beast titan, there wasn't really anything to say that he couldn't have come from inside the walls was there?
None of the shifters are from inside the wall. Bert and Reiner knowing exactly who Zeke was way back in season 2, before he even showed his face pretty much kills that train of thought.
So we're finally here. Wasn't the most surprising twist in the world, but at the same time it really gets my mind going and looking for all the little hints in the previous seasons. Got so many questions that will hopefully get answered in the next couple episodes, like
Is this actually real world germany or some approximation of it? The parallels are obvious but will they actually name drop real world places and events. Are titans like a german experiment or something? What the fuck is going on lmao. Did the manga author of this really like the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime? :P
If you want to find some hints then go back and rewatch the ep with Ymir's backstory.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
PSA to all anime only watchers:

BE CAUTIOUS AROUND THEORIZING.
There are a ton of manga readers in this thread who will give their 2 cents on your assumptions.
In an anime only thread it shouldn't be their job to worry about manga readers spoiling shit. I'm sorry but the onus is on us manga readers not to say shit, not the anime people avoiding posting theories.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit at some manga people casually confirming stuff, at least wait those 2-3 weeks.
Agreed. You guys need to shut the fuck up and let people guess by themselves. It's fucking annoying and stick to the manga topic if you can't help yourself.

No idea why you are confirming or denying content to people who are trying to figure it out.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Falls off?

I won't be spoiling anything but I don't think very many people think the manga has fallen off at all. You had that one person make that one thread a while ago, but they had completely misunderstood everything that was happening.
Yes, that guy is a bonafide idiot. He made a topic on gaf as well a few years back, completely ignored every point from manga readers just like he did when he made the same topic on era. I remember when he came to the manga thread and got laughed off the thread for spouting bullshit though.

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, that guy is a bonafide idiot. He made a topic on gaf as well a few years back, completely ignored every point from manga readers just like he did when he made the same topic on era. I remember when he came to the manga thread and got laughed off the thread for spouting bullshit though.
I honestly think that anybody with that specific take regarding the later stuff already has some sort of agenda. Even after a very surface level read it's easy to see the the messaging isn't anti-semitic.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The key was a red herring, they only needed Levi's feet. Nah, the key was needed after all.

I don't want to imagine what Armin thought when he learned he ate Bertholt and now has the titan powers. Hang in there, Armin.

Interested to know what will be revealed about Grisha's past.

Mr. Mug

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think that anybody with that specific take regarding the later stuff already has some sort of agenda. Even after a very surface level read it's easy to see the the messaging isn't anti-semitic.

While I don't think AoT is outright anti-semitic I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about the jew allegory being a bit hamfisted at best and maybe slightly anti-semitic at worst. I'm not sure if I can go into details why here without spoiling though.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to take a shot in the dark....

Grisha being from the civilised world goes to show his sister the blimp, but contracts the 'titan' disease or whatever these people on the outside see it as. He's taken away and dumped near Titan which is being used as containment for people who can become titans or have the ability to.

Or something kinda long those lines

I think Grisha stole the Titan injections and decided to try those humans outside the wall rather than him being forcefully or accidentally turned into a Titan.

Zeke is definitely related to him too, the screen grab of the photo seems to point to him being Grisha's first son. That might explain why he has the beast Titan power, maybe Grisha used him as his first experiment to see if he could inject Titan powers?

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
In an anime only thread it shouldn't be their job to worry about manga readers spoiling shit. I'm sorry but the onus is on us manga readers not to say shit, not the anime people avoiding posting theories.
Reading the theories is my favorite thing about this thread. Takes me back to when the manga thread was going through these arcs

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Reading the theories is my favorite thing about this thread. Takes me back to when the manga thread was going through these arcs
Yeah it's quite fun, I agree. But we can do so without going "okay, go back to this episode for hints!" it's like come on, just let the people scrounge around for details on their own without any help. It's no fun to spell it out with evidence for anime-onlies when they can figure things out among themselves.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Ok so here's my theory:

It's Pseudo-WW2 and the Titans' race are the equivalent of the Jewish people. They ended up beating the Nazis using Titans, or Golems, and locking them up in the walls as punishment. Eren and the rest are descendants of the "Nazis"

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Are we supposed to be using spoiler tags for speculation?

And what's the episode number for tie Ymir episode, I think I'll go back and rewatch it as mentioned by JadedWriter

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the beast titan making some weird baseball references has context now lol

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
Manga readers, let's not confirm or deny anything in this thread.

Let viewers discover it all themselves. Speculating on where this series could go was a blast. Let's not spoil it for anime only people.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I know I've mentioned the Scouts' critically endangered status twice before, but I had no idea there were only 9 left. Goodness me. Then again, with this reveal, wouldn't it make much more sense for the military to restructure itself entirely? Having a military police makes sense, but a dedicated garrison? Much less so.

awilliams213

Oct 27, 2017
CT
When the end credits started I was a bit let down but once that after credit epilogue started wow just wow. No idea what comes next but very ready for some real answers. I love to read this thread after an episode airs it's amazing to see this series still provoke so much discussion. Thanks to the members keeping the topics only on current show events and very light speculations.

deathkiller

Apr 11, 2018
Ok so here's my theory:

It's Pseudo-WW2 and the Titans' race are the equivalent of the Jewish people. They ended up beating the Nazis using Titans, or Golems, and locking them up in the walls as punishment. Eren and the rest are descendants of the "Nazis"
I am not sure about the timeline but I assume that Eren father was born after the Humanity behind the walls was founded so the Pseudo pre-WW2 of the flashback was also after that meaning that the people inside the walls wouldn't had been involved with any WW2 equivalent outside.

The way I see it there is WW2 like situation as a cause of the exodus though there might be similarities to how jew have been treated over history and the background of the people inside the wall.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the beast titan making some weird baseball references has context now lol

I thought it was cheesy fourth wall breaking at the time, but with the context from this episode.

I wonder how much more developed that place is now compared to when we see it? At least forty to fifty years have to has passed. They have TV and shit? Airplanes seems obvious with them already having airships.

Rules, Please read!!!
OP
OP
PhantomKnight

PhantomKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Since it seems it's getting out of hand I added some more stuff into the rules

Can I discuss the manga here?
- There are most likely many anime only viewers here so please be considerate and keep manga discussion in the manga thread. No hinting or teasing future events!!!!
- Manga readers, please do NOT participate with any theorising!!
- Double check if you're in the correct thread before posting!!

Also, anime-only viewers, try and avoid asking questions like "Is this the big moment from the manga" or " I heard mixed reaction about so and so" because you're basically inviting manga readers to tease and hint stuff...

32B958DFF335213863804CA6D5F6BECDFA807CF3

(Added gif to draw attention to this post.)

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if I'm exaggerating that much if I were to say I'd struggle to find 2 different shots where the character art is actually consistent. It's basically what I was expecting to happen with the production struggles and all, but I hope it'll still be the exception alongside the second episode.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
As far as speculating on what's going on is concerned, it's actually highly difficult to NOT notice many of the obvious hints that there's some kind of civilization outside of the wall.

Like, Zeke's baseball terms alone... Or his ace shot put throwing form in the first episode of this S3P2.

No, Isayama expects you to understand it by the time he reveals the basement. He does that constantly, by the way, where major reveals are often strongly hinted at by the time you get there. However, the extent of what's revealed often ends up being much greater than anticipated and there are usually a lot of other things brewing up already, too.

Like, in e.g. the episode where Annie is finally revealed as the Female Titan, she's outright shown lying in her bed with Female Titan Bed Hair™ at the beginning. At least by then you kinda have to see it. But the actual surprise in the episode is then that the others already know about that and prepared a trap for her.

Subpar Scrub

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, I really didn't appreciate being accused of being a secret manga reader b/c I paid attention to the information that's been laid out in the show. (I know it wasn't you PlayBee), and the inherent likely spoiler of accusing me of such.

Eh, this thread is weird. I assumed Armin would inherit the armoured titan, which was wrong, a few weeks ago and some random moron blew up at me for being a "manga reader", even though it wasn't true.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
As far as speculating on what's going on is concerned, it's actually highly difficult to NOT notice many of the obvious hints that there's some kind of civilization outside of the wall.

Like, Zeke's baseball terms alone... Or his ace shot put throwing form in the first episode of this S3P2.

No, Isayama expects you to understand it by the time he reveals the basement. He does that constantly, by the way, where major reveals are often strongly hinted at by the time you get there. However, the extent of what's revealed often ends up being much greater than anticipated and there are usually a lot of other things brewing up already, too.

Like, in e.g. the episode where Annie is finally revealed as the Female Titan, she's outright shown lying in her bed with Female Titan Bed Hair™ At least by then you kinda have to see it. But the actual surprise in the episode is then that the others already know about that and prepared a trap for her.
Yeah I think it's obvious we haven't gotten an actual "reveal" yet. We are being teased until we find out what they read in the books.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Like, in e.g. the episode where Annie is finally revealed as the Female Titan, she's outright shown lying in her bed with Female Titan Bed Hair™ at the beginning. At least by then you kinda have to see it. But the actual surprise in the episode is then that the others already know about that and prepared a trap for her.
This guy gets it

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah and the Reiss clan were probably manipulating everyone so they don't try and go back to civilization. Because if they did then A). They would get washed by real humanity (who probably have loads of Titan serum) and B). The mindless Titans keeping them out.

Rod was definitely evil, but his family were probably assigned to fuck with Walled humanity to keep them in line.

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really in between two sides here: Believing the Nonwalled humans are regular people and the Walled humans having something secret about them... or the other way around. I don't believe that all the Nonwalled Humans are Titan shifters (that's probably just a war/soldier thing, but I guess they became so amazing after kicking everyone's ass with Titans, they left the Colossal/Armored Titan serum in some safe and Zeke stole them) but they must have a secret about them.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Apparently the director confirmed that there will be a season 4, but didn't comment on the studio

tellNoel

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's quite fun, I agree. But we can do so without going "okay, go back to this episode for hints!" it's like come on, just let the people scrounge around for details on their own without any help. It's no fun to spell it out with evidence for anime-onlies when they can figure things out among themselves.
Oh, I totally agree with you.

Oct 25, 2017
Not everybody tends to care enough about the finer details to either rewatch the show or rewatch an actual episode. I'm not even telling them what to pay attention to. Someone in the manga thread with this exact complaint said that this is perfectly fine, but I guess this is really a case by case basis. Like if people are having questions regarding stuff that has already happened in the show and don't remember why it would be relevant then I honestly see nothing wrong with telling them where the breadcrumbs are and hoping they figure it out for themselves. What I'm not doing is discussing the revelation in said breadcrumbs. I'm pretty much just telling someone where to look in the bibliography for a research report.

Rehynn

Banned
Feb 14, 2018
I'm just constantly impressed by how well Isayama planned this whole thing.
It seems we're at a point where the series will demand quite a bit from its viewers/readers.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I interpreted the reveal to be that AoT is set in "real life" WW2 Germany, not that there were people beyond the walls. Now we know that the people outside the walls are indeed not just nomads, but instead probably much more advanced. Which begs the question, why have the higher-ups quarantined these folks and wiped their memory/history?

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just constantly impressed by how well Isayama planned this whole thing.
It seems we're at a point where the series will demand quite a bit from its viewers/readers.
I'm at the point where I'm convinced Isayama rereads this from the beginning from time to time to figure out what's a lose plot point and what he can connect to.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
I interpreted the reveal to be that AoT is set in "real life" WW2 Germany, not that there were people beyond the walls. Now we know that the people outside the walls are indeed not just nomads, but instead probably much more advanced. Which begs the question, why have the higher-ups quarantined these folks and wiped their memory/history?

And people walking around with the Star of David...

Zamakan

Mar 28, 2018
I'm really in between two sides here: Believing the Nonwalled humans are regular people and the Walled humans having something secret about them
Speaking of that, The Walls worshipers church must be hiding something. I am surprised that after what happened to that pastor in S2 and after the coup, they were never mentioned.

Last edited:

AnansiThePersona

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fully expecting, by the time our Scouts get to the Nonwalled civilization... they'll be in the 1980's at this point. Like they're probably ridiculously more advanced than them at this point.

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm finally caught up and WOWOW, the story and mystery turn is incredible. At first I was let down by armor and colossal titan reveal as another Annie situation, but the story can advance so much better because of it. It shifted the focus on it simply being the presumed final boss from s1 viewpoint to being just tools to carry out some sort of truth/conspiracy. Loved the dynamic of having to fight against their friends and what this will mean for Armin. When everyone was cheering on the team's sucess, the shot of team's back as Erin clutched the books looked stoic. I wonder if any truth they learned made them either angry at the internal officials or depressed.

Oct 25, 2017
If you feel uncomfortable that it is invoking the Star of David and armbands and stuff - and make no mistake it obviously is - its completely understandable. Just trust me in that its going somewhere.