• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
This thread is a fascinating way to tell who lives north in south on this country and who actually looks at the romance isle at their local Barnes and Nobles.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Let me just post this cherry picked, out of context song lyric to try and generate outrage. What the actual fuck is this thread?

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
Dec 2, 2021
It's poorly written and shallow( there is no point in time, past present or future where there's not also bad things happening), but I don't know if I'd say it's problematic. At most is it's overly simplistic and comes off as a bit performative. The verse would work a lot better if started off as her fantasizing about the 1830s, then transitioned into acknowledging the horrors of the times. Something like

But your Prince Charming
probably would slaves
And that fancy dress and mansion
Was built by them
And one day you'll have a daughter
Married off to a man twice her age

Ultimately though, it's just a weird choice of time period and the concept would hit a lot harder if it was pointing out the flaws in nostalgia for a time much more recent and relevant to her like 2010. Like being nostalgic for a time when she was younger and early in her career, but remembering gay marriage was still illegal in a lot of the US, we were still in the midst of the war in Iraq, etc.

Mar 19, 2021
I don't think she wrote the lyrics for people but rather herself so why should she need to evoke a decade people can relate to officer?

Because a) she does not just "write the lyrics for herself", that assumption is fully idiotic and b) songwriting works better when people can relate to it, always has. I've been taught ITT that some people can relate to it so it's cool, doesn't mean I have to think she's good at songwriting, especially considering the rest of the song's lyrics are just as bad.

Artios

Sep 29, 2021
Because a) she does not just "write the lyrics for herself", that assumption is fully idiotic and b) songwriting works better when people can relate to it, always has. I've been taught ITT that some people can relate to it so it's cool, doesn't mean I have to think she's good at songwriting, especially considering the rest of the song's lyrics are just as bad.
She is writing about her personal experiences and sharing them. While she is not writing for herself, she doesn't have to change it to make it "more relatable", which isn't really the point of that lyrics anyway.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
It's poorly written and shallow( there is no point in time, past present or future where there's not also bad things happening), but I don't know if I'd say it's problematic. At most is it's overly simplistic and comes off as a bit performative. The verse would work a lot better if started off as her fantasizing about the 1830s, then transitioned into acknowledging the horrors of the times. Something like

But your Prince Charming
probably would slaves
And that fancy dress and mansion
Was built by them
And one day you'll have a daughter
Married off to a man twice her age

Ultimately though, it's just a weird choice of time period and the concept would hit a lot harder if it was pointing out the flaws in nostalgia for a time much more recent and relevant to her like 2010. Like being nostalgic for a time when she was younger and early in her career, but remembering gay marriage was still illegal in a lot of the US, we were still in the midst of the war in Iraq, etc.
People don't sit around fantasizing about the 2010's though. They want to be isekai'd off to some long gone period and swept off their feet (which is why the following line also makes a point about women being bid off).

If this had been written in the 90's it would probably be the late 1800's prairie life instead.

Mar 19, 2021
She is writing about her personal experiences and sharing them. While she is not writing for herself, she doesn't have to change it to make it "more relatable", which isn't really the point of that lyrics anyway.

I can still find it dumb, there's plenty of people that know how to share their personal experiences better.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States

Her entire career is is based on her personal experiences and relationships. She resonates with her fan base so much because of the parasocial relationships that are formed because they feel like they know her on a personal level. They don't like her because "She's just like me!", they like her because they feel a friendship bond with her, imagined or otherwise.

Mar 19, 2021
Her entire career is is based on her personal experiences and relationships. She resonates with her fan base so much because of the parasocial relationships that are formed because they feel like they know her on a personal level. They don't like her because "She's just like me!", they like her because they feel a friendship bond with her, imagined or otherwise.

Obviously, otherwise she wouldn't be as big as she is. I personally find the majority just a bit bad and juvenile but that doesn't mean that others can't like it lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Literally who? White Americans?

TIL people who enjoy media like:

Bridgerton, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Barry Lyndon.

Are all racist Americans.

She's obviously referencing the romantic period of fancy parties and ball gowns that a bunch of classic romance novels set in the period are still popular today. And in the same sentence is literally saying well yeah except all the obvious bad stuff.

What the heck are we even talking about. If she was like "plantations are so pretty except all of the bad stuff" I'd agree.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I disagree, many of the best written songs are completely unrelatable. The Thong Song, for example. Or Kid A, completely unrelatable, great songwriting. Or backstreet boys' I Want It That Way. I implore you to tell me what way constitutes "wanting it" in that song. Nonetheless, amazingly written song.

Songwriting is an art, and art is not about being relatable. It is about evoking something.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Media literacy or not, that is some bottom-tier songwriting. You also don't evoke the 1830's when you try to awkwardly reference people's rose-tinted view of nostalgia, you evoke a decade that people can actually relate to. I always felt her music was pretty much made for basic white Americans and she hasn't done anything that would change that opinion tbh.

Again, the entire song is about how she hates the small town she lives in and retreats to her imagination to escape it.

People in small towns 100% have nostalgia for the Antebellum period that they pass on to their kids. When taken in context of the whole song, her bringing up "the racism and sexism" doesn't ring as her having some idyllic dream of the 1830s, but instead a take that at this entire culture she clearly doesn't like.

I doubt she picked the time period by accident.

Mar 19, 2021
TIL people who enjoy media like:

Bridgerton, Jane Eyre, Pride and Prejudice, Barry Lyndon.

Are all racist Americans.

Yeah because that's exactly what I said :)

I disagree, many of the best written songs are completely unrelatable. The Thong Song, for example. Or Kid A, completely unrelatable, great songwriting. Or backstreet boys' I Want It That Way. I implore you to tell me what way constitutes "wanting it" in that song. Nonetheless, amazingly written song.

Songwriting is an art, and art is not about being relatable. It is about evoking something.

The Thong Song and I Want It That Way are definitely some of the best songwriting, yes.

WardFail

Jul 30, 2022
United States
Literally who? White Americans?

I have ancestors that have lived on the Texas/Mexico border for centuries. I have an amazing photograph of a relative on horseback, in full caballero attire, on a random South Texas dirt road and a legit saloon in the background. I'm sure that era was ruthless but it's still not hard for me to romanticize it on some level knowing that a part of me was roaming around all the way back then.

Mar 19, 2021
Again, the entire song is about how she hates the small town she lives in and retreats to her imagination to escape it.

People in small towns 100% have nostalgia for the Antebellum period that they pass on to their kids. When taken in context of the whole song, her bringing up "the racism and sexism" doesn't ring as her having some idyllic dream of the 1830s, but instead a take that at this entire culture she clearly doesn't like.

I doubt she picked the time period by accident.

I have ancestors that have lived on the Texas/Mexico border for centuries. I have an amazing photograph of a relative on horseback, in full caballero attire, on a random South Texas dirt road and a legit saloon in the background. I'm sure that era was ruthless but it's still not hard for me to romanticize it on some level knowing that a part of me was roaming around all the way back then.

Been already taught about this above by someone else, I'm not American but I love the lyrics now so you can all stop quoting me on this!

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
I am no swiftie but people can't read, can't understand context and are looking for something to get mad at on the internet, so it must be a day ending in Y. This then gets used to dig at her for any reason the Royal you does not like her or because her song or music video scared your cat/
dog/turtle.

The dregs of discourse about her jet is way way WAY elevated compared to this. You have the reading comprehension of a roomba if this makes you legitimately angry lmfao

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
She also doesn't want to play GTA so what are we even doing here?

Ashionok

Nov 7, 2022
the problem I have is all legitimate criticisms of Taylor are drowned about by absolutely idiotic ones.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Locking the thread. The original OP is based upon crafted ragebait meant to take the lyrics out of context.

Status
Not open for further replies.