• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2017
Recap so far (on mobile so correct me if wrong)

Endgame
$770,805,870 domestic to date with this weekend estimate
$1,844,000,000 foreign
=$2,614,805,870

$760,507,625 domestic
$2,027,457,462 foreign
=$2,787,965,087

Last edited:

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
my non-nerd SO asked me if "Avatar 2 was out" because there were some signs of an Avatar musical a few weeks ago. Avatar 2 is gonna be big I think

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The "no one liked Avatar!" stuff is some of the more strange revisionism I've seen around here. It was factually universally well received by critics and audiences. Factually.
I didn't say no one liked Avatar.
People went for the 3-d, not because the story or characters are memorable.
Yep, this also helped too. I certainly didn't find the characters and story to be memorable.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I first saw Avatar in 3D in the very first row of an IMAX theater. I need to see it again in proper seats in Dolby at least. Hopefully it gets re-released.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I first saw Avatar in 3D in the very first row of an IMAX theater. I need to see it again in proper seats in Dolby at least. Hopefully it gets re-released.
Yeah, a re-release would be nice. This movie just doesn't have the same impact int 2D.

It's so weird that 3D TVs died while releasing a big budget movie without 3D is unthinkable nowadays.

jacket

Oct 25, 2017
Endgame
$770,805,870 domestic to date with this weekend estimate
$1,793,400,000 foreign as of 5/15/19
=$2,564,205,870

$760,507,625 domestic
$2,027,457,462 foreign
=$2,787,965,087
8WKn6HV.gif

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I think it's time people recognize that people connected with Avatar's story and characters, at least at the time. However, I don't think people really remember them or are dying to see them again, in 2019.

But there was an emotional connection there that contributed to its success.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao, so now all of the sudden that endgame might not reach it, avatar is propped up again. People change their minds quick.

Iceternal

Oct 28, 2017
I think it's time people at least recognize that people connected with Avatar's story and characters, at least at the time. However, I don't think people really remember them or are dying to see them again. But there was an emotional connection there that greatly contributed to its success.
No one I know that saw it did. It's purely anecdotal but still..

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
People in France all went to see it but no one I know really liked it. It was all about the 3D. The marketing campaign was all about the 3D and that's why everyone went. It was a major novelty.
Eh. 15 million tickets sold. The majority of successful Hollywood blockbusters stop at 5 million. And most superhero films at around 2 or 3 million.
It wouldn't have ended up with this number without good word of mouth.
And I say this as someone who didn't particularly like it. But the revisionist history around Avatar is just weird. It was a conversation topic for a while back then, and not just because of the 3d.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
more avatar gifs please. that movie is so gorgeous for a movie 10 years old. Like, how the fuck is CGI so bad that Avatar still crushes them?

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I've enjoyed pretty much every MCU movie and it still amazes me when people criticize Avatar for being too similar to Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves while simultaneously praising the originality of the 22nd movie in a franchise.

Considering Cameron's record with sequels (Terminator 2 and Aliens are both widely considered to be two of the best action movies ever), I expect Avatar 2 to be fantastic. I enjoyed the story of the first one and the characters.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
People shitting on Avatar while stanning for super hero films will always be funny
Super hero films have beloved characters that go back decades. There's a lot of emotional bandwidth to mine there.

The Avatar stanning I'm hoping is just Big Jimbo stanning, cause Avatar is far less memorable than his other movies imo. I hope Avatar 2 is a lot different. It pretty much has to be

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I know there's other variations, but we could get a see endgame 616 times for earth-616?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Super hero films have beloved characters that go back decades. There's a lot of emotional bandwidth to mine there.

The Avatar stanning I'm hoping is just Big Jimbo stanning, cause Avatar is far less memorable than his other movies imo. I hope Avatar 2 is a lot different. It pretty much has to be
So people went and saw Avatar that many times and bought it that many times just to stan for James?

That's a take, I guess.

Nope, because I remember movies from way, way before avatar.

So you have trouble focusing? I still think it's a memory thing. You seem to forget pockets of time. Like, you say you cannot remember X but you can remember things before X? You should probably look into that.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
I've enjoyed pretty much every MCU movie and it still amazes me when people criticize Avatar for being too similar to Pocahontas and Dances with Wolves while simultaneously praising the originality of the 22nd movie in a franchise.

Considering Cameron's record with sequels (Terminator 2 and Aliens are both widely considered to be two of the best action movies ever), I expect Avatar 2 to be fantastic. I enjoyed the story of the first one and the characters.
I am hoping Avatar 2 will be better than the 1st one and it has a chance to be. Yes, Terminator 2 and Aliens are fantastic movies and easily some of the best movies out there.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Even if Endgame doesn't pass Avatar it in it's initial release I still think it will pass Avatar's initial release.

Then the re-release next year will push it past Avatar.
Implying Avatar won't get a re-release of its own? If any movie is probably deserving, it's Avatar. Is 3D implementation is *still* the gold standard. I'd pay to see it again in 3D on a big screen.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Why does it sound like that if it's true? It's just what I'm saying.
Because you are lying. There's more to the movie than its amazing visuals. I don't know what's stranger, the fact that people don't want to accept Avatar is critically a good film or people want to say it's not a good film because of some weird arbitrary reason. Like, what reason is there to deny its quality? It's one of the most baffling mysteries of the century.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I think re-releases in theaters should be counted as a separate box office run.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So it's still 150m behind, and with more heavy hitters coming starting next weekend?

So what are we putting the odds at it making it happen? Gimmie a %, those of you who observe these sorts of things regularly.

End Game is only ~$150m away from passing Avatar.

Of course it will get there.

Sometime in June, I reckon.
Even with all these other big movies coming out and the likelihood that everyone who wanted to see Endgame has almost surely seen it by now?

Are you really that confident?

Status
Not open for further replies.