• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Now that Endgame has had a re-release, at what stage are you that Avatar will remain #1 of all time?

• Acceptance

Votes: 142 68.9%
  • Acceptance

Votes: 64 31.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Endgame is $225 million away from passing Avatar.
That is not quite ~$150 million and exactly 50% more than $150 million

International legs will decide the outcome.
It will be super close and any movie could easily end up higher.

$850 million domestic is the ceiling
So nearly 1.95bn international is needed.
That would be $150 million more internationally.
Endgame is at 2.615B which is $172M away

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018

What are you talking about?

Endgame is at $2.615 billion with the weekend estimate.

Infinity War did $240M more after its 4th weekend.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Endgame is at 2.615B which is $172M away
Well in that case the numbers posted here 2 hours ago are wrong.

I went with this:

Recap so far (on mobile so correct me if wrong)

Endgame
$770,805,870 domestic to date with this weekend estimate
$1,793,400,000 foreign as of 5/15/19
=$2,564,205,870

$760,507,625 domestic
$2,027,457,462 foreign
=$2,787,965,087

Makes it more likely, that Endgame would beat Avatar.

What are you talking about?

Endgame is at $2.615 billion with the weekend estimate.

Infinity War did $240M more after its 4th weekend.
Look above. That is what I was talking about.
Seems like the numbers weren't quite correct.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's time people recognize that people connected with Avatar's story and characters, at least at the time. However, I don't think people really remember them or are dying to see them again, in 2019.

But there was an emotional connection there that contributed to its success.

Indeed. It's not just 3D. I've said this before, but 3D only enhanced what was already in the movie.

It's not like it had a huge weekend in December, then petered out. It made a consistent amount of money for literally months.

Domestically, it didn't drop below $10m a week until mid-March.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekly&id=avatar.htm

It also didn't do what it did without competition as some people like to claim, during the Holiday season Sherlock Holmes and Alvin and the Chipmunks 2 were out, which went on to gross over 200M each domestically.

Last edited:

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Even with all these other big movies coming out and the likelihood that everyone who wanted to see Endgame has almost surely seen it by now?

Are you really that confident?

Given that it's a direct sequel to EG, my assumption was that some fans might rewatch EG in anticipation for SM2.

But given the difference is $225M, not $150M, I may have overestimated EGs legs.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's not gatekeeping, it's an observation.

It's just odd for something that was THAT big that there's nothing memorable about it. Even far less financially successful movies leave a longer lasting impact in pop culture.
Why is that so hard for a few of you to understand?
OK? That's gatekeeping. What leaves a pop culture impact isn't decided by sales or money. Pokemon is a huge brand but it did less than stellar at the box office. You aren't saying anything about the film. You are just trying to find ways to tear it down. It's sad, kind of because you assume that if people enjoy something that they must propagate that content and eventually have it become part of their identity. That's weird. I am so glad most people do not think that way.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Hadn't realized the new Box Office thread was posted.

EG currently at $2.615B.

Given that it fell below $30M domestic for the week, I don't see where the remaining $172M can come from.

+1
Yeah, it was just updated recently. It looks like it needs those legs now because the next few weeks are going to be rough!!!

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I don't follow movie figures too often, do other movies typically get a boost for the upcoming holiday weekend? It basically becomes a 4 day weekend of sorts for movies too right?

OP
OP
PhoncipleBone

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I don't follow movie figures too often, do other movies typically get a boost for the upcoming holiday weekend? It basically becomes a 4 day weekend of sorts for movies too right?
Yes, which softens the drop a bit because Sunday behaves more like Saturday. For instance, Infinity War had a 41% drop on memorial day weekend last year compared to the 52.6% drop the week before.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
Infinity War didn't also open like Bahamuts final attack. It legged out. Endgame opened huge and is currently legging out worse than Infinity War.

If you're talking about %, then I completely agree. $ wise, depending the final numbers, it may be up against IW 4th weekend. Like I said, IW did over $240M after this weekend. Endgame only need $173M ish.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The funny thing is, Avatar still had like a 20% 2D share domestic. If that is similar WW Avatar made like 540 million WW just from 2D showings. Certainly nothing to sneeze at.
If a re-release happens I will catch it again in IMAX 3D. It was that good

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the "people only saw Avatar because of the 3D" is disingenuous revisionism up there with "no one liked it!"

You dont become the #1 box office movie of all time from 3D alone. If it were that simple, why was its success never replicated? If the 3D was the only thing people cared about, why was it the best selling 2D Bluray of all time for 6 years? You know how you get to be #1 all time? Word of mouth and repeat business. Lots of repeat business. Avatar had great word of mouth and people went and saw it more than once. Whether it was "memorable" 10 years later or had "cultural impact" 10 years later is completely irrelevant. For the almost year long box office run it had, it connected with people.

PS your favorite current superhero movie has benefited significantly more from premium formats (ie, 3D) than Avatar ever did.

I just dont know why it's so hard for people here to admit it was a well liked movie.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
If Endgame beats Avatar, will the MCU finally have the validation it deserves?

If anyone is still looking for some kind of "validation" for their taste in literally the most popular media phenomenon in the last decade, possibly ever...then yeah, sure.

Maybe those people should just check their priorities instead, though.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Yeah, the "people only saw Avatar because of the 3D" is disingenuous revisionism up there with "no one liked it!"

You dont become the #1 box office movie of all time from 3D alone. If it were that simple, why was its success never replicated? If the 3D was the only thing people cared about, why was it the best selling 2D Bluray of all time for 6 years? You know how you get to be #1 all time? Word of mouth and repeat business. Lots of repeat business. Avatar had great word of mouth and people went and saw it more than once. Whether it was "memorable" 10 years later or had "cultural impact" 10 years later is completely irrelevant. For the almost year long box office run it had, it connected with people.

PS your favorite current superhero movie has benefited significantly more from premium formats (ie, 3D) than Avatar ever did.

I just dont know why it's so hard for people here to admit it was a well liked movie.

Damn true. Still remember how it took hours to get into Avatar land in Disney world. Don't know how it is now.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

The pop culture aspect is so weird. Like unless you accidentally made a cult film, who still talks about IPs with absolutely nothing going on after 10 years? The first thing for Avatar since 2009 was the bloody theme park if my memory serves me right

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know why they love the taste of cinnamon toast crunch

chocolate-frosted-sugar-bombs-calvin-hobbes-3.gif

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
Does somebody have a link to that Detective Pikachu bet thread? I've been looking and somehow not finding it

Status
Not open for further replies.