Status
Not open for further replies.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
on Bruce Banner, this is the first time Russo Bros ever directed the Hulk and I think this is one character that they completely missed the mark on.

I'm no fan of Wheadon but atleast he handled Banner/Hulk way better than the Russos.

So yeah, the handling of Bruce Banner does bring down some points to the movie for me.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I know why he was there, but the Collector was one person. It wasn't like he was fighting an army.

Smokeymicpot

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or has Ruffalo felt... off... in the last few movies, Ragnarok and now this?

I don't think he was bad or anything and I loved the HAHA YOU'RE ALL SCREWED NOW! when Thor joins the foray, but something about him seems bizarre, like he's not all there or something.

Or is that intentional? Maybe I missed something.

I felt the same. He seemed out of it a ton. At times I do wonder how these movies would be like if Ed Norton never got booted.

Helel

Oct 27, 2017
Gamora has definitely never felt like the fiercest woman in the universe. It feels like Black Widow would beat her from what we have seen on screen.

To be fair, he's talking about his daughter. Every daughter is the fiercest woman in the universe in the messed up mind of an alien father who wants to extinguish half of all life in the universe.

Da-Kid

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
You guys know what sucks the most, even though Marvel wouldn't have done it... They could have Incorporated the original way Spider-Man got the Symbiote easily in this movie.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Eeeewwww why Disney toned down Thanos at that thing loving Gamora to be more simpatetic as a villain that sole thing killed the movie for me, not Death , bullshit origin , crappy Titan planet destruction and less ego Thanos

I was dreading for him to kill the avengers but nope, everyone turned into a cheap ashes thing.
They did not intend him to be "sympathetic" by murdering his adopted daughter. They wanted him to be humanized, that he was genuinely attached to her.
Why are you so dismissive of anything that isn't "lol I wanna bone booby skeleton"?

Do you really think that would work on screen?

Greendomo

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much everyone alive at the end was who I thought was going to die. So maybe next one, rather than being able to undo everything they invert it somehow, so the people who died survive, and the others (including Thanos) cease to exist.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
And he can't even steal Bucky's arm now. Well, he bonded pretty well with Thor, so maybe they can go an adventure of avenging.

The fact that A) Asgard is fucking done and B) Thor had good chemistry with the Guardians makes me hope even more that, once Gunn finishes his GOTG trilogy, we get Taika Waititi's Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Thor, Valkyrie, Korg, Rocket, Groot, and... I dunno, Mantis? Let's say Mantis.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Is it just me or has Ruffalo felt... off... in the last few movies, Ragnarok and now this?

I don't think he was bad or anything and I loved the HAHA YOU'RE ALL SCREWED NOW! when Thor joins the foray, but something about him seems bizarre, like he's not all there or something.

For me it's because Bruce feels like the dumbest genius.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
paq97eslv96yno6pckcy.gif
That's just sibling rivalry.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
I guess I can buy that, if that's the case. It's just something I've felt a bit jarring lately.

I feel like it's a halmark of Ruffalo's performance as Banner, he sells the paranoia so well. And like, as soon as he became more comfortable with his Hulk situation in Avengers 1, the rampage in Ultron happened and he never really got an opportunity to process everything that's happened since then.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess I can buy that, if that's the case. It's just something I've felt a bit jarring lately.

I get what you mean, actually. I attribute it to Banner being far more unstable in the first Avengers, despite having the Hulk "under control." By Age of Ultron he's gotten to a more confident place where they can usually tame the Hulk, and that's even reflected in his normal conversation with people. Still a bit nervous, but has it more together.

By the time Ragnarok rolls around, he's been trapped in his own head for two years, sidelined as another personality controls his body and he can only watch (I'm assuming he's at least partially conscious in there since he described an internal struggle between him and Hulk for control). Imagine being in solitary confinement for a couple years, then wrestling your way out after seeing your ex on a screen, and finding yourself on an alien planet with a much more affable Thor and no one else. All of that's going to mess with you mentally, for sure. To me, it seems like he's become far more social just by virtue of finally having people to talk to. He talks faster, he seems to have less of a filter and speaks whatever's in his brain because he's been literally unable to for so long.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

That's kinda just how he acts. He's the same in other films or in interviews.

Just That Simple

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
It's people feeling excitement, hardly something for anyone to grumble about. If you really desire a movie-watching experience totally isolated from others, then don't watch movies at the cinema, as easy as that.
Or people can watch the film in silence and be respectful of others? Other than a few special screenings where fan interaction is the point, I've never had a time where people were cheering during a film. Either just laughing at jokes or maybe gasps at surprising moments.

I'm not going to wait a few extra months to see something just because people want to scream at the screens.

broncobuster

Oct 26, 2017
I know why he was there, but the Collector was one person. It wasn't like he was fighting an army.

It's been a while since last seeing GotG1, but I want to say the Collector was meant to get the purple stone for Ronan to give to Thanos? Maybe Thanos was making it personal because Collector slighted him.

Speaking of which, I guess that planet from GotG1 got wrecked off screen. Maybe John C Reilly and Glenn Close were part of the 50% to survive.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else think this was the most quotable MCU film?

"OK no more pop culture references from you!"

"How much for the gun? It's not for sale. OK how much for the arm"

"You're one sandwich away from being fat"

"Who's my Master? Am I supposed to say Jesus?" (Is that a joke that Chris Pratt is religious)

"Is Footloose still the greatest movie of all time? It never was"

I have to see it again, I've forgotten a lot of them now"

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah if you're wanting an actor to run in a room and deliver the most urgent message in the history of the world, Mark Ruffalo probably isn't the best choice.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
It's been a while since last seeing GotG1, but I want to say the Collector was meant to get the purple stone for Ronan to give to Thanos? Maybe Thanos was making it personal because Collector slighted him.

Speaking of which, I guess that planet from GotG1 got wrecked off screen. Maybe John C Reilly and Glenn Close were part of the 50% to survive.
The Collector wanted to buy the Power stone just to have it, he had nothing to do with Thanos or Ronan.

Oct 25, 2017

"Who's my Master? Am I supposed to say Jesus?" (Is that a joke that Chris Pratt is religious)

NO, I'll do you one better, why is Gamora!

Skux

Oct 26, 2017

I think he was written more as a lighter character in this film to help balance out the serious ones. There are plenty of no-nonsense white dudes in the film already.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Just got back from seeing it...

Can a movie be too much? Don't get me wrong, I loved it - I've been reading these characters, including all the Thanos stuff, since the early '70s, so seeing it all on a movie screen was insane. But it was just too much to take in. As in, "oh, you love pizza? Here's 20 pizzas - eat them all now!!!"

And more than any other Marvel movie, I think this is the one that really can't exist on it's own, and needs most of the previous movies to make sense. A few of the other Marvel movies needed other movies to make sense too, but nothing even close to this one.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017

That's just funny lines, too, there's a hell of a lot of good dramatic lines too, mainly from Thanos.

0VERBYTE

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why are we not talking about how insane SCARLET WITCH was in this movie? Huh? She took out all of those mechanical ripper things in one fucking move. She was insanely powerful in this film. I cant remember but was she one of the ones that got erased?

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Or people can watch the film in silence and be respectful of others? Other than a few special screenings where fan interaction is the point, I've never had a time where people were cheering during a film. Either just laughing at jokes or maybe gasps at surprising moments.

I'm not going to wait a few extra months to see something just because people want to scream at the screens.

That sucks, because the audience reaction is one of the main reasons to see a movie like Avengers on a theater. The movies flow with the audience.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
If I'm not mistaken Ragnarok and IW are the first and only times that Banner hasn't been written by Joss. And written and directed by different people both times right? So along with the character trauma, there's bound to be some inconsistency there as he's transitioning both in and out of character.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia

Eh, of course clapping etc etc is not going to feel appropriate for all scenes in all the movies. In somber movies like for example The Shape of Water or A Quiet Place I too would feel annoyed if people are clapping etc etc nily wily, but eh for me personally people clapping or perhaps yelling "YES!" because they feel excited due to hyped-up scenes in movies like this one is really not something worth being mad over.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think Banner is just in the trajectory of some arc that isn't clear yet. Hulk is increasingly a unique sentience instead of just an aspect of Banner's personality, like they are two people.

Maybe as Hulk gets smarter, Bruce gets dumber? Banner got to be the brute beating ass in this one, so maybe a smart Hulk shows up in the next one?

Ashby

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think Banner is just in the trajectory of some arc that isn't clear yet. Hulk is increasingly a unique sentience instead of just an aspect of Banner's personality, like they are two people.

Maybe as Hulk gets smarter, Bruce gets dumber? Banner got to be the brute beating ass in this one, so maybe a smart Hulk shows up in the next one?
lmfao you didn't have to do Banner like this

Da-Kid

Banned
Apr 3, 2018

"Where is Gomora?! Who is Gomora?! ......Why is Gamora?!"

"Kicking names, taking ass."

"I am Groot!" "I am Steve Rogers."

"You're gonna embarrass me in front of wizards?"

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe when they hit an equilibrium we'll get Grey Hulk.

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just got back from seeing it...

Can a movie be too much? Don't get me wrong, I loved it - I've been reading these characters, including all the Thanos stuff, since the early '70s, so seeing it all on a movie screen was insane. But it was just too much to take in. As in, "oh, you love pizza? Here's 20 pizzas - eat them all now!!!"

And more than any other Marvel movie, I think this is the one that really can't exist on it's own, and needs most of the previous movies to make sense. A few of the other Marvel movies needed other movies to make sense too, but nothing even close to this one.

I feel like in order to make this movie how they wanted, that had to be the case. If this movie had to pause for any previous-film-exposition it would have broken an already stretched movie. As a Polygon article on this puts it:

I'm not writing this to criticize the film. A movie with this many characters would end up being only exposition if relationships were re-explained, or context was provided for why Captain America suddenly showing up is a very big deal indeed. Part of the reason the dialogue can move so fast and the script can keep so many plates spinning at once is that Marvel doesn't need to spend time reminding fans of what's going on. The studio has to trust the audience for Infinity War to exist at all.

All that being said, Infinity War is a triumph of confidence and planning. A movie likes this could only work if the previous movies had absolutely dominated pop culture for the past decade, and the Marvel Cinematic Universe has. Forget Thanos — Marvel launched this movie as if it had already put together all the Infinity Stones, and Infinity War is what happens when the company snaps its fingers.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/28/1...ty-war-marvel-spider-man-black-panther-disney

And as someone else said but I totally forget, this movie is like Marvel's victory lap.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You don't have to wait months. Just don't go to theaters during the busy times of day. I went to an afternoon screening, and the theater wasn't even half full. And quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.