• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
I really enjoyed that ending. It had such impact, and I'll be sorely disappointed if they just bring back everyone who got murked.

Also Star Lord can fuck right off, ruining everything. Get yo ass erased.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Naked Koopa

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanos is a super villain, it would be very entertaining to see him double the ressources and have eneryone be happy.

God some of you sound so stupid trying to make a super hero movie's plot stupid.

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
Okay I'm jumping right into this thread because I want to know whether I should bother with the MCU at all or just leave it. I've heard great things about this movie and I'm interested in watching it, but my experience with MCU movies has not been great. I've watched the following movies:

-Iron Man: I thought it was okay for a one time watch, but I have no desire to watch the sequels
-The First Avenger: Turned it off after 20 minutes
-Spider Man Homecoming: Also turned it off after about 20 minutes
-The Avengers: I thought this movie was decent and I'd be down to watch more

Now... I haven't watched Age of Ultron to this day for whatever reason, but all these great reviews of Infinity War make me want to watch it. Should I bother?

Also I'm interested in Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther, how do these hold up compared to the ones I've seen? I don't like it when I have to watch other movies to even understand what's going on which was a huge problem for Spider Man Homecoming for me, I had no friggin clue what happened and just turned it off. The Avengers was fine though. Surprisingly, I didn't expect it either.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Why doesn't he just create infinite infinity gauntlets then everyone can create their own resources on demand.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Just seen it. Not that fussed myself. All the scope in the world to undo a bunch of things "cos time travel". Lessens the impact when that is involved.

For the record none of the Avengers films have done much for me at all. Dr Strange was funny and Black Panther was amazing. The rest, meh, and this is the same. If you're invested in the characters then I understand the "woah holy shit" factor for the fans. The films just don't do much for me as movies individually and this was just an almost non stop non descript messy fight from scene to scene.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Can't just Thanos just create new planets with the Infinity Stones and moved people there instead of killing half of the population? Or at least find suitable planets using the same power?

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Dr. Strange could have rewound time to before Quill started punching Thanos, or portaled him across Titan before he landed a blow. He chose to let him punch Thanos.

Deleted member 3815

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone going "why didn't Thanos double resources with the glove?" really need to remember that Thanos has been carrying genocide long before he got the glove, he's too far deep in the rabbit hole to see an alternative viable solution that doesn't involve wiping out half the population in the universe.

Sorian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
On a smaller scale, he wanted to commit genocide on his own planet in a situation where he couldn't just increase the natural resources. They ignored him and the planet went extinct so he wants to validate himself by now doing that plan on a galaxy wide scale. He wants to "save" the universe just as much as he wants that specific validation.

Oct 25, 2017
I've already explained how infinte resources by itself is an insanely unfeasible task but ok, complain that people are tired about this meme that gets repeated every page

And yes, his plan is LOGICAL. It's not GOOD, or maybe the BEST plan, but it's LOGICAL. There is finite space on a planet (and please don't go into "why doesnt he make every planet infinite in space" because that would be fucking imposssible", limited resources, and too many people or things using those resources. Instead of the headache of getting a community group from each planet of trillions to tell him what they need, how much, what they don't need, and make trillions of specifications, he can just snap his fingers and kill half of everyone. Will it be a permanent solution? No. Is it long term as shit? Yeah.

Deleted member 20295

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thanos "you should have gone for the head".
/SNAP
Thor "what did you do?"
Thanos "I doubled the universes resources!".
Thor 'really?, neat".

Thor "you ever try Sharma?, I hear there's a really good place nearby".

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
So, let's wipe out civilization so they can't wipe out themselves?

What civilizations get wiped out? He just resets the population a bit to before it gets too large to sustain. He doesn't care about individual lives so he does what worked for him before.

It seems pretty clear that he likes controlling people's lives. Doubling resources doesn't give him control or power.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm jumping right into this thread because I want to know whether I should bother with the MCU at all or just leave it. I've heard great things about this movie and I'm interested in watching it, but my experience with MCU movies has not been great. I've watched the following movies:

-Iron Man: I thought it was okay for a one time watch, but I have no desire to watch the sequels

Now... I haven't watched Age of Ultron to this day for whatever reason, but all these great reviews of Infinity War make me want to watch it. Should I bother?

Also I'm interested in Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther, how do these hold up compared to the ones I've seen? I don't like it when I have to watch other movies to even understand what's going on which was a huge problem for Spider Man Homecoming for me, I had no friggin clue what happened and just turned it off. The Avengers was fine though. Surprisingly, I didn't expect it either.

Why did you turn those off after 20 minutes? The answer to those questions would help.

But also, you should see Guardians of the Galaxy, Civil War, and Thor: Ragnarok at minimum before watching Infinity War... or large parts of it won't make sense. Also they're all good movies.

Additionally if you're going to watch Civil War, you should watch The Winter Soldier first -- which is also a good movie.

Don't watch Age of Ultron. It's not good and not necessary to understand Infinity War. If you don't like any of the aforementioned movies, you probably won't like Infinity War.

Oct 27, 2017
I've already explained how infinte resources by itself is an insanely unfeasible task but ok, complain that people are tired about this meme that gets repeated every page

And yes, his plan is LOGICAL. It's not GOOD, or maybe the BEST plan, but it's LOGICAL. There is finite space on a planet (and please don't go into "why doesnt he make every planet infinite in space" because that would be fucking imposssible", limited resources, and too many people or things using those resources. Instead of the headache of getting a community group from each planet of trillions to tell him what they need, how much, what they don't need, and make trillions of specifications, he can just snap his fingers and kill half of everyone. Will it be a permanent solution? No. Is it long term as shit? Yeah.
The infinity stones can change reality, nothing is impossible or unfeasible with them

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest every single other solution that people come up with also has issues. Or rather not that it has issues but there could be another better solution one could come up with using an Infinity Gauntlet.

Unlimited resources? How would this work? The Infinity Gauntlet is fried now, it did one fantastical thing and now it can't be used anymore. Unlimited resources need some sort of power source and with the gauntlet fried it is no longer possible to continuously create resources.

Double resources? Same issue as halving the population, eventually the resources will get used up.

Create planned parenthoods across the galaxy and condoms? Setting aside how dumb this actually sounds, not every species is going to have same type of reproduction systems. And how do you get around species education and religious belief? What do you think is going to happen when you magically create a bunch of planned parenthood clinics in Groot's homeworld? Groot reproduces asexually, how are you going to fix that?

Halve the fertility rate? This is pretty bad also. Halving fertility rate in some species might not change the issue at all, it will just slow down their demise. For some species, they might go from producing on average 2 offsprings to 1 and thus will eventually get wiped out. So you are either slowing down the process or you are making an alternative way in which a specifies becomes extinct.

Thanos made the best call based on what has worked for him in the past. He has limited knowledge of how things work and in his experience, culling the population creates a better world (at the very least temporarily). It worked on every planet he did it on and we don't know how old Thanos actually is. As Gamora told Thanos "you don't know that" because he hasn't lived for an eternity to know if his plan works in the long run. And thus with that limited knowledge of success in the short term, he made the decision.

He is a villain with a flaw in logic... like most villains do. He may have good intentions but he is going about it the wrong way hence making him the villain. I am interested in how they grow his character in the sequel... maybe he feels some remorse. Maybe he thinks that he could have done things differently.

All I know is that it has been days since we saw the movie and we are still talking about Thanos. I forgot about someone like Steppenwolf or Ronin the Accuser the second I walked out of the theater.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
How does Thanos understand how to use the time stone when Dr. Strange had to learn how to use it?

Deleted member 5864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Move on.

Oct 25, 2017

I don't feel inclined to convince to you watch this movie based on the provided information. You sound like a guy who just wants to be part of a conversation for the sake of not feeling left out. It's OK to skip some things. There are other things.

Nov 8, 2017
It really does solve all the problems though.

The argument is that although he is extremely efficient, capable of rationally undertaking plans to pursue his goals, vanquishing all of the most powerful civilizations in the galaxy, and accomplishing a feat no other person ever has (assembling all infinity stones), he is crazy in just one very specific way. Furthermore, nobody in the film ever presents any counterarguments to his proposals, they only say vague things like "but you don't know that!" and "you're mad". It's painfully obvious to a human of average intellect that there are extremely severe shortcomings of his plan, which does not even accomplish what he wants it to in the long term.

There is of course no reason why the writers had to give him such a stupid plan, and hence it is not above criticism. I'm reminded most strongly of Star Trek 2009, where the villain takes advantage of his time travel not to save his family and planet, but instead to exact revenge for the death of them. In that story there actually was story to explain why this happened, but none of it showed up in the film (only in comics), and therefore it seemed completely inexplicable and the only defense given was "he's crazzzy!"

Oct 26, 2017
Why didn't Thanos double the natural resources?

And if he's so powerful, why didn't he resurrect Gamora?

I mean, if he required a sacrifice of someone he loved to acquire the Soul Stone, then I highly doubt the Stone would allow you to go back and erase the cost.

As for your first question, I have to say, upon second thinking, it's becoming a pretty big flaw. I don't think the filmmakers did a good enough job establishing a link between his motivations + his true intentions (basically have his character think eye-for-an-eye as not only a way to exact vengeance for what happened to him in Titan, but what he sees as a valid worldview).

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Hahaha...

The people coming in like "man I haven't liked an Avengers movie and I don't like this one!"

Really? You expected to like something you haven't two other times? This movie isn't for you. It's for the people who enjoy these movies and have waited 10 years for this culmination.

frankenstrat

Oct 27, 2017
lol, people in my theater on Friday were yelling "CAROL!!!!"
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
How does Thanos understand how to use the time stone when Dr. Strange had to learn how to use it?
strictly speaking, I don't believe he used the time stone until he got the axe to the chest. by then he had the Mind stone and thus access to infinite knowledge and wisdom, connected to all minds in the universe. he would functionally know everything, most certainly including how to use the time stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.