Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
This is accurate.

Gotta echo the rest of you. How did this work this well? I'm baffled.

It's astounding.

Like, Thor using the space pod to propel himself through space like he does with his hammer. That's so ridiculous - you could only pull off that moment after 10 years of work.

It conveys the full scope of comic books, even its ridiculousness, with an ease that seems effortless. Thanos is shattering distorted space, and firing it back through his gauntlet at... what? How do you manage to get to a point where you can put that on screen and everyone isn't rolling their eyes?

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Wow. Been a few hours since I came out but I'm still processing.

Genuinely shocked that they followed the comics that closely. Intense ending.

Black Order looked great but felt like they needed a little more backstory or something. Corvus seemed very under used considering I thought he was the main one, Ebony had the best moments/dialogue/powers by far.
And I'm gutted they didn't even call them by name once, apart from Thanos saying 'The Maw'.

I knew it would be an issue but everyone was fighting for screen time and so many characters felt like they wouldn't have been missed much if they weren't there. Like what did Bucky or Falcon contribute other than just ticking the box of featuring?
Still, having said that I still wish Ant Man and Hawkeye had been there just for the sake of it.

Wasn't a fan of Eitri. Peter doing his same hammy voice an octave lower.

Red Skull was a big surprise... don't really understand the backstory there... long time since I saw the First Avenger.

So Loki and Gamora are gone for good?

And what will the A4 title be, are we any the wiser now?

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
It felt a bit too spread thin at times. And the moment Thanos threw Gamora felt a bit eh. I didn't buy that he really cared for her.

I had to laugh at the end when one of my friends didn't know that there was a part two and thought that it was the real end of the Avengers and was blown away that they'd actually let the bad guy win. Though I am curious how they'll beat him in the movie since he probably won't handicap himself like the comics. Guess that's where the damaged arm/gauntlet come in, maybe even Gamora via the soul gem?

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
happy to see some of you who've had to wait that extra 24 hours coming out and having your minds blown

when i, and others, were giving our reactions on here late last night a lot of you were getting hyped, but i was still thinking to myself 'they have absolutely no idea', 'i just cannot put it into words'

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I saw it today. I loved the whole goofiness of the thing. I waited through the whole end credits for the final scene and was not disappointed. Motherf-

siddx

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Oh and the Drax thinking he is invisible scene had the theater roaring in laughter. It made me wish Drax got to interact with more characters.

Knightywing

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thought the movie was pretty damn solid, and I really liked the ending. The deaths obviously won't stick, since I can't imagine Marvel killing off Spider-Man, Black Panther, etc, for good, but still pretty fun to watch.

However, I do feel like the movie suffers like all the other Marvel movies, when they have a serious moment only to throw a joke at the end. I actually thought Iron Man would make a quip when Spider-Man died, and I was actually surprised when they didn't. Like, when the movie actually want to make a good serious moment, they can totally do it. Like, the heart-to-heart moment between Thor and Rocket is genuinely really good, but I didn't need the joke from Rocket at the end (not the worst example, but still).

But still, good movie and I'm honestly excited for the sequel next year, which I never am for a Marvel movie. So it did a good job.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
peters mannerisms while being told he was getting fat was visual comedy gold... everyone around me was in hysterics. then to finish it off with his deep voice; just an amazing scene all round

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
PVdleCi.png

Haha, they worked real hard in the trailers to push us off the scent. Actually put in Hulk where there was no Hulk?

Also, had the biggest grin when Red Skull appeared.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Gonna go see it again in 30 mins... when does Spider-man supposedly says the line about the future?

Wanna pay attention.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Oh man, I've been back for two hours and sweet baby jesus, as someone who's invested in the MCU, shit hit hard. Gaddamn.

Hypertrooper

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible and entertaining movie.

The only part I did not like was when Thanos appeared in Wakanda. At that moment, I asked myself where the hell is Thor the whole time. Since everyone else appeared magically at that place.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Oh and the Drax thinking he is invisible scene had the theater roaring in laughter. It made me wish Drax got to interact with more characters.

Best lines in the film IMHO were:

1) You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards.
-Tony
2) You are a dude. THIS is a MAN!
-Drax

But the best team-up was Thor and Rocket. #TeamRabbit for the win.

Leveled up Thor is simply boss. Dude put in the work for it too.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Best lines in the film IMHO were:

1) You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards.
-Tony
2) You are a dude. THIS is a MAN!
-Drax

But the best team-up was Thor and Rocket. #TeamRabbit for the win.

Leveled up Thor is simply boss. Dude put in the work for it too.
"Only if it kills me"

"Why is Gamora"

Ned's reaction on the bus.

So many great, little moments.

Deleted member 2809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, James Gunn did that too.
Didn't carry the same weight with the insta new tree.
Rocket is like the most emotional character in this movie along with Thor and Stark. Their dialog on their way to Nivadellir and Rocket's immense fear was really well done

Also a wrestler is the best comic relief in the mcu. Damn.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
However, I do feel like the movie suffers like all the other Marvel movies, when they have a serious moment only to throw a joke at the end. I actually thought Iron Man would make a quip when Spider-Man died, and I was actually surprised when they didn't. Like, when the movie actually want to make a good serious moment, they can totally do it. Like, the heart-to-heart moment between Thor and Rocket is genuinely really good, but I didn't need the joke from Rocket at the end (not the worst example, but still).

Yeah I disagree with this, so far the Russos (and James Gunn with GotG Vol.1) have been the only ones managing to balance serious moments and humor without interfering one another which I felt in pretty much every other MCU movie.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Also I was expecting the miss the armor, but Thanos' attire worked. Actually when you see him from behind his look reminded me a lot of Darkseid.

Sturoboros

Oct 27, 2017
happy to see some of you who've had to wait that extra 24 hours coming out and having your minds blown

when i, and others, were giving our reactions on here late last night a lot of you were getting hyped, but i was still thinking to myself 'they have absolutely no idea', 'i just cannot put it into words'
These threads are great. We're lucky in the UK to get these movies just ahead of the US. I've shared impressions from the last few Marvel flicks now chomping at the bit to read people's impressions - it's going to get biblical tomorrow. We'll be on OT2 in no time, the speculation thread will grow to ridiculous lengths too.

This movie delivers.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
I noticed that Rocket objected to names like "raccoon" in earlier films, but here bonds well enough with Thor to not mind being addressed as Rabbit. Thor does accept Rocket as de facto captain.

Speaking of Rocket and raccoons, I'm wondering if he sees real raccoons now that the is on earth and what his reaction will be.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So, I came out of the cinema a few minutes ago.

It was fantastic, what a nonstop action blockbuster. The Avengers didn't even had a chance..... I mean, they had 1 or 2 but it was like fighting against the air, slowly everyone was put in their places.

It wasn't that emotional for me in the end as for several other people to be honest, I wish it was, but no matter who died, I always had the sequel in my mind that is coming in one year and that will probably bring everyone back due to time travel or something similar, so it had no effect bu it was a strong visual to end it like that together with the music in the credits. It's basically why they dropped the original "Part 1" name to get this emotion out of the viewers to let it look like a real epic ending with deaths and shocking consequences without burning in everyone's mind that this is just the first part and it doesn't matter at all what happens here. But it hasn't worked for me, but like I said, I still felt how powerful that whole ending was and it was really well made.

I'm now asking, if they turn the time back or reverts this in any way in Avengers 4, doesn't that mean that they will definitely bring everyone back without exception? I mean, why wouldn't they? If they turn back the time why would Spider-Man live again but, I don't know, Scarlet Witch don't? You know what I mean? Any speculations about this already?

Speaking of the next part, my only huge critique right now about the movie is the after credit scene. How they teased Captain Marvel was so unbelievable lame, I can't even put in words. It had no impact, at all. Just a picture on a pager? That's it? That was really disappointing.

Oh and wtf how the android game Marvel Future Fight really spoiled the new hammer for Thor yesterday. :D

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
PVdleCi.png

Haha, they worked real hard in the trailers to push us off the scent. Actually put in Hulk where there was no Hulk?

Also, had the biggest grin when Red Skull appeared.
The Spiderman ducking and diving from meteors was also heavily edited and I think I remember something else being quite different. It was also surprising for the Thor head crushing to be right at the start.

I thought it was fantastic, yeah there's 4 different stories at once but they're all working to the same goal, they all come together well and have a purpose so it never felt like 4 different movies to me which is a critique I've seen in some reviews.

Also, they split the screen time for the characters really well, Cap and Co got shafted BUT they're also mostly alive so they'll have a bigger part in the next film, Black Panther just came out so no surprises the Wakandans had a small part, and Scarlet Witch/Vision got a major role.

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I cried a little during Gamora's death. Brolin sold the scene so well for me that it didn't matter it's the first movie we see him in properly.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Ok this was surprisingly better than last couple of years of Marvel movies - and a well written villain - who knew.

But to everyone yet to see it - do yourself a favor and watch it in 2d - I made the mistake of going with 3d, and it's sadly really poorly done (only marginally better than TFA, and that's a really low bar to compare with). It didn't ruin the movie (And it does get better in second half) but still - I am sure 2d is the much superior version here.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Ok this was surprisingly better than last couple of years of Marvel movies - and a well written villain - who knew.

But to everyone yet to see it - do yourself a favor and watch it in 2d - I made the mistake of going with 3d, and it's sadly really poorly done (only marginally better than TFA, and that's a really low bar to compare with). It didn't ruin the movie (And it does get better in second half) but still - I am sure 2d is the much superior version here.

The cosmic scenes were fantastic in 2D on a Dolby Vision screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.