• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
So, after having a discussion in another thread about conservation of mass with regard to time travel and the multiverse theory ...

... I think those who were dusted were shifted to another universe... ... So it makes sense that
Nick Fury
is in Spider-Man Far From Home. And it would make the title even more fitting.

And it could clearly lead to a Secret Wars scenario with the Fox franchises.
I was going to say maybe this would be the case with Peter being transported to an alternate reality where the old Avengers never existed, but this doesn't work because you can't just keep half the entire population snapped.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Watched it again for the 5th time, and there is still one thing that bugs me.

Hulk won't let Banner die. He knows that without Banner, there is no Hulk. During the fight in NY, Banner almost got killed a couple of times and Tony saved his ass. If he had gotten hit by the big axe on a chain, or the taxi that fell through the portal, would Hulk have come out?
In the first Avengers, Banner said that Hulk stopped him from eating a self-inflicted bullet. It's pretty safe to assume his Hulk-Defenses (TM) are essentially instantaneous responses to life-threatening harm.

Hulk getting turned into a big fat baby might change things, but the movie doesn't really explore that possibility.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished another viewing.

That ending still gives me chills. I'm greatly looking forward to seeing how this all shakes out.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Just saw it for the first time. Really good movie. I was especially surprised how the movie brought how the "human" side of Thanos. This whole time I thought he was this typical bad guy. But the movie showed me he is a flawed character of sorts.

I'm hate cliffhangers. But I remember Strange telling Stark he saw one way out of 14 million in which they win. And then telling Stark later "it was the only way." So I guess we'll see what happens in a couple of years what Dr Strange grand scheme is. I hope Loki isn't gone forever. :(

Question: Who was Samuel L Jackson calling before he turned to ash???

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
He hopes she can help. The MCU is going to make her a major player, she will be getting her own movie right before the conclusion of Infinity War.
Interesting. I rented infinity war for three days. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow.

Heck I may just rewatch it right now.

Edit: Hold up a sec! According to google Captain Marvel (Shazam) is a DC character. How could he/she appear in the MCU?

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Interesting. I rented infinity war for three days. I'm going to watch it again tomorrow.

Heck I may just rewatch it right now.

Edit: Hold up a sec! According to google Captain Marvel (Shazam) is a DC character. How could he/she appear in the MCU?

Captain Marvel and Shazam are different characters. Shazam was originally called Captain Marvel but was changed to Shazam to avoid confusion with Marvel itself.

Marvel has their own Captain Marvel.

Oct 28, 2017
After Thanos stabs Tony on Titan, he says "After I'm done half of the universe will still exist." Then he says "I hope they still remember you." Which is Thanos saying he Hope's the people hes about to "kill" will remember him in the Soul stone.

If there isnt a body then nobody died in the true sense of the word. They got transported somewhere. Probably an M Day type alternative reality.

Gamora had a body so you could say she died. Vision and Loki had a body so the same goes for them. But even those who died without the stones have obvious ways to be resurrected.

Simba

Nov 25, 2017
i hope the rumors are true about avengers 4 and captain america knocking the stuffing out of thanos with a new mjolnir.

plus, he has gotta say 'avengers assemble!' completely, at least once in these movies before he dies (assuming cap does die in A4)

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Why did Heimdall send Hulk and not Thor?
Heimdall can see across time, like Strange, he made the hard choice. He could see that Hulk/Bannon would be able to bring Strange and Stark together and that he'd be the one to contact Cap. He could also see that the Guardians were on their way. If Thor hadn't been left there, the Guardians would have been even less prepared when Thanos came for Gamora on his own terms.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished watching it, such an amazing film. It never lets up and everything just flows so well I hardly realized how long it was.

My only minor nitpicks are:

Cap was just kinda...in it? He and Widow move the plot forward, have good fight scenes...and that's about it. I felt like Tony (appropriately) got a great deal of focus, but Cap's reaction to the snap was less intense. Tony seemed destroyed while Cap just seemed stunned. I know, different people, different reactions and all that.

The scene with Ross was unnecessary. No really it felt sort of...forced? Just have the fugitives meet Rhodey and have him agree to help. No need for a phone call with Ross happening at the same time.

Vision was such a dead weight. I get that he was injured for half the movie, but still.

I have faith they'll do Captain Marvel justice in her own movie. They managed to juggle so many heroes in this film expertly that focusing on one should be a cakewalk.

For the next film, it was wasn't lost on me that only the original Avengers are left (Cap, Tony, Widow, Thor, Banner). Assuming Clint wasn't dusted off screen, I hope the next film puts the team (plus Rocket) back together in an interesting way. They were handed a massive loss - as individuals and as a team, so I hope that's reflected in how they behave.

Again, amazing film. I could rewatch it constantly.

Shazz

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Just finished watching it, such an amazing film. It never lets up and everything just flows so well I hardly realized how long it was.

My only minor nitpicks are:

Cap was just kinda...in it? He and Widow move the plot forward, have good fight scenes...and that's about it. I felt like Tony (appropriately) got a great deal of focus, but Cap's reaction to the snap was less intense. Tony seemed destroyed while Cap just seemed stunned. I know, different people, different reactions and all that.

The scene with Ross was unnecessary. No really it felt sort of...forced? Just have the fugitives meet Rhodey and have him agree to help. No need for a phone call with Ross happening at the same time.

Vision was such a dead weight. I get that he was injured for half the movie, but still.

I have faith they'll do Captain Marvel justice in her own movie. They managed to juggle so many heroes in this film expertly that focusing on one should be a cakewalk.

For the next film, it was wasn't lost on me that only the original Avengers are left (Cap, Tony, Widow, Thor, Banner). Assuming Clint wasn't dusted off screen, I hope the next film puts the team (plus Rocket) back together in an interesting way. They were handed a massive loss - as individuals and as a team, so I hope that's reflected in how they behave.

Again, amazing film. I could rewatch it constantly.

Russoes said that Captain America will have a major arc with Tony in the next movie and the heroes will learn the true meaning of sacrifice and how fragile this reality is. They also said the characters who didnt get enough screen time in this movie will get more in the next one thats next year in one final brawl against the mad titan.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
I hope when Strange said that there was only one scenario where we win, that he didn't see the entire scenario play out, but instead saw Tony being instrumental to Thanos' defeat so that was why he sacrificed his soul stone because he knows that whatever happens, Tony must survive.

I hate destiny style, everything had to happen in this exact way in order for the heroes to win. It takes away a lot of agency from the characters in my opinion.

In other words I hope Strange's visions of the future were more general in nature because if he knew exactly what was going to happen, then the entire fight on Titans was superfluous. He could have just said, we won't stop Thanos here, but I did see exactly how we are going to beat him. This sounds crazy but I have to give him the Time Stone.

It never felt like he was planning to give Thanos the Time Stone until Tony's life was in mortal danger which means that keeping Tony alive was more important than stopping Thanos from getting the Time Stone.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
After Thanos stabs Tony on Titan, he says "After I'm done half of the universe will still exist." Then he says "I hope they still remember you." Which is Thanos saying he Hope's the people hes about to "kill" will remember him in the Soul stone.

If there isnt a body then nobody died in the true sense of the word. They got transported somewhere. Probably an M Day type alternative reality.

Gamora had a body so you could say she died. Vision and Loki had a body so the same goes for them. But even those who died without the stones have obvious ways to be resurrected.

What? No.

He's simply telling Tony he hopes people that live remember his spirit and tenacity in the face of the inevitable. He's giving Stark a lat bit of grudging respect before offing him.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watched it again for the 5th time, and there is still one thing that bugs me.

Hulk won't let Banner die. He knows that without Banner, there is no Hulk. During the fight in NY, Banner almost got killed a couple of times and Tony saved his ass. If he had gotten hit by the big axe on a chain, or the taxi that fell through the portal, would Hulk have come out?

I'm pretty sure he would have, yes. Hulk is still mentally a child, so what he did in Infinity War was essentially sulking.

His reasons for sulking are legitimate, mind. Hulk was essentially "born" in 2003 and it wasn't until 2015 that he was allowed to develop beyond the "raw nerve" Banner wanted nothing more than to be rid of.

Then Hulk spends an indeterminate amount of time (if weeks on Sakaar pass in seconds outside, then time is hundreds upon thousands of times slower on Sakaar, making the two years outside of Sakaar anywhere up to a million years in it) growing, learning, making friends, only to lose all that because Banner wants control again?

Either way, I'm sure if Banner was dying then Hulk would take over and save him. He doesn't want to be used any more, he doesn't want to die.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017

I don't see how you make the leap from Thanos talking about the half of the universe that still exists remembering Iron Man to the statement being about the half of the universe he kills remembering Iron Man.

I hope when Strange said that there was only one scenario where we win, that he didn't see the entire scenario play out, but instead saw Tony being instrumental to Thanos' defeat so that was why he sacrificed his soul stone because he knows that whatever happens, Tony must survive.

I hate destiny style, everything had to happen in this exact way in order for the heroes to win. It takes away a lot of agency from the characters in my opinion.

In other words I hope Strange's visions of the future were more general in nature because if he knew exactly what was going to happen, then the entire fight on Titans was superfluous. He could have just said, we won't stop Thanos here, but I did see exactly how we are going to beat him. This sounds crazy but I have to give him the Time Stone.

It never felt like he was planning to give Thanos the Time Stone until Tony's life was in mortal danger which means that keeping Tony alive was more important than stopping Thanos from getting the Time Stone.

The fight on Titan isn't superfluous. It delays Thanos, giving Thor time to make his hammer, and get to earth, as well as giving time for the heroes to gather in Wakanda so they can have a fighting chance to defeat Thanos. You don't fight every battle because you think it will end the war, but because it helps to weaken the enemy, or slow them down.

Oct 28, 2017
What? No.

He's simply telling Tony he hopes people that live remember his spirit and tenacity in the face of the inevitable. He's giving Stark a lat bit of grudging respect before offing him.

He lets Tony live. He stabbed him the stomach which I have to believe even a Thanos knows is far from fatal. Left untreated, it's probably the slowest way to die as far as stabbing go. Then he teleports out of there.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
He lets Tony live. He stabbed him the stomach which I have to believe even a Thanos knows is far from fatal. Left untreated, it's probably the slowest way to die as far as stabbing go. Then he teleports out of there.

He let Tony live after Strange asked him to in exchange for the Time Stone. It goes:

- *Tony gets stabbed.*
- THANOS: "Don't worry, after I'm done half of the universe will still exist. I hope they remember you."
- *Thanos points the Gauntlet at Tony and we hear it powering up*
- STRANGE: "Wait!" ... "Spare his life and I will give you the Time Stone."

Oct 28, 2017
He let Tony live after Strange asked him to in exchange for the Time Stone. It goes:

- *Tony gets stabbed.*
- THANOS: "Don't worry, after I'm done half of the universe will still exist. I hope they remember you."
- *Thanos points the Gauntlet at Tony and we hear it powering up*
- STRANGE: "Wait!" ... "Spare his life and I will give you the Time Stone."

Even so how does that change anything in my supposition. It would be nice to see if there was foreshadowing to Thanos dialogue is what I'm getting at. It's not the people on Earth Thanos hopes will remember Stark (which seems unlikely anyways) but the people Thanos is going to wish into the cornfield into some alternate reality where Stark never helped bring the Avengers into being.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Even so how does that change anything in my supposition. It would be nice to see if there was foreshadowing to Thanos dialogue is what I'm getting at. It's not the people on Earth Thanos hopes will remember Stark (which seems unlikely anyways) but the people Thanos is going to wish into the cornfield into some alternate reality where Stark never helped bring the Avengers into being.

Because that simply doesn't make any sense in the context of the scene, he specifically tells Stark "half of the universe will be left" when he's done. It's that half he's referring to when he says "I hope they remember you." He straight-up starts this rant off by telling Stark that he "has his respect." Thanos does hope the people of Earth will remember Stark and everything he gave in the face of the Mighty Thanos.

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't really looking for it, but I've seen the movie twice and I didn't notice both times. So I'll have to wait until it shows up on video to look again I'm afraid.

Which is fine. I just remembered thinking it when his movie came out.

Pretty sure this was explained in the Dr Strange movie. I think the sling ring is uneeded if you know what you're doing.

Dec 22, 2017
Cap's reaction to the snap was less intense. Tony seemed destroyed while Cap just seemed stunned. I know, different people, different reactions and all that.

I gotta disagree here. Steve looked absolutely destroyed to me. I really felt his desperation as he is pleaing with Thor "What did he do? Where did he go?" and then the last line of dialog in the movie is Cap saying "Oh, GOD..." as he realizes what happened.

Because that simply doesn't make any sense in the context of the scene, he specifically tells Stark "half of the universe will be left" when he's done. It's that half he's referring to when he says "I hope they remember you." He straight-up starts this rant off by telling Stark that he "has his respect." Thanos does hope they people of Earth will remember Stark and everything he gave in the face of the Mighty Thanos.

This is correct.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta disagree here. Steve looked absolutely destroyed to me. I really felt his desperation as he is pleaing with Thor "What did he do? Where did he go?" and then the last line of dialog in the movie is Cap saying "Oh, GOD..." as he realizes what happened.

To be fair, does Cap even know about the snap until after it happened? Wong explained the potential of the damage Thanos could do to Banner and Stark but nobody on Earth except Thor, Rocket and Groot knew what Thanos intended to do.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still cant get over how massive the turn around has been on Thor for me. His first two solo films were so bland I pretty much gave up on him. Right up there with Clint and Natasha as the boring Avengers. But man Ragnarok turned that boat around so fucking amazingly.

He is (by FAR) my favorite part of this film.

If we dont get a real Ragnarok sequel I will never forgive Marvel.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still cant get over how massive the turn around has been on Thor for me. His first two solo films were so bland I pretty much gave up on him. Right up there with Clint and Natasha as the boring Avengers. But man Ragnarok turned that boat around so fucking amazingly.

Yeah, Thor is is probably the best part of the MCU right now. He's a lot more fun than his comics counterpart, even.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

"BRINNNG. MEEEE. THANOOOOS"

Best line and delivery of the movie

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017

That doesn't make any sense

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I love his interactions with Raccoon, one of those things you'd never expect to work.

"Sounds like my kind of place."
"Clearly the rabbit is the smartest among you."

"Is it weird that makes me want it more?"
"A little bit, yes."

All of these interactions were seemingly effortless yet nuanced on Hemsworth's part. Amazing development from Thor 1 at least and probably would agree in that he was the character I dug the most in the movie outside of Thanos

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
All of these interactions were seemingly effortless yet nuanced on Hemsworth's part. Amazing development from Thor 1 at least and probably would agree in that he was the character I dug the most in the movie outside of Thanos
For me it was Strange, but Thor was great. Strange had equally amazing interactions with Stark, and I liked his one-on-one with Thanos.

It was a scene you'd expect Stark to get, but they gave it to Strange.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Cap's reaction to the snap was less intense. Tony seemed destroyed while Cap just seemed stunned. I know, different people, different reactions and all that.
Stark had been given the history lesson of the Stones and went to Titan and saw what they and Thanos can do first hand. All Cap saw was the brief fight when he arrived in Wakanda, I think he was just confused and not grasping the extent of what Thanos did initially, it took longer to sink in

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Fury calling Captain Marvel is so nonsensical that it feels non-canon, like the "I'll do it myself."

Her power set is basically just super strength and flight, right?

So in Avengers 1, when the threat is a bunch of aliens that need to be beat up (perfect for her skillset) he doesn't call her.

But here, when people just start disappearing, a problem you can't just punch a solution for, now's the time to get her on the line?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fury calling Captain Marvel is so nonsensical that it feels non-canon, like the "I'll do it myself."

So in Avengers 1, when the threat is a bunch of aliens that need to be beat up (perfect for her skillset) he doesn't call her.

But here, when people just start disappearing, a problem you can't just punch a solution for, now's the time to get her on the line?

Maybe he did call her, and she noticed the call and went "Nah" for whatever reason, maybe the events of her film will tell us more about this.

Then the same thing happens at the end of Infinity War and she dismisses the signal again but upon seeing people around her turn to ash she realises she can't sit this one out.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

I'm sure they'll find some way to explain it. For instance, we don't know when Fury got the beeper or if he had lost it and found it again. Maybe Carol came back to earth in 2016 or something and told Nick "if aliens attack again hit me up". Or maybe Hydra hid the beeper from Fury and he found it again after Shield collapsed. There are all sorts of plausible scenarios they can come up with.

Oct 25, 2017

You got the Avengers five feet in front of you and you wanna call somebody on the other side of the universe.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Those are fair points. I suppose there could be reasons why he couldn't call her during Avengers that we wouldn't know about yet.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Those are fair points. I suppose there could be reasons why he couldn't call her during Avengers that we wouldn't know about yet.

They pay more attention to that stuff after Phase 2. They know that people often complained about the absence of some Avengers from some Phase 2 movies and while it may be a nitpick, it is something that instantly pops to mind when you see that the President of the US is held hostage in Iron Man 3 and Cap is nowhere to be seen or that three huge helicarriers are shooting up the sky in The Winter Soldier and Iron Man is AFK. In Ant-Man it was explained by Pym's mistrust towards Shield and Stark, in Civil War both Thor and Hulk were absent for valid reasons, in Dr Strange Wong says that the Avengers protect the world from physical threats while the wizards from mystical, in Homecoming the villain is considered too small time for the Avengers and in Infinity War every absence is explained. I'm sure they'll find a decent explanation for why Fury didn't summon Carol earlier.