molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think that source is wrong then, everyone who saw it in IMAX said there was no aspect ratio switching.
Hm, I'm wondering if it was just one scene then so no one noticed. I know thst TFA only expanded in the millennium falcon sequence and that was it. Civil War was the same way, only the airport sequence was expanded to 1:90:1.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I think that source is wrong then, everyone who saw it in IMAX said there was no aspect ratio switching.

There wasn't.

TFA had the escape from Jakku scene in IMAX (that was it). But TLJ didn't have any aspect ratio switching.

There was an IMAX 70MM trailer done for TLJ, maybe the person saw that and assumed it was that aspect ratio. But the actual movie didn't have any scenes that used it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/7jx0hp/what_were_the_143_imax_scenes_in_the_last_jedi/
https://www.reddit.com/r/IMAXMovies/comments/7jdjhc/no_imax_aspect_ratio_changes_in_star_wars_the/

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I get completely distracted by the alternating aspect ratio unless the transition is smooth like in Scott Pilgrim.

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Got a question for you comic-knowledgeable people, just how powerful is Spider-man strength-wise? Does he really need an Iron Man suit? I was under the impression he's supposed to be pretty friggin' strong.

Canonically, he can lift around 20-30 tons.

Iron Man can lift hundreds of tons, so a suit would increase his strength considerably, plus there's the durability factor.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Tron Legacy did it well along with Dunkirk, Interstellar and Dark Knight/Rises. Transformers 5 I concur it was inconsistent.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of it looks good in a blacked out media room on an OLED. With true black bars you don't even see it. Shit is glorious.

There wasn't.

TFA had the escape from Jakku scene in IMAX (that was it). But TLJ didn't have any aspect ratio switching.

There was an IMAX 70MM trailer done for TLJ, maybe the person saw that and assumed it was that aspect ratio. But the actual movie didn't have any scenes that used it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWars/comments/7jx0hp/what_were_the_143_imax_scenes_in_the_last_jedi/
https://www.reddit.com/r/IMAXMovies/comments/7jdjhc/no_imax_aspect_ratio_changes_in_star_wars_the/

Interesting then that sequences were still filmed on IMAX cameras. I wonder what's up with that?

Last edited:

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Got a question for you comic-knowledgeable people, just how powerful is Spider-man strength-wise? Does he really need an Iron Man suit? I was under the impression he's supposed to be pretty friggin' strong.

He's strong but not as strong as Iron Man in the suit.

Also the Iron Spider suit is bullet proof.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm still not sure what I think about Iron Man having a vibranium suit. I miss the days of it feeling real and heavy.

When did he get a Vibranium suit?

What makes you think hes got a Vibranium suit?

The Bleeding edge suit was always ninites and judging from the trailer this new suit which seems based on bleeding edge is almost certainly ninites/nanomachines.
Everyone cant have Vibranium everything.

Quoted from earlier in thread
Theres gotta be more work to be done.
But the bleeding edge suit is supposed to be kinda like liquid metal-esc as its comprised of a lot of Nano-Machines/ninites my memory is bad.
latest

I do know it had like weird musculature to it and was smooth all over not dissimilar to what the trailer suit looks like.
Avengers-Infinity-War-Iron-Man-new-armor.jpg
[/QUOTE]

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Someone needs to make a gif of the Iron Man suit bleeding out on top of Tony in that tv spot.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love seeing the bleeding edge armor on screen, but its presence means that Marvel continues to backpedal with Tony's character post-IM3. They have no idea what to do with him, and this makes me 99% sure they'll just kill him off at the end of this or the next one.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
main-qimg-384ebf661f9b2e25209bfa566c3d99fc

Stronger than most(waaay higher ceiling than Daredevil, Captain America, Black Panther) but lower than the heavyweights.

He's in that neblous range where they can still do stories of him vs street level bad guys, but he wouldnt look out of place fighting Ultron or the Black Cabal with the Avengers.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love seeing the bleeding edge armor on screen, but its presence means that Marvel continues to backpedal with Tony's character post-IM3. They have no idea what to do with him, and this makes me 99% sure they'll just kill him off at the end of this or the next one.
Actually it enforces the idea that IM3 ended with: that Iron Man isn't just a tool that Stark uses as protection, but that instead it's Stark himself. The Bleeding Edge armor actually blurs that line even more.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
What makes you think hes got a Vibranium suit?

The Bleeding edge suit was always ninites and judging from the trailer this new suit which seems based on bleeding edge is almost certainly ninites/nanomachines.
Everyone cant have Vibranium everything.

Quoted from earlier in thread
Theres gotta be more work to be done.
But the bleeding edge suit is supposed to be kinda like liquid metal-esc as its comprised of a lot of Nano-Machines/ninites my memory is bad.
latest

I do know it had like weird musculature to it and was smooth all over not dissimilar to what the trailer suit looks like.
Avengers-Infinity-War-Iron-Man-new-armor.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Did you quote me by accident? I would never say Stark's suit is made of Vibranium it doesn't really make sense since Tony Stark hasn't really had access to Vibranium in the MCU. He hasn't even had an actual conversation with T'Challa. His only exposure to it is Cap's old shield, Vision and the main Ultron body. So unless he smelted both Ultron and the Shield down for a Vibranium Bleeding Edge suit his armour is still a Titanium alloy.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Actually it enforces the idea that IM3 ended with: that Iron Man isn't just a tool that Stark uses as protection, but that instead it's Stark himself. The Bleeding Edge armor actually blurs that line even more.

No. Tony Stark himself, the mind and the man ("the mechanic", as he realizes of himself) is Iron Man, not the tech. That is the whole point of the shots of him getting his chest arc reactor removed and him blowing up all his remaining suits.

Bleeding Edge is a step back for the character as he has been developed thus far in the mcu.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
No. Tony Stark himself, the mind and the man ("the mechanic", as he realizes of himself) is Iron Man, not the tech. That is the whole point of the shots of him getting his chest arc reactor removed and him blowing up all his remaining suits.

Bleeding Edge is a step back for the character as he has been developed thus far in the mcu.

...this is a bad take.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
Why?

It's practically continued in Age of Ultron, where Tony creates the Iron Legion as a replacement for him being Iron Man.

Tony realizing that he didn't need to bug out and obsess over his suits and what he'd do without one for every eventuality because he himself is Iron Man doesn't mean he stops developing new, better versions of the tech.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tony realizing that he didn't need to bug out and obsess over his suits and what he'd do without one for every eventuality because he himself is Iron Man doesn't mean he stops developing new, better versions of the tech.

Nope. The reason he and Pepper split at some point prior to Civil War was because he couldnt help himself. Ultimately, Bleeding Edge is another suit for another eventuality, but this one has the unique trait of living inside of him, becoming literally part of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_dGQFuukkY

Bleeding Edge is not only just another way for him to indulge his bad tendencies, but it is pretty much the symbol of a regression of the entire thematic arc Tony goes through in Iron man 3 and Age of Ultron.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tony went through that whole arc in Iron Man 3, thought he figured it all out

Then realized he can't quit it, as a person he has progressed and somehow regressed, it's just....man Tony and Cap have gone through it the most

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Tony went through that whole arc in Iron Man 3, thought he figured it all out

Then realized he can't quit it, as a person he has progressed and somehow regressed,

Yeah. I think Tony is just stuck in a vicious cycle. I shouldn't have said that the writers of the mcu don't know what to do with him. Maybe they realize that a happy retirement is just not possible for Tony Stark so death will be the only real way out for him.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I think Tony is just stuck in a vicious cycle. I shouldn't have said that the writers of the mcu don't know what to do with him. Maybe they realize that a happy retirement is just not possible for Tony Stark so death will be the only real way out for him.
Correct, he made Ultron out of fear, Signed the Accords out of fear, he gave up the suits thinking it'd help him, he doesn't know what to do anymore and Thanos shall grant him peace

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
B
Has anyone made the prediction that Vision won't die when the Mind Stone is ultimately removed from his head? I'm thinking they might go with him changing into the colorless Vision from the comics. He would be a shell of himself in personality (more robotic?) and powers. Could also lead into some crazy/pissed Wanda shenanigans when he doesn't remember her the same way.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. The reason he and Pepper split at some point prior to Civil War was because he couldnt help himself. Ultimately, Bleeding Edge is another suit for another eventuality, but this one has the unique trait of living inside of him, becoming literally part of him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_dGQFuukkY

Bleeding Edge is not only just another way for him to indulge his bad tendencies, but it is pretty much the symbol of a regression of the entire thematic arc Tony goes through in Iron man 3 and Age of Ultron.
I don't think it's a regression, it's more like a step forward in his arc while simultaneously a step backward for his own happiness.

The thing about his arc from IM3 to Age of Ultron is that it's predicated on the idea that Tony can give up being Iron Man himself if he leaves behind a legacy (the Iron Legion, Ultron, the Avengers) that can keep the peace in his place. But Ultron ended up being a failure and Civil War exposed some serious vulnerabilities in the Avengers: that many of them don't want to be held to the accountability Tony thinks they need in order to be effective peacekeepers, and most of the team is now underground because of it. Combine that with Tony's vision of an even worse attack someday coming to Earth, I think it makes sense that he can't help but put some skin in the game again. And that means building a new suit for himself.

MarkMcLovin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I can't see it happening with the announcement of his and Peppers engagement.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Has anyone made the prediction that Vision won't die when the Mind Stone is ultimately removed from his head? I'm thinking they might go with him changing into the colorless Vision from the comics. He would be a shell of himself in personality (more robotic?) and powers. Could also lead into some crazy/pissed Wanda shenanigans when he doesn't remember her the same way.

People have gone on to think the Captain America that is holding Thanos' arm is actually Vision because his eyes are glowing (I don't see them glowing) so I dunno if I care for a lot of predictions at the moment.

Not that I think you are wrong though. That could happen.

Oct 25, 2017

This is a cool idea.

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the record according to one of the "road to" comic books
Tony creates it out of paranoia and isolation, he's convinced that he's alone now and needs something that can replace the functions of all the Avengers