• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to unlock the Illusion voucher and is it a slog.
The only thing worse than not getting the Magic Trick voucher in a run is buying the voucher and then having no cards show up in the shop.

I even had three slots unlocked!

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I'm trying to unlock the Illusion voucher and is it a slog.
The only thing worse than not getting the Magic Trick voucher in a run is buying the voucher and then having no cards show up in the shop.

I even had three slots unlocked!

that's basically what happens everytime with me, i get great jokers but the shop never gives me the things i need for these jokers/hands to work

like i get the joker that give mult with each cards above 52... then the game decide to not give a single card pack 5 ante in a row :(

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
that's basically what happens everytime with me, i get great jokers but the shop never gives me the things i need for these jokers/hands to work

like i get the joker that give mult with each cards above 52... then the game decide to not give a single card pack 5 ante in a row :(
Maybe I'm forgetting something.
There's a joker that gives +mult for each card below 52*. (Erosion) *it's actually below your starting value which matters for abandoned
And there's a joker that gives xmult for each playing card you add to your deck. (Hologram)
But I can't recall one that gives you mult for each card above 52 o.o;

If you are referring to Hologram, it's an important distinction that it's just cards added that matter, because it means that if you add cards before you get it that it doesn't make it bigger. But also that you can remove a ton of cards and it won't get weaker while you remove cards. Meanwhile Erosion will get weaker if you add more cards to your deck.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to post this here. Those last three are brutal.
c4qugRV.png

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I've been working on Jokerless for days now. Got close a few times, but the RNG just wasn't with me.
Jokerless didn't give me any issues.... Golden Needle on the other hand lol. I have only that and blast off left and I don't think any of my completed challenges took more than 3 tries. Most were done either on the first or second try.

Golden Needle though.... I'm at least 20 tries on that one now lol. It just doesn't want to agree with me even though there's no reason it should be fighting me as hard as it is. For some reason it's just absolutely refusing to work with me. If I get economy online it won't give me any mult jokers. And if I have most things working and there is a .01% chance of something happening through my draw it's going to happen to make me lose. I don't know why that challenge is just being so spiteful.

I should go do jokerless again for the heck of it because that one fits my playstyle really well lol.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
I just had an absolutely amazing run where I was able to easily score 30k+ per hand with a pair. Any pair. With glass/rank ups and what not I could get 50k+ easily with a pair. I felt like a damn Balatro god. Until I got wrecked by the big blind on ante 10 lolllllll

Seed was: SN4ZJ8JR

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I think if I only have one complaint on harder runs, it's money. Like I get it, that is part of the challenge, but it does make it feel like a run is instantly doomed if you don't get some early skips or jokers that allow you to generate a bunch of money early on.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I think if I only have one complaint on harder runs, it's money. Like I get it, that is part of the challenge, but it does make it feel like a run is instantly doomed if you don't get some early skips or jokers that allow you to generate a bunch of money early on.
I assume you are playing on orange or gold and aren't playing on the experimental patch on PC?

If so, I think it's a lot better in the patch that will eventually be coming to public. On PC that should be fairly soon, though to consoles, here's hoping it's this month but it will likely be sometime next month.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I assume you are playing on orange or gold and aren't playing on the experimental patch on PC?

If so, I think it's a lot better in the patch that will eventually be coming to public. On PC that should be fairly soon, though to consoles, here's hoping it's this month but it will likely be sometime next month.

I am on Experimental. On Plasma and Checkered Decks I'm at Purple Stake.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I am on Experimental. On Plasma and Checkered Decks I'm at Purple Stake.
hmm... I usually don't have that much trouble with economy.
Though I also rarely ever skip because that hurts your money a lot as once you save up some money you get quite a bit of money from interest. (plus skipping a shop takes away a lot of options including using arcana cards to modify your deck and potentially get money tarots)

The skips were improved in experimental, but I'd be surprised if I skip more than 4 times in the entire run, and I almost never skip in the first 3 ante. I want every single one of those stores as I really want +mult and a chip joker ASAP to get ahead of the curve and build up my money to start modifying my deck, and even though the small blind doesn't give me money, most of the time I still want the store and I can make the interest make up for it. Though if I have no money and the skip is a nice one or worth like $25 to the boss blind later or a free shop I might skip.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I streamed Balatro with the Easy Allies today and we were scoring a couple billion easy, but then I messed up on stream and accidentally played a flush house and didn't trigger Card Sharp and we lost. I WAS SO EMBARRASSED. I let everyone down😔

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I streamed Balatro with the Easy Allies today and we were scoring a couple billion easy, but then I messed up on stream and accidentally played a flush house and didn't trigger Card Sharp and we lost. I WAS SO EMBARRASSED. I let everyone down😔
oof.
First off, awesome job on the fun sounding stream.
second, yeah it sucks when you accidently do a flush house or a flush five when you aren't aiming for those. I've accidently done a normal flush on a high card build with splash before too and when you have a level 30+ high card and a level 1 flush it can hurt a lot lol.

JustinBB7

Nov 16, 2017
105 hours in and I finally got Completionist done. Had Illusion and Glass Joker as my last unlocks. Illusion just wouldn't show up, so I forced a lot of voucher with Anaglyph deck, but still nothing... But I had Perkeo which copied hermit cards so if I just kept playing it had to show up eventually. Finally happened on ante 11.

Glass Joker I somehow lucked into? Had a nice run with DNA, red seal wild cards and Ancient Joker. In Endless I finally decided to glass one of my cards and literally the next shop reroll had Glass Joker.

Time to focus on Gold Stake now.

Thanks to this suggestion I started playing Anaglyph deck and got my last 2 vouchers I needed. Had a run where I bought almost every voucher in the game lol.

100% collection done, IM FREE!

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Unlocked plasma deck and beat the blue stake. Ready to move on from the checkered deck because I'm tired of playing only flushes lol. I am now convinced that this game was created by demons or at least otherwordly spirits. I came home from work at 6pm and it was 9pm a minute later. Acid flashbacks from early days playing Spire and seeing time just vanish

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
oof.
First off, awesome job on the fun sounding stream.
second, yeah it sucks when you accidently do a flush house or a flush five when you aren't aiming for those. I've accidently done a normal flush on a high card build with splash before too and when you have a level 30+ high card and a level 1 flush it can hurt a lot lol.
The amount of times I've forgotten to play 5 cards during that "must play 5 cards" boss and lose by like 1000 points is not a low number :(

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the heartbreak when having a great streak and cards only to loose in the final run and the boss blinds is "the wall"...

Pliskin

Jun 16, 2021
Almost 100 hours and I have mixed feelings. There's a lot of cool things about this game but the RNG is just too much. I'm just getting addicted to a game that doesn't respect my time.

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
Almost 100 hours and I have mixed feelings. There's a lot of cool things about this game but the RNG is just too much. I'm just getting addicted to a game that doesn't respect my time.
I feel this.

I wish you could choose between two Small and two Big Blinds every Ante, with only the one Boss Blind. Kinda like how you can pick your path in StS.

I know it's the genre but it feels terrible to have a run killed by Ante boss 7 because of RNG.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
*reads all these other decks*
And I seem to be stuck in Black Deck.
A lot of people get stuck at the black deck. It's the deck that if you are mostly just going after good jokers instead of using all of the mechanics that you will start struggling a lot. There are lots of little things to do that help improve your odds of winning, the most commonly overlooked ones are
that order matters in both jokers and played hands.
Skipping too much as in general it's better to play hands instead of skipping
trying to chase good jokers and not taking okay +mult and a chip joker early on to get ahead of the curve
not taking advantage of interest
not modifying your deck properly in both focusing it to give you your preferred hand but reducing your card count where you can.
not taking advantage of glass or steel cards
Newer players rely on flushes too often and tend to almost always play them instead of letting the game decide what they should be playing in a given run

I will say that while there is plenty of RNG there are plenty of ways to reduce the effects of that RNG as well, especially on lower stakes. It's part of the reason why I find Balatro so interesting since there are so many different routes to victory and at white stakes a nearly 100% win percentage is possible.

Higher stakes def is far more reliant on rng, but even then knowing how to use every little system goes a long way.

Though Balatro I think basically falls into some of my favorite types of games in general, which is basically the fairly easy to learn but hard to master type of games. You can learn the game pretty quickly and feel like you know what you are doing especially if you already know poker hands. But actually grasping how every single system works fully, how all the jokers interact with each other, the best way to modify your deck ect. That takes a while.

Oct 29, 2017
Every single time the games generates a rare joker through tags or the spectral cards and it the seànce I want to run to the nearest cliff throw myself at the rocks below and roam the earth to find LocalThunk so I can haunt him

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
The only time I've played flushes is the deck with only 2 suits. Was way my easiest win. Currently focusing on pairs and maybe double pairs depending on early jokers. Frustratingly found myself resetting too if the first set of jokers I don't like. Played that first blind way too many times.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, flushes can result in a great run. They just won't result in a great run every time.
Part of the trick to Balatro in order to win a lot more is not getting set in what you are playing right away and letting the game decide for you between flushes and lower pairings and in very rare cases straights, and leaning into that instead of trying to force what you want to play. (and part of this depends on the deck you are playing because how often you go for certain things can depend on your deck)

Also keeping in mind that even if you get it wrong early on there is often some time to pivot, and that flush 5 and flush house is a cross over between flushes and pairings that you could build towards in late game if you need to pivot in the middle as a lot of the jokers that work for flushes or pairings will work for the flush 5 or flush house.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I originally wanted to take a longer break from the game once I had finished the Collection.

Then the balance patch came and I dived into challenge mode. 19/20 challenges finished and at almost 100 ingame hours I have only Jokerless left to defeat.

Balatro is my life now.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
jcmzuel.jpeg

This is the furthest I've ever gotten. Do I have a chance? 300,000 seems daunting
It doesn't look like you have enough scoring jokers. Superposition doesn't help, Golden Joker doesn't help, the all red one (I forget the name) doesn't help, splash may help but it's minor. You seem to only have three active scoring jokers and considering your only goal is to beat Ante 8, probably should have sold the non-scoring jokers off in a fire sale prior to the boss and tried to find any additional help you could in the shop.

But I hope you made it!

Last edited:

MadDogTannen

Feb 21, 2023
It doesn't look like you have enough scoring jokers. Superposition doesn't help, Golden Joker doesn't help, the all red one (I forget the name) doesn't help, splash may help but it's minor. You seem to only have three active scoring jokers and considering your only goal is to beat Ante 8, probably should have sold those off in a fire sale prior to the boss and tried to find any additional help you could in the shop.

But I hope you made it!

I did not :(

But I got 172,000 which is also the highest I've ever got so I'm sure I'll beat it next time

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
The RNG in those games is never as much as we want to believe. We're just not as good as we think we are. People think A20 in STS is hard and you need a bit of luck. Meanwhile Lifecoach does 38 in a row without losing. And he was doing it in balatro too at gold stackes like a week after release and was a on a decent streak.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
4A4D018EC947DBF372B14AD0BBA47473BC31DDAC

And that's all the challenges done. Jokerless wasn't actually too bad with heavily leveling up 4oak with blue seals and Mars planets. That challenge achievement is now my rarest achievement on Steam.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
I wanted to unlock the 400$ Joker so I went for a money build. I got lucky at ante 4 and found Perkeo, so I started duplicating Temperance. Got even more lucky soon after that and found Gross Michel (which led to Cavendish), Bull and Bootstraps. I reached almost 600$ and steamrolled everything until ante 12. Not super broken, but it was a fun run.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
when is the patch coming out? I just can't beat orange stake, it's been so long... I always get the worst luck
depends on your platform, but regardless the answer is, we don't know.
but PC - sometime
consoles - sometime later... most likely (the most likely is here because I suppose there is like a .0001% chance it could come to consoles at the same time).

Pliskin

Jun 16, 2021
The RNG in those games is never as much as we want to believe. We're just not as good as we think we are. People think A20 in STS is hard and you need a bit of luck. Meanwhile Lifecoach does 38 in a row without losing. And he was doing it in balatro too at gold stackes like a week after release and was a on a decent streak.
Yeah, I'm definitely not very good but I got almost all the cards and coupons, only 4 jokers left. I'm stuck on golden stake. I'm just kinda frustrated but I had a lot of fun so far. I think the game will get more balanced, it's still very early. I just needed to vent a little. StS is one of my favorite games btw.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I've come back to the game after my retirement, as usual, lol.

On my first game, I finally managed to beat Blue Stake and unlocked the very sexy Plasma Deck. I'm back in the pro leagues, baby!

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Bought the game today just beat the big boss I think the 300k blind,got a weird build going that was kinda fool proof but not capable of much above a couple 100k.

I got to wheel of fortune and a skip reward that made a joker in store holo or whatever so I ended up, with 4 special jokers 2 for +10 mult and 2 for +50 score. So no matter what I played I getting solid scores. The jokers themselves were (splash? Makes all card played add to score.)( 40 score per unused discard)(time 1 multi per empty joker slot)(12 multi for three of kinds)

So I was basically just playing 5 cards high card till I could play a three of kind focusing on face card. That alone could beat all but the final boss pretty much. Got lucky with the 1.5x multiplier per king in hand joker as I had alot of kings to make it through the final ante.

Think that was my 4th run in total.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I've come back to the game after my retirement, as usual, lol.

On my first game, I finally managed to beat Blue Stake and unlocked the very sexy Plasma Deck. I'm back in the pro leagues, baby!
The Stuntman loves to throw plasma around :P
also welcome back again :P

Bought the game today just beat the big boss I think the 300k blind,got a weird build going that was kinda fool proof but not capable of much above a couple 100k.

I got to wheel of fortune and a skip reward that made a joker in store holo or whatever so I ended up, with 4 special jokers 2 for +10 mult and 2 for +50 score. So no matter what I played I getting solid scores. The jokers themselves were (splash? Makes all card played add to score.)( 40 score per unused discard)(time 1 multi per empty joker slot)(12 multi for three of kinds)

So I was basically just playing 5 cards high card till I could play a three of kind focusing on face card. That alone could beat all but the final boss pretty much. Got lucky with the 1.5x multiplier per king in hand joker as I had alot of kings to make it through the final ante.

Think that was my 4th run in total.

Yeah the extra effects on the jokers can add up.
As with all new players I will just make sure to mention that you want to put any xmult jokers (your one that was 1 multi per empty joker slot) at the end of your jokers, as you can rearrange them and they trigger from left to right so you want to multiply at the end.

it's often overlooked by newer players and can make a big difference in some runs.

but congrats on your win, especially on violet who can be a pain.

Nimbat1003

Nov 14, 2021
Yeah the extra effects on the jokers can add up.
As with all new players I will just make sure to mention that you want to put any xmult jokers (your one that was 1 multi per empty joker slot) at the end of your jokers, as you can rearrange them and they trigger from left to right so you want to multiply at the end.

yeah with that joker setup i realised pretty quickly, i also noticed that the joker that does a 1.5x per king in ur hand applies before any of the jokers i guess it basically counts as a hand effect and not a joker effect.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I am not sure I can get this final joker I'm missing, the 100mil one. I am... let's say "not great" at math, but I can get by. I just don't have an eye for it I guess, and I think this might be hindering my ability to get this achievement.
Or is it because I use flushes too much? The absolute highest I've ever gotten in a single hand was 78mil with flush, and I think that was because I had the planet xmult along with both copying jokers at once. My flush was leveled up a ridiculous amount as well.

This last run was the usual flush run with checkered deck, cleared the ante 8 boss with ease. It was the craziest run I've ever had with rare jokers though, literally almost every shop had a rare or uncommon xmult joker, so I had xmult flush joker from the get go, then both copying jokers, the skips=xmult joker, the ancient joker, it was at a point where I was skipping them if I saw them as I had no room. If anything I was just lacking +mults and relying on jupiter planet cards too much. The ante 10 boss being The Arm badly hurt the run and I went from 1mil chips in a single hand to just 100k somehow.