• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, Catalyst Game Labs just posted an update on their part of the Harmony Gold lawsuit and despite the oblique legalese and NDA, they posted an image of the Marauder to basically hints that the outcome of this case was very favorable to them
The statement in question:
Catalyst Game Labs has issued the following statement about the recent conclusion of the Harmony Gold legal action:

"Everyone at Catalyst Game Labs is pleased to see that the lawsuit brought by Harmony Gold has been settled and that a final order of dismissal has been issued by the court. We join Piranha Games and Harebrained Schemes in the delight at putting this behind us and moving forward to provide fans of BattleTech with more great product.

While we appreciate the support we've seen in the online community, and the celebration we've heard take place on our behalf and on behalf of BattleTech, we will not be commenting further on the original merits of the case nor the final order of dismissal.

Our plans for the future of BattleTech have not changed, and our work proceeds at all best speed."

On the forums, they basically say "yes, we can use Classics now, but we can't talk about the lawsuit".

No schedule for Macross-based 'Mech miniatures yet though, naturally. The lawsuit has just been settled and it is con-season.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The statement in question:

On the forums, they basically say "yes, we can use Classics now, but we can't talk about the lawsuit".

No schedule for Macross-based 'Mech miniatures yet though, naturally. The lawsuit has just been settled and it is con-season.

Yup. The miniatures we will see, probably as an expansion pack for the game, were already made in 3D ready to be produced. This is how they'll look:

marauder___mad_3r_minfmsi6.jpg

warhammer___whm_6r_miw8szj.jpg

I honestly prefer Anthony Scroggins' Marauder design than Alex Iglesias.

Link to the guy who does the 3D modelling for CGL: https://www.deviantart.com/sentinel373/gallery/

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not terribly optimistic about getting plastic minis. Not unless the new box set will sell well. If there will be minis, i reckon we're looking at a year's wait at least.

Metallic minis, sure, eventually. But gonna take some time as well.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
The previous concept artist for HBS tweeted this mech paint sheets:

One of the pics:

DhXrv2OUwAAGPVg.jpg

:(

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been out of the loop since it got released. Have they patched in QoL modifiers like animation speed, etc? I remember editing some files to force the speed up but don't know if it's still necessary.

EDIT: nvm, I see it's been implemented in v1.1. Nice!

Last edited:

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how the free movement mode at the start of battle works. Sometimes when I detect enemies, I can still move my remaining units, other times it just ends and goes to the next turn, leaving some of my mechs behind. The only way I've been able to move all of my mech with any consistency is by just furiously clicking to get them all sprinting in one general direction before the first one arrives at its destination.

Also, are there any mods that shows which mech is going to move next? Just having the little chevrons up on the phase order indicator is not cutting it.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how the free movement mode at the start of battle works. Sometimes when I detect enemies, I can still move my remaining units, other times it just ends and goes to the next turn, leaving some of my mechs behind. The only way I've been able to move all of my mech with any consistency is by just furiously clicking to get them all sprinting in one general direction before the first one arrives at its destination.

Also, are there any mods that shows which mech is going to move next? Just having the little chevrons up on the phase order indicator is not cutting it.
Initiating "hostile" action or entering direct line of sight is what ends free movement. Hostile actions include Sensor Locks, attacks, etc.

There is no strict ordering b/c the enemy can choose to move any mech it wants in a given phase. Chevrons and the Phase number indicator next to an enemy mech's name tag is the most accurate information you can get, presumably even with a mod.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Finally getting around to Defense: Smithon and boy, do I get the feeling whoever playtested this shit either went through it in god mode or knew how to cheese the AI, because if you aren't lucky, you'll be facing 16+ mechs with your lance of 4 mechs, 2 Strikers, and 6 light turrets.

Kinda sums up the persistent balance issues this game has.

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally getting around to Defense: Smithon and boy, do I get the feeling whoever playtested this shit either went through it in god mode or knew how to cheese the AI, because if you aren't lucky, you'll be facing 16+ mechs with your lance of 4 mechs, 2 Strikers, and 6 light turrets.

Kinda sums up the persistent balance issues this game has.
I just did that mission for the first time last night completely blind and had absolutely no trouble at all. They barely even scratched my paint.
I was about a half a * rating over what the mission recommended (I think it was 3.5, my lance is at 4). LRMs made engaging the mechs at far ranges easy, and nearly every turn they'd engage a turret or a striker before me. The Highlander has enough firepower to core out nearly any mech in 1 turn (or at least blow a side torso or leg off), and my K2 is my beloved PPC sniping platform. I basically just sat back in the center area, blew holes in the main force as it came down the pike, lobbed LRMs at the peripheral bogies to attract attention, and sent the Grasshopper off wherever I needed it to be w/ its massive jump jet mobility.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
is there any news on what we can expect for the next patch? And still no news on DLC I suppose?

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
is there any news on what we can expect for the next patch? And still no news on DLC I suppose?
One of the devs put out a few tweets about tweaking MechWarrior skills (which desperately need them, but then, I feel the current skill system has a lot of flaws):
https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1020029117947731968
at heart i am a systems designer. content frightens me. i've been tuning all the MechWarrior skills for the past couple of weeks, and revising ones that were not useful or of extremely limited use. i'm really happy with the results.

and though i expected to nerf the shit out of Bulwark, thanks to an intervention by @RosalyndMC i've instead made it more interesting without significantly reducing its utility.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Battletech...systems_designer_currently_working_on_tuning/

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I'm not terribly optimistic about getting plastic minis. Not unless the new box set will sell well. If there will be minis, i reckon we're looking at a year's wait at least.

Metallic minis, sure, eventually. But gonna take some time as well.

Catalyst doesn't do metal miniatures, so if they have plans for minis, it will be plastics of a form. IWM who does the metal minis for battletech really has nothing to do with what Catalyst wants or does.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Catalyst doesn't do metal miniatures, so if they have plans for minis, it will be plastics of a form. IWM who does the metal minis for battletech really has nothing to do with what Catalyst wants or does.
I am well aware how the system works. IWM is probably waiting for a go-ahead for metallic classics, they were at planning stages or even being cast as happened with metallic classic-Wasp, before the lawsut. Catalyst can't do individual blisters, only larger packs, plastic or not. The plan was most definitively always that IWM gets do classics in metal, after the new box set from Catalysts is released.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
New Battletech patch!
Release 1.1.2 Notes, 7/26/2018
  • Fixed a race condition that could cause a softlock after flamer attacks made with the Firestarter 'Mech.
  • Fixed an issue where the Capture the Argo mission on Axylus would fail to progress after loading a save game created right after securing the Argo crash site, but prior to new enemy units appearing.
  • Fixed an issue where players could use the navigation starmap to accept travel contracts they did not meet the reputation requirements for.
  • Fixed an issue where the "Ultra" quality setting could revert to "High" after relaunching the title.
  • Fixed an issue where the "Lock Cursor" game setting did not get applied until the user alt-tabbed or relaunched the title.
  • Fixed an issue where a 'Mech work order could still be created after some items equipped to the 'Mech were sold while the work order was pending.
  • Fixed an issue where the "Fresh Off the Lot" achievement could not be completed.
  • Updated the credits
IMPORTANT: If you experience any issues after updating, or see a popup regarding a missing executable...This is a known issue with Steam, where it can occasionally fail to apply the update as expected. Here's the most reliable way we've seen to get around it:
  1. Remove an existing game file in your installation directory (e.g. BattleTech.exe)
  2. Verify Integrity of Game Files (Right-click on BATTLETECH in your Steam Library, select Properties -> Local Files tab)
  3. The update should now download and apply normally.
[Source]
It's bugfixes, but still huzzah!

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Im stuck on the Liberate Panzyr story mission. I hate it. I stayed up all night trying different stuff but I can't get through this. The time limit forces me to play aggressive to only get rekt. :(

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Im stuck on the Liberate Panzyr story mission. I hate it. I stayed up all night trying different stuff but I can't get through this. The time limit forces me to play aggressive to only get rekt. :(

What problem are you having with it? My generic advice is to definitely be sure to take out all the vehicles so that your commandos can hack the turrets. They will do half the work for you on this mission.

Also, care to describe what your lance make up is?

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
What problem are you having with it? My generic advice is to definitely be sure to take out all the vehicles so that your commandos can hack the turrets. They will do half the work for you on this mission.

Also, care to describe what your lance make up is?
I have the starting medium mechs (BJ, Vindicator, SHadow Hawk) and the Centurion. I just looked this mission up on YouTube and for some reason, the player did not trigger the event where enemy mechs attacked the turrets. So he has all turrets in there helping him.

In my game, the enemy mechs always take out 2 or maybe 3 turrets. But on the youtube that i watched, he was able to skip that event. The enemy ignores the turrets and focuses their fire power on you. so he has like 6 or 7 turrets.

I think that its unfair that the game throws 5 enemy mechs at you when you are limited to 4.

Last edited:

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have the starting medium mechs (BJ, Vindicator, SHadow Hawk) and the Centurion. I just looked this mission up on YouTube and for some reason, the player did not trigger the event where enemy mechs attacked the turrets. So he has all turrets in there helping him.

I had a similar make up, but I did capture an Orion just prior, but I don't think it factored in all that much into my victory. I also ran a Hunchback 4G instead of a Centurion, but those are roughly equivalent. So I was BJ, Orion, Shadowhawk, Hunchback. It seemed like mechs would focus on my forces over the turrets as long as they were reasonably within engagement range.

After taking over the turrets, I sent my BJ and Shadowhawk hard "left", using their JJ's to go down the cliff and harass the couple of enemy mechs that were around there ( remember like 2 mediums of some stripe - Trebuchet and maybe a Shadowhawk?). I sent my Hunchback and the Orion over to the ramp on the "right". One of my pilots on the ramp had Bulwark. Even though my forces were split, I tried to focus fire as much as possible, switching only if I had no LOS or if it seemed like I'd be able to finish off another mech after the turrets had done some work. Once an enemy mech took enough damage, they seemed to switch to a preservation mode, where they'd run and defend, at which point between myself and the turrets I'd pick them off. Once the mechs started, running, I sent my Shadowhawk out to the objective to eliminate it.

It's possible, that something in one of the patches changed the mission AI behavior in some way.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Ok I was finally able to beat Panzyr. On my previous attempt, it took me 1 full turn to be on the enemy's line of sight, and in that 1 turn they were able to destroy 3 turrets.

Apparently, as shown on the youtube vid that I watched, the trick to keep all our hacked turrets was to expose yourself early to the enemy mechs so that you will trigger the event where the enemy commander orders the enemy mechs to focus fire on you and ignore the hacked turrets. I did exactly what the video showed. Order 3 of my mechs to fight the vehicles, and my one other mech jumping the cliff on the left to engage the enemy centurion. With all hacked turrets up, it sure made the mission easier.

Unfortunately, the next story mission, Smithon, is another road block for me. I counted like 8 enemy mechs and god knows how many turrets they have, and also a vehicle that spawns from time to time that I must not let escape. It takes an annoyingly long time to wait for my next turn because they outnumber me significantly.

Here's my setup. Looking for loadout suggestions for this bs mission.

BlackJack (2x AC5)
Centurion (LRM20, LRM15, LRM5)
Griffin (2x MLaser, 3x SRM6)
Shadow Hawk (MLaser, SLaser, SRM4, 2x SRM6)

I have another BlackJack and Vindicator in my reserves.

QFNS

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Smithon is a very real difficulty spike. That mission is extremely difficult with the resources that you have at the time and is double or even triply so if you want to do all the side objectives. My suggestion is to go do some side contracts for a few months, try and put together some more + equipment and heavier mechs (the Griffin is a beast tho, great mech there) and come back with higher tonnage (probably time to retire that BJ as well. I had lots of trouble with that mission until I went back and got more XP, mechs and equipment from roaming the stars for a few months. Helped immensely.

That said, the mission is just really hard. Make use of those ammo crates they can take out whole mechs and turrets at the same time if you get them in the right spot.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I was finally able to beat Panzyr. On my previous attempt, it took me 1 full turn to be on the enemy's line of sight, and in that 1 turn they were able to destroy 3 turrets.

Apparently, as shown on the youtube vid that I watched, the trick to keep all our hacked turrets was to expose yourself early to the enemy mechs so that you will trigger the event where the enemy commander orders the enemy mechs to focus fire on you and ignore the hacked turrets. I did exactly what the video showed. Order 3 of my mechs to fight the vehicles, and my one other mech jumping the cliff on the left to engage the enemy centurion. With all hacked turrets up, it sure made the mission easier.

Unfortunately, the next story mission, Smithon, is another road block for me. I counted like 8 enemy mechs and god knows how many turrets they have, and also a vehicle that spawns from time to time that I must not let escape. It takes an annoyingly long time to wait for my next turn because they outnumber me significantly.

BlackJack (2x AC5)

i don't know if i found this battletech playthrough here or where ever but this video series helped me out a lot when i started and hit spikes of difficulty. watching this guy play really opened my eyes regarding tactics and strategy. stuff like torso twisting to preserve armor, using formations to spread damage among your lance, using knock downs to give yourself multiple free called shots, drawing fire by using a highly evasive mech, when to use vigilance, using turn order to maximize kill potential, predicting enemy turn order to minimize damage, and more stuff like that.

he's already done the story campaign twice and is now playing roguetech, now THAT is a blast to watch.

Last edited:

Giolon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

BlackJack (2x AC5)

Smithon is a real bitch of a mission if you want to perfect it. The thing that I found most key was to destroy the LRM turrets on the "right" side of the map immediately. After that, prodigious use of terrain LOS to bait mechs into training into your wall of fire, and smart use of ammo depot destruction (I'd shoot one if 2+ enemy mechs are inside the explosion radius) can turn things in your favor. The hardest thing at that point is getting the trucks before they escape.

Hardest mission so far, IMO.

boybrushdRED

Oct 26, 2017
Philippines
Thanks for the tips guys. And thanks to the Liberate Smithon video posted above, I learned some things that I didn't know before. Maybe it was just me not paying close attention during the tutorial missions. I was able to beat the Liberate Smithon mission although it was a hard fought victory with just 4 medium mechs,

I think the game is not friendly to newcomers but I'm gonna continue as I learn the game more. I'm spending most of my time now at the mech bay thinking of how to improve my loadouts, because I only have 6 mediums at my mech bay. Still don't have a heavy, but I have parts for dragon and quickdraw, although I read that those are not good heavies.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll stray a bit to tabletop BattleTech news (i've planned making a OT for that but actually doing it keeps slipping and slipping), in case there are fans who don't actively follow what's going on but are interested.
There are a couple of novellas, The Anvil and A Splinter of Hope released in ebook format (they were available at Gencon in physical format in small amount), set in 3145-3150.
And more importantly, the first part of the finale for the Dark Age era, Shattered Fortress, is also available in PDF format, physical release later this year. The second part should come out next year... maybe.

Oh, and the new box set should be released in a month or two.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Also for those wondering, the reason why HBS have been relatively silent is that they first of all need a short break from finishing Battletech and that they're working on something new. If you want to get a little hyped, one of the devs posted this on the forum:

Well I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I will say the biggest impact on my level of communication has been one thing: Launch.

We can talk a lot about the toll working on a project like BT takes, but often the words are incomplete and inadequate. I was pretty spent after we finished BT and we're not just talking about physical energy depletion, it's the emotional toll too. In my career of putting out games, I very often will not even play, look at, or even THINK about a project or it's subject matter post launch. I am a guy so surely this is a false equivalency, but I imagine this phenomenon shares traits and similarities with post-partum depression. Thankfully BT is a unique project in that I am very ready for more, still play it for fun, and am always cranking on new ideas for stuff to add value to the game.

That doesn't change the fact that energy stores need to be replenished. As many of you pointed out, us getting in here and mixing it up with you is additional time for our team members. It's energy expenditure, and when I am running low and have to choose where the fuel gets spent, I prioritize the work. That doesn't diminish my desire to interact with everyone here, but it does diminish my ability. We don't have dedicated time for this, so it's about stealing a moment to write something and also about having something genuinely useful to add. I read posts in here all the time, but as Mitch has said in the past, observing can be more useful for us than participating. Dev interaction will always color opinions and can shift a conversation.

So for my part, I won't chime in unless I think I can provide new clarity or real value.

That being said, with the game's release there was a large influx of new folks on the forums here offering feedback, bug reports, etc. While that stuff is great and useful, I'm already leveraging our internal review and bug reporting systems to pursue that work on the live product. There was a lot to add and improve post launch. Simply because the game is live out there doesn't mean we don't have a lot of work to do! Much of that work is fix oriented, it isn't the sort of collaborative two way conversation about concept we've had with the community in the past. It's cut and dry goals of stability and quality of life fixing. (At least my bugs were mostly!)

I'm excited to continue my work in BT and the stuff that's going on is really awesome. I can't give further detail beyond my personal hype for what's next. And the hype is real.

As for community interaction, I've received not a word of change in how we're expected to talk with y'all. Save for the obvious fact that we no longer just speak for our little HBS family with each post here, we're now representing the larger PDX organization. So care must be taken to be respectful of their modes and ways of conversing with all of you.

TL;DR. We're busy! People are taking much deserved breaks. And I'm working on stuff that I can't talk about just yet. I'm not gone away, just out of pocket for a moment. ;)

Emphasis on this:

I'm excited to continue my work in BT and the stuff that's going on is really awesome. I can't give further detail beyond my personal hype for what's next. And the hype is real.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
a console release is being teased on Paradox' facebook today. With Stellaris coming to consoles, Battletech might be up next.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Wonder how extensive the little new stories are. I like the chained mission stuff with no time for repairs, and looks like they took a cue from table top with having area control missions to promote the use of faster mechs.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Screenshots have the Crab and the Cyclops, those weren't in the base game IIRC. Probably too much to hope for the Raven, i doubt this DLC is adding the early ECM system (would be more appropriate for the Fourth Succession War proper anyhow).

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would guess 10-15€ given that it doesn't seem full expansion but rather variety of additions to the base game.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Screenshots have the Crab and the Cyclops, those weren't in the base game IIRC. Probably too much to hope for the Raven, i doubt this DLC is adding the early ECM system (would be more appropriate for the Fourth Succession War proper anyhow).

The page description confirms the Crab, Cyclops, and Hatchetman are the 3 new mechs

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
With the price of the game and how it's constantly on sale, I would hope these small expansions be at most $15. I'd gladly give them money to keep updating with new content every few months, but hope they don't price it poorly. I wonder how much content this expansion really adds for folks who already have played through the main campaign and put many hours in, what incentive and how extensive of stories are in these flash points to keep folks playing?

OP
OP

Deleted member 2507

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol still no Marauder or Warhammer. What the fuck HBS....
Given that this DLC probably has been worked since before the lawsuit ended, those could not have been included. And, they're more likely to leave them for a bigger, more important expansion, or perhaps just a free patch given how they were intended to be in the base game original not to mention their classic status.

Vela

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Given that this DLC probably has been worked since before the lawsuit ended, those could not have been included. And, they're more likely to leave them for a bigger, more important expansion, or perhaps just a free patch given how they were intended to be in the base game original not to mention their classic status.

I would just like a statement from HBS or anything. Their communication have gone down the shitter after the game released with no update about the status of Linux support, or the translations, or the promise of the happy ending with the Harmony Gold lawsuit ... they could simply write a response anywhere on social media or the new forums but they're simply dead quiet

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What's the cheapest computer I could build to play this at a decent framerate? Anyone got any ideas. I have a surface pro 4 but I assume I'll need much more than that.