• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kerwop

Dec 15, 2017
missed-point-point.gif

Gotta tell ya. ERA, never fails when it comes to some members completely missing the forest for the trees here.

Not only do I find this very ironic, but if you aren't going to engage with people's arguments this just smells like defeat.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean frankly guys at the end of the day the basis of this thread is people bringing up that Ben Cohen had the ABSOLUTE FUCKING NERVE to suggest that the US be more active in leading a diplomatic solution.
You may wish to read the article and see all the dumb offensive bullshit that is being argued by this organization, of which Cohen is happily the largest funder. He may personally state a bland pro-diplomancy, anti-military funding position, but the people he's financially supporting are arguing much more specific nonsense that wants kowtow to Russian interests and let the Ukrainian people rot.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
I mean the entire premise of this thread is constructing a straw man against Cohen.

If you haven't realized that I don't know what to tell you, my guy.

You still dodging the question what ceasefire and peace even means and what are Ukraine going to do without weapons in the meanwhile? Russia is commiting genocide and war crimes all over ukraine with or without weapons. Peace and ceasefire are also terms Ukraine has to accept as is their decision and right and they've said nothing less than taking back all territories are necessary for peace to begin. This war can stop just as easily stop the moment russia gets the fuck out of Ukraine. They're the ones invading.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
You still dodging the question what ceasefire and peace even means and what are Ukraine going to do without weapons in the meanwhile? Russia is commiting genocide and war crimes all over ukraine with or without weapons. Peace and ceasefire are also terms Ukraine has to accept as is their decision and right and they've said nothing less than taking back all territories are necessary for peace to begin. This war can stop just as easily stop the moment russia gets the fuck out of Ukraine. They're the ones invading.
It's pretty telling that if the situation were changed to the US invading Mexico, claiming the land was always ours, these same people would have a conniption and suddenly peace would be entirely at the mercy of the US. then if you have people telling other countries that they can't support Mexico's self-defense because it isn't promoting peace, they would be rightfully denounced as kooks.

This is only happening because the US is on the correct side for once and it's breaking peoples brains.

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Once again, I find it hilarious that tankies unable to post in the official Ukraine thread are instead posting their misinformed takes on a thread about a fucking ice cream mogul.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
OOOOOOH so we're worried about escalation!

Gee whiz you guys, who could possibly foresee the possibility that continued military intervention in Ukraine brings about the dangers of escalation?

Man. It's a shame there's no one, possibly even in good faith following a lifetime of activism against ethnic cleansing and war is speaking out in favor of finding a way to end this peacefully! Nah, but the only people who could possibly bring that up must clearly be solely on the side of Russia.

Fucking tankies, amirite you guys?

Sad thing is that it's apathy and appeasement is what led to this war in the first place. Putin got a slap on his finger after Russia invaded Georgia, no one even remembers Chechnya, and nothing happened when Crimea got annexed except for some sanctions. Unfortunately, with nukes we are indeed limited in ways we can help Ukraine, a direct confrontation with Russia with the combined might of NATO would cross those red lines that could lead to nuclear calamity. There are other countries like Poland who are also itching to help more directly but also can't because of that. Fortunately, aiding Ukraine with desperately needed military aid to defend themselves does not cross those red lines. And I do agree we should do more in that aid, giving them more and stronger air defense, modern tanks, planes and NATO equipment.
If the west had continued to play into Putin's ambitions and continued appeasement like with Crimea Ukraine would probably have been conquered by now, the country would have been completely locked down, and we would have to witness genocide in the multitude of hundreds of thousands all across Ukraine until they were completely subservient. Military aid has already ruined most of Putin's plans for Ukraine, devastated Russia internally creating a huge deterrent of what they can do, so there is nothing he wants more than a pause in the war to lick his wounds so he can recruit and train 400k new conscripts to fill the gaps to continue the war half a year or so. The naivete thinking you can continue appeasement with a tyrannical dictator like Putin is incomprehensible and just ignores every single example of history we have.

This is why useful idiots like Cohen is what Putin craves the most right now.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Its adorable how butthurt the Horseshoe Theory makes online leftists.

Especially when it makes people like come into this thread whining about instead of actually reading the disgusting shit leftists are posting in here.

This is why leftists in most western countries are rightly seen as a fucking joke
Genuine question here: do you mean tankies or all leftists? You seem to be really mad at the entire left movement in general over your posts, so it made me wonder and I'd appreciate you clarifying. It's quite a broad movement, with many including myself, fucking despising tankies.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Genuine question here: do you mean tankies or all leftists? You seem to be really mad at the entire left movement in general over your posts, so it made me wonder and I'd appreciate you clarifying. It's quite a broad movement, with many including myself, fucking despising tankies.

I mean Tankies. But any online leftist group that entertains them and doesn't call them out isn't helping their case.

I've sadly seen plenty of leftists out there who do not seem to agree with Tankies at all yet seem content to tolerate their crap.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Once again, I find it hilarious that tankies unable to post in the official Ukraine thread are instead posting their misinformed takes on a thread about a fucking ice cream mogul.
I still remember they tried the same shit in the ukraine thread at the beginning but mods started banning them when they went on with their usual bs which caused them to stop it in the OT.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
You can't be anti-war without condemning the instigator and perpetrator of said conflict, or worse, discounting their agency or even excusing it as an act of self-determination. If you're just pro-genocide, then you might as well be efficient and call for more weapons for the aggressor to "end" the conflict quickly.

You can't be against any and all American interventionism and then advocate for a different form of it in the same breath. The US also can't both be doing too much or too little in terms of a specified type of intervention.

You can't condemn one campaign of aggression and then condone or excuse another one in a different part of the world between different actors and be logically consistent. If you truly care about people, at least, beyond the trappings of geopolitics.

Things are a god damn mess.

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
it still baffles me that people are willing to either ignore or downplay how vile TheGrayzone and people like Mate are

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
Why are people mollycoddling a guy giving millions of dollars to an organization that wants to stop giving weapons to Ukraine?

He isn't naive, he is a jackass.

He isn't a college freshmamn that just read Horward Zinn for the first time. He is a smart business man giving a million dollars to an organization spouting Kremlin talking points.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Why are people mollycoddling a guy giving millions of dollars to an organization that wants to stop giving weapons to Ukraine?

He isn't naive, he is a jackass.

He isn't a college freshmamn that just read Horward Zinn for the first time. He is a smart business man giving a million dollars to an organization spouting Kremlin talking points.
Another reminder that rich != well informed.

poseph

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (Permanently): Troll Account
if you think it's not America's job to kill bad guys and arm good guys you're incredibly naive and a tankie you have no rizz. before you open your dumb fucking mouths again, take time to read more literature on the subject (the official ukraine war thread on resetera)

Barbarossa

Oct 30, 2017
if you think it's not America's job to kill bad guys and arm good guys you're incredibly naive and a tankie you have no rizz. before you open your dumb fucking mouths again, take time to read more literature on the subject (the official ukraine war thread on resetera)
If you're going to troll at least put effort into it.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
not sure what you guys mean re: all this genocide stuff

To engage with this sincerely: The Russian invasion of Ukraine has involved several actions that are arguable, and by many parties recognised, as genocide, being acts motivated with the destruction or displacement of an ethnic group, particularly on the basis of it being said ethnic group. Whether that was the massacre of civilians in places like Bucha early into the current invasion, or the 'evacuation' - read: kidnapping - of Ukrainian children from occupied territories, to then be forcefully adopted by Russian citizens. This is what Putin was really charged with by the International Criminal Court

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
I think it needs to be said that pacifism is a valid worldview and that you are not stupid or a coward for being a pacifist.

But donating money to the cause of disarming only one side of a conflict is not pacifism. That is intervening in a conflict with the impact of helping the aggressor. That is very, very stupid, and harms the cause of pacifism.

And please stop responding to an obvious troll/alt account.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil

Not sure what you mean by implying that people here are exaggerating stuff.

It's a war motivated by a desire of denying the Ukraine nation, people and culture the right to exist. There are deportations, children being sent to Russia in order to be made into Russian citizens denying their origins and multiple war crimes against both civilians and military personnel.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGZ66uKcl0

Oct 25, 2017
In occupied areas Russians are burning Ukrainian books, banning the teachings of its language and history and committing systematic killings of anyone who they suspect to be pro-Ukraine, and have forced adoption of hundreds of thousands of Ukrainian children to relocate them in Russia.

If Ukraine stops fighting it will cease to exist

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I mean if you think about it, it's always beneficial to just let the violent authoritative aggressor, who sees no limit to their borders, and views other ethnicities as inferior, just take its neighboring countries. When the world let Nazi Germany take Poland the war ended early and no one was hurt. Everyone knows this. Dummies.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
But guys hear me out. What if instead of us giving you weapons to defend yourselves against this genocidal invader, we were to just find "a diplomatic solution" that Putin agrees to, as a reward for him destroying your homes, massacring your families and kidnapping your children? Maybe instead of seeing such a response as incentive to continue his aim to exterminate the Ukrainian nation, culture and people, he would for some reason stop utilizing this tactic which we've now made successful? Because he's clearly one of those nice disingenuous war criminals who you can trust. If you instead opt to continue defending yourselves against this genocide, the blood from prolonging the invader's war is on your hands.

Imagine saying things like this to the families of the dead strewn on the streets. It is impossible for me to understand people who think along those lines. It's not only fucked beyond belief, it's impossibly nonsensical and daft. It's an idiotic and fucking disgusting mentality. Especially so with the attempts at ascribing moral righteousness to it. You pretend to be pro-Ukraine while arguing for weakening Ukraine's defense, actively dismissing and going against Ukraine's explicit requests. You pretend to be anti-war while supporting the success of the aggressor of a genocidal war. You pretend to be righteous while being a dire fucking piece of shit.

I hope and believe that people like this are a vast minority. Like those morally repugnant dunces in the WW2 photo. They're barely better than the Nazis, but there's like ten of them. Shame when it's someone who has the means to attempt meaningful steps towards their fucked up bullshit position like this Ben Cohen prick.

red_shift_ltd

May 24, 2019
US
Oh I know, but that's not to say he shouldn't be coddled, either. If you are giving a million bucks to something, I am assuming you at least looked at it.
I completely agree. I meant that there's a cult of poor wealth worshipers that say this kind of thing must be right because how could a rich person also be wrong.

In this case Ben's just making it worse for the world and amplifying suffering with his money. Appeasement doesn't work and we have an example from not very long ago.

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
Its adorable how butthurt the Horseshoe Theory makes online leftists.

Especially when it makes people like come into this thread whining about instead of actually reading the disgusting shit leftists are posting in here.

This is why leftists in most western countries are rightly seen as a fucking joke

Not all leftists are tankies, and many countries in the west are governed by leftist parties or alliances. Bad take tbh.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I am glad he is not still running the company so I can continue to sometimes enjoy the icecream in ignorant bliss, but sheesh..

Tankies, pls.

I think people taking umbrage with the term may appreciate the update of neo-tankies, if they should so please.

Just like how nazis have their updated neo-nazi term to show that it ain't all about Hitler's Germany anymore, just the juicy essential racism. Neo-tankies are all about the juicy essential anti-west/americanism. Or if we like alliteration, then Today-Tankies.

Oct 25, 2017
I fucking hate these cowards that don't get that Russia is the bad guy in this situation and that the ENTIRE WORLD can't let Russia take Ukraine.

This should be used as an example of what happens if a country tries to conquer another, instead of just letting them win.

I fucking hate "leftists/progressives" like this.

ADS

Oct 27, 2017

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Putin has been in genocide business for decades. The scale of human suffering caused Putin's Russia internationally and domestically has often been ignored.

To attempt to stop military aid to Ukraine is morally wrong. Something that Trump would do.