• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Bobby from Sega's Riot City.

oFCdcip.gif

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Alway's liked SF Makoto's walk animations. So much effort and coordination for such a slow walk.
sQhlXbC.gif

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Big bump, but not new thread worthy.

Anyone recall a terrible conversation animation where the character was super anime animated with flailing arms and stuff? Conversation was mundane but character's animation was hyper anime. Happens is way too many JP games, but there was one in recent years that stood out. I just can't remember what game it was!

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Worst goes to all EA games that have that awkward motion captured "Ash Ketchum runs at the end of Episode 1 Pokèmon" feel to it. Fallen Order has it too.
Cgov.gif

There's just something about running in the Mass Effect games... *chefkiss*

edit: beaten by seconds
I just realized how this works mechanically since there's two different sprint animations based on the gun you carry. They seperated the animation of the torso from the legs, and try to make it look synced but it ends up looking like it's two animations cut over in the middle.

verygooster

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
This has been my biggest point of contention as I run through The Evil Within 2. I cannot stand Sebastian's default jog animation because he still moves at a snail's pace and I just find it so weirdly annoying I wish he was just walking instead.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_om4ew4rT951qhd8hxo1_250.gifv

the big dick energy from this animation could be felt all across tamriel with every stride Runs-Over-Cliffs took.

edit: I've a fondness for the rotoscope animations of old, particularly the OG Prince of Persia.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Worst goes to all EA games that have that awkward motion captured "Ash Ketchum runs at the end of Episode 1 Pokèmon" feel to it. Fallen Order has it too.

I just realized how this works mechanically since there's two different sprint animations based on the gun you carry. They seperated the animation of the torso from the legs, and try to make it look synced but it ends up looking like it's two animations cut over in the middle.

Its also designed for when you're wearing armour, it doesn't really look as bad in the rest of the game.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Big bump, but not new thread worthy.

Anyone recall a terrible conversation animation where the character was super anime animated with flailing arms and stuff? Conversation was mundane but character's animation was hyper anime. Happens is way too many JP games, but there was one in recent years that stood out. I just can't remember what game it was!
lol was it FF15

k0bclVs.gif

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Falconers should have never existed. Terrible enemies to fight, and then there's this...

FaroffShrillAxolotl-size_restricted.gif

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's the brother of the programmer on the parking lot of the company he was working at (edit: It was a Readers Digest parkinglot).

This is great, Ars Technica also has a really good War Story about the making of the game (a lot of the same stuff, but still a good watch).

m.youtube.com

How Prince of Persia Defeated Apple II's Memory Limitations | War Stories | Ars Technica

For today’s episode of War Stories, Ars Technica sat down with Prince of Persia creator Jordan Mechner to learn about the challenges he faced while bringing ...

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Genshin Impact has beautiful walking and running animations.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-2084c8d138b429cc3f.gif

ezgif.com-gif-maker-1684f83d95a6249749.gif

And they are unique for every character, lol.

1bad8e395f12235ffadacd53eedd62a1_1525863196771150261.gif

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
When they're good, they contribute significantly to the atmosphere and art style of the game. That might sound like an exaggeration, but look at Alucard from Symphony of the Night.

tumblr_inline_nc6x813VH31r8z4qq.gif

Regal elegance. Exertion with restraint. Fluid and detailed. Very unique.

No. Alucard always looked like he was running in place. His movement is dynamic and smooth, but doesn't match the speed he's moving at. He moves too slow for the way he's running.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
now that it's more relevant again, Melia from Xenoblade has one of the worst walking cycles from any notable game I've played recently

the animation is actually broken.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Death Stranding has a really good one where Sam jumps right and left when he's on uneven terrain. Can't find a good gif though