Status
Not open for further replies.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Escaflowne is basically an Isekai and that's not too weird from what i recall.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Escaflowne is basically an Isekai and that's not too weird from what i recall.
That's pre-isekai. It's debatable at which point all Japanese portal fantasy series became "isekai" as we know it. Personally I consider Familiar of Zero to be the turning point, but it's usually considered to be SAO and its derivatives.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Not a hot take but Jujutsu really is a great time. Not much filler at all. Cool universe. Likable characters. Highly recommend.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
That's pre-isekai. It's debatable at which point all Japanese portal fantasy series became "isekai" as we know it. Personally I consider Familiar of Zero to be the turning point, but it's usually considered to be SAO and its derivatives.

It's kind of splitting hairs. Like Dunbine is Isekai and I wouldn't say otherwise just because the modern genre is flooded by 10 shitty series that come out weekly. My Life as a Washine Machine in Fantasy Italy just came out as i was typing.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
It's kind of splitting hairs. Like Dunbine is Isekai and I wouldn't say otherwise just because the modern genre is flooded by 10 shitty series that come out weekly.
I personally don't think so. Language is meant to convey meaning, and calling Spirited Away an isekai is not at all conveying the meaning you want. Sometimes you have to just let the meaning of words change.

Hydra_BE

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sonny Boy should be 1, and Odd Taxi should be 1a.

Having watched the entirety of Mushoku Tensei, despite all its visual beauty and world building, is another LN/otaku show that can't get out of its way. There are plenty of fish out of water/isekai shows that provide the same themes without being as repulsive.

Plus for all the gushing about the animation, the production definitely falls off a cliff in the second season.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
I personally don't think so. Language is meant to convey meaning, and calling Spirited Away an isekai is not at all conveying the meaning you want. Sometimes you have to just let the meaning of words change.

Conveying the meaning you want is dependant on the person. You are free to use the word how you want I guess but I'll stick with how it works for me.

Erwin

Banned
Mar 24, 2021
i need to finish megalobox, i was really enjoying season 2, but for some reason i didn't continue it

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Inuyasha was problematic too 😏
princess-bride-you-keep-using-that-word.gif

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone should be surprised with Gigguk considering he unironically loves stuff like Oreimo.

That makes zero sense lol. Also a bunch of isekai shoujo stuff that started up in the 80s doesn't count either now? Its the same thing except modern post 90s isekai is usually trash.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Vivy feels like it gets thrown down too far on these lists. Vivy is so damn good and being original and high concept brings it up that much more.

May 21, 2018
Remember when isekai series were centered around girls? And were good?

Also before they threw world-building out the window and leaned on levels and game mechanics as a lazy substitute because their primary demographic are all familiar with that. Which just leads to each round of isekai pandering harder and harder to that niche audience.

As an aside, Mushoku is considered the father of modern-day isekai and has actual world-building and stuff. A lot of current isekai were inspired by Mushoku.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
We have decided to lock this thread and not host discussion on the show due to the very problematic depiction of underage sexualization and pedophilia.

Status
Not open for further replies.