• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'll add the smaller scale battle from IJ the last crusade. Love that whole scene with the tank and Indy's horse skills.

I suppose it's more of a chase scene, but I really think it is great too! A linear chase sequence opens opens up opportunities to explore all sorts of creative ways to keep up the tension and keep it interesting.

In-fact, The Last Crusade has so many creative chase scenes, with the opening circus train, the aeroplane, the motorbikes etc. Really firing on all cylinders, which is why I think it is definitely on par with Raiders.

When you break it down, the tank chase really explores the space, and keeps the audience engaged by using different aspects of the tank, whether it's the treads acting as a moving surface to fight on, Indy handing onto the turret from his braces... the pen being squirted into the Nazi blokes eyes etc.

It's really quite clever.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
Red Cliff.

Got some amazing big brain strats (like 'stealing' the enemies' arrows using a decoy boat stacked with hay walls to bait out enemy archers) scenes, plus more 'standard' large scale action sequences, all set in China's Three Kingdoms era.

One of the best historical drama/wuxia I've ever seen.
ABSOLUTELY! Red Cliff was the first film that even came to mind for me.

The Battle of Scarif in Rogue One is so damn awesome it brings tears to my eyes.
Definitely a good one!

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
I've always been a bit ambivalent about Pelennor Fields, once I was over the impressive scale. The battlefield is so flat and featureless that it reminds me of a Tekken background, where it's a flat plain into infinity with a CG backdrop. Not helped by how dull and yellow/brown it looks - should have been farmland at least, to break things up and provide a reason for this huge open plain.

I just don't like the whole CG armies charging at each other across a convenient open field thing. It's lazy and I was disappointed when Infinity War fell back on it.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's more of a chase scene, but I really think it is great too! A linear chase sequence opens opens up opportunities to explore all sorts of creative ways to keep up the tension and keep it interesting.

In-fact, The Last Crusade has so many creative chase scenes, with the opening circus train, the aeroplane, the motorbikes etc. Really firing on all cylinders, which is why I think it is definitely on par with Raiders.

When you break it down, the tank chase really explores the space, and keeps the audience engaged by using different aspects of the tank, whether it's the treads acting as a moving surface to fight on, Indy handing onto the turret from his braces... the pen being squirted into the Nazi blokes eyes etc.

It's really quite clever.
Ya it's classic old school action. It's so hard for me to pick a favourite with those movies but if I had to pick one it would TLC because of that scene alone. Great movie.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Helm's Deep is the greatest, because it's not simply a big "two armies charge at each other" action scene, it's pretty much the whole third act of the film in varying stages, each of them excellent. The moody night setting is a plus.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TFW no one posts the GOAT Braveheart

This really pushed muck and blood and chaos in the micro and order in the macro - but also one of the few notes of historical accuracy as it relates to the spear and trench traps - but like most of Braveheart it mixes up different battles and people - Bannockburn, Stirling bridge and Bruce and Wallace.

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
Battle of Geonosis wasn't the best, but it had General Yoda directing armies of clones and Jedi against a Droid/bug army. It wins an honorable mention for that fact alone. Plus, I love the walkers and gunships, spider droids, and other designs.

How about a shout out for Aquaman's final battle? I wasn't expecting that, and it was quite well done.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was pleasantly surprised when Aquaman's big battle wasn't as sucky as the last few marvel ones, but it's still pretty average. I'm super over "big battle" scenes. Give me impactful personal fights.

Also don't trust anyone who says "Gladiator opening scene"

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
It's hard to beat LOTR in this category. I know you said movies but I do want to say that I think stuff like Battle of the Bastards is also better than like 99% of the biggest budget Hollywood movies of all time though.

Top 5 in all genres:

Lotr rotk: pellenor fields
Got: battle of the bastards
Lot TT: helmsdeep
Got: hardhome
Got: beyond the wall

Vikings (siege of paris and season 5 part 1 ending), Spartacus (ending battle), saving private, 300, troy, star wars, hobbit battle of the five armies also have some good shit.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it sucks so much growing up and finding out that it's all pretty much mel gibson's william wallace fan fic.

Still a great movie, though
This really pushed muck and blood and chaos in the micro and order in the macro - but also one of the few notes of historical accuracy as it relates to the spear and trench traps - but like most of Braveheart it mixes up different battles and people - Bannockburn, Stirling bridge and Bruce and Wallace.
I guess the inaccuracy doesn't really bother me. If it wasn't such a fantastic movie, maybe it would.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
I'd like to give a special shout-out to my favorite underappreciated show the last kingdom. It's one of the best shows on television and I love watching their actual use of battlefield tactics versus so many other medieval shows that just show people running and slashing randomly
minus Uthred and his heroic antics of course. They're fun but probably not very realistic

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the inaccuracy doesn't really bother me. If it wasn't such a fantastic movie, maybe it would.

Oh I was born and raised a dozen miles away and we don't didn't mind. I think of it as Thor Ragnarok containing planet Hulk etc. It's not a documentary so do what's right for the medium as long as it's an interesting or additive thing. The Chris Pine Robert the Bruce biopic on Netflix kind of mirrors some of it but also illustrates how much Braveheart blends Bruce and Wallace into one mythicized character.

I still don't understand why they didn't show the Bruce spider/cave scene. Would have made the perfect third act redemption trigger.

Dusktildawn48

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
St. Louis
It's a really good opener, one of my favourites to a star wars movie. Lots of good action, nice comedic banter, and some of the few good examples of CGI and actually directing.

I still really need to watch this and RAN.

Pacing on this was perfect too. The space battle was intense.

I came into this thread just to mention helms deep. But thats cause it includes my favourite moments in the trilogy. The music, Legolas and Gimli having there banter throughout the battle, aragorns charge with the elves, the elves arriving, the claustrophobia of fighting on the wall.

And my personal favourite line 'Ride with me' and the final charge.
Plus the explosion that takes out the wall. Shit was awesome.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The GoT directors have been hyping this seasons battle as one of the biggest filmed so im curious about how that looks.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
The following might not be the best but they are quite interesting allthough they are lesser known and appreciated :
Potop (The Deluge) - 1974 Poland. The Battle of Prostki, 1656, where the Swedes and their allies fought the Polish Lithuanian forces and we get to see the Winged Hussars charge. No subs.

Слуга государев (The Sovereign's servant) - 2007 Russia. The battle of Poltava, 1709, where the Swedes were against the army of Peter the Great. Bad sound and no subs.

Алекса́ндр Не́вский (Alexander Nevsky) - 1938 USSR. Sergei Eizenstein's epic of the Battle on the Ice/of lake Peipuss between the Eastern Orthodox forces of Novgorod and the Teutons. English subs.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I think Star Wars movies have MANY epic large scale battle scenes, especially in the prequels. I mean the battle at the end of Attack of the Clones is incredible. But the battle of Hoth remains the best one.
The battle at the end of Attack of Clones is garbage. When I was a kid it was my favorite part,I rewatched it about 2 years ago and it isn't even enjoyable at all.

I haven't seen Lawrence of Arabia but Two Towers and Return of the King have my favorites.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
For me this thread may as well be called "Best large-scale battle in The Lord of the Rings."

And I'll go with Pelennor Fields too. Rohan's charge into the ranks of Mordor gives me goosebumps everytime I see it, even now. Definitely my favourite!

Kabuki Waq

Oct 26, 2017
the shoddy cgi in rotk really took me out of the battle scenes. saving private ryan was pretty amazing imo

Berto

Oct 25, 2017
Barry Lyndon has neat scene, although quite short where the british and french (?) army clash. Can't post video now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
For me this thread may as well be called "Best large-scale battle in The Lord of the Rings."

And I'll go with Pelennor Fields too. Rohan's charge into the ranks of Mordor gives me goosebumps everytime I see it, even now. Definitely my favourite!

Actually that could be very true. I could easily put 3 Lord if the Rings Universe battle in my top 3.

I mean even the first battle, the one where Mens and Elves are fighting Sauron is absolutely jaw dropping !

Excuse me

Oct 30, 2017
Oliver Stone's Alexander had bad ass opening fight, smaller battle at the jungle was awesome as well. Only seen Kingdom of Heaven once and it also had impressive battle scenes.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
For me it's probably the introduction of the community of the ring. It was so awesome at that time, and one of the first shots of the movie, you knew you were going for an insane ride.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Dunno if it's the best but when the Rohirrim arrive...

tumblr_mt17zsYLoT1sisy7qo1_500.gif

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
I'd have to go smaller scale since all the best epic scale ones have been posted and Overall the Movie isn't so great but -

The Mechs VS Squiddies battle towards the end of Matrix Revolution I still really enjoy to this day.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Of course:
1. ROTK
2. Admiral: Roaring currents.
3. Independence day 1996.
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Rogue One
6. Helm's Deep
7. The Patriot