• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
More developers need to drag the industry into the future. Kicking and screaming if need be. Growing pains are inevitable. Ultimately it's for the best to let players play together.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
I don't get this line of thinking. Why would you NOT want to publish on the console with the biggest player base just to make a point (if that's their actual intention).

That's just shitty business sense.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
But my point is if they start making demands Sony would likely tell them in as professional manner as possible to go fuck themselves. They would lose 80-90 million potential customers for future titles if Sony played hardball

That's a bold assertion. None of those PS4 owners have a PC? A Switch? A phone? An Xbox?

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
It might be "just a card game" but Bethesda is starting to work in a crossplay/crossprogression environment. When the day comes where crossplay/progression is the norm, Sony better make it very easy to develop for, otherwise companies will have difficulties getting crossplay to work correctly in the beginning.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
But my point is if they start making demands Sony would likely tell them in as professional manner as possible to go fuck themselves. They would lose 80-90 million potential customers for future titles if Sony played hardball

This seems like wild speculation at best. Lot's of publishers choose to not release games on certain platforms for a wide variety of reasons. It doesn't normally result in a platform holder telling them to 'go fuck themselves'. The platform not supporting a core feature of the game is absolutely valid reason for a game not to release there. It's why SUPERHOT VR isn't on Xbox One and why Kinect Party didn't release on PS3. The difference is, I guess, that it's not a hardware/technical hurdle. It's a policy. But Bethesda is just saying, that's fine, we will only release The Elder Scrolls Legends on platforms that support full cross progression/cross play. There's no need to make a 'slippery slope' argument or pretend that Bethesda are gonna withhold any of their single player games from the platform. They're not saying that at all.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
It's well within their rights to withhold the game from PS4, but doing so would be just as anti-consumer to those looking forward to it if the game is already ready to go and announced for it and they pull the plug for this reason. Crossplay/progression may be their vision but it's not like the game literally cannot function if a version has its own (potentially large) separate ecosystem.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
at this point sony must realize that cross play is the future, but i think they're just keeping it to announce it at ps5 reveal and have people applaud as if they invented it.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well. They said that they prefer having it crossplay across platforms, so i said ps4 also fulfils that criterion since sony enable crossplay on pc too at least for now like ff14 does. Am i wrong? But i dont think sony want to go crossplay across all consoles for now, i think this will be their gimmick for next generation
Either you're missing the point, still not reading the OP and making assumptions, or being intentionally ignorant to downplay Sony's ant-consumer stance on cross play and cross progression.

It is important to the dev team that cross progression work between all platforms for The Elder Scrolls Legends. This way you can use one account and all of the cards you have on every platform. Sony will not allow this with Xbox and Switch, which the game is also coming out on. Since their stance on cross play and cross progression is so convoluted this will lock players out of playing on Xbox and Switch (and maybe other platforms in the future if Sony wants). Because they're the only platform which takes this convoluted stance on cross progression Bethesda might not even bother releasing it on PS4. Bethesda obviously sees cross progression as a very important part of The Elder Scrolls Legends.

And on that topic:
If you're going to do that with one game why not another? Crossplay is crossplay. Bethesda was very vocal about Fallout 76 not having it because of "Sony's stance." Yet they didn't seem to not want to release the game there.
This is absolutely ridiculous. This is a bad point. It only serves to shift blame towards Bethesda for being hypocritical instead of accurately pointing the finger at Sony for their convoluted, anti-consumer stance on cross play and cross progression.

Fallout 76 is a survival RPG. The Elder Scrolls Legends is a collectable card game. Those are two very different genres. The Elder Scrolls Legends is easy to pick up and play for a few minutes anywhere. As a result cross progression is important so your account and cards can be used on any platform. Whether that be your Xbox or your phone or your PC you can play with the same cards. That's very important in a CCG, and Sony's stance on cross progression would make the idea of playing on any platform needlessly complicated. Fallout 76 is a different game that you're likely only playing in the comfort of your home. Cross progression is likely less important for that reason since your platform of choice will always be easily accessible when you're going to play it. Cross play would be nice as it would increase the pool of players for everyone and allow friends to play with each other despite owning different platforms, but its not necessary in the same way that cross progression is for The Elder Scrolls Legends.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
If Bethesda is all about cross-play they should release Fallout 76 on Steam instead of locking it behind their own launcher only.
lol, I just saw this thread.

Will be keeping an eye on Fallout 76 also.

In really curious if it will have its own account, and how that will play out on consoles...

What has that got to do with cross-play

Probably nothing, but what about cross progression? Curious to see how the account situation is handled.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Probably nothing, but what about cross progression? Curious to see how the account situation is handled.

I doubt it'll support cross progression but who knows? Would be great. I'd say that mod support (Xbox doesn't support all PC mods as far as I know) would keep cross progression away but I'm assuming mods might not be supported in a multiplayer focused game anyway? Hadn't thought of that till now!

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Good for Bethesda. Sony should be asked why their backwards policies are keeping games off their platform, and more developers who can afford to should take a stand as well.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Go ahead Bethesda. Sony should have kicked Skyrim off it's platform after it ran at 5 frames per second on my PS3. Thanks for letting me waste $60 on that garbage.

In all seriousness no one cares if another card game doesn't show up on PSN.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Why is Sony against crossplay still? I thought Nintendo would have been the stubborn one

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't really see how the thread title reflects what was said in the interview.

PS4 also does support cross-play, just not with two platforms.

Until Bethesda comes out and says no PS4 version because of cross-platform restrictions I don't think there's any real news here.

Jun 17, 2018
Good! I'm with Bethesda on this. Cross play/progression to me is so important, I want to be able to buy a game and not worry about the player base dwindling on a certain platform or moving over from one system to another and picking up where I left off.

One day...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see how the thread title reflects what was said in the interview.

PS4 also does support cross-play, just not with two platforms.

Until Bethesda comes out and says no PS4 version because of cross-platform restrictions I don't think there's any real news here.

He literally says in the interview that it has to play with and have cross progression with every platform, no exceptions. He's clearly talking about PS4.

"It is both cross-platform play and cross-platform progress."

I cut him off at this point to clarify that the cross-play would only be on "certain systems," since I figured this wouldn't apply on PS4.

Hines replied, "It is our intention in order for the game to come out, it has to be those things on any system. We cannot have a game that works one way across everywhere else except for on this one thing. The way the game works right now on Apple, Google, Steam, and Bethesda.net, it doesn't matter where you buy your stuff, if you play it on another platform that stuff is there. It doesn't matter what platform you play on, you play against everyone else who is playing at that moment.

I asked him if that meant there's a chance it won't come out on PlayStation 4 if Sony doesn't change its stance. "We continue to talk to all of our platform partners," Hines added. "But those [terms] are essentially non-negotiable. We can't be talking about one version of Legends, where you take your progress with you, and another version where you stay within that ecosystem or its walled off from everything else. That is counter to what the game has been about."

I told Hines that Sony isn't letting Fortnite offer cross-play, and that game is the biggest thing out there right now. "I am aware," he said. "I'm just telling you that's our stance. That is our intent. And that is our message. Not specific to anyone in particular, but to everyone we are talking about. This is 100 percent clear. This is what we are doing, what we need, and what we intend."

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
PR talk, they wouldn't have announced it for PS4 if this was going to be their stance.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
they seem to be throwing their weight around in odd ways recently. between suing the guy selling a game "new" on amazon marketplace (which was a BS move that literally achieves nothing) and this, i'm kinda losing favor with them as a company.

in this instance they won't do it though, it's a hollow threat. and as people have said. if they are going to do these "power moves" do it with fallout 76. actually grow a pair and do it with a game people might actually care about.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
To all the people saying they won't do it, what if they do and it's still a runaway success? Then what? It's not like you need Sony to make a PC or console hit, look at Hearthstone, PUBG, DOTA, or Minecraft before it was ported to PS3/Vita.

The only way Sony is going to change is developer or gamer pressure, this is a great start.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
"may" not release. ie. it will release but we'll see if we can create waves anyway.

Well that's speculation isn't it? All we have is Bethesda saying it's 'non negotiable' for every platform and specifically making a point of not calling out any particular platform (although it's obvious which one they're talking about). Bethesda didn't even bring this up in the interview - it was a question asked of them when they said that their game is fully cross-play/cross-progression. They're not making a very good job of 'making waves' if that's the intention. Not bringing it up until asked about it and then failing to name and shame any particular platform. Fun to speculate though.

"[The Elder Scrolls Legends] is a strategy card game that encompasses both single and multiplayer," Hines said. "It is both cross-platform play and cross-platform progress."

I cut him off at this point to clarify that the cross-play would only be on "certain systems," since I figured this wouldn't apply on PS4.

I told Hines that Sony isn't letting Fortnite offer cross-play, and that game is the biggest thing out there right now. "I am aware," he said. "I'm just telling you that's our stance. That is our intent. And that is our message. Not specific to anyone in particular, but to everyone we are talking about. This is 100 percent clear. This is what we are doing, what we need, and what we intend."

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand what you're saying.

The article is about Bethesda potentially not releasing The Elder Scrolls: Legends on platforms that don't support cross-progression/cross-play. Your response was...

If it was Fallout 76 maybe, but a card game.

Just wondered why you think they wouldn't keep a card game back from releasing on the PS4? Or were you saying that they should make a card game but it be Fallout 76 themed? Maybe I'm lost.

WillySJ3

Oct 31, 2017
The article is about Bethesda potentially not releasing The Elder Scrolls: Legends on platforms that don't support cross-progression/cross-play. Your response was...

Just wondered why you think they wouldn't keep a card game back from releasing on the PS4? Or were you saying that they should make a card game but it be Fallout 76 themed? Maybe I'm lost.
Ah sorry, I was just saying that maybe they could put some pressure on Sony if it was a big game like Fallout 76, and not some card game. Of course they won't leave PS4 out just for cross play, that's simple PR talk.

faced

Dec 17, 2017
Wait are we taking Bethesda's side now?

The company suing people for selling used games on eBay?

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this line of thinking. Why would you NOT want to publish on the console with the biggest player base just to make a point (if that's their actual intention).

the game is on smartphones, they don't actually need the PS4 userbase if it's going to be locked off from all other platforms.

Deleted member 3190

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The long-term effects on the industry are more beneficial than the short-term downside for this one game. Especially since this game will be on mobile, which alone would be enough to sustain it if successful.