• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
At this year's QuakeCon in Dallas, Texas, I sat down with Pete Hines, Bethesda's senior vice president of global marketing and communications, to talk about the forthcoming console version of The Elder Scrolls Legends. My first question was for Hines to give a general overview of what console players should expect from The Elder Scrolls: Legends when it eventually hits on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Switch.

"[The Elder Scrolls Legends] is a strategy card game that encompasses both single and multiplayer," Hines said. "It is both cross-platform play and cross-platform progress."

I cut him off at this point to clarify that the cross-play would only be on "certain systems," since I figured this wouldn't apply on PS4.

Hines replied, "It is our intention in order for the game to come out, it has to be those things on any system. We cannot have a game that works one way across everywhere else except for on this one thing. The way the game works right now on Apple, Google, Steam, and Bethesda.net, it doesn't matter where you buy your stuff, if you play it on another platform that stuff is there. It doesn't matter what platform you play on, you play against everyone else who is playing at that moment. There's no 'Oh, it's easier to control, or it has a better framerate on this system.' It's a strategy card game. It doesn't matter."

I asked him if that meant there's a chance it won't come out on PlayStation 4 if Sony doesn't change its stance. "We continue to talk to all of our platform partners," Hines added. "But those [terms] are essentially non-negotiable. We can't be talking about one version of Legends, where you take your progress with you, and another version where you stay within that ecosystem or its walled off from everything else. That is counter to what the game has been about."

I told Hines that Sony isn't letting Fortnite offer cross-play, and that game is the biggest thing out there right now. "I am aware," he said. "I'm just telling you that's our stance. That is our intent. And that is our message. Not specific to anyone in particular, but to everyone we are talking about. This is 100 percent clear. This is what we are doing, what we need, and what we intend."

Hines didn't outright name Sony in any capacity, but unless Bethesda is doing something different with its cross-platform efforts that conflicts with the freedom Xbox One and Switch currently allow, it has to be PlayStation 4.
https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/0...-legends-on-systems-that-dont-allow-crossplay

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
460236017325178890.png

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I hope more devs follow suit; though I'd also be OK with them just having cross play between everything sans PS4.

Dorfdad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Are you going to deny the game to over 70 million customers if Sony doesn't allow crossplay?"

No I believe he's just trying to send a message to Sony but excluding yourself from a market it 70+ million consoles would be silly from a business perspective. Of course only a small minority of gamers will even care IMHO. It's a card game which most console owners could probably care less about.

Syf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
lol at anyone thinking this card game hardly anyone cares about is gonna make Sony reconsider its stance. Other way around if anything.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
I don't think lots of developers will do it this gen. I see more developers taking part in this when Sony doesn't have as much leverage next gen.

TheKidObi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope more devs follow suit; though I'd also be OK with them just having cross play between everything sans PS4.
This would work wonderful in NBA 2k and Fifa, I play a lot of My Team and Fifa Ultimate team , but I doubt the publisher care enough to allow players to switch platform anytime and all their progression will still be there. They lose shit ton of money on people buying stuff over again

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Like most here are saying I doubt Sony cares about a card game. If it was Fallout 76 then we're talking.

Shark

Oct 28, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Good luck.gif

I doubt Sony would care about this tbh. Maybe if it was Fallout 76 but this? This won't make them care one bit.
And Bethesda wouldn't not release Fallout 76 on PlayStation. It's an empty threat. Personally, card games on console are the worst version to play and I doubt Sony would consider it much of a loss if it came to fruition.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you.

This is the point some of us was making in that massive cross play thread. That got piled on for what reason I have no idea....

Take a stand as a dev, publisher if it matters so much.

Those saying systems, lol...clarification is needed, they should have said console cross play.

I believe cross play is still available on PC and mobile with Sony. Unless PC and mobile are no longer considered platforms.

Cross progression is the bigger issue IMO.

But like some have said, money talks. We shall see. For Sony to change it has to start somewhere, from either Sony or publishers, devs.

Last edited:

Camonna Tong

Mar 2, 2018
Empty wording. Sony could just easily allow it with PC and that'll be the end of that.
Uh, what? That's not how it works. The article states there will be no exceptions.

This would make more sense as to why when Sony refused cross-platform on Fallout 76 the whole thing was thrown out. Sounds to me like the system supports everything, but doesn't do exceptions. Either because they don't want to set it up, or can't (doubt that).

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
"We continue to talk to all of our platform partners," Hines added. "But those [terms] are essentially non-negotiable."

YES!!! DO IT Bethesda!!!

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you think Bethesda is actually going to withhold the next TES on the PS7 you are very much mistaken!