• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you bought this shit game and end up disappointed you deserve to lose the money. I did.
I really don't understand the type of person who saw all the complaints about the game when it was in beta, saw the review scores, saw the user scores, still bought it, and now wants a refund.

I'm in full support of the refund system Origin and Steam offer, and I wish everybody offered it, but nowhere on the Bethesda launcher do they say you can get a refund.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
I honestly thought people were just hating on another game on the internet and I was a bit biased cause I love fallout. But yeah Fallout 76 is a fucking huge disappointment. Dropped it after two days..

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, Ok. Fallout 76 came out. Its a old big mess. Its brokeness has become a meme and everyone everywhere is giving it a good old kicking.

Now what?

When I think of broken messes its hard not to immediately think back to 2014 and MCC and Assassins Creed Unity.

MCC customers got a free remaster of ODST added in the played the game during the first 3 months. Then got quietly ignored for several years until 343 finally decided to fix the game.

Assassins Creed Unity customers got to pick a free Ubisoft game of a lineup of recent Ubi releases. Ubi where shockingly generous here since you could have gotten Far Cry 4 which was just released in the same holiday season. But ultimately the game was never really "fixed".

Bethsda dont have any recently released games to offer as freebee make goods and their recent releases reached the bargain bin so fast it would probably not look great anyway so I think that Ubisoft option is off the cards.

I am going to assume the just Sean Murray this shot and just ignore and slowly patch but they are a AAA publisher and not a small indie team so I wonder if at some point the audience numbers are so low they just pull support.

Bethesda just dont seem like the kind of publisher that admits fault publicly so I wonder how this is gonna go.

Brokenrobot

Jul 12, 2018
First of all "Warm Regards"is what a hitman says to someone before he shoots them. And to the people saying don't buy obviously broken products not everyone reads videogame forums and follows games pre release. Fallout has a massive fan base and I imagine a lot of people saw there was a new Fallout game and got it because they liked the others.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I was curious and checked out the refund policies for other companies. Apparently Nintendo doesn't allow refunds at all, for any reason, ever. Not even for misclicks. Their support page for accidental purchases reads:

"We are unable to provide refunds or exchanges for mistaken purchases. Please be sure to read the game descriptions and check out the screen shots available through the Nintendo eShop before making purchases."
Is this legal?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I was curious and checked out the refund policies for other companies. Apparently Nintendo doesn't allow refunds at all, for any reason, ever. Not even for misclicks. Their support page for accidental purchases reads:

"We are unable to provide refunds or exchanges for mistaken purchases. Please be sure to read the game descriptions and check out the screen shots available through the Nintendo eShop before making purchases."
Is this legal?

As legal as any EULA is (have they been tested in court yet?). But it isn't totally true. You have one time per account refund you can fall back on just like the other 2.

None of them offer refunds just because you didn't like something.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
In some places there are laws to protect you from stuff like that, in the UK there's distance selling regulations for digital goods, which includes games.

Their response is bullshit, you can't get a refund because you downloaded it? Well you need to download it to try it first you fucking geniuses; it doesn't work for this person; refund them.

Deleted member 13855

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Sucks that Bethesda has ruined all their credibility with F:76.

Plenty of people shit on Fallout 4, and I agree that there were several problems with that game but I still enjoyed it immensely.

76 seems entirely irredeemable. Good luck to Todd and crew for whatever game they release next because you blew all possible hype and goodwill on this trainwreck.

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If you have written proof that they said they'd give you a refund, I'd ask to be forwarded to a supervisor to get it to happen.

Blayde

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
didn't they literally warn everyone the game was going to be buggy as shit? apart from bethesda's track record, i believe they told everyone they were buying a buggy piece of trash.

Joyful

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would imagine that the reason it wasnt on steam to begin with was to avoid refunds and maximize profits
they knew what they were doing 100%

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like people are finally moving past treating bethesda like a silly child and more like a bunch of bullshit.

Dec 11, 2017
India
Their refund policy says
  • If you want to download digital content within the 30-day cancelation period, you must agree to waive your cancelation rights.
Do you think that might be the case?

catvonpee

Oct 29, 2017
Just like my $350 Deluxe Bluetooth pip-boy that is a brick that they refuse to help me with. They kept referring me to Thinkgeek and Thinkgeek kept referring me to Bethesda. I didn't hear a peep out of anybody on their forum either.

The truth is I don't think they really give a fuck. Take the money and run.

Oct 30, 2017
Care to link to such a quote?

That seems like an odd thing for a developer to say, even if true.

They had a letter to the fans setting expectations low.

Then people threw money at them.

It sucks that they back pedaled on the refunds. There's no reason why refunds on games shouldn't exist. Its bullshit. However, I would like to see consumers make smarter decisions when pre ordering or day 1 purchases. There's times when its clear to stay away from a day 1 purchase and wait. For certain games I'm surprised when people are surprised their game doesn't work especially on PC. Anyways, hope they change their minds and allow refunds.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Go ahead and defend this BGS brigade, maybe a group of people need to ask in mass because refunds are " better with friends" too?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. I must have missed that.

To be honest it was actually decent of them to send that out but it seemingly had little effect to temper expectations.
That's an odd take on it. They're basically stating they know their product was broken, but they're releasing it anyway, there.

OP
OP
GameZone

GameZone

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Norway
didn't they literally warn everyone the game was going to be buggy as shit? apart from bethesda's track record, i believe they told everyone they were buying a buggy piece of trash.

That was for the beta. Of course people should have known Bethesda to barely improve the quality of the beta to the actual release.

Edward

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
That was for the beta. Of course people should have known Bethesda to barely improve the quality of the beta to the actual release.
How many of these demos, i mean betas actually change in the 1,2,3 weeks from that demo, i mean beta to launch. You're basically playing the final build. You don't go from beta to final build in a month they are glorified demos.

This isn't how game design works. These demos disguised as beta's are there to work out last minute server issues (like testing bandwidth) and having people try to find out bugs for a later date.

Tmespe

Oct 27, 2017
As legal as any EULA is (have they been tested in court yet?). But it isn't totally true. You have one time per account refund you can fall back on just like the other 2.

None of them offer refunds just because you didn't like something.
Nintendo doesn't even let you cancel a pre-order, going against EU law. Seems they will only bend when they eventually will lose in court. Shit's ridiculous.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
uhhhhh this just sounds like he got a different customer service rep. first rep even says its not possible for refunds (at this time). second rep comes in with the default response.

Arcus Felis

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Well, maybe they will learn from their mistakes and release bug-free games that won't need modders to do the rest of the job.

... Let a man dream.

In all seriousness, they went too far. It was time their actions backfired.

Mcjmetroid

Oct 28, 2017
Limerick, Ireland
Sounds like dodgy process with the refunds.
I'm wondering how anyone actually bought this game though, at least on release.

The writing was very much on the wall that this was going to be terrible. I looked at a video for 15 seconds and was like.. nope.
There was also a beta almost nobody liked from what I've seen here.

I'm not expert on Fallout games but it sounded right from the start that it didn't give fans anything they wanted.

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
That's an odd take on it. They're basically stating they know their product was broken, but they're releasing it anyway, there.

I'm not saying the state of the game is OK, just that they actually did acknowledge prior to launch that there would be issues (some know and some unknown) with the game and that it would essentially be a work in progress. It's almost like this is an Early Access game without officially calling it that.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
People deserve a refund for this busted game. Get out of here with blaming the customer. I understand an appeal to having some awareness of the state of the game, but shifting any blame to the customer just excuses Bethesda.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
"Promised" lol.

No, they said they'd process it later, which they did. And it was declined, as it's against policy.

That's not how I read it.they said they would process the refund.

If they said they would process the request, I'd say you had a point.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Sounds like dodgy process with the refunds.
I'm wondering how anyone actually bought this game though, at least on release.

The writing was very much on the wall that this was going to be terrible. I looked at a video for 15 seconds and was like.. nope.
There was also a beta almost nobody liked from what I've seen here.

I'm not expert on Fallout games but it sounded right from the start that it didn't give fans anything they wanted.
Yup. They gave people every reason to avoid buying this game. From the quick and deep discounts I'm guessing it's not performing as they'd hoped. Hopefully they'll learn that this level of jank is unacceptable for TES6 and Starfield.

BigTnaples

Oct 30, 2017
Eh. This is silly. They can't set that precedent. People abuse systems like that all too often. It's literally why we can't have nice things.

You bought the game, you didn't like it, it's your own fault. Could've waited for reviews, or just suck it up.

Do I get my money back when I don't enjoy a movie? No.