Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I don't follow MCU productions closely, so I don't know who ends up in what. That's not the point. The point is you have a series of useless scenes (which you agree with) that drag the movie down, and this being the MCU the only reason they probably aren't cut is because these characters will show up somewhere else and they need to be in place A or B or whatever, and because the MCU seems to be increasingly hung-up on selling the illusion it's all one big story. So yeah, it's a set-up to be payed off down the line (hopefully, or it would even be more redundant)

The reason Ross and Val are in the movie besides being the obligatory white characters is because Ross was in the first one, he's an established ally of Wakanda, and he can serve the plot by providing inside-the-govt exposition to the rest of the cast. Val is there as a foil for him. I don't think it has anything to do with setting up future projects because nothing is even obliquely alluded to.

You said you assume these scenes exist must to set up another project and would've otherwise been cut because they served no big purpose here, but maybe the latter is exactly the reason why they're there... the filmmakers just misjudged how important they are to have! It's not like Ross is a necessary character in the first place, he served no meaningful role in the first movie and could've easily been cut out of that one too. And his presence in that movie didn't set up any future project because he never appeared again until this one.

Hey maybe I'll eat crow next summer when Thunderbolts comes out and it turns out its plot really hinges on Val's road trip with Ross in this movie. But imo this subplot has less to do with advertising a future movie that it doesn't actually advertise, and more to do with the writers just padding out the film with ultimately useless exposition. Wouldn't be the first movie to commit that sin.

The movie may have looked better in theaters, but the dark scenes looked like shit on my TV (a combination of not having the latest state of the art TV and streaming compression I'm sure). And the constant jumping back and forth in aspect ratio at the end certainly felt like a weird artistic choice.
I haven't watched it at home yet but it was very dim in theaters too. I thought it may have just been my theater's old ass liemax screen but sounds like that's just how the movie looks. Coogler used a different DP for this movie which may be a reason. Though the first movie's opening action sequence, which was also shot in the dark, looked like shit too so maybe Coogler is just bad at shooting action in the dark or something.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
The World
Saw this on Saturday, it just felt weird.

I did not understand the reason for the college scientist plot, seemed like she was there as a way for Shuri to reach the water civilization leading to the change of heart at the end?

The movie started with some interesting global politics thing which goes nowhere really.

Shuri suddenly becomes BP out of nowhere. Her change of heart comes out of nowhere.

Where did she airship that brought Shuri and Namor to the ship come from since he actually destroyed them during the fight?

Marvel's middling run continues.

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
I avoided seeing this in theaters because all the positive praise only mentioned how emotional it was, so I decided to wait till it came out on digital.

Kinda shocked I liked it as much as I did.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Saw half of the movie so far

I like it except for a few plot points

The college student scientist just seemed so forced like they didn't know where to put the character in so they put the character in this movie

Kinda felt like would have been better if the character had its own show like Ms marvel

Namor seems okay. The moments with the Queen, general and shuri are okay.

I just enjoyed the first BP movie way more but I suppose this is better than most of the current phase movies

Shang Chi still the best one so far

Let's see how antman is next month….not having high expectations for it considering Thor 4 and Wanda….I mean dr strange 2 were awful….

Oct 28, 2017
Watching this movie made me feel better about myself and to be completely honest in already feel pretty good about me. The black/brown excellence on display is a dopamine hit that I have never had watching movies. This actually brought me back to the MCU after being meh on it.

n0stalghia

Banned
Jan 26, 2023
Austria
Liked the first half, up until a certain party made a hasty retreat from a certain city. After that point, logic was tossed out the window in order to have the obligatory Marvel movie fight. Only given Namor's and Shuri's characters, the fight was utterly pointless...

Disappointed by it. Really wanted to like it since I liked the majority of Phase 4 stuff, but this was just too nonsensical for me.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Got halfway through and we just completely lost interest and turned it off with no intent on going back. It's not bad like Love & Thunder, but it just did nothing for us. For me it just simply exists as an OK/mid movie that I'll never go back to, like Eternals. Glad we didn't waste money and time going to theaters for this.

Last edited:

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Saw half of the movie so far

I like it except for a few plot points

The college student scientist just seemed so forced like they didn't know where to put the character in so they put the character in this movie

Kinda felt like would have been better if the character had its own show like Ms marvel
Uh..... the character is getting one during this phase lmao

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching halfway through because I found it boring. The Queen and Namor were the best parts.

z e r t

Oct 27, 2017
well I guess this is it. I finally have superhero fatigue I guess cause this didn't do anything for me. I thought it looked ugly as fuck and was way too long for me. The last MCU movie I really enjoyed was Spider-Man: No Way Home.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
The comments about this movie being ugly and too dark are pretty funny to me, even while I can see where both positions are coming from. The CG stuff in this movie is just terrible. I don't know if it's the worst because let's face it, there's been a lot of bad CG in these movies, but my recency bias tells me it's the worst and most jarringly bad implementation of all the MCU movies. That said, I also think the movie is...kind of beautiful, otherwise? There are multiple scenes that just had me marveling at my screen. But for (again) the terrible CG, I think it's a rather beautifully shot film.

As for the darkness, I feel about this movie the same way I felt when people were complaining about The Batman being too dark. I get it. You shouldn't have to go out and drop a couple of grand on a nice OLED set to deal with shit like that. At the same time, those scenes are fucking beautiful on a large OLED screen. So while I put it on Coogler and team in one sense, I also appreciate and respect that they made the film the way they wanted to make it and basically said fuck your budget/affordable home screens.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
As for the darkness, I feel about this movie the same way I felt when people were complaining about The Batman being too dark. I get it. You shouldn't have to go out and drop a couple of grand on a nice OLED set to deal with shit like that. At the same time, those scenes are fucking beautiful on a large OLED screen. So while I put it on Coogler and team in one sense, I also appreciate and respect that they made the film the way they wanted to make it and basically said fuck your budget/affordable home screens.

There are people in here who said it looked like shit in the theaters too, might just be the movie.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
I loved the firts black panther, i really like marvel usually, even phase 4 apart from love and thunder. This was pretty meh.
I really liked the sad parts about T'Challa and M'Baku was awesome, apart from that it was not really interesting.
I was really waiting fron Namor to be as awesome as people that read comics talked about him, and he just feels here like a wet fart. Dont knlw how similar or dissimilar is to the original character though. Talocan empire was also meh.

Shuri getting the mantle, while i supposed that was gonna happen, i just was waiting for some twist to give it to Nakia, i also enjoyed her in the movie.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The comments about this movie being ugly and too dark are pretty funny to me, even while I can see where both positions are coming from. The CG stuff in this movie is just terrible. I don't know if it's the worst because let's face it, there's been a lot of bad CG in these movies, but my recency bias tells me it's the worst and most jarringly bad implementation of all the MCU movies. That said, I also think the movie is...kind of beautiful, otherwise? There are multiple scenes that just had me marveling at my screen. But for (again) the terrible CG, I think it's a rather beautifully shot film.

I rewatches the Talokan scene on my screen and it was definitely much better than it was in the cinema I watched in. My TV probably isn't considered high end (doesn't even support Dolby Vision) My go to cinema tends to keep the brightness too low and it was especially brutal when it came to The Batman. Still need to watch that movie again at home.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that the film was pretty mediocre at best.

Some collated thoughts:

- The scale of the film felt very off at times, perhaps as a by-product of filming during COVID. I think this was most noticeable at the beginning, when the funeral procession for T'Challa felt like it took place in a single street, and also at the UN meeting which looked like it took place in an incredibly small, shabby meeting room (although that may actually be quite realistic)!
- It felt very weird to have the central characters of a supposedly near-utopia be monarchs, but I guess that is not specific to this film.
- I thought Namor's motivations made absolutely no sense. Does he really want to try to wage war on a population of about ~7 billion people in an environment which his people can't even naturally breathe in?
- I also thought the world-building of the Atlantans felt very ill-defined and nonsensical, even by MCU standards. How do these people cook, dye their clothes and poop? How many of them are there? How did Ramonda contact Namor to arrange meeting on a beach? Their central city seems sufficiently secluded that humans can only get there via a magical vortex thing-y in a diving suit, so why is Namor worried about being attacked?

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Feels like the tide has turned on this movie quite a bit since it hit streaming, not to say it was a majorly acclaimed MCU movie upon original release. My partner missed it in the cinema, watched it last night and thought it was boring.

Senteevs

Oct 28, 2017
Latvia
I agree about the darkness and would argue that this is a Disney+ bug, since I've had the same for some other shows, for example, She-Hulk.
Also, the CGI. The Black Panther movies have the worst CGI in the MCU. Not all the way through, but some "effects" just seemed jarringly bad.

Oct 30, 2022
London
Saw the movie twice in the cinema. Watched it last night and it was quite dark. I don't remember it being like that in the cinema. I have a 75" LG 4K HDR. Came into here and see others expressing the same sentiment.

Wonder what happened

Oct 30, 2022
London
I thought that the film was pretty mediocre at best.

- I also thought the world-building of the Atlantans felt very ill-defined and nonsensical, even by MCU standards. How do these people cook, dye their clothes and poop? How many of them are there? How did Ramonda contact Namor to arrange meeting on a beach? Their central city seems sufficiently secluded that humans can only get there via a magical vortex thing-y in a diving suit, so why is Namor worried about being attacked?

Thought the same last night. What about sex? Water dries out the vagina 🙈

Gawge

Oct 27, 2017
Quite enjoyed the first half. Really liked the Namor stuff.

Felt it started dragging a bit into the second half, especially after Ramonda dies.

LV-0504

Oct 6, 2022
Just watched it, why does every fucking movie these days need to be almost 3 hours long?

This would have been far better if they shaved off 40 mins, I would have started by removing that Iron Man knock off. She was all important for the first 30 mins and then just drops out of the plot.

Saw the movie twice in the cinema. Watched it last night and it was quite dark. I don't remember it being like that in the cinema. I have a 75" LG 4K HDR. Came into here and see others expressing the same sentiment.

Wonder what happened
I said the exact same thing to my friend as we watched it, reminded me of Solo.

I agree about the darkness and would argue that this is a Disney+ bug, since I've had the same for some other shows, for example, She-Hulk.
Also, the CGI. The Black Panther movies have the worst CGI in the MCU. Not all the way through, but some "effects" just seemed jarringly bad.
Its not a Disney + issue, I found it very dark on 4K Blu-ray. It was obviously an issue when they mastered it for the home release.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Some of these questions definitely don't need to be answered, but I do agree that Talokan suffers from the same issue that for example Atlantis from Aquaman suffered from to some level.

Instead of asking "Okay, but how would an underwater society function?" they just went "It's like regular civilization, but underwater". IIRC at some point in the scene where they first enter Talokan, you see people playing a ball game, which just simply wouldn't be possible underwater. And sure, I'm sure somewhere there's a MCU bible that says "Actually, that ball is made from a special Talokan fabric so it behaves like a normal ball underwater", but that is a very unimaginative explanation.

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
Some of these questions definitely don't need to be answered, but I do agree that Talokan suffers from the same issue that for example Atlantis from Aquaman suffered from to some level.

Instead of asking "Okay, but how would an underwater society function?" they just went "It's like regular civilization, but underwater". IIRC at some point in the scene where they first enter Talokan, you see people playing a ball game, which just simply wouldn't be possible underwater. And sure, I'm sure somewhere there's a MCU bible that says "Actually, that ball is made from a special Talokan fabric so it behaves like a normal ball underwater", but that is a very unimaginative explanation.

I mean, they quite blatantly inform you they live an amphibious life both within the water and without. Were you guys just not paying attention? 🤣

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a bit uneven but quite fun. I liked the first one better because it just felt more focused, but having a great antagonist with Namor was great, Killmonger was my biggest issue with the first film.

The good
- Powerful performance by Angela Bassett
- Good way of handling the loss of Chadwick, the characters responses felt genuine
- They nailed Namor, what an interesting character and a huge step up from Killmonger
- They did a great job at introducing Talokan and the origins of it's people, it was something different by MCU standards
- Good fun banter between the characters, the jokes landed more often than not
- More M'Baku please, his scenes were great fun

The bad
- Some scenes were way too dark to see anything, GoT would be proud
- Letitia Wright just isn't a compelling lead actor for this movie
- The scientist plot just wasn't any good and I felt like the character didn't do much other than being a plot macguffin for Namor
- Way too long, large parts of the US focused stuff with Martin Freeman felt totally unnecessary and might as well have been removed entirely
- Felt somewhat disconnected from the MCU, like if there is a force threatening the world then why not attempt to get support from some of King T'Challa's superhero friends that literally defended Wakanda a few years back?

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they quite blatantly inform you they live an amphibious life both within the water and without. Were you guys just not paying attention? 🤣

But amphibians can breathe air through their lungs...

I'm really not quite sure what the narrative purpose of making the Atlanteans unable to breathe oxygen even was. It seems like something that could have been discarded without substantially changing the structure of the film.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
- Felt somewhat disconnected from the MCU, like if there is a force threatening the world then why not attempt to get support from some of King T'Challa's superhero friends that literally defended Wakanda a few years back?

By "force" do you mean Namor's people or other states wanting to raid Wakanda for vibranium?

Flavius

Oct 28, 2017
Orlando, FL
But amphibians can breathe air through their lungs...

I'm really not quite sure what the narrative purpose of making the Atlanteans unable to breathe oxygen even was. It seems like something that could have been discarded without substantially changing the structure of the film.

They required a means of moving the on ground civilization deep beneath the ocean depths. It's a Marvel movie. It isn't that…deep.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
They required a means of moving the on ground civilization deep beneath the ocean depths. It's a Marvel movie. It isn't that…deep.

The motivation is that you have a murderous, colonising empire arriving on their shores. The ability to survive long enough in the water to reach some underground caves or something would suffice IMO without any other complications.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Marvel movies in the last couple years feel like they've become direct-to-video movies with a higher budget. Nothing offensively bad but nothing particularly good either. At least the memorial sequence was well done

acheron_xl

Oct 27, 2017
MSN, WI
Watched it yesterday finally. I don't think it's the worst phase 4 movie, but it's definitely the one I was the most disappointed with.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
This was entertaining but a few things felt kind of glossed over or maybe something I missed like:

* Battle on the bridge. The Talokans were stabbed but still got up making them seem immortal but later on some die in that cave
* The whole wetness being the source of strength. Ok I get that they needed something but this kind of seemed too convenient or lazy
* Did they really need to kill the scientist? The US govt clearly already had the machine so they could in theory replicate it
* What was somewhat unclear to me was the last Talokan dialogue. Was Namor suggesting they might still go against the Wakandans later on?
* That big machine underwater. It seemed technologically advanced but the rest of the city didn't seem as much? Ok Wakanda also had it's simpler villages

Otherwise I think it was still pretty good overall and better than other phase 4 content so far. This is worth a rewatch definitely

Last edited:

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Some more thoughts.

I'm confused about as to why some of Namor's people were blue while others weren't. Are the blues made via the flower and the non-blues are the mutants? Blues aren't amphibs but the non blues are? Also does getting stabbed/impaled not kill you, but getting a sonic blast does?
And since the beads were bugged that means the US gov now knows of an Namor and his peeps right? Or did Bilbo not speak of this to the Queen?

Speaking of Namor.

Did we really need a name origin side story in there? Reminded me of Solo