Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
Some more thoughts.

I'm confused about as to why some of Namor's people were blue while others weren't. Are the blues made via the flower and the non-blues are the mutants? Blues aren't amphibs but the non blues are? Also does getting stabbed/impaled not kill you, but getting a sonic blast does?
And since the beads were bugged that means the US gov now knows of an Namor and his peeps right? Or did Bilbo not speak of this to the Queen?

The Talokanil only become blue when they are on the surface. Notice that when they are underwater they have a normal skin tone.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Some more thoughts.

I'm confused about as to why some of Namor's people were blue while others weren't. Are the blues made via the flower and the non-blues are the mutants? Blues aren't amphibs but the non blues are? Also does getting stabbed/impaled not kill you, but getting a sonic blast does?
And since the beads were bugged that means the US gov now knows of an Namor and his peeps right? Or did Bilbo not speak of this to the Queen?

Speaking of Namor.

Did we really need a name origin side story in there? Reminded me of Solo

They turn blue outside of water because their skin deoxidizes
And that scene wasn't really an origin for his name but his entire motivation to protect his people and shun the surface world

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Managed to rewatch the movie this weekend. Absolutely intense movie. The first siren call scene is absolutely chilling. Someone read Namor the Depths and I thank them personally

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Namor, at a certain point he litterally spells out he wants to destroy everyone starting with Wakanda, they should be a little alarmed lol

Ah, well I think that outside help wasn't really an option due to Namor's threat. Didn't he say something like "I will drown Wakanda off the face of the earth" if anyone found out about Talokan's existence?

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Once you kill the inventor of something it becomes impossible for the thing they've created to be replicated or copied.

Maybe, if the inventor has taken steps to include some sort of kill switch or autodestruct sequence or the task is simply too difficult without them. Something similar already happened with Pym, it took decades until Darren Cross managed to recreate Hank's formula.

BarcaTheGreat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe, if the inventor has taken steps to include some sort of kill switch or autodestruct sequence or the task is simply too difficult without them. Something similar already happened with Pym, it took decades until Darren Cross managed to recreate Hank's formula.
She did it for a school project. Unlikely there's a self-destructe in it.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
I will summarise my thoughts in bullet-point format:

• The core cast was fantastic. Despite misgivings about Letitia she is a strong actress and I thought they did well thrusting her into the lead with the hand they were dealt (even though I personally still would have preferred a T'Challa recast). Angela Bassett was fucking owning the screen and had such a sense of dignity and regal-ness around her, Lupita and Dania were excellent and I really love Winston Duke as M'Baku; he's got so much energy and he's really fun in the role. I would have preferred the end of the film to be these four all becoming the Black Panthers and being the protectors of Wakanda together, but that doesn't matter.
  • The plot was fine, I guess. Namor was an interesting foil for Shuri and Talokan was interesting. I loved the art and designs, even though in a lot of scenes something looked off and I got the feeling they were just standing in front of green screens (albeit nowhere near as obvious as with Thor: L&T). It's a much better looking movie than the first though and I loved how it explored grief and the music was amazing. The action was fine but honestly I probably preferred it for the character development and dialogue than the action scenes.
  • I didn't really care for the Martin Freeman sub-plot. It didn't really matter overall and he only existed to give a bit of context on Riri, which they could have managed in several different ways. I suppose it's mostly giving a bit more exposure for Julia-Louise Dreyfus, but this worldbuilding for future movies felt quite clunky I thought.
  • I'm not sure I like idea that they've got T'Challa 2 ready to go in about 15 years when he's grown up (or sooner if they do a time-skip, or some kind of "he's aging fast because vibranium/heart-shaped herb/his father's DNA or something!" I suppose they're just preparing for the future, but if they're going to make Shuri the lead then make her the lead and give her a bit of time to breath and grow in the role; don't immediately undermine her tenure as the title character by promising that T'Challa Jr. will be the real next Black Panther if we can just wait for him to grow up. That being said, in terms of character development it was nice for Shuri to still have some direct family and I thought Letitia acted the shit out of this scene.
  • I really liked how when Shuri went to the astral plane or whatever it's called, she saw her uncle instead of someone she expected. I thought that was an excellent bit of character development for her and a great use of MBJ. I expected her to see her mother so I was very surprised when it was him!

It was pretty good, although I don't see myself watching it again any time soon. As far as Phase 4 goes, from what I have seen I would rank it:

Spider-Man: NWH (this is kind of cheating as no other film can have the 20 years of unintentional build-up that this had!)
>>
She-Hulk (very fun)
>>
Doctor Strange: MOM (mostly good, I liked the horror elements) = Black Panther: WF (so-so on the story but I liked the character moments)
>
Shang-Chi (first half is excellent but then they really lost me in the goopy CGI fest in the second half)
>
WandaVision (80% great but the ending fell really flat for me)
>
Guardians Holiday Special (it was fine)
>
The Falcon & the Winter Soldier (there's an excellent 3/4 episode mini-series here if they just focused on Sam, Bucky, Walker and Isaiah. For me none of the stuff about the Flag Smashers, Power Broker or Zemo worked)
>>
Black Widow (I loved her family unit, but that was it. She is pretty dull, I think Ray Winstone is awful here and the plot was nothing with lots more distracting obvious CGI and bad green-screen)
>
Thor: Love & Thunder (what a letdown after the previous film being one of the best in the MCU. I didn't like the humour, everything looked disgusting and artificial and there was so little time for character growth and development. There's the bones of something good here but it all feels so rushed)
>
Eternals (I'm not sure what film I like least out of this & Thor, but this was so boring and I would rather watch Thor again so that probably settles it. I like the idea of the Eternals rebelling against their purpose because they form a bond with humanity, but despite a fantastic cast nothing else about this film worked for me)

I've watched some of Loki which seemed fine, I've watched two episodes of Ms. Marvel which seemed fun and I love Iman Vellani, but the villains seemed extremely dull which kind of put me off watching any more. I'll probably finish Loki at some point so I get to see Jonathan Majors as Kang.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
Having seen the movie on Disney+, I just want to say I really liked the ancestral plane scene where Shuri saw her uncle instead of her parents or brother. Killmonger got one last jab at his Uncle by pointing out that T'chaka would have just killed the scientist to keep Wakanda safe.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Wild movie and probably the best Marvel movie since Infinity War (still didn't watch Spiderman 3 yet). Very unique and not a stupid forced joke every 30 seconds. Something I've been missing from all the recent Marvel movies and shows. Way less formularic. Some wild action scenes and awesome suit designs. Those Night Angel suits looked absolutely sick. Fantastic soundtrack. The story worked for what it was as long as you don't think too much about it. The whole "well, ACTUALLY there is a second secret super power on earth and it's made of blue Mayans that live underwater" is something only comic books can get away with. Also, at no point in the whole movie any of the two nations felt dangerous. Apparently you can just go into Wakanda with a few singing mermaids and water bombs that don't even kill people and it makes them evacuate the whole city? Lol. Whales tossing water bomb nets is like the nuclear option of the Mayans and Wakanda has like 3 Ornithopters Airforce that can be shred with a spear. Also, everyone is Ironman now. Still, the action was beautifully shot and choreographed, well better than most other recent Marvel movies. The CGI still is a problem with how uneven it can get but it was at least a big step above Thor 4. Wow, Thor 4 was such a bad movie. Shit.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Finally watched it on Disney+. I loved the first Black Panther, so I loaded up on chips and drinks and, oh boy. Thought it was terrible. Like pre-X-Men levels of comic book movie filled with nonsensical plot, technobabble and awfully choreographed men and women in tights larping. I kept hoping Marvel would lose the quips, but throughout the movie I wished the quips were still here.
But maybe it's just me, because I thought Eternals was the best movie in phase 4.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished watching this with the family. It bounced right off of us. Too long, too dark, and too slow. Namor was amazing and hands down the best part of the movie for me. My wife's favorite part was the opening scene with the funeral because she loves the costumes and seeing the street life. No one liked Iron Heart. She is the second character in the MCU that felt "tacked on" to me, the first being Skaar in She-Hulk lol. We'll see if her show can turn her into something more interesting than just another iron man. They've done a good job fleshing out kate bishop and yelena, who are both also clones of older characters, so I have hope.

Best part for me was the shared trauma montage, which was the most important and well done part of the movie. Between that and a few legit surprises that I cannot even believe I never got spoiled, it elevated the movie a lot for me.

My youngest was ruthless. She said that watching this after Avatar WoW didn't do the movie any favors and she was wishing she was watching that again instead. I was like, damn that's so cold. I mean, itwasn't like a terrible movie by any stretch. Probably 2.5 stars for me. Wife gave it 2, oldest daughter (15) gave it an 3, and my youngest daughter (14) said "1 star at best".

My kids love M'baku and think he needs his own show/movie or at the very least to show up in other parts of the MCU. They want to see him interact with other heroes. I never really thought about it before but they're right, that would be pretty cool. He's a cool character who looks intimidating but has both heart and wisdom, but still loves to fight. That's a great combo for a hero!

Oh yeah the armor outfits were universally terrible. Huge Power Ranger vibes.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
movie was good at points, dealing with grief and pain, but overall just dragged on for too long. and i like long movies. i like dark serious takes on comic book stories, so if i felt it dragged, it was because it didn't work for me.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Just finished this and unfortunately it's another disappointing entry from Marvel for me.

First the positives: The cast did a fine job and Namor was a fine villain. The film handled the passing of its hero gracefully without resorting to tacky CGI recreations. The tone was consistently quite serious and it film avoided the jarring tone changes of some of the recent MCU films (Thor 4, The Eternals).

Unfortunately the list of negatives is longer: There were just too many characters and plot elements in the film. Why were Martin Freeman and Julia Louis Dreyfus in this film? Introducing Ironheart felt like a contractual obligation. In general, the film felt bloated and lacked structure.

The cinematography and effects felt really shoddy in places and what was up with that depth of field in some of the shots.

Overall, it was more mediocre than bad, about on par with Shang-Chi and Black Widow. For some reason, all this year's MCU films feel uncharacteristically shoddy for Disney. Like they could have benefited from more post-production time and maybe some reshoots.

My youngest was ruthless. She said that watching this after Avatar WoW didn't do the movie any favors and she was wishing she was watching that again instead. I was like, damn that's so cold.
I agree with your youngest to a degree. I didn't even like Avatar 2 that much but I just couldn't help but to compare the final set piece on the ocean to the final battle in Avatar 2 (both even feature an oceanic tribe of whale-riding blue people). Wakanda Forever doesn't fare too well in this comparison.

Nov 7, 2017
Question: would you want Ryan Coogler to take a crack at BP3 or do yall think it needs another director/writer not as close to the tragic loss of Boseman (and for those that didn't like the movie do you think another director would make a better third movie in terms of cutting out the bloat and getting better action set pieces)?

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
IMO this is the 2nd best Phase 4 MCU movie.

Yeah it was quite long and some parts needed refinements but overall I enjoyed it and love it's tone compared to many other MCU movies.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Question: would you want Ryan Coogler to take a crack at BP3 or do yall think it needs another director/writer not as close to the tragic loss of Boseman (and for those that didn't like the movie do you think another director would make a better third movie in terms of cutting out the bloat and getting better action set pieces)?

BP is Coogler's thing

GifGafJef

Dec 19, 2022
Just finished this and unfortunately it's another disappointing entry from Marvel for me.

First the positives: The cast did a fine job and Namor was a fine villain. The film handled the passing of its hero gracefully without resorting to tacky CGI recreations. The tone was consistently quite serious and it film avoided the jarring tone changes of some of the recent MCU films (Thor 4, The Eternals).

Unfortunately the list of negatives is longer: There were just too many characters and plot elements in the film. Why were Martin Freeman and Julia Louis Dreyfus in this film? Introducing Ironheart felt like a contractual obligation. In general, the film felt bloated and lacked structure.

The cinematography and effects felt really shoddy in places and what was up with that depth of field in some of the shots.

Overall, it was more mediocre than bad, about on par with Shang-Chi and Black Widow. For some reason, all this year's MCU films feel uncharacteristically shoddy for Disney. Like they could have benefited from more post-production time and maybe some reshoots.

I agree with your youngest to a degree. I didn't even like Avatar 2 that much but I just couldn't help but to compare the final set piece on the ocean to the final battle in Avatar 2 (both even feature an oceanic tribe of whale-riding blue people). Wakanda Forever doesn't fare too well in this comparison.

The final set piece on reflection without theatre blinders was very disappointing in BP2 yea. feel like they should have done that better for sure.Like I did like the talokan worldbuidling even if they kind of imo botched having it be so advanced. Should have done that better and not nerfed wakanda. Like it really did feel like they could have wiped out Wakanda but somehow it wasn't portrayed well and also at the same time came at the expense of wakanda

For your point about the CIA folks, iron heart I definitely agree but it does seem to have been a contract/fiege ask iirc .Coogler is producing the iron heart tv show last I checked. Not too interested in her tbh but should be a fun show maybe.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it. Shang Chi is still my favorite Phase 4 movie but this was second for sure. I liked the plot but the action was a let down. They also can't be leaving in green screen shots that look exceptionally bad because it does take you out of the movie momentarily.

BTM

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got around to watching it before going to Antman, and it was…ok. Just middle of the road for me but that's been par for the course with marvel flicks lately. I'll still keep watching them but a little of the magic is gone

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it today for the first and only time and I really loved it. Namor was amazing, his people were cool and his city was beautiful. I can't wait to see more Namor.