Status
Not open for further replies.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Well intentioned but they just missed the mark. "Blacks" (plural) has racist connotations imo (like signs that used to say Whites/Blacks only).
"The blacks" has racist connotations. Using "blacks" as a plural noun means literally the same thing as using "whites" or "Asians". As mentioned before, "blacks" as a plural noun referring to black people is used in peer reviewed scientific literature alongside "Whites", "Hispanics", and so on. It saves time compared to writing "people of African descent" over and over again.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
it's just a tweet that could have worded a bit differently.

Blacks at Xbox doesn't sound great, but I think it's because the word's history is so loaded.

Latin@/Latinx at Xbox sounds fine though.

Kyry

Oct 27, 2017
No problem here. In fact I much rather be called Black than African American, to the extent that Ive started correcting people when they say it.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
I mean when used by black people of course. Like here Blacks at Xbox is used as a self-identifaction by a group of black people. But then there's people who find it offensive or problematic. From my understanding n-word is in similar situation. People may refer to themselves or to other people with the word, while some people see it as degrading even when coming from a black person. Didn't mean to imply similar history and/or severity for the words.

Obviously I refrain from using either of them as I'm not a black person.

Last edited:

TheSantry

Dec 25, 2017
I know they are backpedaling now and it's not the worst thing that could have been posted; but I'm pretty sure MS's PR people wish they didn't post this now.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
So it's similar to the N-word? Some black people use it, while some wish it would just go away entirely and not be uttered by any black people either.

Edit: Don't mean to imply that there's similar baggage and history to these words and that they would be equally offensive and hurtful.
Think of it like this: black people often have to deal with labels they had no say in choosing. And even when they do choose to self apply these labels, they are still turned into epithets. Hence mixed feelings.

Deleted member 4093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is way to long for a catch phrase.
Not working. Especially not working in tandem with the Women of/in Xbox and some other groups.
But what about the non-binaries?

The reality is picking a name that's going to make EVERYONE happy is a tall order, and probably not feasible when it comes to a situation like this where you're identifying a specific minority group by what makes them part of that group.

The best name would probably be one that didn't refer to them by what makes them part of said group.
I mean we can work around it but "blacks" aint the answer imo. Thats all. We can find a way, people shouldnt talk like its impossible.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Pretty bad phrasing. "blacks" always makes me wince a bit when I hear. It's like saying "the gays" or "the Jews".

But "The Jews" and "The Gays" is different than "Jews" or "Gays."

This tweet doesn't say "The Blacks"

I mean personally I say Black People instead of "Blacks" because I know some find that offensive, but I'm not gonna look twice at a black run organization that wants to call itself that.

Oct 27, 2017
Black vs. Blacks

People who can't grasps why the dehumanizing nature of "the blacks" irks us black folk are truly something else.

But sure, we're just 'itching' to be outraged and shit.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black has always worked for me. Never liked African American personally.

I get that, but I dont like Blacks without anything after it. Like there is no way to talk about this group without sounding like a racist. "I heard that The Blacks at Xbox did yadda yadda"

like to be honest I dont really care if the people who named and run this organization is black, they simply didn't think this through period.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
But who is actually upset?

Feels like white peoples are upset on behalf of black people , who in turn aren't upset at all, because they created it.
To be fair there's something to say about white people swooping in to these threads to fingerwag at said folks and act like there's nothing to talk about. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Order

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is just non black people telling us how to feel huh

If someone refers to me as the "the blacks" I'm fucking fighting

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
That's the joke, beloved.
5f9.gif

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who was on an affinity board and knows many of the folks building these groups at a few companies this one included, it's not about making a homogenous group and saying yay affinity. It's about giving power to folks to not only own and represent their culture but recruit specifically to their culture and people and grow diversity at the companies. Don't worry, we all get together to put our multiorg events, but this is done so we're not lost in the sea of 'everyone is diverse' and 'all lives matter'
That's fair and I'm sure the actual activities and events are well handled. But its very clear to me that at the outset a black person(s) had to tell or submit this to a panel of white people to get this group founded and took the path of least resistance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
"The blacks" has racist connotations. Using "blacks" as a plural noun means literally the same thing as using "whites" or "Asians". As mentioned before, "blacks" as a plural noun referring to black people is used in peer reviewed scientific literature alongside "Whites", "Hispanics", and so on. It saves time compared to writing "people of African descent" over and over again.

I think I speak for most people when I say I don't read peer reviewed scientific literature.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This thread is just non black people telling us how to feel huh
"See?! Black people aren't offended!"

"Uhm, I mean, I'm not outraged but I'm not keen on the name--"

"White people are always getting offended on other's behalf!"

"Are...are you listening to me?"

JINX

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's poorly worded, it's meant to be "Our (insert group) community." Not "Our blacks..", but thats a good response from the comms manager. MS shouldn't just immediately react by taking down the tweet, ask the group if they want to take it down or clarify it in a second tweet.

Last edited:

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Not really that offensive, at least as a black dude here. African American vs Black is really fuckin' white folk up, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.