• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
So I missed the first beta and decided to try out the EU open beta. Is Ruby/Es the early team EZ mode? The four/five people I managed to get who also had good NA connections all played the two, and had high damage combos that seemed really consistent and easy to do. Between that, the decent hitboxes on normals and the zoning, at a glance that seems like the go-to for early effectiveness. Is that accurate?

Game honestly feels kind of terrible to me so far. Might be the characters I've tried so far. The system mechanics and meters in the game are easy to use and understand, especially for an ASW game, but I dunno. Neutral and footsies seem really unintuitive with only a few buttons to work with. Again though, I was playing Waldstein and Azrael mostly so that might be a big reason. Waldstein doesn't have anything resembling mobility and Azrael's 236A being punishable on block makes me have to completely rethink how he plays. The people I played also probably played the first beta too so I was dealing with a climb and no training mode to help ease it. I already paid for it so I'll give it an honest shot, but it seems like something I appreciate much more as a viewer than as a player right now. Maybe it'll be better when Kanji and Labrys are here and no doubt as terrible as they are in their base game. >_>

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
So I missed the first beta and decided to try out the EU open beta. Is Ruby/Es the early team EZ mode? The four/five people I managed to get who also had good NA connections all played the two, and had high damage combos that seemed really consistent and easy to do. Between that, the decent hitboxes on normals and the zoning, at a glance that seems like the go-to for early effectiveness. Is that accurate?

Game honestly feels kind of terrible to me so far. Might be the characters I've tried so far. The system mechanics and meters in the game are easy to use and understand, especially for an ASW game, but I dunno. Neutral and footsies seem really unintuitive with only a few buttons to work with. Again though, I was playing Waldstein and Azrael mostly so that might be a big reason. Waldstein doesn't have anything resembling mobility and Azrael's 236A being punishable on block makes me have to completely rethink how he plays. The people I played also probably played the first beta too so I was dealing with a climb and no training mode to help ease it. I already paid for it so I'll give it an honest shot, but it seems like something I appreciate much more as a viewer than as a player right now. Maybe it'll be better when Kanji and Labrys are here and no doubt as terrible as they are in their base game. >_>

At least for me, it took a looooot or getting used to, especially the Blazblue characters and even some Persona characters. It does indeed feel weird as fuck having only two attack buttons and some characters feel like they have trouble getting in because of how gimped they are like Hazama. I got a better feel for it while playing Tactics mode for a couple of hours. Still, it feels very simple. Maybe too simple. And yeah Ruby is EZ mode. So is Gordeau.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Waldstein is one of the most dominant in bbtag.

I dunno what to tell you if you're fucking up with him on your team.

Oct 28, 2017

I dunno what to tell you if you're fucking up with him on your team.

Nowhere did I mention my w/l record in my post. I said the game didn't feel good at all, which it doesn't to me yet. If I have to have some set win % to have an opinion on the game, I won about half of my matches. I've been playing every single game featured in Cross Tag for almost a decade now lol. I'm not one to cry because I can't hit panic grabs or because I have to actually time a wall bounce combo depending on height.

To call anyone dominant during pre-release is redundant anyways. Anyone who saw early DBFZ footage and saw Piccolo and 18 dominating can attest to that.

At least for me, it took a looooot or getting used to, especially the Blazblue characters and even some Persona characters.

Yeah one of the reasons I was even trying Waldstein to begin with is because I didn't play him in UNIEL so I wouldn't have to unlearn anything. The BB characters I've played, including Azrael, feel very different compared to their mainline series. I do appreciate that people play differently because, the way this game's systems are so radically different, a lot of characters wouldn't have survived a cut and paste job. It's just going to be a rougher transition for some than others. Hopefully Team Blue is more on point and fast paced with tweaks here than Team Red has been for FighterZ.

Last edited:

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Nowhere did I mention my w/l record in my post. I said the game didn't feel good at all, which it doesn't to me yet. If I have to have some set win % to have an opinion on the game, I won about half of my matches. I've been playing every single game featured in Cross Tag for almost a decade now lol. I'm not one to cry because I can't hit panic grabs or because I have to actually time a wall bounce combo depending on height.

To call anyone dominant during pre-release is redundant anyways. Anyone who saw early DBFZ footage and saw Piccolo and 18 dominating can attest to that.

Yeah one of the reasons I was even trying Waldstein to begin with is because I didn't play him in UNIEL so I wouldn't have to unlearn anything. The BB characters I've played, including Azrael, feel very different compared to their mainline series. I do appreciate that people play differently because, the way this game's systems are so radically different, a lot of characters wouldn't have survived a cut and paste job. It's just going to be a rougher transition for some than others. Hopefully Team Blue is more on point and fast paced with tweaks here than Team Red has been for FighterZ.

I wasn't talking bouy win %, well not entirely. I was talking about having issue with neutral game with one of the best utilizers of it in the early game.

Only ones I can think of who're just better in neutral than wald are Ruby and Gordeau. So it just sounds odd to have issues with neutral game with such neutral dominant character.

DVCY201

Oct 25, 2017
I tried it out on Switch, and I wasn't expecting it to play like this at all. I'm all for accessibility, and this will be great for my friends who aren't good at fighting games, but I think they've stripped out a lot, maybe too much. I kept on trying to do stuff from older BlazBlue titles that don't work here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
If nothing else, at least we know that ASW acknowledges P5's main character as Ren.

I still hope that Ren ends up being DLC later down the road, but I could see ASW saving him & the rest of the Phantom Theives for P5A.

Oct 28, 2017
I wasn't talking bouy win %, well not entirely. I was talking about having issue with neutral game with one of the best utilizers of it in the early game.

Only ones I can think of who're just better in neutral than wald are Ruby and Gordeau. So it just sounds odd to have issues with neutral game with such neutral dominant character.

It wasn't a matter of having trouble executing the neutral, it's just not satisfying to play. It feels stilted and linear compared to...well, every series the game is derived from. I think the screen real estate with the pulled in camera has a lot to do with that too. That coupled with the ground movement makes it feel a little jerky.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
It wasn't a matter of having trouble executing the neutral, it's just not satisfying to play. It feels stilted and linear compared to...well, every series the game is derived from. I think the screen real estate with the pulled in camera has a lot to do with that too. That coupled with the ground movement makes it feel a little jerky.

Hmmm, that's fair. I can't say I agree. I do think the movement fucks with footsies though.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017

I'd agree. Not to mention their instant access to Invuln-on-startup supers that can punish from near full screen distances, even if they're whiffed a move. Ruby's normals confirm and flow into full combos from freakin everywhere, and Es seems very hard to punish, in my experience. I never find her open, save for using a command throw on her when it'd overpower everything and any character. Her own character traits just seem REALLY strong in this game.

For me, who never has LOVED Blazblue (I really like Bang! But uh..), it feels no more awkward than BB does itself compared to the SF's or KOF's. "Drive" in BB as always a "Does too much, but not enough" button to me, and that's what the 3rd button feels like here. Except it covers Drive, The EX Button in BB, and Persona's quirks, too.

And it still works as a normal for crouch and air moves. And the way it lets you cancel strings into the instant-overhead just makes it a really powerful button in general button combos, that does more than normal.

I don't really agree with this on it's own, having won over 200 matches with him in the Beta. He's easy on his own to zone out, because he's got less powerful tools to control space than he does in UNI. He doesn't have access to his rock throw without it being an assist (not that I saw!), his claps to destroy projectiles is restricted to his DP action, instead of having easy variations, and using his normals to destroy a projectile just mean's he's open to Top Tier characters abilities to punish at near full screen while he jabs. Even if he super-cancels to punish them, he'll just waste a meter, take the damage, and basically be easy to control at far off distances.

Not to mention that normal projectiles (Yoriko's 5BB, Ruby's double Scythe gun blast, All of Rachel's bats firing multiple bullets, etc), all seem much stronger than normal projectiles in other games.

And his normals are really slow to start at close range. He wants you at a mid-close range where he's dominant, but if you opponent KNOWS that, if they stay out of it, or pressure up close with proper meanies and constant jumps, he has a hard time converting errant hits into damage. Jabs Which the common characters have very little trouble with, in this game. Almost anyone else in the game can out-jab him, even hitting his non-super grapples before he can use them.

Even depending on assist isn't too smart, since people who can punish screens with fairly easily gained meter can put a solid hurting on those character.

So... yeah. I love his normals range, I love the fact he still feels UNI in this cross-over game, but I also feel like he obviously needs to instill fear into people, in order to have them play HIS game. If they play theirs, and stay out of his rangers, he doesn't have the strength to effortlessly dominate.

Everytime someone said "He feels broke!" to me, I enjoyed the fact they just... didn't play to his weaknesses. Made me feel good, because it meant I was hiding them well! But I found so many characters that made him feel like a worthless nobody with a one-dimensional game plan, too.

I went up against a Wald/Tager that had 200+ wins and that was the most stressful win I ever had to get.

Tager actually seems to have *almost* everything that Wald is missing, even if it's more limited than it'd be in BB. They definitely compliment each other well. I'd probably give it more of a shot if I ever was a Tager play at all, ha.

Wald depends on using UNI's assault hop as an air dash more than the other UNI characters, since he has one of the only non-sprint dashes in the game for movement. Minus the universal DP, I feel like other character AA normals start up a lot faster than his / have easier hitboxes, and have more reliable disappearances of their hurt boxes, than his.

Ruby and Gord also have great Footsies normals, and UNI character still having reverse beat on their combos (as long as the hits land!) feels great. But Gord and Ruby pretty much are 1 direction press from making any mashed string turn into full combos. Ruby has some of the best normals that fit this game's systems like a Glove.

Wald's Double B has awkward start-up and is more of a frame trap when far away. His weak mash starts with a nice up-swipe, but the rest of the blows will miss / leave gaps if they're a little out of range. His crouching attacks are more reliable, but ranged hits will make the auto-grapples strikes completely whiff. So he misses out on points where other character would be getting full conversions. I do love the fact that he can turn his sweep into a fairly consistent 5BB though.

So he can stop and tap you with normals at ranges, but that does little damage here. Burning into EX moves helps this, but it's not a Wald-exclusive tool. Now if you have an ASSIST attack turn those jabs into full combos, awesome! But he either needs a slow start assist to do this, or to burn meter calling in the assist on hit. When Ruby or Gord are doing this for free.

I'm so glad he's strong here, because he's an UNI character I've always liked, and enjoyed a bit of play with, but I have many more to focus on in that game. But I definitely think people will see the reality of his strengths and weaknesses when the game is fully released.

Oct 28, 2017
For me, who never has LOVED Blazblue (I really like Bang! But uh..), it feels no more awkward than BB does itself compared to the SF's or KOF's. "Drive" in BB as always a "Does too much, but not enough" button to me, and that's what the 3rd button feels like here. Except it covers Drive, The EX Button in BB, and Persona's quirks, too.

And it still works as a normal for crouch and air moves. And the way it lets you cancel strings into the instant-overhead just makes it a really powerful button in general button combos, that does more than normal.

My man. Dead ass almost all my hype for the game deflated when he wasn't one of the leaks, but c'est la vie.

Yeah I will say, for any problems I may have, I have no issue with and maybe even like how they handled the C button. Having things like Azrael's divekick and Ragna's Berial Edge be tied to the same sort of "command normal" mechanic makes sense, and 5C being a stand in for all-out attacks also fits seamlessly. Drive is definitely a character-by-character mechanic, in terms of intuitiveness, and of the characters I tried they did a good job of simplifying the various traits into a single universal input. I do have problems with how they divided other normals amongst the smart combos and odd command normals out of A and B, but C being the catch-all "this is the goofy shit from the other games" button is really well done and smart way to integrate a bunch of games that play more differently than people realize.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
The decision to release this demo without a training mode was fucking stupid.

I cant fucking learn anything in this game because I'm stuck fighting the AI. Want to practise assist timings? Cant because the AI dies in 3 hits. Want to test a combo? Cant because the AI dies in 3 hits. Want to practise defensive anything? Cant because the AI is fucking braindead.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
The decision to release this demo without a training mode was fucking stupid.

I cant fucking learn anything in this game because I'm stuck fighting the AI. Want to practise assist timings? Cant because the AI dies in 3 hits. Want to test a combo? Cant because the AI dies in 3 hits. Want to practise defensive anything? Cant because the AI is fucking braindead.
If you have another controller lying around, then do 1P vs 2P and set the other character to Yukiko. If you hold down her A+D (Universal DP) she can continue to heal herself.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Psh who cares about gordeau.

The most impressive thing about that is that it's exactly 7K lol.
I'm liking Makoto on this though. I did try her a bit on CS Ex, but I played Relius 95% of the time.

Ragna is pretty fun tbh, and I never liked playing him in BB.

How do you tag in a partner when you're getting hit? I keep forgetting.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found this from the RWBY sub-reddit. Blake's colors in the game apparently.
tumblr_p8zfn2FCGu1rzso0qo1_1280.png

Hah she has a Kokonoe color. Also she looks surprisingly good with Ren's colors. Going by the trend it looks like Yang's RWBY color will be Nora.
http://sir-adamus.tumblr.com/post/174051842601/blakes-palettes-from-cross-tag-8-guilty-gear

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Found this from the RWBY sub-reddit. Blake's colors in the game apparently.
tumblr_p8zfn2FCGu1rzso0qo1_1280.png

Hah she has a Kokonoe color. Also she looks surprisingly good with Ren's colors. Going by the trend it looks like Yang's RWBY color will be Nora.
http://sir-adamus.tumblr.com/post/174051842601/blakes-palettes-from-cross-tag-8-guilty-gear

Dat Ramlethal color. Hnnnnnng. I can't tell who her Persona character is supposed to be. It could be anyone. Makoto? Doesn't seem to be anyone in P4. I guess it could be Yosuke.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If nothing else, at least we know that ASW acknowledges P5's main character as Ren.

I still hope that Ren ends up being DLC later down the road, but I could see ASW saving him & the rest of the Phantom Theives for P5A.

Pretty sure only the most stubborn of fans are still insisting on calling him Akira instead of Ren (can't say I remember anywhere near so much resistance in the transition from Souji to Yu once the latter was established as canonical, knowing full well that the manga names for Persona leads have been nothing but placeholders). Either way, while I've said it plenty elsewhere, I'm still not convinced that they'll necessarily stick with sprites for a P5A.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure only the most stubborn of fans are still insisting on calling him Akira instead of Ren (can't say I remember anywhere near so much resistance in the transition from Souji to Yu once the latter was established as canonical, knowing full well that the manga names for Persona leads have been nothing but placeholders). Either way, while I've said it plenty elsewhere, I'm still not convinced that they'll necessarily stick with sprites for a P5A.

I definitely remember people being against Yu. Don't know if it was as bad as the Akira supporters though. In both instances I know a lot of it came from people who write fanfiction.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if ASW takes the GGXrd/DBFZ approach visually with P5A.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking they'll still use sprites for P5A. I can see them using Xrd graphics for the next Blazblue since it'll probably be the bigger game.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If P5A is still canon like the other ones they gotta redo all the characters anyway since there is quite a big time gap between P4 and P5. Might as well go 2.5D at this point instead of making all new sprites.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if they want to include P4 characters it'd be better to go Xrd style.

Though I wonder what will become of the Cross Tag Series. They seem to want to make it a franchise but I don't think asset dumps would work as well for the 3D models would they?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah I forgot they'd probably have P4 characters. Man that just gets me more hype. I'm also wondering what they'll do with this series. I'm hoping for at least a season 2 with more RWBY characters and characters from other series mixed in. This game could have up to 60 characters if they wanted it. Make it the next MvC2 or something, just less broken.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Oh yeah I forgot they'd probably have P4 characters. Man that just gets me more hype. I'm also wondering what they'll do with this series. I'm hoping for at least a season 2 with more RWBY characters and characters from other series mixed in. This game could have up to 60 characters if they wanted it. Make it the next MvC2 or something, just less broken.

No. I dont want this. Make it MORE broken. The ultimate kusoge

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
coming into this pretty late, but has there been any confirmation that this game will have a 2 v 2 mode a la Street Fighter x Tekken (w/ 4 people basically)?

ParanoidRED

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Played for about 5 hours and i still can't get over the semplified control coming from BB

I solved this by switching to Uniel characters wich i have zero knowledge of lol