• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018

It seems like a Bloodborne 60FPS patch should be doable from Sony / From's end if they cared enough to do so. When will you listen to our prayers, Sony.

Jolkien

Oct 25, 2017
Anchorage/Alaska
If From Software cared they'd have put in proper frame pacing years ago to start. Really weird for Sony not to do this since it's probably once of their strongest exclusive.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan

It seems like a Bloodborne 60FPS patch should be doable from Sony / From's end if they cared enough to do so. When will you listen to our prayers, Sony.

Wink Wink ;)

Anyways its really weird that all good selling PS4 1st party games are getting PS5 patches and not BB when it was a notable seller.. hell even gravity rush, a niche series but a vocally fan requested series got a remaster AND a sequel! Iam 99% sure that Sony hasn't abandoned BB. Its getting a remaster iam fairly optimistic about...or at the very least a PC port.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Answer: QA, Cert, and other considerations that still need to be done in order to make sure the game does not implode at the new frame rate.

Costs money and time, so its likely coming at some point if we are lucky, just not now.

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
Sony listening to our prayers.. lmao
AbandonedAggravatingBoilweevil-size_restricted.gif

Please Sony make it happen

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Because Sony would love to sell you another $70 copy of Bloodborne at some point down the line, and that means making your existing copy as worthless as possible.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the issue was a staggery, staccato frame-pacing thing, not just a frame rate thing.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I mean, isn't it up to From Software to do it?
It's Sony's game, and their contract with FROM for Bloodborne probably ended when they wrapped up The Old Hunters, which could be why we never got a PS4 Pro patch. If Sony doesn't commission FROM to patch the game, we're not getting a patch. Especially now that JAPAN Studios is no more.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Sure, funded by pubs and I think that contract expired already.
It's Sony's game, and their contract with FROM for Bloodborne probably ended when they wrapped up The Old Hunters, which could be why we never got a PS4 Pro patch. If Sony doesn't commission FROM to patch the game, we're not getting a patch. Especially now that JAPAN Studios is no more.

Oh, I see. Interesting.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
It really all just comes back to being marketable or profitable, they'd rather sell you Bloodborne remake but a Bloodborne patch would hamper sales of that. Whereas a new Ratchet game is launching soon and a Ratchet remaster likely wouldn't do big numbers so what can you do? Drum up PR and get fans excited with a relatively easy update. Then what happens to other games that could use a patch but don't have a new game coming or can't drum up sales as a remaster, nothing they will get nothing.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
BB doesn't even have a Pro patch.
There is clearly something going on behind the scenes.

It's not happening. Hopefully BP will remake it in 6-7 years.

Oct 30, 2017
Sony doesn't think it will benefit them financially, and they're likely right. Plus FROM is likely too busy with Elden Ring and Japan Studio is gone.

They can't do it without Sony's approval.
It'll sure benefit them financially if they do a PC release, though.
Even as a $30 PC release, that will net them probably 40-50 million USD. It would likely sell quite well on PC.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Isn't Sony the publisher?
They can't do it without Sony's approval.

I doubt Sony wouldn't approve it if FROM wanted to patch it, but they don't. Unless they're planning a PC port.

Sony also won't ask their internal studios to do it.

Because Sony would love to sell you another $70 copy of Bloodborne at some point down the line, and that means making your existing copy as worthless as possible.

SM remaster is $20 (and it's more than a FPS boost), everything else was patched for free. They never sold remasters at full price.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017

Literally only one first party game got an actual remaster and it had huge changes (Spider-Man). The rest got free patches. God of War, Days Gone, Tsushima, etc.

Johannes

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but aren't patches made by the developers?
Wouldn't be surprised if there are actually people within From that are willing to put the hours for the patch. However, higher ups probably wouldn't entertain the idea of basically paying the patch on their own pockets. Especially since the publisher is one of the major ones.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
There is little financial incentive to doing this now I would guess.

Maybe after enough time where Sony thinks they would make a profit remastering the entire game.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Literally only one first party game got an actual remaster and it had huge changes (Spider-Man). The rest got free patches. God of War, Days Gone, Tsushima, etc.
All of those games are newer than Bloodborne, and all of them already have a PS4 Pro SKU. They are all made by internal studios as well, while Bloodborne isn't.

Oct 30, 2017
I guess. I mean.. We have gotten a number of free patches from Sony's studios to uncap frame rates.

Even full scale remasters seldom ever approach full price with Sony. If we were to ever see Sony charging $70 for Bloodborne, it'd be a full scale remake like Demon's Souls. Which I doubt is happening.

DCBA

Dec 12, 2018
Wouldn't be surprised if there are actually people within From that are willing to put the hours for the patch. However, higher ups probably wouldn't entertain the idea of basically paying the patch on their own pockets. Especially since the publisher is one of the major ones.
Yeah, seems like From software is not really interested in doing those upgrades... isn't also Dark Souls 3 still locked at 30 fps on Xbox Series?

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe they've done it and there were bugs and couldn't care to fix those bugs?

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
We are still getting first party games getting these updates.
It will be done when it's done.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
I was under the impression some things broke at 60fps which he had to fix manually, where as Insomniac probably codes things to be frame rate independent. So while this makes it easier, it's still not just "flip a switch."

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
All of those games are newer than Bloodborne, and all of them already have a PS4 Pro SKU. They are all made by internal studios as well, while Bloodborne isn't.

Yeah, but what the poster I replied to said had nothing to do with that.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Would boosting the frame rate to 60fps fix the frame pacing issues?
I believe so. It did for Dark Souls 3 from what I recall. Either way, fixing the frame pacing issues should be expected along with the boost to 60fps. Sony is doing this kind of work on a lot of their games, like Ratchet & Clank just recently, and Bloodborne is a game that needs it more than most.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Yeah, but what the poster I replied to said had nothing to do with that.
I don't agree. While those other games were made with 4K in mind, Bloodborne (probably) wasn't. So if they truly want to release a 'PS5 patch' they would essentially have to remaster the game if they want it to be on par with their other games, that already have 4K textures and sometimes even higher poly models included in the gamefiles. And sure, they could just uncap the framerate, heck, maybe they could even buy Lance's patch and just push the patched SKU to the players as a 'patch', but the game also doesn't look that hot, especially on a 4K TV (not talking about the artstyle, which is gorgeous) with lots of shimmering and jagged edges, so that's where a full remaster would make more sense, which of course would cost money, and like others have said in this thread before; just a 60 fps update to the base PS4 version would devalue a remaster like that.

Long story short; it would cost more time and money to bring Bloodborne up to modern standards than it would with those other games you're mentioning, which is why a full remaster would make more sense.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
We are still getting first party games getting these updates.
It will be done when it's done.
The updates usually come from the developer of the game and it's clear by now that From Software have move on from Bloodborne and busy with their next game. And no one in Japan Studio left is involved with Bloodborne. So there's no one to do the patch.

It's the downside of Sony giving so much freedom to their studio and there's no company wide mandate for certain thing. Like Insomniac is doing great job of updating Ratchet and Spider-man, while we're left wondering when Naughty Dog gonna update their games. And this is worse for games which the developer has gone away kr move on like Japan Studio and FromSoftware.

For it to happen, Someone from Sony had to either pay FromSoftware to go back and do the patch, or point to one of their dev to patch it, kr contact Lance McDonald and pay him to use his patch

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
So... wheres the tutorial on how to hack the ps5 to make it run at 4K 60? ILL DO IT I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
He gave the answer himself.

They'll most likely do a remastered Bloodborne at 4K / remaster and some QoL + instant load times.

The real question is why Last Guardian isn't patched back to 60 considering its vanilla version is running at 60 so that would have been a no brainer.

Unchated 4, Lost Legacy, Gravity Rush 2, Last Guardian, Bloodborne, these are the unfortunate ones so far.

So... wheres the tutorial on how to hack the ps5 to make it run at 4K 60? ILL DO IT I DONT GIVE A FUCK.

? There is no such thing. A dev ps5 can run the hacked BB code.

And BB can't run at 4K with any hack.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I don't agree. While those other games were made with 4K in mind, Bloodborne (probably) wasn't. So if they truly want to release a 'PS5 patch' they would essentially have to remaster the game if they want it to be on par with their other games, that already have 4K textures and sometimes even higher poly models included in the gamefiles. And sure, they could just uncap the framerate, heck, maybe they could even buy Lance's patch and just push the patched SKU to the players as a 'patch', but the game also doesn't look that hot, especially on a 4K TV (not talking about the artstyle, which is gorgeous) with lots of shimmering and jagged edges, so that's where a full remaster would make more sense, which of course would cost money, and like others have said in this thread before; a 60 fps update to the PS4 version would devalue a remaster like that.

Long story short; it would cost more time and money to bring Bloodborne up to modern standards than it would with those other games you're mentioning, which is why a full remaster would make more sense.
I mean, Bloodborne is one of the PS+ Collection games right now with all it's 1080p, poorly framepaced 30FPS glory. I'd find it hard to argue that a patch wouldn't help it stick out less when it comes to its technical state.

Deleted member 30365

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Answer: QA, Cert, and other considerations that still need to be done in order to make sure the game does not implode at the new frame rate.

Costs money and time, so its likely coming at some point if we are lucky, just not now.

This. It is a lot easier when you are an indie developer releasing a patch for a pc game, for example, but when you have a larger project (and in this case, you have Sony and From Software needing to be involved), it requires a lot more people to be involved.

Besides, it wouldn't make sense to release a patch for BB while Demon's Souls still selling well, It would me a much better idea to release it 10 to 12 months after.