Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably has something to do with Japan Studio not existing anymore. It's hard to believe it's a priority.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Probably has something to do with Japan Studio not existing anymore. It's hard to believe it's a priority.
JAPAN Studio closed this month, while Bloodborne has been out since March 2015 and the PS4 Pro since November 2016. If it were up to JAPAN Studio they would've had almost 4.5 years to uncap the framerate and maybe upgrade the resolution. I don't think them shutting down has anything to do with it.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
One day people are going to realize that From soft is a backwards ass dev and doesn't give two shits about supporting their games in the long term and they're never going to get this mythical update. No matter how "easy" it is. From doesn't care.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
giphy.gif

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
One day people are going to realize that From soft is a backwards ass dev and doesn't give two shits about supporting their games in the long term and they're never going to get this mythical update. No matter how "easy" it is. From doesn't care.
IDK if From does care or not, but this post makes no sense. The publisher (in this case Sony) is who needs to care (and fund the patch). From has updated both Dark Souls III and Sekiro on console to add unlocked framerate or new free content, they also updated BB on launch to fix the insanely long loading times, but their contract with Sony ended and so their motivation to do any other patch.

IDreamOfHime

Oct 27, 2017
Why wasn't Ratchet and Clank patched until last week? What was stopping Insomniac doing it earlier? Unbelievable!

One day people are going to realize that From soft is a backwards ass dev and doesn't give two shits about supporting their games in the long term...
Absolute bollocks.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
Sony just doesn't care, they'll rather just say fuck you now and sell you a remaster that does exactly that further down the line.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
IDK if From does care or not, but this post makes no sense. The publisher (in this case Sony) is who needs to care (and fund the patch). From has updated both Dark Souls III and Sekiro on console to add unlocked framerate or new free content, they also updated BB on launch to fix the insanely long loading times, but their contract with Sony ended and so their motivation to do any other patch.
Fair point. Sony isn't completely blame free here either. But From has a history of knowing there is a problem with their game or something otherwise and just ignore it.

Back when Dark Souls 2 was new some of the more prominent Souls players sent them an e-mail about certain ideas about balance changes and a whole laundry list of glitches, exploits, etc. and never got a response. But a month later the only thing that was done was removing the barrel outfit from the game you could only get through hacking. So they read the email but willfully chose to ignore it. The want for a 60 FPS patch is well known, and they almost certainly know it too. They just don't give a shit. Maybe we'll see a PS5 port at some point (kind of like what they did with DS2 with Scholar) but a patch? For free? It's a pipe dream.

the-pi-guy

Oct 29, 2017
It's going to happen, I have no doubt.

They made Demon's Souls a launch game, they know people want Bloodborne.

I expect though, they will do a bigger remaster.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I would love to dunk on Sony for this, there's just so much we don't know about why these games haven't been upgraded yet. Ratchet and Clank has been in the PS+ collection and then the play at home thing too, then with a few days left they patch it. What took so long, what changed? God of War took a few months to update too. Still nothing for Horizon or Last of Us 2, or Uncharted, Sonys biggest tentpole titles. Maybe now this is the secret cipher that Insomniac cracked and all the other developers can just do it now too.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
Crazy to think Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are both critically acclaimed 6 six years old games, still running at 30fps on a more powerful machine. What hurts the most? Sony communication regarding on "Why, nope or because", is inexistent.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
How much would a patch even cost to produce?

At this point I think we are better off with a remaster of the game at 4k 60 or a 120hz mode.

If Sony ever buys bluepoint, I can see them doing it as a side project.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Patching a Console game is complicated, and I'm not talking about the actual coding to make the desired changes but more the submission side of things.

There's a lot of 1st party requirements (Tools updates, New Compliance TRCs, ect...), contracts from the time of development and most importantly legal requirements that updated since (GDPR killed a lot of post-launch patches). Still with this being a Sony exclusive you'd think they'd look to assist in powering through the complications

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
IDK about this, we got Dark Souls remastered, we got a Demon's Souls remake (not that they did it but at least they okay'd it), lots of DLC for all the Souls games and Bloodborne, all the games had patches (though some came too late), pretty sure matchmaking is still up for all the games except Demon's Souls but correct me if I'm wrong, and the servers could have stayed up longer for that ideally

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It seems like a Bloodborne 60FPS patch should be doable from Sony / From's end if they cared enough to do so. When will you listen to our prayers, Sony.

It's an old game and Jim Ryan says Sony fans don't care about old games. They would rather sell you the not old 70$ remake.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Back when Dark Souls 2 was new some of the more prominent Souls players sent them an e-mail about certain ideas about balance changes and a whole laundry list of glitches, exploits, etc. and never got a response. But a month later the only thing that was done was removing the barrel outfit from the game you could only get through hacking. So they read the email but willfully chose to ignore it. The want for a 60 FPS patch is well known, and they almost certainly know it too. They just don't give a shit. Maybe we'll see a PS5 port at some point (kind of like what they did with DS2 with Scholar) but a patch? For free? It's a pipe dream.
Scholar was a Bandai Namco thing, like DkS Remaster was. It's true that the PC version of the original DkS was really bad, same with DkS II and the 60 FPS weapon degradation bug, but again, the publisher is who decides how much time and money is going to be invested in a game they funded. FROM are not technically competent at all so I wouldn't expect them to be worried about bad framerate, this I agree, but if the publishers gave them enough time and money to make more polished games, I think they should be able to fix some problems before launch. What we can do now is hope that Elden Ring is polished and has 60 FPS Ps5/Series X versions and a good PC port, the game is having a longer development cycle compared to the previous FROM releases but is also a bigger and more ambitious title so who knows how will be technically.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
JAPAN Studio closed this month, while Bloodborne has been out since March 2015 and the PS4 Pro since November 2016. If it were up to JAPAN Studio they would've had almost 4.5 years to uncap the framerate and maybe upgrade the resolution. I don't think them shutting down has anything to do with it.
Shutting the studio down was just another step on a series of strategic decisions. I'm not saying it was the factor but probably one of them, as Japan Studio was directly involved in the development process.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
we got Dark Souls remastered
Developed by QOLC and Virtuos, not by FROM.

we got a Demon's Souls remake (not that they did it but at least they okay'd it)
The "we got FROM's blessing" nonsense really does not mean anything considering Sony owns the IP, I doubt Miyazaki spared more than 1 second thinking about if the remake should be made or not.

all the games had patches (though some came too late)
This depends on their western publisher partner, at least partially, the decision to update or not the game is not made only by FROM. For example Sekiro got a really late patch with some more content, but BB only few early patches to fix some loading problems.

FROM is not good technically, and their development partners don't want to spend enough money to help them fix their shortcomings, that's the problem here.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Answer: QA, Cert, and other considerations that still need to be done in order to make sure the game does not implode at the new frame rate.

Costs money and time, so its likely coming at some point if we are lucky, just not now.
This.

Kind of don't like it when a dude ho does some things out of passion and with his spare time goes off like "oh it's so easy" and blah blah as though they don't have project deadlines, actual projects or other job-related things to it going on.

Maybe some of the games it's not as difficult to do? Maybe this wasn't happening around PS5 launch because they were going through some games and needed to test to make sure it maintains the stability it needs to?

Hell, in Bloodborne's case, aren't the physics and overall game speed tied to the framerate? I know many games are like this which is why you sometimes can't just take a 30fps game and crank it to 60fps without it massive effing something up. Or why most fighting games cap at 60 and forcing them higher does even more weird shit.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Is that actually mentioned?
Lance did a lot of other work for the patch too.
It's mentioned in this DF article on the original showcase of the patch that due to how the engine works capping the framerate to 30FPS with good frame pacing is impossible without heavily modifying it.

Sony did make some noise at one point about not wanting multiplayer games to run at different framerates on different hardware, I thought. Am I misremembering? If no, have they shown any signs of walking that back? The PS5 upgraded games I am aware of so far have mostly been single player titles (Ratchet & Clank, God of War, etc.).
Ghost of Tsushima Legends (the MP mode) is 60FPS on PS5 and 30 on PS4.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Sony did make some noise at one point about not wanting multiplayer games to run at different framerates on different hardware, I thought. Am I misremembering? If no, have they shown any signs of walking that back? The PS5 upgraded games I am aware of so far have mostly been single player titles (Ratchet & Clank, God of War, etc.).

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I just had a nightmare daydream of it being a PS exclusive pre-order bonus for Elden Ring after reading the OP. But I've been on blackout for that game so idk who snagged the marketing contract with From for that title (be it MS or Sony) EDIT: and while it's fun to think about for asecond on a lark, i don't think it would go down that way lol. It probably just has to do with japan Studio restructuring in my view, wanna get their house in order/reorganized before they do something with this much fan demand.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I don't understand Sony these days, unless they're actually putting in the work for a real remaster

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I would be absolutely shocked if we didnt see a bloodborne remake/remaster for the PS5. Sony is going to charge $70 for it.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sony just released a full remake of Demon's Souls, I'm sure they think that they have already delivered the "exclusive FROM content" for the system. Lots of Ps4 games still lack a proper Ps5 patch to improve performance (TLOU Remastered and TLOU II, Uncharted games...) and we're talking about bigger games, so they are either too busy to release patches faster or they are aiming to sell Remastered versions like they did with Spiderman.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Hopefully this is a new technique Sony just figured out. I would like to see the following games patched.

1. Bloodborne
2. Last Guardian
3. Horizon Zero Dawn

These are my wishes.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with a lot of things like this, and maybe more people realize this than I'm giving them credit for, isn't really a matter of how "easy" it is, but whether a company views it as being worth their time.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy that every Souls game + Sekiro runs at a locked 60fps on PS5, but Bloodborne doesn't. Hopefully that's rectified at some point.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
It's easy when you don't have to justify these things to multiple layers of business executives.

There is little to no financial incentive to these patches and there isn't even a Bloodborne 2 on the horizon. There are many major Sony first-party titles that have not gotten updates. Add in magnitudes more overhead to negotiate this type of thing with a third party and it's not too surprising to see why it doesn't happen.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
That's not a thing, there's multiple MP games which already have higher framerates vs last gen, most extreme example probably being Destiny 2, which has a 120FPS mode for The Crucible (PvP) whilst last gen is capped at 30. Sony don't do all that many PvP games, so we don't know if they'd be against, also I'm pretty sure their MP stuff are at 60FPS already.