Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
just put it up with a experimental tag and at your own risk notice

This would be immensely problematic for any number of reasons, varying from legal, to marketing, finance, etc. It could be done, but there is a very small chance it would happens.

1. The game clearly works just fine with an unofficial hack, I've watched full speedruns of the game like that and everything looks ok. 2. From Software games to me have never been particularly tied to framerates and the engine can clearly handle 60 fps just fine. Sekiro with its newer engine could be patched to run at 120+ fps and that posed no problems. 3. From games also don't really have much in the way of physics simulation beyond ragdoll bodies.

4. Also they would not have to update the game for anything but PS5. They can leave PS4 versions as they are since the consoles can't run it at 60 fps anyway.
Frame pacing getting fixed would be nice but I can see them cutting costs and just doing a PS5 patch.

I've bolded the following to reply in turn:

1. Unless you've run every single main weapon, spell and item in the game in various combinations, this is not properly tested, and thus anecdotal. Any tester that came to me with this kind of statement, without any actual documentation or audit trail, is pretty much on my list to remove from the team. "Everything looks ok." is not good enough.

2. You do not know what core code is tied to framerate or not, so this is speculation. Dark Souls 2 weapon degradation rate was tied to framerate, for example. It is so easy to miss something like this. You need proper testing, both black- and white-box types.

3. I agree that there's not a lot of physics simulation (another example would be the cloth movement lol). I would even argue that it needs better simulation, because my cape and cloak don't flutter dramatically enough. However, there's still tons of physics happening. For example, collision detection isn't magic. You not clipping through a wall, or whether or not your weapon hits something is a physics calculation. This is hopefully framerate agnostic, but it still has to be tested.

4. Of course you have to test on the old platforms - until the changes to the code are tested, no one knows what is or is not actually broken or even just behaves differently. Just because the framerate limiter has been removed for one platform doesn't mean something else wasn't affected on other platforms. Software regression is what takes up most of the time of QA whenever new code is introduced, or old code is altered, patched or refactored.

Why does everyone constantly underestimate the amount of effort and time needed to properly test complex systems? And this is just to get the system to a usable state, never mind the fact that testers flag so many bugs that cannot be fixed in the time and budget given to a project.

Last edited:

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
This would be immensely problematic for any number of reasons, varying from legal, to marketing, finance, etc. It could be done, but there is a very small chance it would happens.

1. Unless you've run every single main weapon, spell and item in the game in various combinations, this is not properly tested, and thus anecdotal. Any tester that came to me with this kind of statement, without any actual documentation or audit trail, is pretty much on my list to remove from the team. "Everything looks ok." is not good enough.

2. You do not know what core code is tied to framerate or not, so this is speculation. Dark Souls 2 weapon degradation rate was tied to framerate, for example. It is so easy to miss something like this. You need proper testing, both black- and white-box types.

3. I agree that there's not a lot of physics simulation (another example would be the cloth movement lol). I would even argue that it needs better simulation, because my cape and cloak don't flutter dramatically enough. However, there's still tons of physics happening. For example, collision detection isn't magic. You not clipping through a wall, or whether or not your weapon hits something is a physics calculation. This is hopefully framerate agnostic, but it still has to be tested.

4. Of course you have to test on the old platforms - until the changes to the code are tested, no one knows what is or is not actually broken or even just behaves differently. Just because the framerate limiter has been removed for one platform doesn't mean something else wasn't affected on other platforms. Software regression is what takes up most of the time of QA whenever new code is introduced, or old code is altered, patched or refactored.

Why does everyone constantly underestimate the amount of effort and time needed to properly test complex systems? And this is just to get the system to a usable state, never mind the fact that testers flag so many bugs that cannot be fixed in the time and budget given to a project.

This is a really nice summary of video game testing in general and how it affects budget. Thank you!

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
The fact that Sony never gave a shit beyond the obvious bugs they had to fix makes me angry. How can you not care for one of the most loved games of a whole console generation.

do what Microsoft does Sony and take care of your old games!

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020

Because they do not know how to make video games.

Oct 29, 2017
So the PS5 can unlock framerate of a BC game without a developer patch, FPS Boost style, is that what I am reading? If so, very cool and hopefully it gets used for more games.

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
Where's the love for your creations gone? If I was the director of Bloodborne I'd pay out of my own pockets to get it updated.
I'm shocked they left it in such a state with its frame pacing issues. What a shame.
These Devs and publishers just don't seem to be able to read the room.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony : Who wants to play games with archaic 30 FPS framerates today anyways?

Also Sony : Delists BloodBorne from the PS5 store.

Maxxan

Jan 7, 2018
Would love to see it for Horizon and Drive Club as well. With such a poor flow of new games and such a low investment (basically just testing, and fans would do the beta testing for free) it makes zero sense not to build the PS5 library this way.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Would love to see it for Horizon and Drive Club as well. With such a poor flow of new games and such a low investment (basically just testing, and fans would do the beta testing for free) it makes zero sense not to build the PS5 library this way.
Driveclub would be amazing. Would totally play that again.
But it's not even available anymore, so this will be a dream until we get a PS4 emulator or something. 😞

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
This is a really nice summary of video game testing in general and how it affects budget. Thank you!

Awww, thanks! What I said barely scratches the surface. Quality product testing (soft- or hardware) is very much a mentality, not just a process. I can get pretty worked up about it, lol

Because they do not know how to make video games.

It's not even that they don't know, it's more that it's handwaved away, and thus we get crap product quality. :( That's the big problem.

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America

Great post. I hope it becomes copy-pasta (if it isn't already) because I constantly have the urge to reveal to people that QA testing exists and requires time and money which must come from somewhere*.

How much do you reckon it would take a company to completely outsource QA + patching for a project like this (test the entire game + DLC @ 60FPS and make minor patches)? 500K?

*And usually that somewhere is...an upcoming game that you will actually pay money for.

Silav101

Oct 26, 2017
Great post. I hope it becomes copy-pasta (if it isn't already) because I constantly have the urge to reveal to people that QA testing exists and requires time and money which must come from somewhere*.

How much do you reckon it would take a company to completely outsource QA for a project like this? 500K?

*And usually that somewhere is...an upcoming game that you will actually pay money for.

Oof. That would be incredibly hard to even ballpark. A lot would be dependent on what Sony in this hypothetical situation sees as the minimum viable quality baseline, and how well they formulate their requirements and documentation (since the testers and analysts need that documentation). I'd say for full regression testing the way I would want it to be handled, because I fucking love Bloodborne, would easily exceed 500k, depending on to whom it was outsourced to. I want documentation and reports, proper bug analyses, audit trails, automated testing suites, risk analyses, the whole shebang.

Thing is, it can't even be fully outsourced, since any decent QA team would require access to the developers and codebase, to properly run tests. Rrequirements (both functional and non-functional) and baselines need to be established by Sony, in this case, so that is money (time from their employees) also spent. They can't just say: should work the way it did before, only with higher framerate.

Well, they can, but down that road lies madness and despair.

Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
I don't necessarily think Sony needs FROM to do this. It's not like it's a design overhaul, and FROM aren't exactly technical wizards anyway.

That said, without FROM, some outsourced dev will have the task of untangling FROM's code.

Still, I imagine something is in the works. The demand is loud. I lean toward a paid remaster though. If Sony is gonna take the time to sift through FROM's code, they'll probably want to get paid for it.
Why not for the other 1000s of games that's not named Bloodborne?
I mean, sure? It'd be great if all those other games also got a patch! Congratulations!

Oct 25, 2017
So the PS5 can unlock framerate of a BC game without a developer patch, FPS Boost style, is that what I am reading? If so, very cool and hopefully it gets used for more games.
That was a misinterpretation. The dev still has to do the work but this game shows that they don't have to update to a new SDK to revisit older games and make them PS5-aware. I'm not sure that's really a revelation but even if it was a reasonable assumption it's good to have real evidence for it now.

Akainu

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Everywhere and nowhere
Last edited:

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Oh? In the same way a person screaming into a pillow is technically loud?
Hohohoho.

I mean, sure. This isn't a Snyder cut type movement, but among enthusiasts there's quite a bit of chatter and hope for a Bloodborne patch. There's certainly more vocal demand that I've heard for it, than, say Ratchet 2016 or even other action games like Horizon and God Of War. Like, for GoW, I definitely read "I hope it gets a 60 FPS patch" a few times, but I didn't see regular threads on it here or on reddit like I do hoping for a BB patch.

Now, enthusiasts are still a small group compared to the wide audience, so maybe Sony won't see it as worth their time to follow up on that. But Bloodborne is still treated as one of their marquee titles. It's on the PS+ collection and on PSNow it's the logo game for the RPG category. They clearly haven't forgotten that it and its fans exist.

Like I said, I'm leaning toward paid remaster, but I would end up surprised if they do nothing at all with it, eventually.

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
Its going to happen but its going to be a remaster. The recent PS5 patches were made by internal studios who are actively working on new projects. It would be pretty easy to justify putting a couple of devs on for a coupe of weeks to work on a patch. This is not the case with Bloodborne. They would need to outsource the work to a different studio because From sure as hell is not going to do it. The cost of working on a patch just skyrocketed. And at that point, why not put in the work that would be required to make the game shine on PS5? I also think in many of the cases of the recent patches is they only got made because someone at the studio was passionate about it and there was no mandate from Sony to do it. Because if that was the case, why aren't Uncharted, Last of Us, Horizon, etc. patched?

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
Bloodborne and TLOU2 are the biggest 60 fps omissions right now. No clue why they're dragging their heels on this.

Trakan

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I love bloodborne, I don't think it was successful enough for Sony to want to do anything with it.

I don't think we're getting 60 fps or a PS5 remaster or anything like that.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Honest question, couldn't this be used for stuff like TLOU2 and Uncharted 4 without much work? Since they already have a Pro SDK seems an easier thing than a Base only game like BB

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
We are still getting first party games getting these updates.
It will be done when it's done.
In other words, take what they give you and stop complaining?

The way I see it they want Demons Souls to take the spotlight. I do think within a year we will see a PS5 patch or it being sold again as a PS5 version.

Are you one of the guys that believed that Bethesda games would still be coming to other platforms? :)

They are upgrading Elder Scrolls online to all platforms. They also upgraded Minecraft to all platforms.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
In other words, take what they give you and stop complaining?

The way I see it they want Demons Souls to take the spotlight. I do think within a year we will see a PS5 patch or it being sold again as a PS5 version.
This is something I didn't really consider. Demon's Souls is one of the bigger titles on the PS5 right now (though I imagine Miles Morales has it beat in sales). It was treated as a headline PS5 title, so them not wanting to potentially overshadow it makes sense.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Worth pointing out that the 60fps hack we currently have for the game does change the jump and roll distance and make them shorter.

It doesn't break the game but it means you cannot use some of the skips that were previously used at 60fps.

The same thing happened with Dark Souls PtDE on PC.

It deserves a Pro patch that doubles as a PS5 patch. We need an upgraded resolution, too.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
It's kinda shocking it hasnt gotten a patch, considering its one of the few games inside the PS plus collection that hasnt yet got one

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Not being done cause the devs are working on a new game maybe?
That's part of it. It's certainly one of the reasons FROM hasn't been and probably won't be involved. They're all in on Elden Ring right now and really don't seem terribly interested in revisiting past projects.

That said, I still don't think FROM is entirely necessarily for a patch or remaster.

sony can't read the source code anymore because it's in japanese
I chuckled.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Kind of done waiting on bloodborne getting patched. If it does, i'll be the first one there. I played it last a launch.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne and TLOU2 are the biggest 60 fps omissions right now. No clue why they're dragging their heels on this.

like a few other posters here said, I think we're in for full price paid 4K remasters. Especially for BB, despite its popularity on this forum, it's a pretty niche title that speaks to the hardcore gamer.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
People are so impatient these days. I get it, I would love to play Bloodborne again with PS5 upgrades, but to say "So why the heck isn't it being done?" is a bit much.

Sony's priority is not to give us Bloodborne 60fps/4k like it is for other, not even close. Sony not doing this right this second is not some sign of anything, they just haven't done it.

jmsebastian

Nov 14, 2019
Everyone talks about how notorious the frame pacing/rate issues are in Bloodborne, and I'm trying my best to see it. I played it on a base model PS4 when it first came out and have been replaying it a ton on the PS5. The issues seem pretty minor. If you had a severe sensitivity to that kind of thing, I can see how it could be an issue, but the game is designed with that limitation in mind. Most of the time, the game responds as you would expect it to. I struggle with the camera positioning far more than I do with frame issues. I will add that I do not play multiplayer, so if the majority of issues show up when you do co-op, I could see the need to address that more urgently. We're six years in, though, so the idea that the game would get a patch really is just wishful thinking.

That isn't to say a performance patch wouldn't be a welcomed thing. It obviously would. But how many more people would buy Bloodborne if it ran at 60fps versus its current state? That number has got to be tiny, if existent at all. After all, to complain about the frame issues, you'd have had to play it yourself already.

I fully expect that Bloodborne will get a remastered version during the PS5's lifespan, which is incredibly cynical on Sony's part, but undoubtedly the right move financially. Really, it's up to us as consumers to not fall for those cash grabs. Of course, Sony would very likely learn the wrong lesson from that, anyway, so consumers would lose either way.

The hacked 60fps fix is really interesting in that it shows us what could be done, but I think it also can give people the wrong impression about how companies operate. Fans have a vested interest in creating a performance patch because they love the game/are curious to see what they can accomplish. The companies that create these games do not have the same incentives. Sony and From Software have essentially no incentive to put effort into a performance patch for a game that could already be considered their crowning achievement.