Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
I don't get it. Why waste 4k and DLSS for a Pro revision next year when Nintendo can use them as a selling point for Switch 2 in 2023-2024?

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
It's just very hard for me to believe Nintendo is embracing DLSS this early. Would love to be wrong though but... still seems like Nvidia would want a nice chunk of change for that.

Plus a major reason Nvidia is pushing DLSS is so they can use your GPU for features like ray tracing.
DLSS needs a major player like Nintendo to embrace it. It'll never take off like it should otherwise. Only like 5 games support it on PC as of now.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
It's just very hard for me to believe Nintendo is embracing DLSS this early. Would love to be wrong though but... still seems like Nvidia would want a nice chunk of change for that.

Plus a major reason Nvidia is pushing DLSS is so they can use your GPU for features like ray tracing.
DLSS is still a feature that features in the high-end GPUs (20 and 30 series), so it's not mainstream for NVIDIA yet. Getting Nintendo on board early with a Switch Pro could help provide extra reasons for devs to embrace the technology, which in turn helps NVIDIA push their DLSS-enabled GPUs more. I think NVIDIA has some reasons to want the tech inside of the Switch Pro.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a thought, could adding DLSS to Switch and encouraging devs to use it lead to wider adoption in the PC space? Maybe that's enough reason for Nvidia idk

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Forget 4K, all I want from a Switch Pro is a little arm stand that actually works.

Feel like you can level test surfaces if the Switch stays standing or not with the current arm stand.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
For all intents and purposes let's say it is 4K capable, Imagine a console with Mario, Zelda, Pokemon AND COD Assassins creed etc. Gangbusters.

xxbrothawizxx

Nov 1, 2017
Gainesville, FL
If that were the case, I'm not sure why third parties would need to be briefed or asked to make their games "4K-ready".
Better textures and filtering would still mean more information for the upscaler to work with.

I'd like to be wrong, but even with the die shrink the tensor cores take up a good amount of die space. Feel like that stuff is more likely for Switch 2. The shield also just got an update that improves that AI upscaling and adds supports for a lot more resolutions and configurations that might be necessary for gaming. Seems a little too coincidental.

Last edited:

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've been told / read in that other thread several times over that DLSS isn't happening on whatever is showing up early next year.

I'm assuming nothing's changed, no? What does "4K-ready" mean here?

defferoo

Oct 30, 2017
interesting... considering most Switch titles don't hold 1080p consistently right now. to get any real benefit from 4k they need a serious boost to the GPU and possibly DLSS.

I would have expected a mild increase in processing across the board so that it can hit 1080p with fewer trade offs from a graphics perspective. Never thought they would target 4k so soon.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
It'll be interesting to see if it'll be a Switch Pro with a 1080p screen and 4k tv output ....or a Switch 4k TV only device.

TV only might more sense in regards to creating a separate strand/ mainstream pricing.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Hmm if it's meant to be be a docked only system, I can see it, but I wouldn't be interested.
I'll be surprised if they can actually make a portable switch system run at 4K, unless it is using some form of DLSS or maybe the dock has some extra power in it that can enable it?
Really I'm fine with 720p portable switch, 1080p max. I'd more just want a boosted switch that can handle the Xenoblades at a higher res portable.

Kingpin722

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe the RTX 3090 is that big bc it's actually the new Switch Pro dock that externally enhances it

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Curious to see what specs this thing has. If it can even match the GPU power of current gen undocked I will be happy.

Haint

Banned
Oct 14, 2018
I imagine this will have the generic universal form of DLSS (a la the Shield TV ) rather than the trained game specific driver level solution of PC.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Yea the only way this is humanly possible is dlls, if even then.
In principle, I think Nintendo and Nvidia could probably put together a chip that boosts games that run at 1080p on the current Switch to 4K on a Pro by adding a bunch more CUDA cores. I don't know how the numbers work out, but considering that the Switch currently completely lacks Tensor cores, it might not even be that much more expensive to just hit native 4k than to use DLSS.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
The Big news for me is that it seems they learned this lesson from the wii era. Imo wii should have had a HD upgrade and lost some relevance due to the lack of it, it's nice they try to keep switch on track.

Yeah, at the time I was always like 'why change things when the Wii is doing so well', or 'Save HD for the Wii 2' but now I think it would have been a good idea, especially when games later on like Skyward Sword would have benefitted so much from it.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
I was just thinking, what if nintendo want to release a switch dock model that is the equivalent of a series s and the current switch remains the same? This will keep costs low, as a more powerful handheld and dock will drive the price up to £500 if they want to keep the current switch price of £280, which I am sure they do. It could then be sold for £400.

Mutedpenguin

Dec 5, 2017
Updated joycons have been rumored as part of this hardware, so I think it's doubtful it's a TV only device.

A patent just came out for new joy-cons that are self contained and don't slot on to anything. A TV only device would likely still come with a form of joy-con over a pro-controller imo (to allow for two player out of the box).

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I've been told / read in that other thread several times over that DLSS isn't happening on whatever is showing up early next year.

I'm assuming nothing's changed, no? What does "4K-ready" mean here?
It's always been possible for the revision to be DLSS capable, but that would require either adding Tensor cores to the X1 or switching to a newer GPU architecture, both of which seemed pretty unlikely given Nintendo's history.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA
I was just thinking, what if nintendo want to release a switch dock model that is the equivalent of a series s and the current switch remains the same? This will keep costs low, as a more powerful handheld and dock will drive the price up to £500 if they want to keep the current switch price of £280, which I am sure they do. It could then be sold for £400.
I'm not sure if that would work since the tablet, not the dock, is responsible for increasing the resolution when in docked mode.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Not possible, the USB port on the Switch doesn't have enough bandwidth for external components like that. An updated dock doesn't need anything more to it than thunderbolt, the Switch is what needs updating.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I am so fucking ready for this. Even if most games are hitting 1440p or thereabouts, it'd be a massive boost over the current hardware and stuff like Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey will clean up real nice.
Era always with the jokes.

And your contribution to society is ... what?
Edit: God damn, I bit the bait here. My memory isn't what it used to be. Chuckled when I remembered the context though.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia

I get what you mean as Nintendo aren't usually the ones to adopt new technologies like this, but DLSS is pretty much Nintendo's only real chance at grasping great looking 4K games on a handheld console.

MegaShadowX

Feb 5, 2019
Im sorry to evertone but... Im so out of this things nowadays. Whats DLSS, and why is so important for a Nintendo console.
I already have a Switch, would be beneficial to buy this new one if this come with DLSS? Thank you in advance!

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
This grueling pace of anonymous rumors will only make people disappointed in the end, as always.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Maybe this is why Bethesda is sitting on the DOOM: Eternal Switch port. They're waiting for that 60 FPS greatness on the Switch Pro.