• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Eslayer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah if this were merely a 4K upscale there would be no reason to tell devs about it, still keeping my expectations low though

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
A rock solid 1080p/60 would be a much better goal to aim for.
But for future proofing, I'd be more than happy with 1440p with 4K upscaling like the XosS (or whatever the series S' acronym is).

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
When a $300 console maxes out at 1440p while a handheld does 4k is something I would like to see.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I consider the implementation of dlss as being significantly more powerful. It would be an incredible upgrade.
I don't know, seems on par with the introduction of a color screen on the GBC.

Though, unless the GPU is using a somewhat exotic config (which I wouldn't rule out, since it's almost definitely being made specifically to meet Nintendo's needs), that would be a pretty big architectural shakeup for a Pro revision.
Ah, gotcha.

Hope you don't mind my ignorance but, why does Nintendo need to ask developers to make their games 4k ready if it's the system that does the upscaling?
What are the chances of an additional graphics processing unit in a new dock to achieve this?
If this is true, I feel it's either that or a 'Home' version of the switch.

If it was just upscaling/DLSS, then they wouldn't need to ask developers to make their games '4k ready' , right?
If it's DLSS, it can't just be forced in the driver. DLSS, as it currently exists, needs to be explicitly integrated into game engines to work.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Nintendo would honestly get by just fine making a machine that targeted 1080/60fps.

Hell, even 1440p is a treat. 4k is a waste in resources.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
I think the most likely application of "4K Ready" in this instance, is making sure any 2D assets like UI graphics and whatnot, have native 4K resolution support. Because DLSS handles the rendered part of the scene, it doesn't touch the UI (much like dynamic resolution in UE doesn't), having proper support for UI in the targeted resolution is still important.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
I'm super interested in what 1st party software line-up Nintendo is preparing to pair with this much rumored Switch+.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
If you make a game like Lumines, i don't see why you couldn't have that in 4K on the switcharoomax in a couple years (or next year if indeed 2021).
Not everything has to be heavy graphically.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
I think Nintendo means that every game should have the UI at 4K sinice a Switch Pro will be more than enough to handle that

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Might Nintendo be moving towards dumping the traditional generational tag and simply just upgrading the Switch every few years?

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed. For me it's more about whether the price and the ability to have the hardware fit in a portable unit. AFAIK all the DLSS capable cards are pretty damn big. Will be interested. Would be quite the coup for Nintendo against the Series S if they're able to do this.
There is a Tegra with tensor cores.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I think the most likely application of "4K Ready" in this instance, is making sure any 2D assets like UI graphics and whatnot, have native 4K resolution support. Because DLSS handles the rendered part of the scene, it doesn't touch the UI (much like dynamic resolution in UE doesn't), having proper support for UI in the targeted resolution is still important.
Yeah this makes sense. A Switch Pro with the capability to output native 4K but in reality will only reach those resolutions for 2D indie-scale titles

Nov 8, 2017
Could it be an upgraded TV dock?

If you mean something you can just replace your existing dock with for an instant upgrade, no, or at least not unless they are basically shipping an entirely new system in the dock, and it only shares storage with the portable console you plug into it. To the best of our knowledge, the connection between Switch and Dock is not remotely high bandwidth enough for it to just be some kind of external GPU configuration, so you'd need to have the full package in the dock.

Mar 27, 2018

This could also apply to any AI upscaling technique, which can make text in movies blurry on the Shield TV. I'm hoping for the DLSS, but this feels like a repeat of the initial Switch speculation. As the specs were being finalized and leaked, people were really hoping that Nintendo went with the more powerful Tegra X2 "Parker". They didn't, they went with the older X1.

The leaked Tegra revision for the Switch v2 and Lite was also hoped to be more powerful and wasn't.

I just dont expect them to stretch very far.

JSG87

Mar 13, 2018
Ayr, Scotland
I do have a theory, say Nintendo's definition of 4K is actually releasing games at 4K quality rather than a DLSS solution, would that explain such a quiet year aside from The Pandemic?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Might Nintendo be moving towards dumping the traditional generational tag and simply just upgrading the Switch every few years?

This possibility has been discussed since at least 2014 when Iwata talked about emulating iOS and Android. I don't think the explicitly spelled out eschewing traditional generations but it was one of many theories at the time.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
Without more detail, I can only make an educated guess. I would assume "getting 4k ready" would mean testing their engines to make sure they functioned correctly at higher rendering resolutions, and maybe preparing higher quality assets so the games could look nicer when rendered at higher res (if the new system has more RAM for example).

If they were briefed on system specs early, they can start to plan the specifics of their upgrades now even if dev kits haven't been shipped.
I don't know, seems on par with the introduction of a color screen on the GBC.

Though, unless the GPU is using a somewhat exotic config (which I wouldn't rule out, since it's almost definitely being made specifically to meet Nintendo's needs), that would be a pretty big architectural shakeup for a Pro revision.

If it's DLSS, it can't just be forced in the driver. DLSS, as it currently exists, needs to be explicitly integrated into game engines to work.
Ah, gotcha. Thank you, guys, for explaining.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Well, yes and no. It does need explicit implementation in the driver (i.e. its own specific configuration, much like anything), but as far as implementation in the engine it basically works with the same (or similar enough) set of data that TAA does. So any game that has TAA can, theoretically, have DLSS with a bit of extra work (to expose the motion data for the DLSS API so that there's no need to forcibly extract it, and handle the difference in output resolution).

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This possibility has been discussed since at least 2014 when Iwata talked about emulating iOS and Android. I don't think the explicitly spelled out eschewing traditional generations but it was one of many theories at the time.

Who knows too, Nintendo has a different president now, so things can change. Iwata-era was very different than the Yamauchi-era. Maybe the whole "well this is how Nintendo has done things the last 20-30 years" may not tell us a lot.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If Nintendo are going with a modern Nvidia chip for the revision then it's more than feasible they could have one capable of rendering current 1080p Switch games in 4K. The Tegra in Switch is from 2015 and you would only require a chip that can perform between XBO and PS4 whilst docked to achieve that level of performance.

It would be unlike Nintendo though...

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sure but the Switch has pretty much followed his vision so far.

Hard to say because it was somewhat vague, remember when a lot of people were vehemently against a hybrid console because "Nintendo doesn't do that" and were adament NX would be a "family of systems" as in a big box home console, portable console, etc. that just shared games?

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yes and no. It does need explicit implementation in the driver (i.e. its own specific configuration, much like anything), but as far as implementation in the engine it basically works with the same (or similar enough) set of data that TAA does. So any game that has TAA can, theoretically, have DLSS with a bit of extra work (to expose the motion data for the DLSS API so that there's no need to forcibly extract it, and handle the difference in output resolution).
It could maybe be done in theory, but it would probably require a bit of per game hackery to the point where it would probably just be easier for everyone involved to just implement it properly in the games.

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I am pleasantly surprised by the number of people saying they'd prefer higher framerates over a higher resolution. I'd be fine with a 1440p docked/1080p portable resolution but i'd take more consistent framerates over either any day, especially since anything higher than 1080p on a screen so small will result in significant diminishing returns i.e. seeing the difference between 4K, 1440p and 1080p on a smaller screen is much more difficult than a TV or even a laptop screen.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Considering NVIDIA are pushing DLSS hard, I think that might be part of the Switch Pro system. For about 1/2 or less of the GPU power demand of native 4K, you can create a DLSS 1080p -> 4K upscaling that is generally really good - assuming the chip is equipped with sufficient Tensor cores. A Switch Pro could utilise those features, but there needs to be some specific porting to integrate DLSS into the rendering pipeline (you can't add it on top, you have to integrate it mid-way through the rendering pipeline). Perhaps that's what Nintendo asked them to do (or consider)? It would make sense to give a sizable amount of heads-up to devs, since it's a bit more work than just tweaking settings on a new power profile I'd think. But yeah, let's see what we're going to get! A Switch Pro should be able to provide native visual upgrades even without utilising DLSS, so it should be a good system to have regardless.

I hope this is 4K in handheld mode
Not likely.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I am pleasantly surprised by the number of people saying they'd prefer higher framerates over a higher resolution. I'd be fine with a 1440p docked/1080p portable resolution but i'd take more consistent framerates over either any day, especially since anything higher than 1080p on a screen so small will result in significant diminishing returns i.e. seeing the difference between 4K and 1080p on a smaller screen is much more difficult than a TV or even a laptop screen.
How about 4K (DLSS 1080p -> 4K) 60 fps Super Mario Odyssey? 😁

Or 4K(DLSS)/60fps BOTW... (if they put in additional work to make it run at 60 fps)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to point to a change of leadership I would also point out that since Switch was in development and released Genyo Takeda was promoted and then retired(in 2017). It's not impossible that there has been a slight change of vision.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
I checked the article again...there's no mention of anything 4k. Weird.

Did the ninja's get to the author of the article? Seems like it was edited:
"Updated on September 9, 2020, 12:30 AM EDT"

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo probably laid the hammer down. They need to sell the current Switch model through the holidays.

Dakhil

Mar 26, 2019
Orange County, CA

"Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way."
I still see it when I've opened the Bloomberg article.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
"Several outside game developers, speaking anonymously as the issue is private, said that Nintendo has asked them to make their games 4K-ready, suggesting a resolution upgrade is on its way."
I still see it when I've opened the Bloomberg article.
It's still there. Just about the second graph, showing Switch's shipments.
Just opened the link on Edge Chromium browser and it now shows. Weird that it doesn't display in Firefox.