• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It depends what you're doing/ how complex your game is. The Nvidia guy on the ue4 livestream was saying the worst situation is finishing a game and then trying to add DLSS at the end, and was stressing it should be done as early as possible in development.

Hmmm I guess that means adding it after shipping the game as a patch might present difficulties.

I guess the idea of simply ticking a box is a best case scenario.

So when do we think this will be announced?

Probably July/August at the earliest.

Panda Andino

Nov 5, 2018
a lot of folks here talk like this new pro model will only have dlls as an extra. Nope this will also have better base gpu and cpu. So yes old games running at 900p 30 frames can now run at 900p 60 but with dlls wil be something like 1440p 60.

Brofield

Oct 25, 2017
$399 USD is probably looking at $450 Canadian Tires.

Even if I can't nab one at launch, I have a feeling I'll be getting it at full price in the coming months after

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I hope in the future we see DL good frame interpolation to go from 30fps or lower to 60fps almost for free or if it would be worth it. Wonder if that would be possible as DSLL.

I also wonder about battery implications of the Pro version and raw GPU upgrades.
that was doable way back on the 360

www.eurogamer.net

LucasArts' 60FPS Force Unleashed II tech demo

At the recent SIGGRAPH 2010, LucasArts coder Dmitry Andreev showed off a quite remarkable tech demo based on work he ca…

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
maybe they'll do a promo tie in for selects titles with a dlss patch
Maybe. There were even analogs to this back in the Gameboy Color days, when patches were not possible. The Color Dungeon in Links Awakening DX for example, which you could only play on a GameBoy Color, even though the game itself was compatible with classic GameBoy. They also implemented special pallettes for some classic GameBoy games, like Pokemon Yellow.

Aurora

Jul 22, 2018
Lemuria
finally,

red-dead-redemption-2-switch-cover.jpg

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Well I'm down for Switch Pro, even if it's hitting $400 price tag. Shame though I'd probably normally trade my OG Switch in or sell it off towards it, but it's a first gen with the easy hardware exploit for homebrew.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing with the Switch is if you even double the system's raw performance, it basically kinda jumps an entire generation, which isn't the case for things like 3DS or PS4 - PS4 Pro.

A Switch even doubled with DLSS basically becomes a portable XBox One give or take. The Switch as is can already run some games like Witcher 3 and DOOM Eternal, it's just a giant pain in the ass to port them, but you even double the Switch and suddenly a host of PS4-tier games at least become probably a lot easier to port.

So I'm not quite sure how devs and Nintendo will handle/market that.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Man at this point I'd much rather they just wait a year and drop a true successor instead of a midgen refresh. Switch hardware was inadequate the day it launched, and that was years ago.

I'm still gonna upgrade, but it sucks to imagine that devs will have to keep supporting such a low baseline for years to come.

Gamer4life

Dec 6, 2017
This will be harder to find than a PS5 with the massive chip shortage. That won't get better until sometime into 2022 MAYBE.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
$369.99 could also be another price point they look at, the 3DS was $169.99 for a while so it doesn't have to be either $350 or $400 necessarily.

ShineALight

Oct 27, 2017
Is it just me or does this sound like a pretty substantial upgrade? The improved hardware and DLSS is a much more meaningful refresh from Nintendo than I'd expected, looking forward to the unveiling. Any indication of when that might be?

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Man, this is pretty exciting. I balked at playing XC2 because of the IQ, sounds like this will solve the resolution problems in that game assuming they patch it in.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Speaking of BOTW2 possibly being this year...

Nintendo can worry about the "optimal" release timing for new hardware all they want but if they release a BotW sequel, or basically any big single player game, this fall then push out this new hardware next year, that'll be hard to swallow.

Pokemon remakes and zelda ports are whatever. But the evergreens? You've got to give people a chance to experience those for the first time on your imminent hardware update.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Nintendo can worry about the "optimal" release timing for new hardware all they want but if they release a BotW sequel, or basically any big single player game, this fall then push out this new hardware next year, that'll be hard to swallow.

Pokemon remakes and zelda ports are whatever. But the evergreens? You've got to give people a chance to experience those for the first time on your imminent hardware update.
I don't think they actually do have to do that though with their current demand and sales trajectory. I don't think it changes the sales of the games.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
Is it just me or does this sound like a pretty substantial upgrade? The improved hardware and DLSS is a much more meaningful refresh from Nintendo than I'd expected, looking forward to the unveiling. Any indication of when that might be?
If it's launching before the holidays, I would bet we'll get a reveal during a summer Direct (possibly around E3). However, I have no idea when they'd reveal the system if it's launching around March next year, since I imagine many people would hold off buying a Switch for the holidays if the Switch Pro is on the horizon...

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do hope that BotW 2 and Pokémon Legends are still optimized well for the base model. Pokémon Legends did not look like it was running even close to Nintendo standard for a game coming out less than a year.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
I don't think they actually do have to do that though with their current demand and sales trajectory. I don't think it changes the sales of the games.

Well, they don't have to do anything. A lot of people seem to believe that Nintendo could practically just stop making games and continue to sell 25m Switches a year in perpetuity. I don't think I (or Furukawa) agree that complacency is a good strategy for them now but, regardless, I was speaking more from the perspective of someone who buys and enjoys their products. Given how infrequently Nintendo puts out games that could really use a steep hardware upgrade, any game they put out between now and Switch Pro Day that fits that description is going to hit a little different, imo.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
God damn I can't believe the Switch Pro being a legit powerhouse is a thing. Sure it's probably just due to the luck of Nvidia creating DLSS and to me (someone who is super computer illiterate) DLSS sounds like fucking sorcery, but I'm 100% on board, and makes me long wait for Metroid Prime 4 all the harder.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is temper your expectations. Nintendo and third parties aren't about to start releasing games that the current 80+ million userbase will be unable to play out of the gate.

Look to the Gameboy Color for a potential path here.

Example:

Gameboy Color releases in 1998
Pokemon Gold and Silver releases in 1999 (Japan), fully playable on GB and GBC
Pokemon Crystal releases in 2000 (Japan), only playable on GBC

Expect a lot of OG Switch compatibility in new releases for the first couple of years, and then before the public even notices what is happening and after the point at which they will care, the majority of major releases will be Switch Pro only.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
God damn I can't believe the Switch Pro being a legit powerhouse is a thing. Sure it's probably just due to the luck of Nvidia creating DLSS and to me (someone who is super computer illiterate) DLSS sounds like fucking sorcery, but I'm 100% on board, and makes me long wait for Metroid Prime 4 all the harder.
There is definitely some luck involved but it's probably fair to say Nintendo was made aware of dlss possibly even before Switch launched but the progress Nvidia has made from dlss 1.0 to 2.0 probably was a surprise and may have killed plans for an overclocked tx1 successor

The other fortunate break is the huge jumps in ARM cpu core designs since 2015 even from the A57 Switch used to A76 that is fairly old hat by now. This Switch probably will go with an A78 but would still lap PS4 and Xbone if it user an A77 or something. Best case 8 core A78 would put its cpu perf in between the pS5 and PS4

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this is pretty exciting. I balked at playing XC2 because of the IQ, sounds like this will solve the resolution problems in that game assuming they patch it in.
I really hope they do. And then do the same for all other games bottlenecked by resolution/performance, of which there are many! Exciting times ahead. I can't wait.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. This should make some pretty exciting stuff possible for them (certainly it opens the Switch up to getting waaaaay more good games ported to it with less effort, but DLSS is likely going to look like absolute fucking hi-def crisp perfect wizardry with typical Nintendo art styles).

Adhrast

Jan 17, 2018
I hope GameStop does their usual trade in deals, I'd give my D1 Switch for like a 200€ discount.
This seems like the kind of update I don't see myself skipping. I got a N3DS D1 and even that wasn't as substantial an update as this