• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
At GDC 2019, Bluepoint ever so slightly hinted on what they're working on next by framing it as a "re-envisioning" vs a remake like they have done with Shadow of the Colossus.

z3kLqvQ.png

Also their remastering/remaking process is detailed in the slides below.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026277/Beyond-the-Remake-of-Shadow

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
It's already troubling enough dealing with the terms "reboot/remake/remaster" together. What would a re-envisioning even mean if you're still using an already existing product as a base?

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
if it's metal gear solid i'm gonna die

i think something like the OG deus ex would be even better but that's not going to happen so i just hope it's metal gear solid

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Still think its mgs 1 built from a different perspective

Either that or its something noboys guessed yet

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
At GDC 2019, Bluepoint ever so slightly hinted on what they're working on next by framing it as a "re-envisioning" vs a remake like they have done with Shadow of the Colossus.

z3kLqvQ.png

Also their remastering/remaking process is detailed in the slides below.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026277/Beyond-the-Remake-of-Shadow
That quote makes no sense. They consider their remaster of Shadow of the Colossus a remake, and...they also made a separate remake of the game?

So...what exactly is their new project, then?

Krvavi Abadas

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Videoland

Metal Gear 1 seems to be more likely.
If they're describing it as a "Re-envisioning", it's probably going to be exceptionally different, and Metal Gear 1, with it's ties to the later games being pretty vague (Not to mention MGSV practically ending where that game starts, with added retcons that need to be smoothed over..) is exactly the sort of game that deserves to be completely redone.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
It's already troubling enough dealing with the terms "reboot/remake/remaster" together. What would a re-envisioning even mean if you're still using an already existing product as a base?
Something like Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes I guess? A remake that adds new stuff and updates the rest. Yakuza Kiwami would be another example I suppose, it's a bit more than a remake, but not new.

Oct 25, 2017
Something akin to Ratchet and Clank PS4. They messed around with the content even though it was all based on the original game.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If it's not demon's souls i will puke in a bucket

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Metal Gear 1 seems to be more likely.
If they're describing it as a "Re-envisioning", it's probably going to be exceptionally different, and Metal Gear 1, with it's ties to the later games being pretty vague (Not to mention MGSV practically ending where that game starts, with added retcons that need to be smoothed over..) is exactly the sort of game that deserves to be completely redone.

The problem with it being a MGS re-imagining is what exactly has Konami done as of late that makes anyone think that they're going to put AAA money into a game? They're making small games like Bomberman or just re-releasing their old classics.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Re-envisioning sounds bold, and also like a can of worms. A Twin Snakes situation is not ideal, for example.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I'd like to see how the re-envision Demon's Souls with the restored archstone

Deleted member 420

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am really surprised that Square Enix was smart enough to give the FF7 Remake over to Bluepoint. it's not like them to admit defeat like that, but Bluepoint really is a much better option than developing it in-house if they want to get it out within the next five years.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
That quote makes no sense. They consider their remaster of Shadow of the Colossus a remake, and...they also made a separate remake of the game?

So...what exactly is their new project, then?

They consider Shadow of the Colossus on PS4 a remake is what they're saying. Some would consider it a remaster.

The distinction between port/remaster/remake can shift based on the person. What they're talking about for their new project is probably what others would also consider a remake (something like the recent Ratchet and Clank, or Resident Evil 2).