• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Totakeke

Oct 25, 2017
I'm afraid that a real time game isn't what I'm looking for at all. Besides, despite how the game may be themed, it's not going to feel like a proper dungeon crawl at all. 5-Minute Dungeon doesn't look like a bad game, but it's not fulfilling my tick boxes at the moment.

You seem to want something of substance, mice and mystics maybe?

Deleted member 4452

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also interested in a light fantasy adventure game. I looked into Runebound and the Legends of Andor, but they seem to play pretty similarly to Mage Knight, and I'd rather play that instead.
I don't think Legends of Andor is similar to MK. They both have a euro puzzley aspect to gameplay, but it is not the same sort of puzzle. Andor is also much lighter. Some people don't like that killing monster advances the narrator on the time track (basically acting like a time limit that shrinks whenever you defeat something), but I love the efficiency puzzle that comes from it. The story/narration is also fun, and combined with its expansions/sequel form an epic story trilogy.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
You seem to want something of substance, mice and mystics maybe?
Basically, I'm looking for a game that satisfies the following:

1. You play as a character.
2. It has the basic dungeon crawler gameplay loop of kill monster -> gain loot/get stronger -> kill monster.
3. Few game components & short setup time & small foot print.
4. Play time of under 40 min.

Of these, 5-Minute Dungeon only meets 3 & 4 and the theme is skin-deep at best. Pathfinder ACG sort of fits along these lines; it's just a bit on the long side, and the game is on the fiddly side to count (as an aside, I think that Pathfinder ACG is fascinating to look at from a design perspective, but much less so to actually play). Likewise, something like Mice and Mystics is too much of a full-blown game for my purposes.

For some context, I just got Gloomhaven so I'm more looking for a micro game to complement that as opposed to a game that rivals it in having a proper board and other logistical requirements.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018

2. It has the basic dungeon crawler gameplay loop of kill monster -> gain loot/get stronger -> kill monster.

Of these, 5-Minute Dungeon only meets 3 & 4 and the theme is skin-deep at best. Pathfinder ACG sort of fits along these lines; it's just a bit on the long side, and the game is on the fiddly side to count (as an aside, I think that Pathfinder ACG is fascinating to look at from a design perspective, but much less so to actually play). Likewise, something like Mice and Mystics is too much of a full-blown game for my purposes.

For some context, I just got Gloomhaven so I'm more looking for a micro game to complement that as opposed to a game that rivals it in having a proper board and other logistical requirements.

I'm sure One Deck Dungeon has been mentioned but what about the new game Wakening Lair?

Just watched the dice tower review and seems to check off your boxes.

https://youtu.be/xdZmJWog8mc

Last edited:

Rover

Oct 25, 2017

Warhammer Adventure Card Game hits those marks (might go a little longer than 40min) and is worth it (despite it being OOP and not supported), if you can get it cheap.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Warhammer Adventure Card Game hits those marks (might go a little longer than 40min) and is worth it (despite it being OOP and not supported), if you can get it cheap.

Alternatively, later this year the reskin of that game Heroes of Terrinoth will be released and will receive expansion support.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here have opinions on gaming stores in Chicago area, preferably west or south, and tThe Gaming Goat in particular?

I'm enough of a nerd that having a good FLGS nearby factors into where I want to move.

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
Ya, no way am I going in on the Power Rangers. It's too expensive and there just isn't enough time to play all of these minis games. Plus, it just looks kinda bland. I'll stick with the base game of Batman from Monolith when it shows up next year.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Licensed games always are license pending as the sculpts/art is not final.

Warhammer Quest line of games, the new one

Last edited:

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
The licensor approval isn't for making the game, it's just getting the final sculpts approved.

However, going to KS for a board game without a gameplay video ready at this point is just a really weird thing to do.

I know, but the fact that the sculpts and art being in limbo still have gone poorly in the past. I'm not cool with that.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
I'm sure One Deck Dungeon has been mentioned but what about the new game Wakening Lair?

Alternatively, later this year the reskin of that game Heroes of Terrinoth will be released and will receive expansion support.
Other than Warhammer being impractical to get, these look like worthy additions to my list. I've also been eyeing the print-and-play Mini Rogue and Renegade as contenders. Renegade isn't a fantasy dungeon crawler, but it satisfies similar needs and a Mage Knight that plays faster sounds awesome! One Deck Dungeon is probably still going to be my go-to for the time being.

Warhammer Quest line of games, the new one
I don't see the use of an expensive game that's just going to lose table time to Gloomhaven.

Ya, no way am I going in on the Power Rangers. It's too expensive and there just isn't enough time to play all of these minis games. Plus, it just looks kinda bland. I'll stick with the base game of Batman from Monolith when it shows up next year.
Ying is a good game designer so I suspect that the game will mechanically sound. However, an expensive Kickstarter game that promotes itself primarily on how great it's minis are is not a good sign.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Warhammer being impractical to get,

Warhammer Quest Adventure Card Game (it's a card game, not a big board game thing) is $23 on Amazon right now and there are no significant expansions.

Edit: I forgot they are rebooting this game as Heroes of Terrinoth. You could also wait for that!

Last edited:

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
I know, but the fact that the sculpts and art being in limbo still have gone poorly in the past. I'm not cool with that.

This is pretty much like 95% of mini based kickstarters, they simply don't have to legally put that approval is pending since they are not licensed products. Folks never seem to have issue with those kickstarters.

I don't see the use of an expensive game that's just going to lose table time to Gloomhaven..

Warhammer Quest is cheaper than Gloomhaven. Less components, quicker setup, quick to play scenarios, and easy simple campaign system.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much like 95% of mini based kickstarters, they simply don't have to legally put that approval is pending since they are not licensed products. Folks never seem to have issue with those kickstarters.

Warhammer Quest is cheaper than Gloomhaven. Less components, quicker setup, quick to play scenarios, and easy simple campaign system.

I guess that's fair. But that doesn't take away from the fact that they're asking a lot for zero gameplay right now.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
From what I can tell of the Power Rangers KS, the gameplay looks kind of dull and generic. Cards do pretty ordinary things ("Get X when Y happens"), and you roll dice to resolve combat. The minis seem to just move between a couple of locations, no movement on a grid or neat modular stages to navigate.

It looks like a theme with some mechanics slapped onto it.

Then there's the mean marketing tactics like the Green Ranger being one of the more distant Stretch Goals, very few of those stretch goals even included in the $75 base pledge, and the f'n Megazord not being in even the $150 box (what is the point of any of this?), this is just more merchandise posing as a boardgame. Somebody got the PR license for a board game and is seeing how much they can bleed the fans dry. I hate this kind of thing.

Even if you wanted to just look at this as a 'must-have' toy for PR fans, you gotta consider if it's not more worthwhile to spend $75, $150, or $300 on bigger, cooler, shinier PR toys that already exist.

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
But both games still have long playing times & require a lot of board space and Gloomhaven's the one that has much more interesting mechanics. More importantly, I already have Gloomhaven and I'm dying to play it so something that competes directly for table space and time is out of the question. If it's a game that plays in 30 min. and has minimal setup and table space, that's a different matter and it's exactly what I'm looking for.

Also, I'm not a fan of games that have massively inflated prices because they have a million minis. A game like Cthulhu Wars may be amazing in its genre, but it just seems terrible value for money.

Cindres

Oct 28, 2017

I've been looking for exactly this for a while. I've recently been having a go at d100 Dungeon. It's a print n play, purely pen, paper and 3 dice game but basically fits that loop with very minimal to no setup (just need some paper and printed character sheets)

It was at one point free to download, now with v3 it's about $11 for the PDF but from what I've tried so far I'd go for v3

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/237031/d100-dungeon
Store: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/244214/D100-Dungeon

Official site seems to be down at the moment, buying it will give you access to any future updated versions.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Game night was a mixed bag this past Tuesday night. I had fun with the games I played: A 2P game of Dice Throne, and 8P game of Tortuga 1667, and several 8P games of Werewords. I also found out that the guy who hosts game night is moving in six weeks; his job is transferring him to a new facility out-of-state. He's the guy who moved here in January of last year and immediately set up a weekly game night at his house, rescuing me from showing up at the game store every week only to find no one there and then leaving after an hour. That store actually just got bought out and the new owner is serious about turning things around there, but the last two weeks haven't really seen much activity there. Not sure what I'll be doing after this six weeks is up.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
struggling on pulling the trigger on Batman GCC. Today (or tomorrow) is the last day for late pledges.. on the one hand it's "only" $320 which, given most all-in pledges for KS, it's pretty reasonable... on the other hand.. after gencon.. directly in between Star Wars Destiny expansions (which are usually 3 boxes each)... and STILL eyeing up Harry Potter from Knight Models as well as a couple (much cheaper) KS.. (though Thunderstone Quest is still $150...)

I'd feel better about it if I could get stuff to the table more frequently.. but participating in two Star Wars Destiny nights a week (running one of them) and with balanced family time means I MAYBE get ONE other game to the table a week... then again at least Batman isn't a campaign.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
struggling on pulling the trigger on Batman GCC. Today (or tomorrow) is the last day for late pledges.. on the one hand it's "only" $320 which, given most all-in pledges for KS, it's pretty reasonable... on the other hand.. after gencon.. directly in between Star Wars Destiny expansions (which are usually 3 boxes each)... and STILL eyeing up Harry Potter from Knight Models as well as a couple (much cheaper) KS.. (though Thunderstone Quest is still $150...)

I'd feel better about it if I could get stuff to the table more frequently.. but participating in two Star Wars Destiny nights a week (running one of them) and with balanced family time means I MAYBE get ONE other game to the table a week... then again at least Batman isn't a campaign.

I'll just say that I'm all in on GCC, because the system powering it is REALLY FUCKING GOOD. At least, I feel it is. I had a ton of fun with Conan, and that isn't even an IP I'm super in love with.

Deleted member 8860

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Gonna take a big box of seventeen games to Congress of Gamers on Saturday for the auction store.

It's not so easy to trim down a collection, but I figure I should try to get rid of as much as possible while transportation isn't a problem.

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
After the great dice tower review, I preordered Hail Hydra. Excited to try it out with a larger group
Ha I didn't realize it wasn't out yet (bought it at GenCon)

Yeah we played a shitload of this at GenCon. The first night we played for 5 hours straight. Out of 7 guys, 4 of us walked out having purchased it. My ONLY complaint is that 6 is the worst player count for the game. 5, 7 or 8 are perfect. 6 you end up with 2:1 shield to hydra.. and it becomes super easy for at least half of the hydra agents to stay hidden. But really I have no idea how they could fix that.

And thanks to the MCU, being invested in the comics/MU doesn't really matter. Even the most casual players will love it unless they absolutely can't stand Marvel properties.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the "Hail Hydra" thing and Disney/Marvel's continuing behavior of making their bad guys Nazis and then selling that as "fun".

Kinsaras

Aug 10, 2018
I'm a bit uncomfortable with the "Hail Hydra" thing and Disney/Marvel's continuing behavior of making their bad guys Nazis and then selling that as "fun".

26-evil-captain-america.w710.h473.jpg

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
They have the stormtroopers as well. Weird to see them use both.

Yep, and I'll admit I like the Stormtroopers in terms of design and visual presence, but Disney has simultaneously gone full-tilt on the Nazi parallels with them while still having them march up and down the Disney parks to take pictures with, and feature as playable characters in games. Weird stuff.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I'll just say that I'm all in on GCC, because the system powering it is REALLY FUCKING GOOD. At least, I feel it is. I had a ton of fun with Conan, and that isn't even an IP I'm super in love with.

Yeah i own conan and the mechanics are so good, but the... grossness of the Conan universe is a definite point against it. Batman is something way more universal and actually getting the kickstarter exclusive stuff means i'll have characters forever

borghe

Oct 27, 2017
Well I did it. All-in on Batman. I justified it to myself by NOT backing at this time Thunderstone Quest and probably not Moonshiners of the Apolcalypse as well. As well as not bothering hunting down Shadows of Brimstone for the time being...

Still looking at Cthulhu: Death May Die... and/or Harry Potter. Though Batman really took a hit on my desire for big box mini games. Looks like €411 for complete H.P., and $325 for Cthulhu Death May Die.

Edit - apparently one expansion (Black Goat) has nothing exclusive to KS.. and Season 2 only has the one mini exclusive to KS.. so really Cthulhu DMD is only $250.

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
"only" :)

I enjoyed playing Thunderstone Advance, I should want to play the new one, but the price *really* rubs me up the wrong way. I'm sure there's tons of content, but it just seems like a lot of money for "just" a card game. Totally my own problem, for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Ha I didn't realize it wasn't out yet (bought it at GenCon)

Yeah we played a shitload of this at GenCon. The first night we played for 5 hours straight. Out of 7 guys, 4 of us walked out having purchased it. My ONLY complaint is that 6 is the worst player count for the game. 5, 7 or 8 are perfect. 6 you end up with 2:1 shield to hydra.. and it becomes super easy for at least half of the hydra agents to stay hidden. But really I have no idea how they could fix that.

And thanks to the MCU, being invested in the comics/MU doesn't really matter. Even the most casual players will love it unless they absolutely can't stand Marvel properties.

Super glad to hear your positive thoughts!! Can't wait to try it out, I think it ships next week

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm about to up my pledge on Thunderstone Quest to get the easy epic variant box and the roll up town map just to keep table space down.

Oct 25, 2017
What's the rest of the year look like for everyone? Checking my preorders and kick starters I have
Reef
5 min marvel
Hail hydra
Forbidden sky
Spell smashers
Endeavor age of sail
C02
Dice throne s2
Robin Hood
Dinosaur island expansion
Fireball Island

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure when it happened, but Onirim finally got another reprint and is currently in stock. It can't have been that long ago because I've been checking all year.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
What's the rest of the year look like for everyone? Checking my preorders and kick starters I have
Reef
5 min marvel
Hail hydra
Forbidden sky
Spell smashers
Endeavor age of sail
C02
Dice throne s2
Robin Hood
Fireball Island
If there isn't any delay :

- Lords of Hellas ( switched to 2 waves shipping, should get it next week )
- Deep Space D-6
- Nemesis
- Harry Potter from knightmodels
- UBOOT ( december, so I'm guessing it will become 2019 )
- THE 7th CONTINENT – What Goes Up, Must Come Down. ( Expansion )

Next year should be pretty empty thought.

jhawk6

Jan 7, 2018
Reef
5 min marvel
Hail hydra
Forbidden sky
Spell smashers
Endeavor age of sail
C02
Dice throne s2
Robin Hood
Fireball Island
Already bought or on the way by the end of the year:
Hail Hydra
Fireball Island
Shadowrun Sprawl Ops
5 minute dungeon expansion Curses Foiled Again
Nemesis

Looking closely at:
Vault of Dragons
Heroes of Terrinoth
Jurassic Park: Chaos Gene
Tower of Madness
Batman: Gotham Under Siege
Aliens: Another Glorious Day in the Corps!

Last edited:

JSR_Cube

Oct 27, 2017
My pre-orders/KS that should arrive probably by the end of the year:

- AGOT: Mother of Dragons expansion
- Feudum: Queen's Army
- Western Legends
- Root
- Dice Throne: Season Two
- Coimbra
- Teotihuacan: City of Gods
- Court of the Dead: Mourner's Call
- Architects of the West Kingdom
- Fireball Island

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I know some of these aren't 2018 but fuck it

Games I have backed KS

Batman Gotham City Chronicles (all in)
Fireball Island (all in)
Dinosaur Island + expansion + duelosaur
7th continent (all in)
Nemesis (all in)
Thunderstone quest back to the dungeon
One Night Ultimate Superheroes
Tiny Epic Zombies

Games I plan to buy

Path to carcosa mythos packs
Hail Hydra
Forbidden Desert & Sky

Probably more expansions for stuff I want to add to my collection like carcossone (for sure want 1 & 2), dixit (only have first expansion), and more I can't think of lol

Oct 25, 2017

- Western Legends
- Root
- Coimbra
- Fireball Island

I think I need to add coimbra to my list

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017

- Western Legends
- Root
- Coimbra
- Fireball Island

I got my sentinels big box in today, and I think that's my last expected 2018 release. Most Kickstarter I have for this year might not make it in 2018(sorcerer, tiny epic zombies) and my big ones are all next year

I think I'm okay with this

I'd love root and all that but I'll need to wait

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
played Downforce with friends last night and LOVED it

what a thrilling F1 game
Yeah i own conan and the mechanics are so good, but the... grossness of the Conan universe is a definite point against it. Batman is something way more universal and actually getting the kickstarter exclusive stuff means i'll have characters forever

what's up w people getting Batman? is the KS still available to purchase?

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Upcoming stuff for me:
- Aeon's End Legacy
- Dungeon Alliance adventure sets (still on Kickstarter now!)
- Spirit Island expansion KS happening in October

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
My copy of Hero's Crossing came last week, so the only other game I Kickstarted that's expected to arrive this year is Book It!

Trogdor will be coming next year.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
i really shouldn't drop the cash now, but Batman looks damn good

life is gonna get busy for literally a couple years... do these things generally get a second printing on KS?