KPrYUsa.png

4oQWWPB.jpg
ZFYWGwx.png

RaSaDp0.png

Last edited:

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
no, Vinyl is what was listened to before 8-track, which is what was listened to before cassette, which is what was listened to before CD, which is what was listened to before MP3s, which is what was listened to before streaming.
except, well, you know, the whole thing where there was that big resurgence of vinyl during recent years.

Speaking of resurgences...board games are bigger and far more prolific now than they ever have been....so...

And this one I just don't get...is it a comment on the expectation of boomer women to have everything done for them?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
*gives children a device that can play games, take pictures, watch cartoons, communicate to friends etc.*
"WHY THEY USE IT SO MUCH"

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This one rings true on Era. Dare mention I have a collection of around 1,600 albums on CD and its: "Get with the times Grandma" 😅
The board game one is especially funny because I doubt that artist could name more than two board games, Monopoly and maybe Scrabble. Never mind the thousands of board games played by modern hobbyists.

Absoludacrous

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The vinyl one is hilariously out of touch. My 12-year-old daughter already has more vinyls than I ever had.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoy popping into this thread every so often, getting my fill of "those darn boomers" and then leaving until the next time.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Yeah same lol. Whenever my parents visit me, my dad is pretty much on his phone the whole time.

I remember they used to tell me that I spent too much time on my computer growing up. Oh how the tables have changed.

It's not just our parents, it is when I am visited my in-laws or friends of friends (a BBQ, for example).

We don't have a dishwasher — "HOW do you wash your dishes?"
We only have one television in our house — " ... what do you do in the other rooms?"
We have books and vinyls on display — "why do you have them instead of using Spotify?"
I love LEGO and happily display the more complex sets — "when are you going to grow up?"
Only play on my Switch — "you wasted your youth playing those things..."

Yes, I did, says the fully qualified teacher to the shelf stacker at a supermarket!

While my parents don't use their phones too often it is, however, a bit amusing seeing them use their phones when my partner and I visit them, whilst we keep ours in our pocket (and on silent) the whole time.

petszk

Dec 20, 2019

I don't get this one. He's got her pregnant and in a last second attempt to get out of the wedding he's offering her his electronic equipment... in front of the priest conducting the service?

I'm guessing the creator of this saw the alliteration of "IPhone, iPad, iPod, iDo", and was determined to force it into a comic regardless of anything else.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I kinda like "go read a book" ones just for being amusingly quaint with some degree of a positive message, even though the people drawing these comics and their audience probably have no idea that just about every piece of modern internet technology can, in fact, let you read books.

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
This is the weirdest and most anti-funny one. Like the slang there isn't even generationally specific, it's simply inhuman and completely imagined by someone who doesn't go outside. and then the slang they do imagine is the 20 year old meme of a chuck norris joke, which would likely make these people gen xers? nothing about this adds up

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
This is the weirdest and most anti-funny one. Like the slang there isn't even generationally specific, it's simply inhuman and completely imagined by someone who doesn't go outside. and then the slang they do imagine is the 20 year old meme of a chuck norris joke, which would likely make these people gen xers? nothing about this adds up

It wouldn't surprise me if the "In your face sucka" was meant to evoke Mr. T too. In that sense it kinda is specific, but it's specific to the kind of 90s kid who grew up with 2000s early-internet memes, which was itself baked with 70s/80s nostalgia.

In other words at-their-prime Channel Awesome fans. :P

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
I have kids and parents/in-laws in these demographics. This flavor of condescension is funny. Kids generally love books. My wife is a teacher. Library day once a week is like mini Christmas. Like boomers are never on Facebook or blowing money on shitty mobile games.

I must be old. This is basically every morning.
Also, schools choosing to adopt tablets is a decision made by the boomers who run the schools.

Oct 30, 2017
I love how out of touch with reality all these cartoonists are.

The kids with books type will never cease to piss me off. My students really miss having books. They're tired of electronics. Quite a few said they're sick of reading on the computer, even though they have access to all sorts of literature.
I actually had more kids turn in book orders this spring than I can recall in the last few years. I ordered some books for each kid as well and I don't remember seeing students so engrossed in the act of reading.

Boomer comics can fuck off- except that one up there with the guy and his wife. Absolutely no lies detected there. That artist speaks a truth that transcends most generational boundaries.

Rolento

Oct 25, 2017
Why do most of these share an aesthetic?

Everything just feels like sunday comics that were scanned. This dosn't make me feel old, but makes me feel like the people writing these are old.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Benny G is at it again with just a stunning grasp of literature.

If i didn't know this was parody, i would assume it's parody. It's just amazing how much this all falls apart. I would *love* to hear him try to explain this comic in a way that A: makes sense and B: paints the picture he thinks it does.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If i didn't know this was parody, i would assume it's parody. It's just amazing how much this all falls apart. I would *love* to hear him try to explain this comic in a way that A: makes sense and B: paints the picture he thinks it does.

He did. Not gonna link the tweet but here's the text:

Ok I need to talk slowly so the leftist twits can understand

1. Yes, I realize that the Don Quixote character from Cervantes' novel attacked imaginary enemies as represented by windmills, but Donald Trump's Quixote enemies are not imagined. I read the book, did you?

2. This is a twist on a classic metaphor. Did anyone even LOOK at the cartoon the "windmill" is running away and knows he has been caught. Trump is charging forward in favor of everyone's free speech including Democrats.

Oct 25, 2017
He did. Not gonna link the tweet but here's the text:

Ok I need to talk slowly so the leftist twits can understand

1. Yes, I realize that the Don Quixote character from Cervantes' novel attacked imaginary enemies as represented by windmills, but Donald Trump's Quixote enemies are not imagined. I read the book, did you?

2. This is a twist on a classic metaphor. Did anyone even LOOK at the cartoon the "windmill" is running away and knows he has been caught. Trump is charging forward in favor of everyone's free speech including Democrats.

Then it's not a good metaphor. If you have to go out of your way to explain it like that, you failed as a cartoonist. Granted, Ben failed as a cartoonist long before this, but still.