• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I talked to their chat and he apparently changed my digital delivery address to the US and it appeared as $2.99

Bought all three! Thanks again

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I recently got back into reading this year and I started with the Stormlight Archive (which may have been a mistake given how long the books are), but I really like this series. I just finished book 2.

The characters seemed a bit tropey at first, but book 2 really helped flesh everyone out.

The only negative thing I can think of is that the only way I'll ever see a proper adaptation is in animated form. Movies are far too short (a single book would need to be split into several films) and I don't think live-action television has the budget to support a world so alien looking.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I don't mind her that much so far in this book. Just finished part 1.

I'm just on chapter 5, and, well, even on the first book my opinion on her switched from hate to being fine quite some times, so let's see. Still, it's an interesting world, and that plus some of the other characters make it worth reading. M-Bot is great in this.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Just finished. Overall I thought it was the better book. Not a fan of the ending though.

I thought Brandon was better than that type of cliffhanger

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm continuing to make progress in Mistborn.. man, the last 2 chapters of part 2, I couldn't stop reading
It takes a while (and it doesn't help that I've been reading just half the book in approximately 2 months because of studying and an exam) but it feels like it's coming into its own now

I'm really loving this magic system

Lirlond

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished. Overall I thought it was the better book. Not a fan of the ending though.

I thought Brandon was better than that type of cliffhanger
I mean, it /is/ YA fiction.

Really liked Starsight, hopefully we see some Defending Elysium shenanigans soon!

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Greene is legit. He's super enthusiastic but he also knows where to draw a line for objective criticism and his tastes are more or less exactly like mine.

He is pretty much the reason I started reading The Wheel of Time. Got tired of him having so many videos I couldn't watch. Him and Merphy Napier are both really great, but Merphy's a bit different in content and more varied.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
I mean, it /is/ YA fiction.

Really liked Starsight, hopefully we see some Defending Elysium shenanigans soon!

Well he specifically talks in his podcast of how you should NEVER do that type of cliffhanger and how it is bad writing.

Good Cliffhanger = You open the door. See what is on the other side. Then you cut the scene.

Bad Cliffhanger = You open the door. Then you cut the scene.

This was squarely in the second camp.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
He is pretty much the reason I started reading The Wheel of Time. Got tired of him having so many videos I couldn't watch. Him and Merphy Napier are both really great, but Merphy's a bit different in content and more varied.

Yeah, I found about him a couple weeks ago, and his love for the series convinced me to read Wheel of Time right after I finish Starsight (which should be today or tomorrow?). I always was curious, because Brandon wrote the last three books, but reading 11 other books before that sounded like a daunting task.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I found about him a couple weeks ago, and his love for the series convinced me to read Wheel of Time right after I finish Starsight (which should be today or tomorrow?). I always was curious, because Brandon wrote the last three books, but reading 11 other books before that sounded like a daunting task.

Wheel of Time is definitely daunting. It's a long series of long books with a massive, massive cast of characters.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
[Sourpuss mode] I watched some reviews of this DG, I think of Witcher books, and honestly, IIRC he came off very superficial - full of "It's awesome", "I liked it" but didn't really delved into them in any depth.
Well, at least if I like the first few books.
That's a ... healthy attitude to have.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
[Sourpuss mode] I watched some reviews of this DG, I think of Witcher books, and honestly, IIRC he came off very superficial - full of "It's awesome", "I liked it" but didn't really delved into them in any depth.

If they were his reviews, unless its his newer one from a week ago or so, I think they're a fair bit older and he's definitely gotten better at describing his likes and dislikes and why he likes a book and what he gets down on. I still think he doesn't come around great on describing or quantifying his ratings or "scores" for reads or just how much he likes a book, but honestly reviews weren't really what I came to his channel for. His side videos or his more project videos are mainly what I've been a fan of.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

That's a ... healthy attitude to have.

To be fair, I didn't watch all of his videos, so I don't know if he got better or anything. However, his most recent reviews tend to explore the works in some dept, or at least develop why he thinks something did or didn't work. He even talks about qualities of things he doesn't like - like Kingkiller, where he doesn't like the plot and Kvote, but acknowledges Patrick's writing ability.

But yeah, some times he lets his passions talk a bit too loud. Then again, that's what convinced me to finally give Wheel of Time a chance.

And yeah, I don't want to drop a series this size after only the first book - I almost did that with the Grisha Trilogy, but thankfully I had read the Six of Crows duology before. However, if things don't get at least good by book 3 or 4, yeah, I will search for something that fits my tastes a bit better.

Yeah just started and think I'm going to read it in 3 book spurts

Yeah, I'll see how it flows, but I'll do it either in one or two book intervals with something smaller, maybe non-fantasy, between.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, I didn't watch all of his videos, so I don't know if he got better or anything. However, his most recent reviews tend to explore the works in some dept, or at least develop why he thinks something did or didn't work. He even talks about qualities of things he doesn't like - like Kingkiller, where he doesn't like the plot and Kvote, but acknowledges Patrick's writing ability.

But yeah, some times he lets his passions talk a bit too loud. Then again, that's what convinced me to finally give Wheel of Time a chance.

And yeah, I don't want to drop a series this size after only the first book - I almost did that with the Grisha Trilogy, but thankfully I had read the Six of Crows duology before. However, if things don't get at least good by book 3 or 4, yeah, I will search for something that fits my tastes a bit better.

Yeah, I'll see how it flows, but I'll do it either in one or two book intervals with something smaller, maybe non-fantasy, between.
I think that'll be the best way, so much stuff to read hard to dedicate yourself a whole year+ on one series.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm on book 5 of WoT right now and I've been trying to read something different between every other book or so. I get burned out too much and don't really appreciate the series if I just read straight through.

Only problem is when the "books" in between end up being really long reads in and of themselves. I completely reread the Mistborn books in between 3 and 4 of Wheel of Time then after book 4 I read all of Worm which I think is as long as or longer than all the SOIF books combined. I'm not good at picking side reads.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

I meant it ... the other way around. As in, give it a fair shake but if issues arise, don't give in to the sunken cost fallacy, don't ignore the problems in the hope it gets better. Don't end up like ... me. Washed up on the shores of book 8 and very cranky about the whole affair !

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Only problem is when the "books" in between end up being really long reads in and of themselves. I completely reread the Mistborn books in between 3 and 4 of Wheel of Time then after book 4 I read all of Worm which I think is as long as or longer than all the SOIF books combined. I'm not good at picking side reads.

Yeah, I know the pain, hahahaha! Hell, between Way of the Kings and Words of Radiance I read the three Mistborn Era 2 books - short reads, yeah, but since it's by the same author, not that good to cleanse the palate.

What I'm trying to do now is to read something from other genres, or, since english is not my first language, something in other languages to shake things up a bit. This has been working better, but I still do things like re-reading The Silmarillion as a side-read, at times.

I meant it ... the other way around. As in, give it a fair shake but if issues arise, don't give in to the sunken cost fallacy, don't ignore the problems in the hope it gets better. Don't end up like ... me. Washed up on the shores of book 8 and very cranky about the whole affair !

Ohhh, yeah. I was burned by that a few times, even by authors I like, but at least now I learnt my lesson, I guess. No reason to read it past the first few books if I don't like it. That said, since it is a big series, unless I find absolutely nothing I like about the first book, I'll try to read at least a couple books before dropping it.

(That said, I think in your place, if I could stomach up to the 8th book, I WOULD read a summary of the remaining Jordan books and then read the Sanderson ones, so maybe I'm not immune to that, haha)

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm a little past the half way point of Mistborn.

I love the world and the magic system it presents, it has a lot of interesting ideas and the plot is intriguing but I also started with this book because I wasn't really a book reader before this one (only bits here and there) and I've heard this was a good place to start.
I bought the Stormlight Archive books when they were on sale, I'm wondering if the first Mistborn book offers any closure and I could put the series aside for some time and go into Way of Kings?

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Book 1 offers some closure, yes. You could do the Stormlight books between the Mistborn books, but that would probably be a bit tiring. I'd read the three Mistborn books first, then the Stormlight books later, it's a bit less confusing this way I guess.

Also, if you can, read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Oh yeah, I finished Starsight last week, and I get Wafflinson's criticism. Yeah, it is the better book for sure, but the final scene could be a bit better. At least let us see what's behind the portal!

Anyway, hope this is an 2021 book. Hopefully Brandon also finds some time to finish the next two Skyward books, along with Mistborn Era 2 and Alcatraz, between books. While I love most of Brandon's new projects, it's time to close some of those, heh.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just got into the series this year so I guess I can deal with a years wait.

Who am I kidding, I want this now damn it, why does it have to be a year. :(

You could always read other Cosmere works I guess, hahaha. Unless you read it all already, then yeah.

I think Wheel of Time will keep me distracted until then. I'm at one third of the first book, and liking it so far, even if a few parts felt like they are *heavily* inspired by LotR. It is a very interesting mid point between classic and modern fantasy.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
You could always read other Cosmere works I guess, hahaha. Unless you read it all already, then yeah.

I think Wheel of Time will keep me distracted until then. I'm at one third of the first book, and liking it so far, even if a few parts felt like they are *heavily* inspired by LotR. It is a very interesting mid point between classic and modern fantasy.
Only read the Archives so far, might get into Mistborn soon. I still have the last 4 books of WoT to tide me over as well until then as well. As for the LotR similarities, yeah they are cool but don't get too attached. The doors blow wide open by the 2nd book and leave em behind for something far more original. You're gonna love the series if the classic and modern mix is enough of a hook for you, it gets dangerously close to essentially being a 17th Century High Fantasy series.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Only read the Archives so far, might get into Mistborn soon. I still have the last 4 books of WoT to tide me over as well until then as well. As for the LotR similarities, yeah they are cool but don't get too attached. The doors blow wide open by the 2nd book and leave em behind for something far more original. You're gonna love the series if the classic and modern mix is enough of a hook for you, it gets dangerously close to essentially being a 17th Century High Fantasy series.

Oh, I *expect* the similarities to disappear little by little. They work well as a hook, but if they continue, it would feel just derivative - and really, I don't think that's the case, the book is already deviating a lot from that.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Oh, I *expect* the similarities to disappear little by little. They work well as a hook, but if they continue, it would feel just derivative - and really, I don't think that's the case, the book is already deviating a lot from that.
Yeah they don't continue and it doesnt get derivative at all. The world building and general lore is some of the most unique stuff out there.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
A developer for the recently announced Godfall for PC/PS5 said in an interview that it's inspired by The Stormlight Archive among other things

PSLS: WHAT WERE SOME OF THE INSPIRATIONS BEHIND GODFALL'S LOOTER-SLASHER GAMEPLAY? ON PAPER IT SEEMS LIKE A MIX OF DIABLO, BORDERLANDS, DESTINY, DARKSIDERS, AND PERHAPS A FEW OTHERS THROWN IN THE MIX FOR GOOD MEASURE.
KEITH LEE: Brandon Sanderson's ongoing The Stormlight Archive series, Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy and Isaac Asimov's Foundation series sets the tone and texture of our fantasy world. The long-running Monster Hunter series with their diverse weapon class playstyles ranging from fast combos to more deliberate play has always drawn us together as a team.

Read more at https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...play-keith-lee-interview/#rsevp4ETE37zOjUm.99

Neat detail ;p

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A developer for the recently announced Godfall for PC/PS5 said in an interview that it's inspired by The Stormlight Archive among other things

Read more at https://www.playstationlifestyle.ne...play-keith-lee-interview/#rsevp4ETE37zOjUm.99

Neat detail ;p

good lord it's like they looked into my psyche and picked the biggest buttons to push. looking forward to seeing how this one turns out at the very least, especially as I can't bring myself to look forward to Diablo anymore.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
If anyone really liked Sandersons Reckoners series, I can not recommend the web fiction serial titled Worm by Wildbow. Finished reading it a week or so ago and have been reading the sequel and I can't really stop comparing it to Sanderson's style of world building.

Worm I would say is kind of like Breaking Bad meets Super Heroes but written in the world building style of like a Stormlight Archive, and when I say I would compare it to Breaking Bad I whole heartedly mean in quality of the story. The first couple arcs feel a little YA'ish but it grows and turns in to it's own thing very quickly.

I had kept hearing about it for so long but just kind of lumped it in with fan fiction and stuff of that nature, but I was completely wrong to hold off on it. Can't recommend it enough.

I'd also kind of compare it to manga in style of story telling. It's released in a weekly fashion and is very long form in the way it's telling a story, but it's a case where it doesn't just sprawl out into random tangents it's definitely telling one very long story with individual arcs.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I'm at page 510 of the first Mistborn book
I want to find a time where I can read the rest of the book at once, but I'm also kind of dreading finishing it lol

crimzonflame

Oct 25, 2017
Finally finished Edgedacer and Oathbringer!!!

Lift and Adolin are probably my favourite characters.

Now I guess it's on to Misborn.

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Adolin is one of my favorites too! There are lots of cool things that can be made with him in the future if Brandon doesn't turn him into a knight radiant. He's been one of the badass ones the whole life, but with the knights coming back, he'll have to learn to live being just... another normal guy, relatively speaking, lol.

I dunno what are people's opinions on Lift, but most people seem to either love or hate her. I'm on the second group for sure, she feels too forced to me, but I can totally see how some character development - or knowing her backstory - can at least fix some of that for me.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I like Lift just fine. There's a large, vocal segment of haters out there, mostly for the usual reasons, but honestly I don't think there's much about the character that makes her all that polarizing. Just some light comic relief.

And yeah, Adolin is great on a lot of levels.

Oct 25, 2017
Finished the first Mistborn book this evening.

To me it started off a little slow but was still intriguing. Then I reached a point where the hooks were in and I had to continue on. Read the final 60% or so in five days haha.

My first Brandon Sanderson book too!

Can't wait to get started on the next one :)

Oct 25, 2017
Lift is cool and basically the little kid having an awesome power fantasy but there is more to her that she keeps hidden which could help her become even more awesome.

Adolin is a very strong 2nd place and would easily be number 1 if my current number 1 wasn't so fucking OP.

But still the moment (Words of Radiance and Beyond Spoilers)
he straight up fucking merc'd Sadeas is when he solidified that ranking. And I think i have said it before in here but that was one the most cathartic experiences i have ever gotten reading that series.

Everything else is just gravy right now

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Finished the first Mistborn book this evening.

To me it started off a little slow but was still intriguing. Then I reached a point where the hooks were in and I had to continue on. Read the final 60% or so in five days haha.

My first Brandon Sanderson book too!

Can't wait to get started on the next one :)
I'm on page 589 right now. I wanted to read the last 100 pages in one session but couldn't find the time...

I knew things weren't going to end well for Kelsier, but his death still hit me hard.
I'm a tad embarrassed to admit but I cried twice, once he died and when they found his letters in the wearhouse. I hope it wasn't just me lol

DioMuller

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yeah, to be fair, Oathbringer already mellowed my opinion on Lift quite a bit. She still feels forced, kinda like an adult trying to be a hip kid, but, without spoiling anything, I feel that there's more to that, which makes her bearable.

Her interactions with Nightblood, a character which I love, also helped a lot.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No one mentioned this years State of the Sanderson yet?

www.brandonsanderson.com

State of the Sanderson 2019 | Brandon Sanderson

Introduction Welcome, everyone, to our final State of the Sanderson for the decade! If you’re not familiar with these posts, each December I take a look bac ...

I'll be honest here all, starting to get hard to read year after year "yeah I really wanted/thought/planned to do this one thing, it's happening next year instead, I think, if this other thing doesn't get in the way first."
I mean, yeah Stormlight 4 is coming... in 11 months. Wax and Wayne 4 should be up next finally but OH WAIT STARSIGHT MIGHT HAVE TO COME FIRST. Then the long list of minor/secondary projects we've been hearing about for years that I'm at a point where I do t even want to hear them mentioned again until they are being published.

I am fully aware of his stated need to do "refresher" projects to keep him from getting bored and the writing stake but at some point you have to start wondering if he's just burning too many candles.