• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you still in love with Breath of the Wild after all this time?

• Yes and it deserved the praise it got.

Votes: 2,277 74.9%
  • No, the love has slowly faded away.

Votes: 127 4.2%
  • No, never liked the game in the first place.

Votes: 276 9.1%
  • The game was pretty good but I was never hyped for it.

Votes: 359 11.8%

• Total voters

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Always a pleasure to see poll results like that to be swiftly reminded that the vocal minority who hate on the game are just that: a vocal minority.

The game is a modern classic and will carry the same legacy OoT does within the industry.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
One of the greatest games Nintendo has ever designed. Can't wait for what they have next in store for the Zelda series.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty overrated tbh. Not a fan of the weapon durability, the four/five replacement dungeons are not great, and the shrines are not that good. Removal of some key weapons really sucks too.

L176

Jan 10, 2019
It my favorite game of all time together with The Witcher 3. The first 50 hours or so are just pure magic.

Oct 25, 2017
It's an amazing game, but my problem is just that the ending is kinda whatever(final boss is wayyy too easy) and the enemy variety is... not very good(to be fair many enemies count like many enemies from other games, they did a great job with what they have in the game). I'm also not a fan of the whole memory stuff, I like the idea but the execution was super disappointing.

But it's with no doubt in my mind a fantastic game, I just love to explore.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Still damn good. When I wanna chill for a half hour, I still fire it up on the Switch. I finally have a gaming PC, I might as well try it on cemu.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
I respect the hell out of it but I think it's really flawed.

The next Zelda could be the best ever if they fix those issues.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Masterpiece. Game of TWO generations. Never forget, BTW is a Wii U game. If anything, the subpar open world games we've gotten in the subsequent 2 years on much more powerful hardware are a testament to its greatness. If you weren't convinced then, you should be now.

Dec 20, 2017
In my top three for the generation. Put in over a hundred hours and turns out I really didn't see much of the map. One of the three Zelda games I've ever finished, the others being Ocarina and Wind Waker.

CeroMiedo

Oct 26, 2017
Same for me, still trying to get through Horizon because there's a lot I like about it, but as an open world game it just does everything I do not like.

The only open world games I've truly liked are Breath of the Wild and MGSV, and they both have intricate systems and huge amounts player choice, without being bogged down by leveling up or skill trees (although MGSV has the mother base stuff). I play Breath of the Wild without even touching the map and I keep the HUD in pro mode because the game does such a good job of guiding you to points of interest with dialogue and the environment. I can't do that in Horizon or the Witcher 3.
I still remember the first time playing xenoblade 2, another large game with similar art direction. When I started exploring Gormott for the first time I immediately jumped out on a high area thinking I was gonna climbing to another side. Only after my party died a pointless death I realized that "oh wait, I can't really do all of those shit in this one, this isn't botw"

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Always a pleasure to see poll results like that to be swiftly reminded that the vocal minority who hate on the game are just that: a vocal minority.

The game is a modern classic and will carry the same legacy OoT does within the industry.
I really hope there wasn't ever any contingent that legitimately thought people were souring on this game lol.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's really how you can interact with the world that makes it shine. They physics system is incredible. It's a literal playground and your player character can interact in a variety of ways.

But your summary really does as disservice to what made the game special open world wise.

Well it was mostly my experience, i guess it was most of the time i spent in the game.

It was ambitious, but to be honest, the map was too big and empty, precisely one of the things people here tend to criticize about this kind of games.

The lack of memorable towns and quests, the forgettable shrines. It really is a shame because zelda's lore is so beautiful. And it doesn't shine at all on empty parages and the lack of strong character and narrative presence.

To be honest, you can make this game without any of the Zelda lore and it wouldn't change that much. The base is interesting but it doesn't at all showcases TLOZ's vibe.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Well it was mostly my experience, i guess it was most of the time i spent in the game.

It was ambitious, but to be honest, the map was too big and empty, precisely one of the things people here tend to criticize about this kind of games.

The lack of memorable towns and quests, the forgettable shrines. It really is a shame because zelda's lore is so beautiful. And it doesn't shine at all on empty parages and the lack of strong character and narrative presence.

To be honest, you can make this game without any of the Zelda lore and it wouldn't change that much. The base is interesting but it doesn't at all showcases TLOZ's vibe.
There is definitely a schism. I loved the empty world because it was realistic yet fantastical. So many little nooks and crannies.

Hibiki

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't care much for it then or now, but it is impressive what they pulled off with it so I commend it.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It was too aimless for me to enjoy. Well made game but I just do not get the hype. I thought Mario was the better big Nintendo exclusive that year.

DXB-KNIGHT

Oct 27, 2017
A game that vertically shattered my expectations of open world games. Open sky indeed.
Now they need to build on that 🔥

Greatest Ever

Banned
Aug 25, 2018

I agree. The good moments stuck out so much because they were really good, but those were mostly the highly curated areas or quests. Otherwise the emptiness of it was just boring. A smaller world or not curated areas would be better.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Played through it twice, first on Wii U and then on Switch. About 150 some-odd hours each time (the second playthrough included The Champion's Ballad). Thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played my first time. Felt it again on my second. Simply one of the best games ever made.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I can understand why some people dislike it or do not consider it the greatest game of all time.

That being said, I absolutely adore this game and fully believe, overall, it is the best game on the switch. It is also one of the greatest of all time. I thought I would hate the weapon breaks and stuff, but it also adds a very much-needed depth to the gameplay. Honestly, if the weapon durability aspect was not in play, I think the fighting gameplay would be awful.

Orbit

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
Played through it twice, first on Wii U and then on Switch. About 150 some-odd hours each time (the second playthrough included The Champion's Ballad). Thought it was one of the best games I'd ever played my first time. Felt it again on my second. Simply one of the best games ever made.

Did you notice any big differences in the versions? Was one better than the other?

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm replaying it now. Game is as incredible now as it was the first time
Edit: I'm playing on master mode this time around

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
I enjoyed it plenty but it's not even close to the best Zelda game and based on it's success and some interviews after the game was released, it makes me worried about the future of my favoritw game series.

Nov 28, 2017
technically speaking, i can't believe the game was allowed to be released in the state it's in. horrible fps, janky, and looks like a late-era gamecube game.

overall speaking, i can see how nintendo-first fans would like it, people who have possibly never played an open world game before, but in the grand scale it's middling in that regard.

Inspirit

May 29, 2018
tumblr_inline_ofoijeTP1l1swbcbd_500.gif

That's how I feel about it.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The glaring flaws continue to be overlooked because it was Nintendo and there's no competition for the "official" titles.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Really had fun with it, but the world felt empty at times and I still wish it had traditional Zelda dungeons.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I only enjoyed it because of the new console hype. Tried playing it again a few times but couldn't get past the tutorial area. I thought I'd enjoy it much more because, on paper, it sounds right up my alley.

No story, boring characters, empty world, no real dungeons,...etc. The world is empty and it feels very artificial. Animals vanish in front of my eyes and the world just doesn't feel like I could live in it. So many deal breakers for me. There was a sense of exploration that I loved though. I feel like I stopped enjoying games with no story and characters.

I know the game is amazing but maybe I'm not the target audience this time. My favorite Zelda game is Wind Waker by the way.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
A fantastic game that deserved all of the hype it got. It wasn't perfect, but it was very, very good. It's something I look back on playing fondly and would like to play again when I get a Switch.

It may be the best Zelda game.