• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 50969

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 17, 2018
It's kind of mad that we didn't tie MP salaries to Brexit, because we all know a man/woman work better when their pay is on the line. :p

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
I'm always not surprised when they applaud the usual reactionary Brexit bullshit, but like, applauding JRM's comments about concentration camps was yikes central. There needs to be a separate QT aftershow that fact checks everything. Bruce just nodding along to his bullshit.

I saw that bit. It was utterly sickening. And of course, Rees-Mogg was just making it up.
But as a posh-voiced old man, all the other old men believed him over the uppity young women.

I had a quick google and the mortality rate in the Boer concentration camps in a single year was about 25% (about 25,000 of about 100,000 prisoners).
10% of the total (i.e. inside and outside the camps) South African Boer population died, and 50% of the total under-16 population (a large majority of the deths in camps were children).

I'm sure Glasgow in the 1900s was a bit shit, but I doubt it was that bad. I think the average Glaswegian would be expected to survive for more than 4 years. And no one culled half the under-16s.

Rees-Mogg even had the gall to say the British were interning them for their own protection during the war. Protection from whom? The British burnt down their farms and rounded them up into camps like fucking cattle.
You don't get to say, "Of course, things were different back then and we can't apply 2019 morals to the early 20th century!"

Last edited:

BetaPeter

Nov 9, 2017
The Boer war era camps were basically a prototype for Auschwitz. Mogg is just a self-aggrandizing ignoramus, along with Boris; there's possibly an ideology there but it definitely takes second fiddle to the allure of celebrity.
I think it's pretty fitting that they used Have I Got News For You to raise their profile. They get to share that tactic with Jimy Saville

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Labour and Tory MPs are in talks for setting up a new centrist party.

Although the headline makes it sound like Labour and Tory rebels are joining forces under one banner, the first paragraph clarifies it as:

Intense discussions are taking place at Westminster that could lead to the emergence of a new centrist party consisting of six or more disaffected anti-Brexit Labour MPs along with the involvement of some Conservatives and the backing of the Liberal Democrats.

Basically from reading the whole text it looks like the usual suspects will jump ship from Labour, sympathetic Tories will say "good on you mate" and then probably remain in the Conservative party because that's what they do, and the Lib Dems will start courting this new party for a merger.

Labour strategists are apparently pretty relaxed about it, and I can't say I blame them. Some "problem" elements show themselves the door, and then when the next round of elections come there's a chance they're utterly humiliated if a Labour candidate more on-board with the leadership sweeps up their seat.

8bit

Oct 27, 2017
I saw that bit. It was utterly sickening. And of course, Rees-Mogg was just making it up.
But as a posh-voiced old man, all the other old men believed him over the uppity young women.

He's 49! I'm 2 years younger and Glaswegian so probably close to my death bed but he is such a fucking wanker I am determined to outlive him.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Although the headline makes it sound like Labour and Tory rebels are joining forces under one banner, the first paragraph clarifies it as:

Basically from reading the whole text it looks like the usual suspects will jump ship from Labour, sympathetic Tories will say "good on you mate" and then probably remain in the Conservative party because that's what they do, and the Lib Dems will start courting this new party for a merger.

Labour strategists are apparently pretty relaxed about it, and I can't say I blame them. Some "problem" elements show themselves the door, and then when the next round of elections come there's a chance they're utterly humiliated if a Labour candidate more on-board with the leadership sweeps up their seat.

Much like the Tory rebellion, I'll believe it when I see it, it's been talked about with nothing behind it now for too long

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

Wow, a handful of tossers, let the realignment begin.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
It's people who have been in Westminster too long, just cross the floor to the libdems, this rebranding nonsense is a waste of time. The answer is not another new party that gets buggered by first past the post.
Also people don't want a centrist party. They may want hard remain but very few are centrists.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
It's people who have been in Westminster too long, just cross the floor to the libdems, this rebranding nonsense is a waste of time. The answer is not another new party that gets buggered by first past the post.

Crossing the floor and actively joining them is actually a pretty bad idea: I suspect many potential voters are still turned off by their willingness to support a Tory government. How is even a soft Labour MP going to justify joining them when they're led by an ex-business secretary who aided and abetted their worst impulses?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Jesus, of all the things to say it's the no longer really bad word that he goes for.

I get that the libdems have a bad reputation due to the coalition, but I don't think Labour MPs joining forces with tory ones can say much about it. The libdems managed to pull off winning in tory areas and appealing to some Labour type areas, I don't see that being repeated by a new party that people can see through.

Lo-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
I get that the libdems have a bad reputation due to the coalition, but I don't think Labour MPs joining forces with tory ones can say much about it. The libdems managed to pull off winning in tory areas and appealing to some Labour type areas, I don't see that being repeated by a new party that people can see through.

If they join a new party, they aren't joining forces with "Tory" ones. But yeah, branding yet another centrist party will be tough.

There was indeed a time, as you indicate, when the Lib Dems could take Westminister seats from both tribes. But being junior in a coalition that destroys your top two manifesto matters (PR and tuition fees)? Yikes.

Their performance after 2010, at least at that level, shows it's really too soon to use the brand nationally because they aren't out of the crater of lying. One of the seats you're talking about is arguably Sheffield Hallam, a Tory seat before 1997, that went to Labour in 2017 because it was held by a liar named Nick Clegg in the interim. (That image problem might also be why The Guardian article on this speculated on a merger of the Lib Dems into a new party, not the other way around.)

I suspect the thing that might make Labour think more carefully about how much this hurts is Jeremy Corbyn's own performance. His approval ratings are ten points BELOW Theresa May's. That's bonkers. People should be screaming at HQ at their fate. Momentum's supporters are less likely to turn on him, to be sure. But Labour voters outside of it, and younger people disproportionately affected by Brexit...?

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Much like the Tory rebellion, I'll believe it when I see it, it's been talked about with nothing behind it now for too long
I have no doubt some of them might get cold feet when push comes to shove. At some point there will be an element of doubt whether they could hold their seat for this new party, and fretting over the sheer humiliation of losing it to a Corbyn-friendly Labour candidate.

Some are too far gone to turn back though, IMO. Luciana Berger especially, she's absolutely checked out mentally on being a Labour MP, and her CLP are looking to remove her. Admittedly some of that is down to antisemitic crankism which should 100% be rebuffed and rooted out, but there's a convincing case to be made she no longer represents the interests of her CLP. I say convincing, it's more of a slam dunk tbh. She doesn't want Labour in Government in its current state.

Wow, a handful of tossers, let the realignment begin.
None of them will be missed, and that's probably why Labour strategists are so relaxed about the whole thing. It's hardly the SDP all over again.

Chuka can disappear into the private sector for the rest of time for all I care.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Knew it. Outright existential fear is going to be dismissed on the grounds of presumed petulance.

Fuck Theresa May, and Jeremy Vine.

lemonhat

Dec 6, 2018
How long have these MPs been threatening breaking away? I really wish they'd hurry up and get lost as they're not doing the Labour party or the fight for progressive politics in this country any good. Then they'll find out how much the public actually care about them. Of course they know that as soon as they actually jump they'll have no chance of holding their seat because the Labour name is the only reason they have it. These MPs are basically already irrelevant, with little influence on the direction the party now takes, they just happen to still have some friends in the media who are happy to repeat whatever drivel they come out with. And after all this time none of the MPs threatening to split have really been clear on what kind of policies they stand for and what policies of the current party they're against. Unless they just want a single issue anti-brexit party - and why any such party would want the likes of Chuka involved given his wildly hypocritical and contradictory statements over the years is beyond me. It was only a couple years ago following the referendum he was saying we should leave the single market, abandon free movement and that any second referendum would be completely wrong. Now he presents himself as a super principled remainer (seemingly just so he can further undermine the leadership). He's little more than an opportunist with a grotesque sense of entitlement who says whatever he thinks will further his career. Like so many of the centrists. I doubt he'll actually leave though so I hope Labour just deselect him ASAP.

Some are too far gone to turn back though, IMO. Luciana Berger especially, she's absolutely checked out mentally on being a Labour MP, and her CLP are looking to remove her. Admittedly some of that is down to antisemitic crankism which should 100% be rebuffed and rooted out, but there's a convincing case to be made she no longer represents the interests of her CLP. I say convincing, it's more of a slam dunk tbh. She doesn't want Labour in Government in its current state.

The antisemitism she has faced is clearly unacceptable, but her constituency party has never been fond of her for very good reasons it turns out. She never had any business representing the constituency. She had no links to the area and was parachuted in to it in 2010. She even briefly lived in the home of the then MP for the constituency whose partner was the head of the selection process in the local party. And then she was selected for it. She's an example of how New Labour corrupted the democratic procedures of the party, trying to remould it in their image, riding roughshod over local party members and making sure to keep the left out. And now she doesn't support the current leadership going as far as to say she doesn't even want Labour in power (so I guess she'd prefer the Tories stay in power then. So more austerity, brexit insanity, destroying the NHS, racist immigration policies that lead to black British citizens being deported and countless others having their lives ruined, more Grenfell's, universal credit, food banks, attacks on the poor, unemployed and disabled, increases in racist hate crimes, continuing housing crisis, further evisceration of adult education and local authority budgets, etc. All because she's not keen on Jeremy Corbyn even though he has consistently stood against the heinous barbarism of the Tories). I can't imagine how angry and frustrated the local party members who have been campaigning against this disgusting government must be and are now being accused of bullying her in trying to hold a no confidence vote in her as their MP. Berger needs to fuck right off.

Oct 26, 2017

I had a quick google and the mortality rate in the Boer concentration camps in a single year was about 25% (about 25,000 of about 100,000 prisoners).
10% of the total (i.e. inside and outside the camps) South African Boer population died, and 50% of the total under-16 population (a large majority of the deths in camps were children).

I'm sure Glasgow in the 1900s was a bit shit, but I doubt it was that bad. I think the average Glaswegian would be expected to survive for more than 4 years. And no one culled half the under-16s.

Rees-Mogg even had the gall to say the British were interning them for their own protection during the war. Protection from whom? The British burnt down their farms and rounded them up into camps like fucking cattle.
You don't get to say, "Of course, things were different back then and we can't apply 2019 morals to the early 20th century!"

And the only figures we really know are for white South Africans. The Brits didn't even bother counting the dead black South Africans. Everything he said was a lie. But it was just allowed to go on. We need to remove rich posh people from politics. There's something in Brits' lizard brains that just lets them get hypnotized by a posh accent speaking shite.

re: anyone resigning the whip or leaving for a centrist party - they should hold a by-election immediately. See if it's really them the constituents want. I'd imagine it isn't so they probably won't.

Spaghetti

Dec 2, 2017
Berger being parachuted into her constituency like that doesn't surprise me, but y'know, that's politics. I don't think that'll ever stop happening. A good local MP doesn't always have to be, well, local. Mine isn't, but he's very active in the area and community-oriented.

There are cases of a clear disconnect between a constituency and their MP, though - and Berger is definitely one of them. Liverpool Wavertree has something like a 30% child poverty rate (which a Tory Government has provably increased), so working against getting Labour into power is definitely not going to win her much support, and it's no surprise there are legitimate reasons her CLP want her binned because of it.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I'd definitely at least give a hypothetical centre ground party a try, provided they're anti Brexit
No way I'd ever vote Tory and I hate how Labour is the default opposition given how utterly shit they are.

Last edited:

RellikSK

Nov 1, 2017
59% of the population are open to voting for their idea of a centre party.

I could vote for a centre party that is anti-brexit and pro-nationalising the railways. Doubt that would happen though.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47267901

British regional airline Flybmi has cancelled all its flights and filed for administration, the airline has announced.

"Current trading and future prospects have also been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe."

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FlyBMI have just gone belly up.

Current trading and future prospects have also been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe and lack of confidence around bmi's ability to continue flying between destinations in Europe.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
As much as Brexit is a challenge, they reported 522,000 passengers on 29,000 flights, making an average passenger number of 18 per flight. Their jets have a max seating capacity of 35 (ERJ 135) and 50 (ERJ 145) respectively. Thats averaging less than half full on each flight

That is not sustainable, Brexit or no Brexit.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
As much as Brexit is a challenge, they reported 522,000 passengers on 29,000 flights, making an average passenger number of 18 per flight. Their jets have a max seating capacity of 35 (ERJ 135) and 50 (ERJ 145) respectively. Thats averaging less than half full on each flight

From those hellish 6 weeks I had to work in Birmingham a couple of years ago (and that's nothing to do with Birmingham per se more to do with BMI), I'd agree. They'd regularly cancel say the 5pmish flight to Glasgow (because it was underbooked) and put everyone on the 9pm flight inside. It got so bad I'd rather accept the 5/6 hour drive each way than fly BMI.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

This is going to end up like the climate change debate and trying to claim a link to individual weather events. I think Brexit can be the straw that breaks the back of weak companies like this airline without doing much, and healthy companies choosing to relocate because of a billion quids worth of tarrifs over the medium term.

Mogg types will deny any of it being related.

Status
Not open for further replies.