• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31104

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I mean Brexit isn't the main reason that Thomas Cook is going under. It's a factor, but their main problem was they took on a shit load of debt to buy Mytravel and couldn't get out from under it as the margins tightened in the industry, but the pound tanking, a warm summer last year in the UK and reduced consumer confidence have done them in.

Deleted member 862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
did they really think the government were going to step in? imagine the Tories dumping 200m+ into Thomas Cook right before an election.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always liked the TUI ads. Shame about it going under, that's hello she for the workforce. I guess things are just too uncertain for anyone to bail them out or the margins aren't worth it. Perhaps waiting to pick them apart on the cheap. Sad times.

Puroresu_kid

Oct 28, 2017

This is nonsense. Firstly the 3 month guarantee when any such deal would need to go through parliament as well as getting the EU on board.

Secondly this idea of having Labour pitting it's own deal against remain in a referendum is madness. The party will be split offering voters two different things.

Seriously just go with the second referendum and Labour backing remain against leave.

No deal Labour could possibly get us better than what remain brings.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Party conferences are meant to resolve internal disputes. That's the whole point.

You go to conference, argue the toss, come to an agreed position, then take that to the country.

Complaining about "internal fighting with opposing factions" during conference is either hopelessly ignorant or totally disingenuous.
From the Guardian:

"With a general election within touching distance, Labour's conference in Brighton was meant to be a showcase for its radical policies and an opportunity to enthuse grassroots members about the project of propelling Jeremy Corbyn into Downing Street.

Instead, it kicked off on Friday evening with a botched bid to oust Tom Watson by abolishing his job and has continued with a battle over Brexit, pitching Corbyn and his trade union allies against thousands of grassroots members."

Again, it's not just me.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From the Guardian:

"With a general election within touching distance, Labour's conference in Brighton was meant to be a showcase for its radical policies and an opportunity to enthuse grassroots members about the project of propelling Jeremy Corbyn into Downing Street.

Instead, it kicked off on Friday evening with a botched bid to oust Tom Watson by abolishing his job and has continued with a battle over Brexit, pitching Corbyn and his trade union allies against thousands of grassroots members."

Again, it's not just me.

The media are partly to blame for the complete lack of imagination in politics outside of arguing about Brexit. They've hardly written about anything else for the last three years. How much coverage was The Guardian realistically going to give labour's "radical policies" before complaining they were ignoring the fact UK will leave the EU in about a months time, we all know Brexit news is the bread and butter for news sites especially ones perceived as left-leaning.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The media are partly to blame for the complete lack of imagination in politics outside of arguing about Brexit. They've hardly written about anything else for the last three years. How much coverage was The Guardian realistically going to give labour's "radical policies" before complaining they were ignoring the fact UK will leave the EU in about a months time, we all know Brexit news is the bread and butter for news sites especially ones perceived as left-leaning.
Well yeah, because if you want to do literally anything, Brexit needs to be sorted out first.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The Guardian is pure trash when it comes to anything about politics so I'm not surprised their take is so bad.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Don't know if it has been posted yet but wasn't the Labour Party supporting a second referendum? Feels like this position muddies the waters.

That's one of their options on the second referendum:

Remain
Or
Leave the EU with a new deal in place.

What some people see as the issue is different members of Labour want to support either side of the referendum, Corbyn here supporting the leave with a new deal.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Is anyone else really weirded out by these "prepare for Brexit" adverts that are appearing on TV now? They're completely unwanted buzz-kills akin to having Piers Morgan whine about SJWs in the middle of Tipping Point, but they explicitly say that we're leaving on the 31st as if it wasn't the law that leaving on that date without a deal (which is what Boris wants right now) would be illegal.

CeeCee

Oct 25, 2017
The mood here at conference is very strongly pro-Remain. If the Brexit motion fails (as it sadly almost certainly will), it will be because the unions stitch it up for the leadership, against the will of an overwhelming majority of members.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018
Is anyone else really weirded out by these "prepare for Brexit" adverts that are appearing on TV now? They're completely unwanted buzz-kills akin to having Piers Morgan whine about SJWs in the middle of Tipping Point, but they explicitly say that we're leaving on the 31st as if it wasn't the law that leaving on that date without a deal (which is what Boris wants right now) would be illegal.

Very much so. They make me feel incredibly uneasy for both the reasons you stated. Just adds onto the feeling that Boris is going to try to crash us out on the 31st regardless and just deal with the consequences later.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of that, it's still the default so it makes sense to be prepared. And it makes sense for Boris's government to want to try and normalise it in people's minds.

I haven't seen them on TV (it's 2019, why would I watch TV with ads?) but they are all over the bus stops in Edinburgh now. It's shitty.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Regardless of that, it's still the default so it makes sense to be prepared. And it makes sense for Boris's government to want to try and normalise it in people's minds.

It's only the default if Boris either 1) gets a new deal or 2) literally breaks the law, though, so unless they actually get a new deal why are they entertaining that notion? Of course I'm not naive enough to believe that Boris ignoring the law would have any major consequences, but surely advertising it so freely would be a little risky?

And I know it makes sense from a governmental perspective, but from my viewpoint that "normalisation" is like the politician in a disaster movie going "there's nothing to be worried about." It also makes it seem like it's something that most people can prepare for as if the effects will be on people watching Tipping Point on a Sunday instead of Brexit and those with the actual power to prepare for major economic hits.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
It's only the default if Boris either 1) gets a new deal or 2) literally breaks the law, though, so unless they actually get a new deal why are they entertaining that notion? Of course I'm not naive enough to believe that Boris ignoring the law would have any major consequences, but surely advertising it so freely would be a little risky?
Or
3) If the EU rejects the request for an extension (which is unlikely, but possible.)

The bill put through is pretty toothless, there are plenty of ways for the government to fuck with any request without breaking the law. The bill really needed some kind of a "and if we hit the 31st without a deal or extension we revoke Article 50/pass the WA" clause to back it up.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Or
3) If the EU rejects the request for an extension (which is unlikely, but possible.)

The bill put through is pretty toothless, there are plenty of ways for the government to fuck with any request without breaking the law. The bill really needed some kind of a "and if we hit the 31st without a deal or extension we revoke Article 50/pass the WA" clause to back it up.

Fuck, didn't realise that.

Welp. Guess my best bet right now is to just try and ignore it because there is literally nothing I can do to prepare for this. I just hope none of my (remain-voting) family lose their jobs...

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
They drive me fucking nuts.

It feels like they're trying to brainwash us with constant adverts.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

They pulled the same shit with the first deadline too. It's basically trying to persuade people that leaving is inevitable despite it being anything but.

peekaboo

Nov 4, 2017

And I know it makes sense from a governmental perspective, but from my viewpoint that "normalisation" is like the politician in a disaster movie going "there's nothing to be worried about." It also makes it seem like it's something that most people can prepare for as if the effects will be on people watching Tipping Point on a Sunday instead of Brexit and those with the actual power to prepare for major economic hits.

Agree completely. I heard the radio advert in the gym this morning (Heart radio no less) and it's just creepy propaganda disguised as "public concern". If you own a business you KNOW Brexit is coming. And for everyone else, it's fucking pointless to tell us Brexit is coming WHEN WE CAN DO FUCK ALL TO PREPARE FOR IT.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It had very little to do with Brexit.

It was a contributing factor though mentioned in both of their last set of results. It was a debt laden company in an industry where margins are decreasing rapidly. But it was also a company which took most of it's income in £ and most of its expenses in foreign currency the impact. 25% fall in the value of the pound cannot be discounted. A bit like the flu to a frail patient Brexit hastened the inevitable. I mean in a brexitless world with more time there was a chance they could have spun some of the company off like their profitable Nordic arm and Condor both of which will probably end up being sold as going concerns but they got hammered on margin over the summer and in a debt heavy low margin business that's terminal.

Zaph

Oct 25, 2017
Who walks into a high street shop to book a holiday anymore? Those leases alone were untenable.

Aug 16, 2019
UK
Just read about Thomas Cook...

This is starting to get scary, I know it's not the only reason, but Brexit gave the final hit and that can be found in their quarter statements.

Labours keep doing fuck all, I hope people here now understand they are not allies in this

Last edited:

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Package holiday makers have been trending down for a decade or so now. Not surprised they couldn't be rescued

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
No.

Like a lot of these companies failing lately, Brexit is only a compounding issue. It isn't the instigating problem with these companies.

Thomas Cooke would likely have failed regardless of Brexit.
No? Thomas Cook has been failing for years. Brexit definitely contributed but it's not like they collapsed now because of it. They collapsed because they've been sinking money into bad decisions for ages now and they finally ran out.

There's a big difference between saying very little to do with Brexit and Brexit being a compounding issue.

And let's also be real - Brexit hasn't happened yet. This is just the uncertainty of Brexit and the political stasis putting strain on the economy.

Brexit definitely isn't helping and I think it's important to point out that this economic and political atmosphere isn't helping at all.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder when we'll hear the ruling of the supreme court case. Later today, tomorrow, Wed? I expect by Wed at least.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London

"I hear Corbyn's office was putting pressure on members of Momentum national coordinating group to back LOTO position - signs of panic about the vote now, especially after Unison decision to support remain motion"

Corbyn you prat. stop fighting the tide.

Status
Not open for further replies.