• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
An employee at work I actually really liked went on a small tirade about how Captain Marvel was the only film he hadn't seen of the Marvel movies becuase it was "political" and went on a tangent about how insufferable he thinks Brie Larson is. My heart sank and it's really disappointing how embedded this shit has gotten.
Slayven is right, what people think about Brie Larson says a lot about them

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An employee at work I actually really liked went on a small tirade about how Captain Marvel was the only film he hadn't seen of the Marvel movies becuase it was "political" and went on a tangent about how insufferable he thinks Brie Larson is. My heart sank and it's really disappointing how embedded this shit has gotten.
Your co-worker is a fucking idiot. I'm sorry you had to find that out about them.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I had a little brother's friend who was playing Fortnite squads with us say something like "recent Marvel movies are a cancer". It was clear he meant the inclusiveness/not pandering to white straight men only, though when pressed on it and me calling out the idiotic alt-right/MRA rhetoric, he didn't own up to those shitty views and started blabbering about how that wasn't what he meant.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
When I first saw Endgame at the theater one of the employees asked me at the end how the film was because he fell asleep during Captain Marvel.

I gave him a look because I thought Endgame was the best film to date and Captain Marvel was great too.

He still doubled down on how he's skeptical on Endgame because he fell asleep during Captain Marvel.

I just left.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This is my biggest issue, too. There are some serious structural issues in Captain Marvel that made it a less than satisfying MCU movie at this point, but it can't even be discussed because of all the jack-asses who have an axe to grind against Brie Larson.

Right? Brie seems like a fantastic person, but it's legitimately bonkers that they sat down to write the origin story for the lynchpin of the next era of the MCU, a character who has been both a crack fighter pilot and a super saiyan, and decided to give us about 5 minutes of each of those things while focusing instead on some utterly uninteresing memory loss narrative for the majority of the movie. How do you start with "Top Gun meets DBZ" and wind up with... that?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018

Quite a few people that I talked to over the past bit said the same thing but it wasn't even their opinion it was more so them saying oh i Heard it was political or I heard Brie did this and said that etc . Got really annoying since they would only latch on to what others opinions were.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Aside from people having trash opinions, I think as big of a problem is the trash they surround themselves with that tells them what to think.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Quite a few people that I talked to over the past bit said the same thing but it wasn't even their opinion it was more so them saying oh i Heard it was political or I heard Brie did this and said that etc . Got really annoying since they would only latch on to what others opinions were

If these opinions reinforce what they already believe or suspect then they naturally latch on to it.

Rydeen

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA.
Right? Brie seems like a fantastic person, but it's legitimately bonkers that they sat down to write the origin story for the lynchpin of the next era of the MCU, a character who has been both a crack fighter pilot and a super saiyan, and decided to give us about 5 minutes of each of those things while focusing instead on some utterly uninteresing memory loss narrative for the majority of the movie. How do you start with "Top Gun meets DBZ" and wind up with... that?
Part of me gets it, that the directors and screenwriters wanted to avoid the typical origin story three-act structure that was starting to wear thin by Doctor Strange, but starting halfway through Carol's story and then showing big chunks of it in hazy flashbacks? Didn't work. They also needed a "bridge" moment to re-connect with her life on Earth, like Carol and Maria going back to the bar on karaoke night, and singing 'Crazy on You' re-jogs her memory and allows them to re-connect as friends again, something like that.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a few people that I talked to over the past bit said the same thing but it wasn't even their opinion it was more so them saying oh i Heard it was political or I heard Brie did this and said that etc . Got really annoying since they would only latch on to what others opinions were.

The Trump Effect -- 'I heard something, so it's true.' Regardless of, you know, reality.

I've seen some of the comments in those videos and it's like staring into the abyss.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
Because this is the plot to that Green Lantern film that sucked. It's derivative shit.

What we actually got, the story of a slave soldier rediscovering her identity, was a lot better.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
It's really hilarious how these sexist pieces of shit don't see the blatant irony staring them in their face when they call Brie Larson an evil person for even coming across as arrogant, meanwhile they adore RDJ for doing the same thing. I wonder why.

The bottom line is if these losers were getting laid they wouldn't even be thinking about it. It's just incel-adjacent bitterness, nothing more.

Ichthyosaurus

Banned
Dec 26, 2018
Part of me gets it, that the directors and screenwriters wanted to avoid the typical origin story three-act structure that was starting to wear thin by Doctor Strange, but starting halfway through Carol's story and then showing big chunks of it in hazy flashbacks? Didn't work. They also needed a "bridge" moment to re-connect with her life on Earth, like Carol and Maria going back to the bar on karaoke night, and singing 'Crazy on You' re-jogs her memory and allows them to re-connect as friends again, something like that.

I liked it being in media res.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Because this is the plot to that Green Lantern film that sucked. It's derivative shit.

What we actually got, the story of a slave soldier rediscovering her identity, was a lot better.

Well shit, if DC of all people tried something and it didn't work, I guess it's impossible for it to be done well. And if that's the case, it probably doesn't bode well for this, the MCU's answer to Superman. Oh well.

Oct 25, 2017
There's an *cough* acquaintance who occasionally comes to my weekly gathering of friends who, whenever Captain Marvel comes up in conversation, he proceeds to go on a tirade about how Brie Larson's co-stars supposedly hate her, and how she supposedly has a flat ass and had to have an ass double for the movie, and how much he didn't like her bragging about her own movie. Oh, and he supports Vic Mignogna too.

"Yeah, fuck this woman for saying good things about the movie she stars in. Now let me tell you about this man who made a Star Trek fan film I like, and who is definitely not a sexual predator because Monica Rial won't show us any evidence!"

My friends and I play Smash Bros. every week, and I make it a point to make sure his sexist ass never wins.

Last edited:

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Well I finally saw this movie and while it wasn't the lesbian top gun remake I wanted, it was probably the lesbian top gun remake that we needed.

It's a good movie.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why im still getting bri larson ruined endgame youtube recommendations. this shit is really getting tired.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Captain Marvel about a week ago and was confused as to what the hubbub was about for the movie/the character by righties. It's not like she blasted off in the last scene while pointing at the audience and yelling "Trans Rights". It was just a standard Marvel movie with a cool 90s flavour and women characters (not even more women than men). I guess they just hate women *shrug*

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't seen Captain Marvel yet (I need to), so Endgame was my first viewing of her in the role and I loved her look and personality as CM I thought she was great. *shrug*

People need more things to fill out their day.

Mar 3, 2018
YouTube recommend me a video for some reason about how captain marvel performed badly and we probably/hopefully won't see her in any future mcu movies. The dude in the video was talking about how all websites lie about the box office numbers and are Disney shill sites, and he actually knows the "truth". For a moment I thought it was some troll parody video but then realized it was all serious, and people in the comments were talking about how he is giving them the real info unlike the fake news they see everywhere....like...bruh

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
YouTube recommend me a video for some reason about how captain marvel performed badly and we probably/hopefully won't see her in any future mcu movies. The dude in the video was talking about how all websites lie about the box office numbers and are Disney shill sites, and he actually knows the "truth". For a moment I thought it was some troll parody video but then realized it was all serious, and people in the comments were talking about how he is giving them the real info unlike the fake news they see everywhere....like...bruh
That's so woefully naive. Disney have movies that underperform all the time. I suppose sites reporting on misfires like Dumbo and A Wrinkle in Time is just like, misdirection?, to throw us off the scent? Classic.

Window

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's seen her work from way before she became Captain Marvel, Brie Larson's amazing. Don't get how anyone can dislike her. What's wrong with people?

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
She's like in it for a total of 2 minutes are they really that mad ?
I get where they're coming from. Endgame is your typical movie with time travel, superpowers and stuff, and Iron Man, Thor and Cap are having a hard time against Thanos. Then a woman appears and she's strong? C'mon, that's unrealistic.

(/s, just in case).

Johnny Blaze

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
DE
I got a alt righter Video recommendation on how CM sucks or something I don't know didn't made it 10 seconds in when the sjw buzzwords started. I don't watch any movie/marvel vlogs or whatever that is supposed to be. YouTube is complicit as usual in this shit. I never got a recommendation on how "Brie doing x is a good thing" kind of video. It got shoved down my throat out of nowhere. I never even commented on the movie anywhere.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I get where they're coming from. Endgame is your typical movie with time travel, superpowers and stuff, and Iron Man, Thor and Cap are having a hard time against Thanos. Then a woman appears and she's strong? C'mon, that's unrealistic.

(/s, just in case).

In their defense, they don't seem to be bitching about Scarlet Wtich lmao.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Brie Larson is awesome. CM is awesome. I hope the haters choke on all the salt they've got coming their way with the future MCU movies.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who's seen her work from way before she became Captain Marvel, Brie Larson's amazing. Don't get how anyone can dislike her. What's wrong with people?

If I had to guess it's because she terrifies them. As Mohadesa Najumi coined, "the woman who does not require validation from anyone is the most feared individual on the planet."

She literally does not care what anyone thinks about her and says what she wants to say, not what she thinks other people want her to say, and they hate that their opinions of her are meaningless. She isn't paying them any attention and they want it so bad because they think they're meant to be the centre of attention not her.

She's exactly the kind of role model young girls need.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Its kind of funny how the 'expert' in the video acts like such an unbiased 3rd party that they pretend to not even know who the people in the video are and by the end they have such an obvious axe to grind that there's probably nothing but the shaft left.

Nobody I know personally seems to have any special feelings on captain marvel/Brie Larson one way or the other.

OP
OP
HustleBun

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
One of the top trending memes on Instagram today is a picture of a news article (which I hope is fake) that reads: Brie Larson Demands More Diversity In Hollywood So Fans Create Petition To Have Her Replaced With Gay Black Woman.

I don't understand why the hate for her is so fucking popular. It's on another level.

It honestly makes me incredibly sad now.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the top trending memes on Instagram today is a picture of a news article (which I hope is fake) that reads: Brie Larson Demands More Diversity In Hollywood So Fans Create Petition To Have Her Replaced With Gay Black Woman.

I don't understand why the hate for her is so fucking popular. It's on another level.

It's not "fans," it's the alt-right pretending to be people of color/queer people like they did during Gamergate's NotYourShield.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Apparently it's cool cuz he's gay.
Oh god I hate that this excuse works pretty often. I know you weren't defending it but I gotta rant about this shit, my ex has big tits that were grabbed by women and gay men wayyyyy too much. She fucking hated it, it's straight up assault. Whether someone gets hard while doing it shouldn't be a excuse we accept.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Oh god I hate that this excuse works pretty often. I know you weren't defending it but I gotta rant about this shit, my ex has big tits that were grabbed by women and gay men wayyyyy too much. She fucking hated it, it's straight up assault. Whether someone gets hard while doing it shouldn't be a excuse we accept.
Yup. Sexual orientation has fucking nothing to do with whether or not someone was sexually harassed or assaulted, period. Any other take is nonsense.

Last edited:

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It honestly makes me incredibly sad now.

i mean, she will be replaced by that no? eventually

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
There's an *cough* acquaintance who occasionally comes to my weekly gathering of friends who, whenever Captain Marvel comes up in conversation, he proceeds to go on a tirade about how Brie Larson's co-stars supposedly hate her, and how she supposedly has a flat ass and had to have an ass double for the movie, and how much he didn't like her bragging about her own movie. Oh, and he supports Vic Mignogna too.

"Yeah, fuck this woman for saying good things about the movie she stars in. Now let me tell you about this man who made a Star Trek fan film I like, and who is definitely not a sexual predator because Monica Rial won't show us any evidence!"

My friends and I play Smash Bros. every week, and I make it a point to make sure his sexist ass never wins.
A flat ass? What the fuck ass baring scene is this guy imagining she needed a double for? I'm sorry your friends keep inviting this person, I hope you can convince them to stop.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
She's like in it for a total of 2 minutes are they really that mad ?

You kidding?
There's a brief like 10 second bit where most of the female avengers fighters appear on screen flexing like everyone else
and people flipped out about it. The brevity doesn't matter. People zoom in on this shit and get angry. Its wild.
It happens so fast in a multi minute long sequence where ALL the heroes are getting shine
. I was honestly disappointed that I didn't see it coming, I should have known that moment would be surgically pinpointed and complained about.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes it does feel like J Jonneh Jamonson is behind this for revenge for newpapers going out of style.

unknown.png

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
A flat ass? What the fuck ass baring scene is this guy imagining she needed a double for? I'm sorry your friends keep inviting this person, I hope you can convince them to stop.

Having just seen the movie a couple days ago, I'm deeply amused at the notion of needing an ass double as though she were being portrayed on screen like She-Hulk used to be in the comics, because there is nothing like that in the god damn movie