• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
1mJNGXK.jpg

2016-2018

Oniletter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is so morbidly fascinating from this side of the pond, what the fuck are y'all even DOING
Britain is going through a prolonged identity crisis because the country can't cope with the fact it's not the 18th century anymore and it is no longer a great power, while the population at large considers itself well superior to it's European peers and is riding high on a wave of xenophobia.

It's English exceptionalism essentially bursting at the seams in real time.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can someone explain this situation to me like I'm five? As a Canadian, I really don't understand this situation but I truly want to.

What sort of catastrophe are we worried about? Like, what does this hypothetical world look like and what exactly causes it to be that way?

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Can someone explain this situation to me like I'm five? As a Canadian, I really don't understand this situation but I truly want to.

What sort of catastrophe are we worried about? Like, what does this hypothetical world look like and what exactly causes it to be that way?

The world will be just fine. It's the UK that's walling itself off.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017

You as a Canadian are fine. It's only the British citizens who are screwed.
Brexit essentially means a new country is being formed and all previous deals for trade, cooperation, travel, etc are null and void and must be renegotiated because previously it was done as a member of the EU as one big block. All the new deals will be worse because they no longer have the leverage of the backing of all the other EU members. That's before even discussing the land border with the Republic of Ireland which as of right now is just a road with no actual border control.

TheGreekFreak

Alt account
Banned
Dec 16, 2018
The worst goverment in history. Absolute fuckers the lot of them. It's clear they want a No Deal, and are pushing for it to happen "by accident" so they can blame it on everyone else even though we now know we can simply stop Brexit in its tracks... But these cunts want it to happen. They want the chaos, removing g us from EU rules. I figure the Tory party will split and we'll have some super right version running things getting as much bad shit done as quickly as possible before they're ousted eventually by a fucking angry public.

I just hope to god Scotland votes for independence ASAP if this is what really comes to pass. I can't take this bullshit.

We had originally planned to move to Scotland but Brexit killed that, now headed to Sweden. It's great but man we really wanted to be close to the Scottish side of her family.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
As a dual-citizen of the US and the UK, I just don't fucking know anymore. Both countries just find glamorous ways to disappoint me at every turn.

End this farce. End Brexit before the country plunges into chaos. My eleven year-old half-sister is there and I worry deeply about how fraught her future will be if this trainwreck actually happens.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
As a dual-citizen of the US and the UK, I just don't fucking know anymore. Both countries just find glamorous ways to disappoint me at every turn.

As a Canadian, I am still slightly stunned that after years of feeling a bit inadequate at not being either a UK or US citizen... the last couple of years I've felt kind of relieved I'm not. Never thought I'd feel that way about being a citizen of boring, ol' polite Canada where nothing ever really happens.

Oct 27, 2017
London
The sad thing is the UK could cancel Brexit tomorrow and there would be no problem. The EU's highest court ruled that is allowed, but our politicians insist on carrying on. We the citizens are being failed by these scumbags who 'represent' us. Dark times indeed.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What will be England's new name once it collapse and become new? I think a corporation will brand it like a stadium

United Coca-Cola

Thing is, I doubt it'll completely fail, my guess is we'll just become even more unequal and unjust, turning to becoming some sort of corporate tax haven to retain some of the financial and other services, and compensate for the shift in economics and trade.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
England has a lot of lean years coming to it. Worse than that, by hobbling the nation and making it irrelavent, they'll accomplish exactly what they feared: the final end of a once great people with a wonderful history. Without any cultural or economic influence, England will become a minor state that plays to the whims of greater forces, opened up and exploited as it struggles to maintain prosperity, its face changed more than it would have if it remained an influential voice in the EU.

Oct 27, 2017
London
Lean years for normal citizens, probably. For the rich folks who are bankrolling no deal, things will get better than ever for them after "unshackling" the economy from European norms. Prepare to see the continuing death of the European social welfare model we still have in the UK for now. I predict inequality will continue to increase and increase, and Brits can no longer move to other European countries to escape it. Only thing I hope for is that one day, the political culture in this country will grow up and realize that Britain alone isn't a great nation and rejoin the EU in 10 years, accepting Schengen, Euro and all. Ironically one of the first to call for European integration was...Churchill.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You as a Canadian are fine. It's only the British citizens who are screwed.
Brexit essentially means a new country is being formed and all previous deals for trade, cooperation, travel, etc are null and void and must be renegotiated because previously it was done as a member of the EU as one big block. All the new deals will be worse because they no longer have the leverage of the backing of all the other EU members. That's before even discussing the land border with the Republic of Ireland which as of right now is just a road with no actual border control.

Okay. That helps a bit. Thanks for the info!

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
There's Spain and Portugal that are having a real rough time too. It's not so much that I'm worried the UK will face the same issues (largely cus of the seperate currency like you said) but more that I don't like being part of an organisation that hasn't done anything to ease the people's sufferings. And that's ignoring the problem with the EU having a blind eye to the undemocratic crap going on in Hungary. What's the point of the EU if it never actually does anything to help the countries within it? I'm not entirely sure how long it will survive either as so many countries within it seem to hate it. Or they hate Germany which they consider as pretty much the same thing.

Jezus christ, im back on the your a fucking troll train now. The euro had brought a lot of prosperity for Those who had their house in order when they joined. The other countries had problems before that they couldnt sweep under the rug anymore with a single currency. Hungary is being dealt with, but a bit slow BECAUSE THEY HAVE SOVEREIGNTY. no Union is perfect right, otherwise people dont seem to be too happe to be in the UK, why let NI stay in there? I say reünite the Irish Island. /s

That last part is just bullshit. Theres a lot of fucking plebs like you who are either Russian trolls or fooled by their nonsense arguments. Get back in your hole.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
Sorry I am getting really tense in this thread, it was suggested I get executed earlier and I've been called a lot of names. Am kinda getting really upset and it's late so I should just leave this thread. Am sorry if I upset anyone or was obnoxious in this thread, I know can get too emotional sometimes and not even think what I'm saying.

For good reason, because you keep spouting unsubstantiated shit.

The Rain King

Oct 27, 2017
The radio station they put on at my work is leading its news bulletin with "The home secretary has outlined plans for the new immigration system that will only allow skilled workers into the UK" and the dipshits I have to work with are all like "Mmm yeah. This sounds great"
Fucking putrid.
Love the thread banner.
This did make me laugh.

Last edited:

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I honestly don't follow this as much as I should as it just thoroughly depresses me but I periodically ask as my girlfriend of 12 years is Polish.

Do I need to worry about her yet?

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
I honestly don't follow this as much as I should as it just thoroughly depresses me but I periodically ask as my girlfriend of 12 years is Polish.

Honestly... if we have no-deal Brexit.... maybe....
In 100 days she'll have no legal right to be in this country if we crash out.

It fucking sucks

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)
Are more Britains leaving the country after university than before Brexit? And to which countries? Australia? Canada? Germany? Sweden? USA?

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The worst goverment in history. Absolute fuckers the lot of them. It's clear they want a No Deal, and are pushing for it to happen "by accident" so they can blame it on everyone else even though we now know we can simply stop Brexit in its tracks... But these cunts want it to happen. They want the chaos, removing g us from EU rules. I figure the Tory party will split and we'll have some super right version running things getting as much bad shit done as quickly as possible before they're ousted eventually by a fucking angry public.

I just hope to god Scotland votes for independence ASAP if this is what really comes to pass. I can't take this bullshit.

Hard Brexit is still a bluff outside the crazies, the politicians need to stand firm and vote down her deal then send no deal to hell. I'm worried but think there will be enough pushback to take us off the edge.

I'm not sure Scotland goes independent after all of this, it's such a tough road if the rest of the UK goes hard Brexit, border problems with biggest trading partners, people still have affinity for the union. UK government is such a mess though.

I see the Tory immigration plans are still the same dog whistle song and dance but with added lunacy of the threshold.

31GhostsIV

Oct 26, 2017
May's plan is obvious. Avoid the deal vote before Xmas and stoke fears in the populace just before our overpaid politicians go off for their break, and hope the fears of a no deal is enough to push her universally loathed deal through.

Hot on the heels of learning we can withdraw Art.50 at any time we like and with public favour for a second referendum at an all time high.

Fucking Tories, man.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

I'd be more worried about having dated someone for 12 years without getting married yet. It's cool if you don't want to, but don't expect the UK government to recognise anything other than a spousal visa in the long run, and even then, that's not 100% guaranteed.

StalinTheCat

Oct 30, 2017
There's Spain and Portugal that are having a real rough time too. It's not so much that I'm worried the UK will face the same issues (largely cus of the seperate currency like you said) but more that I don't like being part of an organisation that hasn't done anything to ease the people's sufferings. And that's ignoring the problem with the EU having a blind eye to the undemocratic crap going on in Hungary. What's the point of the EU if it never actually does anything to help the countries within it? I'm not entirely sure how long it will survive either as so many countries within it seem to hate it. Or they hate Germany which they consider as pretty much the same thing.
Holy shit.
We have come all the way back to "the EU it's an evil organisation".

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I'd be more worried about having dated someone for 12 years without getting married yet. It's cool if you don't want to, but don't expect the UK government to recognise anything other than a spousal visa in the long run, and even then, that's not 100% guaranteed.

I'd been told in the past that marriage wouldn't make any difference to her status because she was from the EU, so we just never bothered. Different rules for people from the EU as opposed to outside the EU but I could be totally wrong... Basing this off a conversation with some random XYZ years ago and pre brexit even being a thing.

I'd get married tomorrow if it actually made a difference.

Edit - Suppose now with the whole brexit thing it actually might make a difference going forward.... Guess we should get to the registry office

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination
I'd been told in the past that marriage wouldn't make any difference to her status because she was from the EU, so we just never bothered. Different rules for people from the EU as opposed to outside the EU but I could be totally wrong... Basing this off a conversation with some random XYZ years ago and pre brexit even being a thing.

I'd get married tomorrow if it actually made a difference.

Edit - Suppose now with the whole brexit thing it actually might make a difference going forward.... Guess we should get to the registry office
To certify the marriage takes a number of weeks and then using that in a marriage application can take up to a couple of months so I'd do it sooner than later to be honest - hope you have a decent salary and about £4k saved up for the application too.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
To certify the marriage takes a number of weeks and then using that in a marriage application can take up to a couple of months so I'd do it sooner than later to be honest - hope you have a decent salary and about £4k saved up for the application too.

Wait what do I need £4k for? Norwich county council is saying £35pp + £50 for the early bird ceremony.

What am I missing?

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
What sort of catastrophe are we worried about?
Imagine if all of a sudden California threw up a hard border. All trucks, trains and boats to/from the rest of the USA would have to pass through customs as if entering from somewhere else in the world. The chaos this would cause for manufacturing, food supply etc. Not only that, but California would suddenly have to provide all the governmental/bureaucratic services previously supplied by the Federal govt.

(UK:EU and CA:USA ratios are very similar in terms of GDP)

RocknRola

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Can't speak for our Spanish brothers across the border (though the news of minimum wage rising to 900€ is probably good news and a sign of better times ahead) but we're doing much better now than, say, 5-7 years ago. It's not a picture perfect scenario, mind you, but we're much better than what we once were.

IMF debt already fully paid for, slowly working on the public debt (it's still a damn shocking 124,8% vs GDP but in 2014 it was 130%!!), the unemployment rate is under control again(though, in part, also because quite a few people left the country between 2011-2017), the economy has shown constant positive growth over the past few years and as an added bonus, alt-right or far-right ideas have yet to take any real sort of hold in any real position of power!

So yeah, we're doing fine for now. It was bleak for a couple of years there and things still have to improve a lot, but there is definitely a light at the end of the tunnel now.

Edit: Should also point out that now with the IMF debt paid, coupled with the fact that timeline and interest rates for the ECB debt are much less rigorous the public debt should see some serious "shrinking" in the next couple of years.

Imperfected

Nov 9, 2017
You know, when you start deciding you need to have a battalion of soldiers on stand-by "just in case" it's probably time to evaluate whether or not you're doing something amazingly stupid. This is true even for military operations, but phenomenally true for domestic ones.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Non-EU migration is the stand out stat, leaving the EU makes NO DIFFERENCE to non-EU immigration.
And ironically, that's the kind of immigration that caused so many to vote for Brexit. I have an old friend living in Yorkshire who voted for Brexit because of immigration, and he told me I wouldn't understand because in the south-east (where I live) and London the only immigration we have to worry about is the odd German banker or French doctor. Up north is where all the immigration really goes, and look what it's done to places like Bradford with all these Asians! I had a similarly brain-dead "conversation" with a Brexit-voting construction foreman, who gestured to all the Indians in his team (out of earshot of them of course =P) and said Brexit would mean less of them, and more British construction workers. It's just... painful trying to explain these things to them. They've made up their minds and literally won't listen to you trying to explain where they've gotten confused.

On a different topic, I'm self employed so have to file my tax report soon. Seeing all this talk about a government I didn't vote for pursuing a Brexit plan I didn't vote for and refusing to consider a second referendum that the majority of the country now wants has me SERIOUSLY wanting to say "fine, no tax from me from now on then." It's frustrating that I don't have that option. Working as an ecologist makes me almost entirely reliant on EU environmental legislation, and the thought of a hard Brexit with a tory government in charge at the time doesn't give me high hopes for that legislation surviving for long. Boris, Gove, and Jacob, have all sounded off repeatedly on how much they hate having to protect bats, newts, reptiles, etc in development sectors. I really should be allowed to opt out of giving the government tax money if they drive the country into economic ruin with a hard Brexit and then cut back on environmental legislation. That's a pincer attack on my income and career =(

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You know, when you start deciding you need to have a battalion of soldiers on stand-by "just in case" it's probably time to evaluate whether or not you're doing something amazingly stupid. This is true even for military operations, but phenomenally true for domestic ones.

But it's the Will of the People!

Let's think...if it's the "Will of the People"...why do you need to get the Army on Stand-By?

olag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not gonna lie. 2016 to 2018 has not been a great look for the western nations.

Welcome to:
Mutually
Assured
Destruction

danowat

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Megaton

The European Commission will at noon today publish its preparation plans for no-deal Brexit. Here are some highlights based on early info: (thread)

1) UK nationals residing in other EU countries will from 29 March no longer have the right to live/work there.