• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The Cosmodrome was peak Destiny 1 for me, that place was dripping with atmosphere a d world building details.

Sunset and night time were so gorgeous.

Bungie needs better weather tech.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I think we should all praise Bungie for their commitment to recycling and reusing, they are quickly becoming the undisputed masters of the circular economy.

Dec 6, 2017
The Cosmodrome was peak Destiny 1 for me, that place was dripping with atmosphere a d world building details.

Sunset and night time were so gorgeous.

Bungie needs better weather tech.
The weather in D2 is gorgeous, but I do agree I'd like it to stand out a bit more. Nessus at night is my favorite; the vex milk looks super cool at night.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I think we should all praise Bungie for their commitment to recycling and reusing, they are quickly becoming the undisputed masters of the circular economy.
I think we should praise your low effort post. Look at the comparisions in the trailer. The play space has doubled and the existing assets have been completely redone

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Change the fucking record, lads.

It's a location from the first game expanded upon, it would be idiotic not to reuse assets.

Most games reuse assets.

EloquentM

Oct 25, 2017
September can't come sooner.

Side note:We actually post destiny gaming threads just to laugh at you trolls.

Dec 6, 2017
Yeah it's probably just not worth it for them at this point.
What, Destiny? They literally just doubled down on the franchise. If they're working on anything behind the scenes, it might be D3, but they now have this expansion, plus another 3 seasons of content to build for this next year. They have plenty to do and a very active playerbase that wants them to keep going. Destiny isn't going anywhere.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
What, Destiny? They literally just doubled down on the franchise. If they're working on anything behind the scenes, it might be D3, but they now have this expansion, plus another 3 seasons of content to build for this next year. They have plenty to do and a very active playerbase that wants them to keep going. Destiny isn't going anywhere.
They were literally given 100 million dollars by NetEase to develop a new IP. If anything is going on behind the scenes it's that. I'm sure they're thinking of Destiny 3 though.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
They were literally given 100 million dollars by NetEase to develop a new IP. If anything is going on behind the scenes it's that. I'm sure they're thinking of Destiny 3 though.
Except that weren't given that $100m for a new IP

Bungie.net

"
At Bungie, our purpose is to build worlds that inspire friendship. For over twenty-five years, through Marathon, Myth, Oni, Halo, and Destiny, we've created fantastic places where players have gathered to become heroes. Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously – Destiny and new worlds to come.

Today, we're excited to announce that we've entered into a new partnership with NetEase to help us explore new directions. With their industry expertise, they'll empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there. They'll help us support separate teams inside Bungie to bring our newest ambitions to life.

If you're a player of Destiny, this news won't impact the hobby you've come to know. Destiny is an experience that will grow for many years to come. We'll continue to work with our partners at Activision to foster this global community and turn new players from all over the world into Guardians. Our commitment to that world is not diminished by this announcement. We have exciting plans for the future of the Destiny franchise, and you'll learn more about the next steps we'll take together in the weeks to come.

For now, we're grateful for the opportunity to welcome NetEase to the family. We have a bold vision to explore with them, but that is all a conversation for another time.
"

It seems very likely that money was used to seperate from activision. Netease is likely hoping to expand destiny in China and get some return from the game, which Activision would have blocked.

Why would Bungie buy the rights for Destiny as part of their seperation from activision if they have no future plans for the game, why revamp it to be F2P this fall if they aren't using it as a major platform moving forward?

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
Except that weren't given that $100m for a new IP

Bungie.net

"
At Bungie, our purpose is to build worlds that inspire friendship. For over twenty-five years, through Marathon, Myth, Oni, Halo, and Destiny, we've created fantastic places where players have gathered to become heroes. Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously – Destiny and new worlds to come.

Today, we're excited to announce that we've entered into a new partnership with NetEase to help us explore new directions. With their industry expertise, they'll empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there. They'll help us support separate teams inside Bungie to bring our newest ambitions to life.

If you're a player of Destiny, this news won't impact the hobby you've come to know. Destiny is an experience that will grow for many years to come. We'll continue to work with our partners at Activision to foster this global community and turn new players from all over the world into Guardians. Our commitment to that world is not diminished by this announcement. We have exciting plans for the future of the Destiny franchise, and you'll learn more about the next steps we'll take together in the weeks to come.

For now, we're grateful for the opportunity to welcome NetEase to the family. We have a bold vision to explore with them, but that is all a conversation for another time.
"

It seems very likely that money was used to seperate from activision. Netease is likely hoping to expand destiny in China and get some return from the game, which Activision would have blocked.

New IP. Plus all the articles on it say new IP

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
New IP. Plus all the articles on it say new IP
That is not an indication of a new IP. The articles assume new IP because Destiny was owned by activision. The investment was prior to the activision termination. Bungie isn't going to announce while owned by a public company who they are planning to use the funds to seperate from "Netease is investing in us so we can seperate from ACTVISION and partner with them for a F2P Asian launch on Steam"

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
That is not an indication of a new IP. The articles assume new IP because Destiny was owned by activision. The investment was prior to the activision termination. Bungie isn't going to announce while owned by a public company who they are planning to use the funds to seperate from "Netease is investing in us so we can seperate from ACTVISION and partner with them for a F2P Asian launch on Steam"
Now, our long-term goal is to become an entertainment company that sustains many worlds simultaneously – Destiny and new worlds to come.
'
Literally one of the first few lines.

It's a new IP.
Also
With their industry expertise, they'll empower us to build new worlds and invite players, new and old, to join us there.

chur

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I thought we were going to a new area on the moon. They're just reimagining the hellmouth? Lame. I was wondering how Bungie would produce more content at a good place without Activision. Recycling seems to be the answer.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recycling comments elicit a sensible chuckle from me.

When revisiting a location (that has had changes) in a game like Metal Gear Solid, fans enjoy it and acknowledge it as fan service. This is the same thing, in my opinion.

Since D2, lots of players have expressed a longing to return to the D1 patrol areas like the Cosmodrome on Earth. Now, in a way, we are getting that on the Moon. For players who've been following the story and missing key characters like Eris Morn, this is going to be a look into that narrative thread. We've not really heard from her (maybe outside of item and Lore entries hinting at what's been going on at the Moon.). Stuff has happened since the start of D2 but players haven't been there. That giant red spire you see in the key art wasn't a playable area in D1. Even the places we played in D1 have been affected by the passing of time and/or many factions making moves on the Moon.

To say that Bungie is simply recycling content is disingenuous and shows that you either don't play or that the narrative implications on returning to the Moon don't hold any significance to you.

Deleted member 54292

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 27, 2019
Hope we get to fight shadow guardians who have their own special abilities. Having a shadow titan come flying towards you would be glorious.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

Do you guys have nothing better to do than come in here and throw out some of the most unoriginal and shitty drive by posts?

Last edited:

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

When revisiting a location (that has had changes) in a game like Metal Gear Solid, fans enjoy it and acknowledge it as fan service. This is the same thing, in my opinion.

Since D2, lots of players have expressed a longing to return to the D1 patrol areas like the Cosmodrome on Earth. Now, in a way, we are getting that on the Moon. For players who've been following the story and missing key characters like Eris Morn, this is going to be a look into that narrative thread. We've not really heard from her (maybe outside of item and Lore entries hinting at what's been going on at the Moon.). Stuff has happened since the start of D2 but players haven't been there. That giant red spire you see in the key art wasn't a playable area in D1. Even the places we played in D1 have been affected by the passing of time and/or many factions making moves on the Moon.

To say that Bungie is simply recycling content is disingenuous and shows that you either don't play or that the narrative implications on returning to the Moon don't hold any significance to you.
That was a pretty speech.

ThatOneGuy

Dec 3, 2018

I know you'll get shit for saying that but I totally agree with what you've said. If there's a good narrative reason for returning to the Moon then I'm all for it.

Would I like a whole new planet with a totally new enemy race or something, of course I would. I'll set my expectations realistically though since we pretty much know that stuff like that isn't happening until D3 or whatever it's called.

Eris, the Moon, the hive, savathun all go part and parcel together and I'm looking forward to seeing the expanded zone. Also armor 2.0 will be huge.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017

1.) Shadow Moses was but a small part of Metal Gear Solid 4, not the focal point like the Moon in Shadowkeep is.
2.) To my knowledge, Konami never charged over half the price of the game for a repurposed location like Shadow Moses.
3.) Metal Gear Solid doesn't have a sordid past like the Destiny series does. How many controversies and upheavals has the Destiny series had, at this point? I've lost count. Of course people are going to be less harsh and more forgiving towards MGS. Destiny hasn't earned the same esteem that Metal Gear has.
4.) We're gonna be spending far more hours on the Moon in Destiny 2, a GaaS / MMO-lite title, than we ever did on Shadow Moses in Metal Gear Solid 4, a single-player game. It will get old quickly, unlike a revisited location in a single player title.
5.) There is an entire decade and several sequels between MGS1 and MGS4. Not only that, but we're looking at the beginning and end of Solid Snake's story, respectively. There are no sequels between D1 and D2, and only half that time (five years instead of ten) has passed since we last saw the Moon. People are not going to care nearly as much when so little time has passed. There's just no real emotional resonance, and very little fan buildup there.

These are the reasons as to why this comparison between Metal Gear Solid and Destiny just does not work. There is no double standard, it's just that people are comparing apples to oranges, and wondering why there appears to be a double standard.

Last edited:

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Every trailer for DLC trailer from these guys:

"This time...we're going beyond our fans expectations"
"We're really pushing...our limits.."
"It's kind of scary being in our shoes...we just don't know how things will go from here"

Forsaken was great, but their support afterwards has not clicked with me at all.

Oct 29, 2017
People saying this is just recycled content are either A) Just trolls, move along. or B) Not paying attention to the commentary that is included here from Bungie. Yeah, they are bringing the Moon back so that will include playable spaces from D1. But the amount of playable space is reportedly doubled, and they are building new locations and new spaces within that total playable space. It's different, it isn't just copy-pasted.

TLDR: Moon's haunted.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I accept payment in the form of Edge Transits if you have any spares laying around.
I'm fresh out, but I can give a last dance ;)
Every trailer for DLC trailer from these guys:

"This time...we're going beyond our fans expectations"
"We're really pushing...our limits.."
"It's kind of scary being in our shoes...we just don't know how things will go from here"

Forsaken was great, but their support afterwards has not clicked with me at all.
I've seen quite a few vidocs, never heard a single one of the quotes you've put up

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
People saying this is just recycled content are either A) Just trolls, move along. or B) Not paying attention to the commentary that is included here from Bungie. Yeah, they are bringing the Moon back so that will include playable spaces from D1. But the amount of playable space is reportedly doubled, and they are building new locations and new spaces within that total playable space. It's different, it isn't just copy-pasted.

TLDR: Moon's haunted.
Literally Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+V

JediMPG

Avenger
Jan 6, 2019
One thing i really appreciate about indie bungie is how much they're showing us that's work in progress. From the exotics in the ViDoc to the cinematic in this one. It's great to see what exactly they're working on

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Banned
May 25, 2018
You know all the content they are giving you for $35? Tell me everything.
Is it comparable to
I'm fresh out, but I can give a last dance ;)

I've seen quite a few vidocs, never heard a single one of the quotes you've put up
I think his point is that they always act like they have some huge undertaking that could change everything. I've gotta say it did make me more excited for things for a while but now that we've seen what they mean...eh.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
1.) Shadow Moses was but a small part of Metal Gear Solid 4, not the focal point like the Moon in Shadowkeep is.
2.) To my knowledge, Konami never charged over half the price of the game for a repurposed location like Shadow Moses.
3.) Metal Gear Solid doesn't have a sordid past like the Destiny series does. How many controversies and upheavals has the Destiny series had, at this point? I've lost count. Of course people are going to be less harsh and more forgiving towards MGS. Destiny hasn't earned the same esteem that Metal Gear has.
4.) We're gonna be spending far more hours on the Moon in Destiny 2, a GaaS / MMO-lite title, than we ever did on Shadow Moses in Metal Gear Solid 4, a single-player game. It will get old quickly, unlike a revisited location in a single player title.
5.) There is an entire decade and several sequels between MGS1 and MGS4. Not only that, but we're looking at the beginning and end of Solid Snake's story, respectively. There are no sequels between D1 and D2, and only half that time (five years instead of ten) has passed since we last saw the Moon. People are not going to care nearly as much when so little time has passed. There's just no real emotional resonance, and very little fan buildup there.

These are the reasons as to why this comparison between Metal Gear Solid and Destiny just does not work. There is no double standard, it's just that people are comparing apples to oranges, and wondering why there appears to be a double standard.
Generally speaking, it's a poor idea to compare a GAAS game to a single player game.

Diablo 3 -- when they actually cared enough about that game to do expansions -- generally just added a single, decent-sized area, some new items and called it a day. That's enough because in a GAAS game, that's enough content to last players 500 hours or more. Same thing here. The Moon is apparently quite large (much larger than in Destiny 1 -- and will undoubtedly come with enough items and things to do for players to be preoccupied for hundreds of additional hours not even including raids and other end-game group activities. There aren't too many games that I can spend $40 on and guarantee myself another 400 hours of satisfied gaming and memories with friends. For me, that's reserved for games like Diablo, Path of Exile, Apex Legends, and...Destiny. Your mileage may vary and it may not be what you're looking for and that's fine. The value proposition isn't great if you don't like the game or content. As is true with any game or entertainment product. A game isn't worth $5 if you aren't going to get $5 worth of fun out of it.

Those of us who are enjoying D2 are going to enjoy it even more going forward with Shadowkeep. The value proposition for us couldn't be much better.

Moon's haunted bro. Call some Ghostbusters.