Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
You'd think after the whole Mixer horror show there'd be someone specifically responsible for handling workplace toxicity on the board, but I guess it's cheaper to just say the magic words and carry on letting toxic bro culture fester and make normal people's lives hell or drive them out of the company
It also doesn't help that if you are a successful dev/exec in any of these companies your behavior will be overlooked until you are no longer bringing in money.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If you knew how Microsoft treated the Xbox division prior to 2017 you wouldn't be wondering about that... also, a single person cannot change the entire culture of a company, it has to be a top-down push, that's why wondering if he's high up enough is valid in my opinion.
Has the Xbox division made progressive changes under Phil? How were they treated prior to 2017 in regards to what's being said in this article? I really have no idea, I honestly haven't heard much bad about the Xbox division until people posted articles in here (in regards to harassment, I've heard about contractor issues and such).

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
Has the Xbox division made progressive changes under Phil? How were they treated prior to 2017 in regards to what's being said in this article? I really have no idea, I honestly haven't heard much bad about the Xbox division until people posted articles in here (in regards to harassment, I've heard about contractor issues and such).

I have no idea actually, and that's why I'm just holding out blaming Spencer for something that happened in a different division.

I'm sure the Xbox division has it issues, and I'm sure Microsoft/Xbox and their execs can do a lot more to nurture a fairer and supporting culture for women.

But to conflate the overall culture at Microsoft with what Spencer is/was able to do at the Xbox division is hyperbole in my opinion and many people in this thread are doing that.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea actually, and that's why I'm just holding out blaming Spencer for something that happened in a different division.

I'm sure the Xbox division has it issues, and I'm sure Microsoft/Xbox and their execs can do a lot more to nurture a fairer and supporting culture for women.

But to conflate the overall culture at Microsoft with what Spencer is/was able to do at the Xbox division is hyperbole in my opinion and many people in this thread are doing that.

I would say it's naive to think it's any different when we have reports of it being exactly the same

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Well i certainly fell for the "MS will clean Acti" posts from the other threads :/
They Activision will be under Phil Spencer No?
So i dont think its outside the realm of possibilty that under Phil Acti could get its act together.
This article seems to be talking about other divisions within MS not the ones Phil is in charge of.

Even if Phil reports directly to Nadella what are they chance he knows whats going on in the Mixed Reality division day to day?

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
One of these days, people will stop treating mega corporations like old friends. Are their products good? Sure, but stop celebrating these companies when stuff like this is a prevailing issue. Only when such issues are rectified should people be giving them praise.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah MS being full of "talented jerks" is pretty accurate... really most tech companies. I won't say all though as I've had some good experiences at a couple.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

I want to be super clear about this: Xbox has been widely regarded, basically since its creation, as the worst division inside MS for women.

That has not changed.

Last edited:

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
I want to be super clear about this: Xbox has been regarded, basically since it's creation, as the worst division inside MS for women.

That has not changed.

Regarded by whom? when? and based on what evidence? lawsuits? articles? journalist investigations? I really want someone here to point me to something.

The last time I remember something negative in regards to culture about Xbox is when they brought in female dancers at an E3 event, don't remember the year.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
They Activision will be under Phil Spencer No?
So i dont think its outside the realm of possibilty that under Phil Acti could get its act together.
This article seems to be talking about other divisions within MS not the ones Phil is in charge of.

Even if Phil reports directly to Nadella what are they chance he knows whats going on in the Mixed Reality division day to day?
People keep saying things like this, has Phil Spencer actually done anything to improve situations like this at Xbox?

I'm just trying to find out why people have so much faith that he will.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I always found the "Uncle Phil" memes fucking weird. We don't know anything about these executives and how they govern the workplace. We have zero knowledge of any skeletons in the closet hiding in the corner. Why do some people here assume there is none just because Phil Spencer is a "true gamer"?

Going to have to agree 100%. The cerny worship, uncle phil nonsense and motherfuckers acting like iwata was their god damn dad always came off as creepy and pathetic. These are just the faces these big ass corporations prop forward to make our dumb asses get all warm and fuzzy like these are our friends. Its straight up Mom from fucking futurama man.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Regarded by whom? when? and based on what evidence? lawsuits? articles? journalist investigations? I really want someone here to point me to something.

The last time I remember something negative in regards to culture about Xbox is when they brought in female dancers at an E3 event, don't remember the year.

www.resetera.com

Xbox Brasil dismisses new host after she was the victim of death and rape threats. (See Threadmark: Microsoft Responds)

Translation of her message: Basically appeal to the gamergate crowd. Fuck this, I'm fuming, first the "Mil Grau" situation and now this shit. Xbox Brasil are shit. If there was someone that didn't deserve this, it was her. Thank you for bringing this to light The Era of Yakuza Update...

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
Can you point me to any material about that? I'd appreciate it.

Here you go.

Not this article but

qz.com

Amid employee uproar, Microsoft is investigating sexual harassment claims overlooked by HR

“This thread has pulled the scab off a festering wound...A wide audience is now listening,” one Microsoft employee wrote in the emails reviewed by Quartz.
Another said that she had been called a "bitch" at work more than once, and found it was pervasive in the company. "We did a roundtables with the women when I was in Xbox core [team] & every woman, except for 1, had been called a bitch at work," the Microsoft employee wrote. "Before people say this is just an Xbox thing (as I've heard that dismissiveness way too many times within Microsoft before) the other eng [engineering] orgs where my experiences happened were Windows & Azure. This is a Microsoft thing, a common one."

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

I'm speaking from on the ground personal experience, but this has been reported before:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/microsoft-employees-confront-microsoft-ceo-230619418.html

"We did a roundtables with the women when I was in Xbox core [team] & every woman, except for 1, had been called a bitch at work," the Microsoft employee wrote, according to Quartz. "Before people say this is just an Xbox thing (as I've heard that dismissiveness way too many times within Microsoft before) the other eng [engineering] orgs where my experiences happened were Windows & Azure. This is a Microsoft thing, a common one."

Sexism and harassment at MS was long presented internally as a problem within Xbox specifically, with women being advised by other women to not work in that division. Much of the work in the last few years has been about making clear the issues are not just at Xbox.

People trying to argue here that the issues might be everywhere but Xbox is…well, a shocking inversion.

Last edited:

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I always found the "Uncle Phil" memes fucking weird. We don't know anything about these executives and how they govern the workplace. We have zero knowledge of any skeletons in the closet hiding in the corner. Why do some people here assume there is none just because Phil Spencer is a "true gamer"?
Because Phil made a bunch of extremely common sense decisions to reverse course and repair damage left from Mattrick's tenure with the aid of Nadella keeping the budget for Xbox open. So he gets credited as a good guy, cool uncle, and genius for doing something any number of lifelong Microsoft employees would have the wit to do.

He's celebrated because he was the one to put a cork in the leaking dike.

V3N1X

Prophet of Truth
Oct 16, 2021
Alexandria, Egypt
www.resetera.com

Xbox Brasil dismisses new host after she was the victim of death and rape threats. (See Threadmark: Microsoft Responds)

Translation of her message: Basically appeal to the gamergate crowd. Fuck this, I'm fuming, first the "Mil Grau" situation and now this shit. Xbox Brasil are shit. If there was someone that didn't deserve this, it was her. Thank you for bringing this to light The Era of Yakuza Update...

I'm speaking from on the group personal experience, but this has been reported before:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/microsoft-employees-confront-microsoft-ceo-230619418.html

Sexism and harassment at MS was long presented internally as a problem within Xbox specifically, with women being advised by other women to not work in that division. Much of the work in the last few years has been about making clear the issues are not just at Xbox.

People trying to argue here that the issues might be everywhere but Xbox is…well, a shocking inversion.

Alright, thanks everyone for pointing that out... I stand corrected.

Oct 27, 2017
Fix your shit Microsoft, ASAP. I know this is prevalent everywhere, but for a company that pushes diversity and inclusion it's extra disheartening that it's still an issue. Good lord.

threi

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario, Canada
One of these days, people will stop treating mega corporations like old friends. Are their products good? Sure, but stop celebrating these companies when stuff like this is a prevailing issue. Only when such issues are rectified should people be giving them praise.
Its about understanding the relationship between a corporation and a consumer. "Corporations are not your friend" is a phrase that is repeated a lot on this forum, but its not just that. You can enjoy a product, but that shouldn't be your identity. People gotta understand where they stand as a consumer, and where the corporation stands. It's about knowing the game, and playing by the rules of the game.

Your relationship with a corporation is a nothing more than a financial transaction in exchange for goods or services that they provide you. A corporation's end goal is to get your money, by any means possible. That can be beneficial to you or not. Either way, people need to recognize that your power is in the ability to take their money elsewhere if the goods and services are not to their expectations. That is the driving force behind decisions made by a corporation. The absolute worst thing you could ever do as a consumer, is excuse actions made by a corporation because you like their product. A corporation will always push to see how far they can go because they want to maximize revenue. It is prevalent among so many markets, especially in tech, where quality and features are lost in the name of cost-cutting because the consumers refuse to take their money elsewhere. With regards to the videogame industry, my attitude has always been that if Xbox, Playstation, or Nintendo were going to announce they were going out of business tomorrow, I wouldn't bat an eye. I just take my money to whatever will satisfy my needs.

But that is really off topic for this thread, its just i've been seeing this attitude from users across several threads and it's deeply disturbing. Please don't throw away your power as a consumer over fanboy shit. Companies hire PR firms to handle shit, don't do it for them for free, while you are also giving them money for their product.

To tie it to this thread, I say hold their feet to the fire. Like I said above, if it gets to a point where their revenue stream may be affected, they will do something about it. So if you want something done, DO NOT EXCUSE THEIR ACTIONS BY SAYING EVERY COMPANY DOES IT.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I think the prevailing sentiment was that MS was going to step in and clean things up.

In reality they'll probably just do more effective HR and Legal which really can just sweep this stuff under the rug.

The only people going "MS is going to clean up Activision" are fanboys who want to make excuses for Microsoft swallowing a huge publisher. The same reason why I roll my eyes every time the usual suspects say that as if they actually cared.

The fact of the matter is this is a corporate problem. These Corps will always protect important men and ignore the toxic culture. HR isn't there to protect the people who work there. Every so often they come out giving some nothing commitments or firing a few people to silence any criticisms but the problems never get solved entirely.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Welcome the new king same as the old king. I guess some people are just too talented to axe.
What a fucking world we live in, get rewarded for doing the most vile shit.

Oct 28, 2017
www.resetera.com

that's so fucked up. i wonder how that convo went between the decision makers, they obviously didnt want this to become to big or gain more traction than it should otherwise it could air up their own shitshow back in HQ

WillowWrath

Dec 15, 2018
I want to be super clear about this: Xbox has been widely regarded, basically since it's creation, as the worst division inside MS for women.

That has not changed.

That's shocking. I had no idea, I knew about Brazil but I thought it might be a one-off. I know how bad mega corporations can be, so I shouldn't be shocked.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Unfortunately and surprisingly, the number of women in leadership positions has never really been indicative of better working conditions for women within organizations. I've actually had experience at companies where it was the opposite.
Yeah, just look at EA's lady going all kumbaya/healing circles about the abortion debate. 🙄

panda-zebra

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
How sincere can you be in your commentary and how can you have even the beginnings of a plan to tackle the enormous issues at Activision and Blizzard if you don't even have your own house in order? I feel like I've been subjected to months worth of fanciful fanboying about how MS are going to fix ATVI; it's based on absolutely fuck all other than hopes and wishes.

Seeing Microsoft staff concerned about bringing in Activision Blizzard as having a detrimental effect on their own existing issues is not something I would have imagined given all the guff I read here about xbox itching to jump in and right all wrongs, people just just blindly assuming it would just happen and that they were doing us and the employees a favour when it's obviously just all about getting a load of IP and a huge chunk of the industry on the cheap.

I remember some US officials writing a letter to say they thought MS was actually protecting Kotick and that rather than helping bring about changes needed the acquisition is allowing Kotick this period of grace where he can enable anti-unionisation efforts and undermine accountability. It seemed unfortunate and unavoidable, but now it seems like everything is going to plan.

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
People keep saying things like this, has Phil Spencer actually done anything to improve situations like this at Xbox?

I'm just trying to find out why people have so much faith that he will.

It's a cult of personality. It always strikes me as weird as hell when people refer to him by his first name, like they go bowling every wednesday night together, and he comes over on sundays and they grill and watch football together.
"He made gamepass! He's my best buddy forever and a swell guy!".
He's just an executive people.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS needs to fix itself stat. People like Phil but I'm wondering if he is complicit as well

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
MS needs to fix itself stat. People like Phil but I'm wondering if he is complicit as well

anyone with decision making power is complicit if they choose to do nothing. none of these execs at any of these companies are out for the best interests of their employees above everything else. It's always business first.

Xbox clearly cared more about striking a deal with Activision while their stock was low because of the treatment of their employees than the actual treatment of their employees.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, part of the premise of the article is that Nadella was supposed to make these sort of sweeping changes to clean things up years ago, and publicly made comments alluding to this, and yet here we are, so I'm not so sure if they've earned the reputation of being "quick to respond to things like this".
That's a good point

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Fuck toxic working culture man. Get your shit together.
Something that cought my eye yesterday... Aaron Greenberg decided to give a follow in Twitter to non other than Sasel, the most toxic, mysoginist and racist xbox youtuber around in Spain (who non even Xbox Spain dares acknowledge in any sense, fortunatelly). He's the equivalent of Xbox Mil-Grau from Brazil (who was FINALLY blacklisted by Xbox after a campaign in 2018 posted here on ERA). Hope Aaron followed him by mistake, and not because he likes his content.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I mean he does at least seem like a nice guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to make progress to improve workplace culture. But ultimately he's the head of Xbox so he's responsible if his division is toxic, and as a senior leader within Microsoft he's partially responsible for widespread issues across the organisation too.

What could possibly make you jump to this conclusion? This is again more "uncle Phil" rhetoric. The dude is an executive at a giant company and even under his tenure as the head, shit has happened. Stop putting him on a pedestal.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
People are making a lot of definitive statements about something we have no way of knowing. I think that MS will improve Activision because they got so infamous over the past year or so, they practically got bought because of it. A lot of things can fester when there's no light being shone on it, but Activision has been in the news for over a year over their shit, they had a fucking lawsuit from the state over it, and now they're about to have the FTC all over them. I don't know if it'll come from a place of kindness or pragmatism, but I think there will be improvements at Activision because they can't really afford for there not to be.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
What could possibly make you jump to this conclusion? This is again more "uncle Phil" rhetoric. The dude is an executive at a giant company and even under his tenure as the head, shit has happened. Stop putting him on a pedestal.

Maybe there was clues on his shelf for how he's going to fix the culture issues at MS.

JohnnyToonami

Dec 16, 2018
Earth
Fuck toxic working culture man. Get your shit together.
Something that cought my eye yesterday... Aaron Greenberg decided to give a follow in Twitter to non other than Sasel, the most toxic, mysoginist and racist xbox youtuber around in Spain (who non even Xbox Spain dares acknowledge in any sense, fortunatelly). He's the equivalent of Xbox Mil-Grau from Brazil (who was FINALLY blacklisted by Xbox after a campaign in 2018 posted here on ERA). Hope Aaron followed him by mistake, and not because he likes his content.
Greenburgers a scumbag and has been known to pals around with these fucks. He's been on podcasts and interacted with these types of toxic fanboys for years.
It's gotten brought up a few times when this sorta thing gets posted on here (Brazil incident) and most Xbox fans just handwave it.
Dude knows exactly who this youtuber is and followed them.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
People are making a lot of definitive statements about something we have no way of knowing. I think that MS will improve Activision because they got so infamous over the past year or so, they practically got bought because of it. A lot of things can fester when there's no light being shone on it, but Activision has been in the news for over a year over their shit, they had a fucking lawsuit from the state over it, and now they're about to have the FTC all over them. I don't know if it'll come from a place of kindness or pragmatism, but I think there will be improvements at Activision because they can't really afford for there not to be.

I really can't with some people. It's like you didn't even read the thread.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
MS has been known to have issues for decades when it comes to their treatment of female employees. Not sure why you think they will make it better. Hell according to this employees are afraid the execs coming from Activision will make MS even worse.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Let's not make this into a console war.

its not making it into a console war, its calling into question some of the rhetoric around certain individuals/companies and, as I've stated before, why people are willing give a benefit of the doubt to some and not others when a) nobody actually knows these people beyond the image we get from showcases and very calculated tweets and b) they haven't actually shown they've earned that benefit of the doubt. Its the absurdity of it all.

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Publicly put them on blast for this. I am more of an Xbox/PC player and if this shit is happening and being ignored by the higher ups it needs to be called out over and over til something is done. I don't want my Game Pass dollars going to toxic, terrible people.

I'm trying to think, has any similar stories come out of Zenimax/Bethesda? Maybe MS can learn a thing or two from them

Phoenix7

Alt Account
Banned
May 24, 2022

Me neither. To me he always seems like a snake-oil salesman and far too self satisfied. I feel like he likes the smell of his own farts and gets paid millions for it. Also, he's about a "true gamer" as I am a nun, following my sisters in prayer.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Me neither. To me he always seems like a snake-oil salesman and far too self satisfied. I feel like he likes the smell of his own farts and gets paid millions for it. Also, he's about a "true gamer" as I am a nun, following my sisters in prayer.
ya the dude with 1900 hours in Destiny is a fraud and hates the medium

Phoenix7

Alt Account
Banned
May 24, 2022
ya the dude with 1900 hours in Destiny is a fraud and hates the medium

No need to defend him. He earns enough. I didn't know playing one game makes you a "True gamer", in that case Shu Yoshida is the "Ultimate gamer" lol. I'm not knocking the guy but the CEO fetishism is quite off putting and cringeworthy.