• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
lol at CoD trying to play catch up in the Battle Royal craze (which has worn off now) How original "rolls eyes" I'll still give it a go though cause why not.
giphy.gif

The bolded could not be any further from the truth...battle royale has proven it is here to stay...the "big 3" (Fortnite, PUBG, Apex) are all doing well. And now Tarkov is coming up as well.

Hudsoniscool

Banned
Jun 5, 2018
The bolded could not be any further from the truth...battle royale has proven it is here to stay...the "big 3" (Fortnite, PUBG, Apex) are all doing well. And now Tarkov is coming up as well.
Era lives in a bubble.
A quick look on the Xbox most played list in the US- Fortnite is number 1. Apex is 4. Pubg is 11
Pubg peaked at almost 600k users on steam today coming in third. And I'm pretty sure that the 2 games ahead of it are free for steam users.

....... ya battle royale is dead lol.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
huh.

I'd have reinstalled Modern Warfare to give this a shot if it was part of it.

Even better if it's a separate F2P thing.

Oct 25, 2017
So we're gonna get 2 COD Royales if Treyarch's gets theirs out at launch?
They are on an extremely tight schedule atm, if this is actually standalone they will likely just add Treyarch to it when 2020 releases

I think it may stay for next week, they probably want to spread it a lot with the streamers/youtubers. In the same way that EA did with Apex
Didn't a bunch of streamers like Dr Disrespect have an NDA event last week for something?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
They are on an extremely tight schedule atm, if this is actually standalone they will likely just add Treyarch to it when 2020 releases

Didn't a bunch of streamers like Dr Disrespect have an NDA event last week for something?
Doc won't be online at all tomorrow due to an NDA event.

If it is dropping this week, it's gotta be Thursday or Friday.

Figments

Spencer’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
California
Can we not have yet another Battle Royale?

A ranked play mode is what I want more than yet *another* goddamn battle Royale.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This could be a really interesting thing.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited. MW plays great but i'm not interested in standard MW modes. This being standalone and f2p hopefully means it will continue to grow and get support for sometime.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly battle royale is old news, I'm just waiting for the first AAA game to go after Escape from Tarkov money.
No AAA developer is going to put out a game nearly as hardcore and punishing as tarkov, it would have to be diluted to a point that it wouldn't be comparable. Just the lack of UI elements alone in tarkov wouldn't happen in a wide release AAA game, people would complain about shooting teammates/ not being able to see distant enemies from a couch/ not knowing when you've killed someone. Most of what makes Tarkov fresh is that it deliberately ignores handholding design and has a sink or swim learning curve, this kind of thing is niche and not desirable to a AAA company who is spending millions of dollars on development and need to reach the widest audience possible to justify the cost.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Been waiting for this. Blackout is right there with Apex as my fav Battle Royale, hope this is as good.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
No AAA developer is going to put out a game nearly as hardcore and punishing as tarkov, it would have to be diluted to a point that it wouldn't be comparable. Just the lack of UI elements alone in tarkov wouldn't happen in a wide release AAA game, people would complain about shooting teammates/ not being able to see distant enemies from a couch/ not knowing when you've killed someone. Most of what makes Tarkov fresh is that it deliberately ignores handholding design and has a sink or swim learning curve, this kind of thing is niche and not desirable to a AAA company who is spending millions of dollars on development and need to reach the widest audience possible to justify the cost.
I'd argue the core concept itself is not AAA friendly. PvP experiences like Tarkov are always going to be harsh and unforgiving. That's just the nature of PvP looting.

Just look at The Division or Sea of Thieves. They've both struggled for years to make the PvP experience more casual friendly and it never works.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not so sure. Hardcore/tactical shooters have really been gaining popularity in the last year or two. Obviously a AAA take on Tarkov would be watered down (how would the input even work on a controller?), but I think it could be successful. When PUBG first got popular, I thought battle royale was too punishing for the average player for it to break out of the audience it already had, but look where we are now.

Oct 25, 2017
People said just about the same exact thing about MMO's and then again about the Arma/PUBG type stuff.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MW 2019 multiplayer is a mess, and the obviously Battle Royale map repurposed they had in Spec Ops was really anonymous. A BR mode would force IW to make a sensible TTK, better weapon/item balance and other adjustments the game desperately would have needed in its multiplayer too. Hopefully this is indeed F2P, while I own Modern Warfare I have little faith a BR mode slapped onto it would have had enough players in a year or two from now.

Oct 25, 2017
MW 2019 multiplayer is a mess, and the obviously Battle Royale map repurposed they had in Spec Ops was really anonymous. A BR mode would force IW to make a sensible TTK, better weapon/item balance and other adjustments the game desperately would have needed in its multiplayer too. Hopefully this is indeed F2P, while I own Modern Warfare I have little faith a BR mode slapped onto it would have had enough players in a year or two from now.
Raven was making the BR,
They supposedly designed the Spec-Ops map and IW decided to reuse it for that mode and Ground War maps.