• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sygma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My only concern is that in all the videos we seem to be bashing some weird monsters bleeding lava or something. And yeah ... hopefully there ll be some good old flesh to chop away with that axe

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kratos changing mythology seems like an obvious move, so obvious it's been suggested by fans for many years.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
My only concern is that in all the videos we seem to be bashing some weird monsters bleeding lava or something. And yeah ... hopefully there ll be some good old flesh to chop away with that axe

Considering the franchise, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of human enemies and hell .. even an encounter or two with Norse Gods.

Beating Hercules to a pulp in GOW3 is still one of the most satisfying gaming moments of all time.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Not compared to Greek mythology but compared to any of the other new ones they could have chosen (such as Mayan as I mentioned in my post). Dude, there are tonnes of shows, blockbuster movies, games, comic books even based in Norse mythology. Those generic details that you mentioned everyone knows... are already a lot. Do you know that much about Mayan deities or even the Egyptian pantheon?
I knew more about Egyptian mythology than Norse, before I started reading about Norse myths

The general audiences barely knows anything about Norse mythology. It's barely represented in movies and shows and elsewhere. Valhalla Rising? Vikings? American Gods? Those facts most people know, you can point to the Thor movies and that's about it, and those facts are twisted through a sci-fi superhero lens compared to how stories and games and such utilize Greek Mythology

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I'm perfectly fine with the story aspect changing. It's the (seemingly) radical gameplay changes that make me raise an eyebrow.

I like stylish action games and this seems much more slow passed and not as over the top which I find disappointing.

I think taken on its own the game looks fantastic and I'm still probably gonna get it. But I am let down that there's seems to be one less character action series in the world.

That's fair. While it does seems a bit slower paced from previous games in the series, I don't agree that this isn't a character action game, but that would probably just come down to semantics.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm very happy with the game new direction. I think the last thing the series needs is another entry in the vein of the first crop.

Oct 25, 2017
KaBUkot.gif

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
I totally think this should have been a different game altogether,not because it has different gameplay,but the story was so greatly concluded in GoW3.

I think they knew that the GoW brand is guaranteed financial success,so that's why the stick with this name.

That being said,I say let's wait and see the game in the flesh,since I have still not a clear image where the new GoW is headed.I trust them based on their past history to make a quality game.The new combat in GoW feels like Hellblade on steroids,from the camera to the feel of the weapon and the way enemies come at you.

Let's just hope that the kid gets abducted at early levels,since I don't like having him alongside my journey till the end.I like that me vs the world feeling that the previous GoW games had.

OP
OP
GNEVERD

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You claim to be a massive fan, and that 2 is your personal favorite, yet the director of the 2nd game getting the new one greenlit after the previous one failed to keep Sony interested it is problematic for you?

All the Greek Gods are dead, and Kratos is NOT DEAD. For a big fan you seem to be missing some key information, like how David Jaffe (series creator) gave the new game his blessing and SSM always intended for Kratos (not Krato) to visit different regions of the world and their respective mythologies. It's not some huge leap in logic for him to find other places on Earth and low and behold! More Gods / Deities / etc.

I can understand if you are confused or wary of Kratos having an actual character arc and being older - thus having slower and deeper combat, but many of the reasons you bring up don't make sense.
I don't work in the video game industry, and I don't feel the need to stalk the creator of the game. I play the games, and that's about as far as it goes for me. I'm sure I dig deeper on subjects that you have little knowledge of, but I don't see how sourcing a game creator's dialogue is relative to how I should personally feel about Kratos. Massive and big are adjectives you've added to my original post, and are very fanboyish. I like the series and Kratos, but I'm not obsessed with it.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How can you say I have no idea where the game is going, when the main character literally jumped out of one mythology into a completely different one? Kratos and "Kratos are two different people, and I should be okay with this? Most people are ignorant of Norse mythology, you act as if someone should feel ashamed for not studying the subject. I'm all for gaining knowledge, but maybe most people don't know anything outside of Marvel's take on Asgard, because the subject matter doesn't hold the interest of its readers. Since you're the resident expert on Norse mythology, can you explain to me who the Norse god of war is and the potential reasons why Kratos has decided to completely jump from Greek mythology to Norse mythology to clean house...oh and give his son a tutorial lesson while doing so?

David Jaffe talked about God of War jumping to different mythologies, suggesting that in the universe of God of War, all the mythologies exist at the same time. That Kratos is the harbinger of death for all mythologies.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let's just hope that the kid gets abducted at early levels,since I don't like having him alongside my journey till the end.I like that me vs the world feeling that the previous GoW games had.

You might have moments where you're briefly separated but it seems the kid will be there more than 95% of the time since he's crucial to the gameplay.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Narratively, I really soured on the series at the end of 3. That ending made no damn sense and was completely out of left field based on how the entire game had gone to that point.

I'm not sure how I feel about the combat.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
This is very cynical, but I couldn't help drawing a similar conclusion, despite their claims as to why they decided against doing an Egyptian setting. It still doesn't explain the how however within the context of Kratos' reality.

I have a feeling the game will start - or will at least have - some kind of Flashback section where it's more like the Classic God of War (complete with Skin you can unlock after completing the game) that will show what event threw him into the Frozen North.

Maybe they'll just assume the 1000 year or so time gap between the Ancient Greeks and early Norse writings means people just converted over.

What I want to know is how did he go from Greek to Scandinavian looking.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
I don't work in the video game industry, and I don't feel the need to stalk the creator of the game. I play the games, and that's about as far as it goes for me. I'm sure I dig deeper on subjects that you have little knowledge of, but I don't see how sourcing a game creator's dialogue is relative to how I should personally feel about Kratos. Massive and big are adjectives you've added to my original post, and are very fanboyish. I like the series and Kratos, but I'm not obsessed with it.
Wow dude - no need to respond so obtusely. The reveal of God of War literally came with Cory Barlog talking about it. Also, I used to test for Jaffe and have met and spoken with him several times over the years, but I must be a "stalker" right? How awful of me to want to chat with the creator of one of my favorite franchises.

You don't need to be obsessed to have simply payed attention to how to spell the character's name, or how the third game ended. That in itself is what I was pointing out - that you claimed to be as much, and "disrespected" as a fan, yet are not able to see the logistics and logic of how Kratos ended up North of Greece, where Norse mythology originates.

The reason I even mentioned Sony Santa Monica wanting to have Kratos visit different mythologies was because you ASKED for an explanation.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who played every GOW game to completion, I say bring on the new direction. After playing Ascension, it was clear that the series needed a major shake-up. After GOWIII, it would make no sense to set yet another installment of the series in Greek mythology, that story was pretty much complete. It is very refreshing to see they took a long, hard look at Kratos and managed to reinvent him while still tying him to the older games. The gameplay looks every bit as brutal as before, even if it has been drastically retooled.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
David Jaffe talked about God of War jumping to different mythologies, suggesting that in the universe of God of War, all the mythologies exist at the same time. That Kratos is the harbinger of death for all mythologies.

This idea would've worked so much better if every game was a different mythology instead of spending 6 games treading water in Greece. I was so sick of Kratos by the end of 3 that I just wanted him to be gone. If they had just moved on to another pantheon for 2 like Jaffe originally wanted, it would've been way better.

I wanted a Kratos vs. Jesus battle with the Lance of Longinus.

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I liked GOW as a fast-paced character action game, so changing from that to a slow-paced behind the shoulder cinematic game is very drastic indeed. I certainly get that TLOU vibe so I hope the actual game would be significantly different.

However, I don't really care about Kratos himself though so I don't mind seeing him being older, gentler, and wiser. I do hope that they would explain the change (but even if not I don't think I really care).

So I guess I am 50/50 on this. I am cautious optimistic about this one even though it's not what I am expecting.

OP
OP
GNEVERD

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It makes no sense, and even if they explained it in-game I cant imagine a convincing reason why suddenly Norse gods exist. This game could have been any other game if the main character was different, nothing about it says God of War. They just plugged in a Kratos model and called it God of War.
Right! You understand where I'm coming from. When I see people disagree with our pov, I see two views.

One is people had GoW fatigue, which I totally understand and why I didn't play any of the other games past 3. The other view is people just didn't like Kratos as a person, which I understand too.

However, if you didn't like him before, you somehow believe he is less of a dick because his son is tagging along for the journey? I'm pretty sure he's still an asshole to other people, not named son.

Oct 30, 2017
I love the fact that it's still Kratos and just a new mythology. The kid companion is what has me worried. Would not be surprised if I totally hate the game.

John Bender

Oct 27, 2017
As I stated earlier, I missed the end credits. When he died; I cut the game off disgusted. I just learned he wasn't dead from you all. Now, I feel even more convicted about where the direction of the game is going. My 17 year old self is definitely different from my 37 year old self, but I'm still on the same planet, still in the same universe, still in the same dimension. We can't say the same of "Kratos."
What? Kratos is still on the same planet. It's still the same earth. Some still know him. They know what he did.
fdderss2qskr.png

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I never liked Kratos as a character, i still don't. I love the games and the brutality is cool to watch and play. But the stories of almost all the games are shit.

In GOW1 at the very least you had a clear motivation for Kratos. But from two on wards Kratos is just a fucking out of control maniac which is not likable and his reasons don´t make sense. I compare him with Gyp Rosetti from Boardwalk Empire, fucking unlikable psychopath who wants to rip your head off with very little provocation or motive, if you eat Kratos lunch he will bring the fury of the Titans to end your and your family's lives, fucking nonsense.

If this changes all that and brings sympathy to the character with a new dynamic with his son, i'm 100% in.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This idea would've worked so much better if every game was a different mythology instead of spending 6 games treading water in Greece. I was so sick of Kratos by the end of 3 that I just wanted him to be gone. If they had just moved on to another pantheon for 2 like Jaffe originally wanted, it would've been way better.

I wanted a Kratos vs. Jesus battle with the Lance of Longinus.

I agree, six games is A LOT. The change in direction is long overdue.

Right! You understand where I'm coming from. When I see people disagree with our pov, I see two views.

One is people had GoW fatigue, which I totally understand and why I didn't play any of the other games past 3. The other view is people just didn't like Kratos as a person, which I understand too.

However, if you didn't like him before, you somehow believe he is less of a dick because his son is tagging along for the journey? I'm pretty sure he's still an asshole to other people, not named son.

Dude, the creator of the series, David Jaffe, talked about Kratos going through different mythos. All the mythos have existed at the some point in history. In GoW, all the mythos are real and something he will or might face. The jump from Greek to Norse mythology is not crazy if you know they all exist in one universe. The God of War title is just a title, Kratos is a harbinger of death for all Gods.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to scream if they imply Kratos is redeemed or a good person for treating his son nicely in one part of the game or saves a few people.

You threw a crying sex slave into a grinder to open a door and then killed millions of people.

I'm curious if Sony has filtered out interview questions of "how will you deal with Kratos' extreme misogyny from his past" or if journalists just are completely uninterested in asking those questions.

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
I just wish we didn't get stuck with Kratos and a different setting but essentially a different genre. I wanted a new setting and a new protagonist but the same DMC-style gameplay, personally.
Heh, this is the first time I see someone say GoW gameplay is DMC style. I assume if I posted like this in any DMC thread I would probably get backlash a lot

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Heh, this is the first time I see someone say GoW gameplay is DMC style. I assume if I posted like this in any DMC thread I would probably get backlash a lot

I mean, it's not as GOOD as Devil May Cry gameplay, but that's the genre both games are part of.

And while I do love me some Dark Souls, that is not the kind of template I was looking for for my current-gen stylish action games.

OP
OP
GNEVERD

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool! Like I've said, I have no problem with it. I just would like a concise explanation, but I'd prefer a the lead character be someone different than Kratos.
Wow dude - no need to respond so obtusely. The reveal of God of War literally came with Cory Barlog talking about it. Also, I used to test for Jaffe and have met and spoken with him several times over the years, but I must be a "stalker" right? How awful of me to want to chat with the creator of one of my favorite franchises.

You don't need to be obsessed to have simply payed attention to how to spell the character's name, or how the third game ended. That in itself is what I was pointing out - that you claimed to be as much, and "disrespected" as a fan, yet are not able to see the logistics and logic of how Kratos ended up North of Greece, where Norse mythology originates.

The reason I even mentioned Sony Santa Monica wanting to have Kratos visit different mythologies was because you ASKED for an explanation.
You'r mistaking my tone, and I'm probably doing the same. I think you're missing my approach to GoW as well. I'm just in it for the content.

That's great that you use to test for Jaffe (I'm not familiar with who he is exactly, but he's obviously helped create the game, GREAT!).

I'm not the only person that didn't know Kratos was alive in this thread. Furthermore, if you step outside of yourself, then you'll be able to understand how the credits may not be as important to others as they are to you. Taking names doesn't quantify how much you like or enjoy said product. I'm not sure what you're referring to about misspelling Krato's, but I think I've spelled it enough times in this thread for my GoW affinity not to be questioned. Spelling corrector may be the culprit.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to scream if they imply Kratos is redeemed or a good person for treating his son nicely in one part of the game or saves a few people.

You threw a crying sex slave into a grinder to open a door and then killed millions of people.

I'm curious if Sony has filtered out interview questions of "how will you deal with Kratos' extreme misogyny from his past" or if journalists just are completely uninterested in asking those questions.
Pretty sure that will be touched on in the story, given the scene with him looking at the vase.

Also remember that's it been a long long time since GoW 3 and Kratos has been wandering ever since. Also that Kratos is teaching his son to be a merciless ruthless killer, while his son struggles against Kratos' teachings. Having someone to protect doesn't mean he has to be a good person.

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure that will be touched on in the story, given the scene with him looking at the vase.

Also remember that's it been a long long time since GoW 3 and Kratos has been wandering ever since. Also that Kratos is teaching his son to be a merciless ruthless killer, while his son struggles against Kratos' teachings. Having someone to protect doesn't mean he has to be a good person.

Agreed, and the story may also come down to where his son also teaches him a few things as well.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I always hated Kratos though I liked the games so his change so far has been a real boon to me personally.

Oct 26, 2017

I mean, I don't know what will happen, they've shown nothing of this game.

But let's not make it a redemption story unless he like saves millions of people and addresses the super evil parts of his past, mmkay.

Kratos isn't greyish-white morality wise like Wolverine before and during most of Logan. Kratos was sick and evil, don't have him have an arc like Logan.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I liked playing as Total Asshole Kratos and can't say I'm interested in Nice Guy Dadtos. That being said, I'd still check the game out but that emphasis on the omnipresent kid, aka hint giver/hand holder, and more than likely dramatically serious story bits isn't for me so I'm good.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I liked the gameplay of the God of War games but I never liked Kratos as a character. With each entry he got progressively less likeable and just seemed more and more like an asshole. This new Kratos is a 100 times more interesting to me.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I don't know what will happen, they've shown nothing of this game.

But let's not make it a redemption story unless he like saves millions of people and addresses the super evil parts of his past, mmkay.

Kratos isn't greyish-white morality wise like Wolverine before and during most of Logan. Kratos was sick and evil, don't have him have an arc like Logan.
He did have a family once. He tried to save his mother. He tried to save and reconcile with his brother. He decided to save mankind rather than stay reunited with his daughter.

He's a monster but also has shown compassion and a desire to help others and care for his loved ones throughout the six games

Ghost Slayer

Oct 30, 2017
I mean, it's not as GOOD as Devil May Cry gameplay, but that's the genre both games are part of.

And while I do love me some Dark Souls, that is not the kind of template I was looking for for my current-gen stylish action games.
I guess it's just different opinion for each person. I never think GoW gamdplay is worse than DMC since it nevers try to be a stylish action game. The game nevers emphasize on try to use many moves as possible, it also doesnt even have a score system ingame. From my point of view its very a standard Western gameplay, you have light and heavy attacks, together with L1 to create special moves, frame window for counter also big to be more accesible for casual. The series never built for hardcore in the first place

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
You'r mistaking my tone, and I'm probably doing the same. I think you're missing my approach to GoW as well. I'm just in it for the content.

That's great that you use to test for Jaffe (I'm not familiar with who he is exactly, but he's obviously helped create the game, GREAT!).

I'm not the only person that didn't know Kratos was alive in this thread. Furthermore, if you step outside of yourself, then you'll be able to understand how the credits may not be as important to others as they are to you. Taking names doesn't quantify how much you like or enjoy said product. I'm not sure what you're referring to about misspelling Krato's, but I think I've spelled it enough times in this thread for my GoW affinity not to be questioned. Spelling corrector may be the culprit.
David Jaffe is the creator of God of War, and the first person in the credits for the original God of War. If you want to talk about respect, have a little for the people who spent years making these games for us to enjoy.

Now that you know Kratos is still alive, combine that knowledge with the context that the immediate region of Greece was flooded, and thus him going off the cliff and into the ocean could easily have sent him North.

My mention of the director of God of War 2, and now God of War for PS4, was not to imply you're not a fan - but rather that he is the one you should be putting a little trust into for the direction the game is taking. Cory Barlog made his case several times regarding the new direction and gameplay, including that it will have massive boss fights and that Kratos (not Krato's as your seem to be writing) has to keep his rage in check at times.

Check it out:

To make a thread about being wary of the new direction is fine, but be open minded when people answer your questions instead of willfully remaining stuck to complaints some of us have explained or show are simply false.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Narratively, I really soured on the series at the end of 3. That ending made no damn sense and was completely out of left field based on how the entire game had gone to that point.

I'm not sure how I feel about the combat.

The issue with God of war 3 is it was trying to technically end Kratos's story, and give him some closure with the guilt that turned to rage he had for the death of his family.
The little girl in God of war 3 was suppose to show a side of him we hadn't seen since god of war which was only in a few scenes in the first game.

He was angry that the gods basically dictated what people became, when they died, and how little their impact was on the world without them being there. So by the time we were at GOD OF WAR 3 he was trying to not kill the gods for revenge, but to kill and bring an end to them so humanity could choose their own way. So people would not have to look up to the gods of guidance of what to do. Which is why he takes the blade of Olympus that holds the spirit of hope and trys to release it to everyone so that no God would be their overseer and humans would be able to chart their own path without the meddling and oppression from the gods who thought so little of them.

He saw how he was perceived by them, and how the gods knew of his family's death that would come by his hands and how Ares was pulling the strings but they sat back and did nothing. His fate was sealed the moment he was born because he was a spartan, trained from birth to be a warrior and fight in the name of the gods instead of for themselves.

But it kind of got lost with all the gore, hate, and the actions the player was doing. Only at the tale end when you confront Zeus does Kratos have a moment where he tries to save Pandora from sacrificing herself to the flame because he couldn't save his own family from their fate, he wanted to change hers.

It didn't come across well, and the ending had no buildup or context seen throughout the game that Kratos wanted to bring an end of the gods so mankind could be free of their hold over them. It was written as he just wanted them all dead because he was still angry with them for Zeus betraying him, and for letting the death/ares happen.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I would have preferred if they instead made games based on the god of war of other cultures. Mayan, Egyptian, nordic, etc.

Dad of war is... Interesting. The whole concept seems somewhat incongruous

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Exactly. Kratos (after the first game) is 100% a villain. He's pure evil, and the only reason he's the protagonist is that all the other gods were just as shitty as he was. At the absolute best you could call him an anti-villain, but none of his methods or motivations were pure or selfless. He doesn't get to just decide he's human again because he has a son now. He's still evil, he's still awful, and SSM trying to make us feel for him is just such a weird bit of moral blindness I honestly don't know how they're able to look at the character and not see that.

I guess it's just different opinion for each person. I never think GoW gamdplay is worse than DMC since it nevers try to be a stylish action game. The game nevers emphasize on try to use many moves as possible, it also doesnt even have a score system ingame. From my point of view its very a standard Western gameplay, you have light and heavy attacks, together with L1 to create special moves, frame window for counter also big to be more accesible for casual. The series never built for hardcore in the first place

It's not built for the hardcore, you're right. But stylish action doesn't need to be for the hardcore. That's the thing, it was always meant to make up for its shortcomings as far as moveset and control complexity by using the brutality as a means of allowing the player to feel empowered, which is fine. It knows what it is and it never apologized for that.

But this entire genre shift is just...unnecessary. Especially for those of us who like character action games and have no other options this gen.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Find it funny that OPs biggest concern is Kratos being in a new mythology.
Probably one of the smallest things anyone has brought up lol.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Exactly. Kratos (after the first game) is 100% a villain. He's pure evil, and the only reason he's the protagonist is that all the other gods were just as shitty as he was. At the absolute best you could call him an anti-villain, but none of his methods or motivations were pure or selfless. He doesn't get to just decide he's human again because he has a son now. He's still evil, he's still awful, and SSM trying to make us feel for him is just such a weird bit of moral blindness I honestly don't know how they're able to look at the character and not see that.

It's not built for the hardcore, you're right. But stylish action doesn't need to be for the hardcore. That's the thing, it was always meant to make up for its shortcomings as far as moveset and control complexity by using the brutality as a means of allowing the player to feel empowered, which is fine. It knows what it is and it never apologized for that.
And the new game's combat looks more brutal, heavy, and powerful than the Blades ever did. Every hit looks like it has weight and power behind it

Kratos seems more violent, fierce, and brutish than in any of the other games. Like forget the great warrior wielding famous blades, here he's get dirty with his bare fists to crush faces and pound enemies into the ground.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
And the new games combat looks more brutal, heavy, and powerful, than the Blades ever did. Every hit looks like it has weight and power behind it

Kratos seems more violent, fierce, and brutish than in any of the games. Like forget the great warrior wielding famous blades, here he's get dirty with his bare fists to crush faces and pound enemies into the ground.

Maybe it is. And if that's what you want, cool, but for those of us who were fine with the original direction of the combat system and just wanted a change of setting and protagonist to change things up, it's not really particularly helpful.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it is. And if that's what you want, cool, but for those of us who were fine with the original direction of the combat system and just wanted a change of setting and protagonist to change things up, it's not really particularly helpful.
That's just God of War 1 with a different skin. No different than GoW 2, 3, GoS, CoO, and Ascension. Which were all God of War 1 with different settings, some different enemies and bosses, and some different subweapons

What you're asking for is what they already did for six games.