• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised RE9 is fps again. Though, you could be right about a new remake coming. Probably 4.

Personally, I just want a next gen 3rd person RE staring Jill Valentine from Remake 3 or Claire Redfield from Remake 2. Sadly, I doubt that's happening anytime soon.
Yeah, 9 will probably be a first person game. But I don't think we won't get a third person RE game on PS5 (remake, spin-off or something new?).
Either way, the future of RE seems bright 🙂

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
CaringOddBlacklemur-size_restricted.gif

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
I wouldn't be surprised RE9 is fps again. Though, you could be right about a new remake coming. Probably 4.

Personally, I just want a next gen 3rd person RE staring Jill Valentine from Remake 3 or Claire Redfield from Remake 2. Sadly, I doubt that's happening anytime soon.

A game starring all protags from the remakes, or maybe Carlos, Jill and Claire as Leon is getting an entire game for himself already.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
This stuff isn't really new honestly, I've kind of have been talking about it for almost a year now. Though one thing I realized within the last year... This is going to take a bit of explaining, but there was a point in time I thought Village and Revelations 3 were the same, but that wasn't the case. Some may recall when Village was near announcing, I said it was to star three characters, and I had heard Chris, Ethan, Rebecca, but Rebecca was getting the boot for another new female character in Village.

So where my confusion came from is originally I had heard about Revelations 3 in 2017, heard it was being developed with Switch in mind, and it'd be starring Rebecca. I did not hear about the game again until 2018, I first heard the game was going to release in 2021/2022 for everything & be a cross-gen title, and later someone told me details about "Revelations 3", which was it had Chris and Ethan from RE7 as well as a third character, it would take place in some snowy European mountains, and was "very RE4 like".

So in retrospective, this was Village. I also found out closer to Village's announcement that Village was a side game that went back to being RE8 like, a year ago or so? Anyways, at the time with the pieces I heard, I though Rev 3 & Village were the same thing, and I did think that for a time.

However, I had another person who swore up & down to me that Village was NEVER Revelations 3 and I was wrong in reporting that. And within the last few months especially, I now know that is true and I realized due to one person telling me about Village as Rev 3, I had a lot of wires crossed between the two. Sometimes that happens, Village was not always RE8, there was another game that was RE8 in 2018 especially, but Village was an undecided side game just called Village, Rev 3 was something else entirely.

More confusingly both of them starred three characters, were in dev around the same time, were both aiming for a release close to each other. I actually do get how some who told me might've had some wired crossed at the time. There's certain other things I said about Village that were actually for Rev 3 some months ago, but I won't say any more than that.

The only other thing I'm going to throw out there so it's clear later I'm not bullshitting is Rebecca is no longer white, she always had faces based off of Japanese models, but for Outrage she'll be Asian rather than white.

Anyways, I'm not going to talk anymore about it. Now is Village time, I am excited for Outrage, but Village deserves the attention for the moment. Right now the public doesn't know very much about Outrage, and I think it's better that way.
Finally, more Rebecca. This will use RE engine right? The switch to her being Asian is something I don't mind because I always thought she was of asian descent anyway, considering her original model

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I always thought that the idea was:
Mainline titles: First person and inspired by one of the classics(1 till 4) with a more modern cloth.
Spin offs and Remakes: Third person with different ideas that did not fit the mainline games somehow and well, the remakes are remakes.
The RE engine can't run on switch afaik
Monster Hunter Rise runs on the RE Engine

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
You're getting a new mainline RE in a few months.

While I'm going to play it, it's first person, 4 is a remake, and I want a new, next gen 3rd person RE game. That's just it. It's fine - I'll still play this and probably enjoy it.

So yeah, whining about Switch receiving an RE entry tailored to its hardware comes across as super petty and fanboyish, regardless of intent.

It would be fanboyish if I wanted it out of some brand loyalty or something. But the hardware difference between the systems is so huge, you can't blame me for wanting a different kind of product.

That's just my taste. I have a Switch. I'm a fan of Switch. But not for RE games. I'm sorry - Switch hardware is just not made for the RE game I have in mind - immersive, realistic horror game on a big screen, in a dark room.

But ok, let's see how it goes. Especially since it's supposedly AAA production.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Finally, more Rebecca. This will use RE engine right? The switch to her being Asian is something I don't mind because I always thought she was of asian descent anyway, considering her original model
The RE engine can't run on switch afaik
Normal RE Engine can't, IE they can't port RE7/RE2/RE3 to Switch (they tried to port RE7 for a while, no real success). But they did make a version of the engine to run specifically with Switch that can port to other platforms, but the games have to be developed with Switch in mind. Monster Hunter Rise & the Ghost'n'Goblins game are both running on that version of RE Engine, so will Resident Evil Outrage.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Normal RE Engine can't, IE they can't port RE7/RE2/RE3 to Switch (they tried to port RE7 for a while, no real success). But they did make a version of the engine to run specifically with Switch that can port to other platforms, but the games have to be developed with Switch in mind. Monster Hunter Rise & the Ghost'n'Goblins game are both running on that version of RE Engine, so will Resident Evil Outrage.
So its a Lite RE Engine?

Apr 21, 2018
Switch? Good lord..

Hopefully it'll look good when it comes out on PS5.

yeah it's going to be hard for me to choose between playing it on Switch right away, or waiting for some sexy 4k experience.

I can wait for digital foundry, but I think I need it atleast a locked 30 on Switch to jump in. (MH Rise does look really, really good so I'm hopeful)

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
beyond those three, do you think capcom has anything else in development for switch in the RE engine?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My bad. I thought I'd read that Capcom couldn't port the newer games because the engine couldn't run capably.

Dusk already explained it right above but it's pretty much how Capcom did it for their previous engine where they had the regular MT Frameworks engine for 360/PS3/PC and then the mobile version for the handheld/portable games.

Mantorok

Mar 8, 2018

Thanks for clearing that up. Think I'll check it out as I haven't purchased MH.

Oct 27, 2017
If REV3 or Outrage has 3 characters Imhope at least one i
Rebecca, Sheva, and Billy please and thank you.
Yep exactly what I want. Some less used returning characters. I will talk about Sheva especially being under appreciated and stuck in a game where Jill stole most of the spotlight because of the way the narrative was structured. I think she is a character that had some really interesting character traits and could be explored further. I also wouldn't mind two returning characters and a new one, alternatively. I absolutely do not want Leon or Chris again - between the films and games they have had more than enough appearances.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this is pretty much in line with what I know. This will come out some time in 2022, I don't know when it will come out next year though, I don't know if they'll just ride RE8 for the next fiscal year or if they want to get this in at the end of it.

Oct 27, 2017

So what is this, like how MT Framework had Lite and Mobile versions for systems that's couldn't handle the normal one? Or is it different because in this case games built on the normal RE Engine can't run on the Switch version at all?

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
A PS5 Resident Evil releases in a couple months. They are working on RE4, which we know will not be Switch-exclusive. And this is still coming to PS5 and XSX later.

I keep repeating myself, one is a 1st person game, the other a remake. I wouldn't mind this if they kept the series as 3rd person and then made a game for Switch.

It's ok. It's just my opinion. My taste. I'm aware. But it's not fanboyism. I'm a big fan of Switch.

Complaining about it being a Switch game first is still console warring/port begging, especially given all of the above facts.

Look, it's not about where it comes out first. It's about the fact that they can't make it look as good if it's coming out on Switch. That's not fanboyism, that's a fact. People are complaining Horizon II Forbidden West is coming out on PS4 ffs (not that I agree with them), but you're acting like I'm annoyed about some timed exclusivity. I'm not. I'm talking about the hardware. Or are we pretending Switch can trully magically run anything?

Anyway, it's fine. I hope it's a good game regardless and I'll be playing it for sure. I'm sure it's a good decision. I was just trying to explain my disappointment was not fanboyism - it has nothing to do with it and you can't compare it to people bickering about Sony and Microsoft. I don't know how to explain it better.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is this, like how MT Framework had Lite and Mobile versions for systems that's couldn't handle the normal one? Or is it different because in this case games built on the normal RE Engine can't run on the Switch version at all?
I find the latter hard to believe given how there's nothing custom on the Switch. my only guess is that they built the main version of RE Engine on top of some low level AMD exposed hardware that PCs can just brute force

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Nothing really "new" for those who've been following along at home for the last few months, but...nice.

Now, just PLEASE bring back Raid Mode, please. Capcom doing the most with these MP mode additions in modern RE games EXCEPT the ones we really want the most.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is well on its way to selling over 100 million units and it sells a ton of software to boot.

Why shouldn't the platform get it's own timed exclusive?

I know some don't want to admit that the Switch is market leader, but it is.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Is Outrage a separate project compared to Revelations 3? For a moment I thought these two were the same game.
Outrage & Rev 3 are one the same. I doubt it's going to be called Rev 3, though it did start development as that. The final name may not be named Outrage (or maybe it will), but for now we know it as Outrage.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Monkey's Paw twist: One of the other returning characters is a resurrected Steve Burnside

As long as it is third person over the shoulder, I will play it. Rebecca is a pretty boring character though so I'm not all too happy about her returning

aevanhoe

Aug 28, 2018
Outrage & Rev 3 are one the same. I doubt it's going to be called Rev 3, though it did start development as that. The final name may not be named Outrage (or maybe it will), but for now we know it as Outrage.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

I just hope the new RE engine allows it to look good on Switch but be improved for next gen consoles beyond what they did with Revelations 2 on PS4.

Switch is well on its way to selling over 100 million units and it sells a ton of software to boot.

Why shouldn't the platform get it's own timed exclusive?

I know some don't want to admit that the Switch is market leader, but it is.

For me it's just the hardware, otherwise I wouldn't mind at all.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Plenty of great takes in this thread already, I see. Not surprised people are already upset about the idea of another Capcom Switch timed-exclusive before the game has even been announced.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out though! Heard plenty of interesting things about it.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I've never thought much of Rebecca, but then again, I always pick Jill in the first Resident Evil and I've only played through Zero once at launch -- I'll definitely give it a playthrough before Outrage. Do like that they're embracing her Asian roots, though.

My own personal RE character tier lists aside, I am pumped for a made-for-Switch continuation of Revelations. I was pretty saddened by how Capcom just sat out the Switch, in terms of original games, for years, and I adored Revelations 2. If we can get a peek into what is going on with Alex, I am going to be so happy. But I'm there on day one in any case.

In terms of other returning characters that haven't be Revelated yet, I'd be stoked to see Leon, Sherry, Sheva, Billy or Jake.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense.

I just hope the new RE engine allows it to look good on Switch but be improved for next gen consoles beyond what they did with Revelations 2 on PS4.
Revelations 2 definitely felt like that the PS4/XB1 SKUs were added at the last minute (which explains why the PS4 version specifically was kind of a shitshow), but at the end of the day, that always did feel very much like a B-project compared to how the first game was treated. If what Dusk is saying about how they're treating Outrage as effectively a new AAA entry in the franchise pans out, I don't think we'll be running into a repeat of that and it should be a hell of a showcase for the Switch while being up to the standard of what folks expect from the series on more powerful hardware.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Dying by Leon's hand is a compliment.

Never played Rev 1 or 2, they worth playing? Sounds like this one is promising.

I'd think so. The main campaigns are fun, but each game has an extra mode called "RAID mode", which is where I think the games truly shine, and have loads more replay value.

Think mission-based action-RE gameplay, with RPG-lite character progression/customization.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
"Switch timed exclusive" just broke my fucking heart
I'll be so bummed if i'm forced to play on switch