Oct 27, 2017
On visual talk, this is me spitballing, but I suspect graphically it'll look either around or better than RE5 (though a weird comparison since RE Engine & MT Framework had different "looks", but I hope you get what I mean). The RE Engine base version's issues with Switch I've heard has a lot to do with the Switch needing to switch rapidly between two resolutions for docked/handheld, and just some specific features it has some issues with.

So if you're fine with a game around and a bit above RE5 level graphically, but with some of RE Engines strengths, I think most won't be too bothered. This is me spitballing a bit (I haven't seen the game in motion or anything), but I think it'll be a pretty good looking game. I'd even bank that they want it to be one of the nicest looking Switch games.

It'd be pretty disappointing if it didn't look better than PS3/360 games when the Switch is a more modern and significantly stronger piece of HW. Especially when MH Rise already looks significantly better than RE5

I find that weird that RE Engine is having issues with that, when damn near every other engine doesn't (seem) to have much of an issue with that
IIRC, there's evidence suggesting that RE Engine does not play well with DRS at all. If that's the case, I'm sure that whatever solution they came up with for the Switch fork to be able to switch profiles on the fly took a lot of time to implement.

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked how Revelations 2 was actually episodic and released on a set schedule. It would probably get annoying if every game did that but I thought it worked well here. This game got it right when all these others tried to be episodic and then took years between or never finished their episodes.

It felt good buying the first episode with the schedule on hand for the rest. Was hoping it was the direction the series was headed so sequels could be made faster. but if whatever they were working on for Rev3 became a full scale game, im excited.

All that said, I'm ready for whatever in the moist barrel of fucks Outrage is.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked how Revelations 2 was actually episodic and released on a set schedule. It would probably get annoying if every game did that but I thought it worked well here. This game got it right when all these others tried to be episodic and then took years between or never finished their episodes.

It felt good buying the first episode with the schedule on hand for the rest. Was hoping it was the direction the series was headed so sequels could be made faster. but if whatever they were working on for Rev3 became a full scale game, im excited.

All that said, I'm ready for whatever in the moist barrel of fucks Outrage is.

Likewise, the episodic releases made every episode feel like a community event since everyone played and discussed each piece together. In between releases it gave the player incentive to do the speed run trials and other extras. Shame it's not a popular format.

StevieP

Oct 27, 2017
Switch exclusive? Really? That sucks.
Welp, hopefully it'll have some drastic improvements when it comes to next gen consoles and pc. Anyway hyped for more Rebecca. Now we just need more Jill as well.

How many of these takes do we have in threads like the FF16 or FFVIIR announcement threads? Cause you can literally say shit like this about any console game (even PS5 timed or full exclusives) with regards to high end PC hardware which will generally play any console game at higher resolutions/framerates. I don't get it.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
The RE Engine base version's issues with Switch I've heard has a lot to do with the Switch needing to switch rapidly between two resolutions for docked/handheld, and just some specific features it has some issues with.

I've heard that before... So now that they did build a custom fork of the engine, would it be possible for them to port games like RE7 to this new fork that supports Switch, or any future iteration/upgrade of the Switch that retains the same resolution switching feature?

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
This isn't a Silent Hill game we're discussing here!

a89a9c1e9be53105cdb22de00c940cfa.gif

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
How many of these takes do we have in threads like the FF16 or FFVIIR announcement threads? Cause you can literally say shit like this about any console game (even PS5 timed or full exclusives) with regards to high end PC hardware which will generally play any console game at higher resolutions/framerates. I don't get it.

Be real, a PS5 game isn't going to look subpar just because it can't match a $1500 computer build. The Switch is the definition of a compromise by comparison. For people that own all consoles, it isn't exciting news.

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard that before... So now that they did build a custom fork of the engine, would it be possible for them to port games like RE7 to this new fork that supports Switch, or any future iteration/upgrade of the Switch that retains the same resolution switching feature?
Doesn't seem like it.

The engine for the Switch is very different from the build RE7 and REmakes are on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't seem like it.

The engine for the Switch is very different from the build RE7 and REmakes are on.

So any future games they make for Switch have to be developed with this specific engine fork and cannot simply be ported later from the main engine?

I feel like that's a bit shortsighted of them to create an engine that simply cannot work with resolution switching.

Oct 27, 2017
Likewise, the episodic releases made every episode feel like a community event since everyone played and discussed each piece together. In between releases it gave the player incentive to do the speed run trials and other extras. Shame it's not a popular format.

also it was $25, which was actually cheap to the point where people were wondering why it was that cheap lol

there's a ton of dlc but the complete thing is sold for nothing these days when it goes on sale, which is every other month. I've got them on like everything I own. Then they put them on sale for $9 on switch recently--sure, that's an absolute steal to have those raid modes portable and easily accessible on another device. They also run and look better than expected which is nice.

Oct 27, 2017
So any future games they make for Switch have to be developed with this specific engine fork and cannot simply be ported later from the main engine?

I feel like that's a bit shortsighted of them to create an engine that simply cannot work with resolution switching.
From the way I understood it, RE engine was designed for everything but the build that works on everything but just couldn't work on the switch for some reason.

Capcom did however do another build of the engine that was optimized for the switch. This game along with MH Rise are examples of this build.

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a fanboying/console warring to me

The Switch will not pump out visuals or performance that a 7 year old machine like the old PS4 could. It isn't exciting on the tech end for a brand new game.
Seems an even statement to me.

Be real, how is a new entry that features the return of a favorite character not exciting news?
It's great news for the game, not much to do with your (correction 'the') hardware comment, though.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What makes you think it will be low res and low fps? Suddenly the switch can't run games well? Please don't say 30 fps because you'll just end up looking like a hypocrite later
What do you mean "suddenly?" It's never been particularly performative hardware. Even impressive for the tech ports like Doom are not great ways to play the game. PS4 and One struggle with frame rates as well due to the Jaguar. RE2 and 3 don't run well on base PS4 or Xbox either. So, I'm thinking about that and what they may be trying to do. Are we talking 720p 30? Will it be stable? There are some games that run well on Switch, like Mario Kart, but those are the exception, not the rule. 1080p 60FPS I wouldn't have an issue. But less than 1080p (sometimes even lower than 720p) with an unstable 30FPS is common on Switch. Even PS4 and One have sub 1080p titles that struggle for 30FPS.

I generally aim for 1440p+ and 60FPS+ when gaming. Sometimes 120FPS, sometimes 4k 60FPS, sometimes 4k 120FPS. Depends on the game, what I perceive as the better performance profile, and what my PC can do.

Also, WTF are you talking about with 30FPS and hypocrisy? I can't not like low frame rates? Why? Because you like Nintendo? I'll deal with 30FPS if it's the only option, but if there are other options you won't see me go that route unless it means something like supporting Epic.

Oct 27, 2017

Annualizing/multiple games in a year is fine by me when it's working this well.

If the list had ports, it might crash the servers. yet...i've bought almost all of them.

What do you mean "suddenly?" It's never been particularly performative hardware. Even impressive for the tech ports like Doom are not great ways to play the game. PS4 and One struggle with frame rates as well due to the Jaguar. RE2 and 3 don't run well on base PS4 or Xbox either. So, I'm thinking about that and what they may be trying to do. Are we talking 720p 30? Will it be stable? There are some games that run well on Switch, like Mario Kart, but those are the exception, not the rule. 1080p 60FPS I wouldn't have an issue. But 720p and lower with an unstable 30FPS is common on Switch.

I generally aim for 1440p+ and 60FPS+ when gaming. Sometimes 120FPS, sometimes 4k 60FPS, sometimes 4k 120FPS. Depends on the game, what I perceive as the better performance profile, and what my PC can do.

Also, WTF are you talking about with 30FPS and hypocrisy? I can't not like low frame rates? Why? Because you like Nintendo? I'll deal with 30FPS if it's the only option, but if there are other options you won't see me go that route unless it means something like supporting Epic.

Revelations 1 and 2 run well -- a perfect 4k 120fps on switch, it's great

edit: actually not sure what the res is, but the framerate is decidedly "unlocked but not a problem" to me. It's really predictable where the dips will be but performance is pretty acceptable

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Be real, a PS5 game isn't going to look subpar just because it can't match a $1500 computer build. The Switch is the definition of a compromise by comparison. For people that own all consoles, it isn't exciting news.
It would look better as a PS5 game for sure, but the news is still exciting for those of us that care about good games.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
Wasn't Village previously Revelation 3? Is this another Revelation 3?

No, Dusk was wrong about a lot of the development cycle for these two games, apparently. From previously in the thread:

This stuff isn't really new honestly, I've kind of have been talking about it for almost a year now. Though one thing I realized within the last year... This is going to take a bit of explaining, but there was a point in time I thought Village and Revelations 3 were the same, but that wasn't the case. Some may recall when Village was near announcing, I said it was to star three characters, and I had heard Chris, Ethan, Rebecca, but Rebecca was getting the boot for another new female character in Village.

So where my confusion came from is originally I had heard about Revelations 3 in 2017, heard it was being developed with Switch in mind, and it'd be starring Rebecca. I did not hear about the game again until 2018, I first heard the game was going to release in 2021/2022 for everything & be a cross-gen title, and later someone told me details about "Revelations 3", which was it had Chris and Ethan from RE7 as well as a third character, it would take place in some snowy European mountains, and was "very RE4 like".

So in retrospective, this was Village. I also found out closer to Village's announcement that Village was a side game that went back to being RE8 like, a year ago or so? Anyways, at the time with the pieces I heard, I though Rev 3 & Village were the same thing, and I did think that for a time.

However, I had another person who swore up & down to me that Village was NEVER Revelations 3 and I was wrong in reporting that. And within the last few months especially, I now know that is true and I realized due to one person telling me about Village as Rev 3, I had a lot of wires crossed between the two. Sometimes that happens, Village was not always RE8, there was another game that was RE8 in 2018 especially, but Village was an undecided side game just called Village, Rev 3 was something else entirely.

More confusingly both of them starred three characters, were in dev around the same time, were both aiming for a release close to each other. I actually do get how some who told me might've had some wired crossed at the time. There's certain other things I said about Village that were actually for Rev 3 some months ago, but I won't say any more than that.

The only other thing I'm going to throw out there so it's clear later I'm not bullshitting is Rebecca is no longer white, she always had faces based off of Japanese models, but for Outrage she'll be Asian rather than white.

Anyways, I'm not going to talk anymore about it. Now is Village time, I am excited for Outrage, but Village deserves the attention for the moment. Right now the public doesn't know very much about Outrage, and I think it's better that way.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
From the way I understood it, RE engine was designed for everything but the build that works on everything but just couldn't work on the switch for some reason.

Capcom did however do another build of the engine that was optimized for the switch. This game along with MH Rise are examples of this build.

Right I get that they had to develop the custom fork of the engine, but what I'm wondering is if it's at all possible to port a game developed on the main RE engine (like RE7) to this custom fork so that it can be released on a console such as the Switch 2.

Oct 27, 2017
Right I get that they had to develop the custom fork of the engine, but what I'm wondering is if it's at all possible to port a game developed on the main RE engine (like RE7) to this custom fork so that it can be released on a console such as the Switch 2.
Oh I see.

I doubt it but who knows. If my limited knowledge of coding is anything to go by, it sounds like a lot of work.

Oct 27, 2017
The Switch will not pump out visuals or performance that a 7 year old machine like the old PS4 could. It isn't exciting on the tech end for a brand new game.
Seems an even statement to me.
Well good thing not everyone is solely concerned with the game having the best visuals and for those who are you can wait of play plenty of other games up to your "standards" for visuals

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm also excited and hoping it's good, my tech comment isn't about the quality that I hope Rev 3 delivers, especially since I'll be double dipping.
That's fair. If it's really good I'll also double dip on the PS5 version. Hopefully there is a Switch pro by this point, that would help quite a bit.

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Annualizing/multiple games in a year is fine by me when it's working this well.

If the list had ports, it might crash the servers. yet...i've bought almost all of them.

Revelations 1 and 2 run well -- a perfect 4k 120fps on switch, it's great
Revelations runs 30-60FPS variable at 1080p/720p on Switch.

www.eurogamer.net

Switch's Resident Evil Revelations is best played in mobile mode

Switch ports of library titles? We're all for them if the game is right and the quality of the port holds up. Capcom's …

I think capping the games to 30FPS on Switch, and REmake 2 and 3 capping to 30FPS on base systems would be overall a better experience. But I think this gives you an idea of what we can expect since history repeats itself.

I think we'll be looking at something more graphically intensive than Rev 2, for sure. More in line with the REmake titles. The new engine is a lot better, so we may see 1080p/720p come back despite a more graphically demanding game, but I would definitely think we'll see a variable frame rate/unlocked.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm very curious about the visuals. I trust Capcom to make something very good looking. RE5 and RE6 still look good and Revelations on 3DS was incredible looking for the hardware.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
when the game is revealed people will go "this is surely running on a pc/switch successor" much like they did Rise. because Switch can't possibly put out anything better than an up-rezzed 3DS game

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
when the game is revealed people will go "this is surely running on a pc/switch successor" much like they did Rise. because Switch can't possibly put out anything better than an up-rezzed 3DS game
To be entirely fair the Switch Pro might already be announced or released by the time this RE game is announced, so they might be right this time!

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
There's probably a couple, just look at how people reacted when they learned that Horizon, Halo or Spider-Man was gonna be cross-gen.
Still, I don't feel like that's a fair comparison you're making. There's a difference between games releasing on ps4/xbox or next gen systems and being ported to pc and games releasing on switch and then being ported to pc. Ones clearly the weaker system. That's just fact. It's not just about resolution and fps but graphics, physics, animations, scope etc.
If they need another version of their engine just to make games on the platform it's definitely a different situation.

Anyway, I love my switch, and will definitely pick this up because I love the series and the return of Rebecca is really exciting but, I can't say I'm not disappointed knowing that they're first and foremost developing it for weaker hardware when we've seen what they're capable of with RE7-8 and the remakes. It'll feel like a step back in my opinion. For visuals that is.

Last edited:

Estizzle

Jan 14, 2019
Interesting. Just finished my first RE game (RE7) so I'm excited to play more. Will probably end up picking this up on launch!

BreakAtmo

Nov 12, 2017
Australia
This stuff isn't really new honestly, I've kind of have been talking about it for almost a year now. Though one thing I realized within the last year... This is going to take a bit of explaining, but there was a point in time I thought Village and Revelations 3 were the same, but that wasn't the case. Some may recall when Village was near announcing, I said it was to star three characters, and I had heard Chris, Ethan, Rebecca, but Rebecca was getting the boot for another new female character in Village.

So where my confusion came from is originally I had heard about Revelations 3 in 2017, heard it was being developed with Switch in mind, and it'd be starring Rebecca. I did not hear about the game again until 2018, I first heard the game was going to release in 2021/2022 for everything & be a cross-gen title, and later someone told me details about "Revelations 3", which was it had Chris and Ethan from RE7 as well as a third character, it would take place in some snowy European mountains, and was "very RE4 like".

So in retrospective, this was Village. I also found out closer to Village's announcement that Village was a side game that went back to being RE8 like, a year ago or so? Anyways, at the time with the pieces I heard, I though Rev 3 & Village were the same thing, and I did think that for a time.

However, I had another person who swore up & down to me that Village was NEVER Revelations 3 and I was wrong in reporting that. And within the last few months especially, I now know that is true and I realized due to one person telling me about Village as Rev 3, I had a lot of wires crossed between the two. Sometimes that happens, Village was not always RE8, there was another game that was RE8 in 2018 especially, but Village was an undecided side game just called Village, Rev 3 was something else entirely.

More confusingly both of them starred three characters, were in dev around the same time, were both aiming for a release close to each other. I actually do get how some who told me might've had some wired crossed at the time. There's certain other things I said about Village that were actually for Rev 3 some months ago, but I won't say any more than that.

The only other thing I'm going to throw out there so it's clear later I'm not bullshitting is Rebecca is no longer white, she always had faces based off of Japanese models, but for Outrage she'll be Asian rather than white.

Anyways, I'm not going to talk anymore about it. Now is Village time, I am excited for Outrage, but Village deserves the attention for the moment. Right now the public doesn't know very much about Outrage, and I think it's better that way.

Honestly the weirdest thing about this to me is the idea that the Village title predated the game being RE8. It seems to so clearly be the one word they could fit an VIII into.