• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

psychedelic

Oct 30, 2017
You mean the game that sold 7 million copies and is the third best selling game Capcom has released?

Also the game that forced them to change direction with the next entry due to abysmal reception.

Anyway, if this somehow also means Ace Attorney games get ported to ps4 to reach a larger audience, I am in.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't they just sell 40% of MHW's total sales in Japan alone? Seems a bit strange to downplay Japan's sales potential when they managed to do that on a console.

<7 million PS4s in Japan = less than 10% of HC global market.

We can throw Switch and XB1 in there and it wouldn't make a difference.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom hasn't made a game that I have liked since UvMC3, so...yeah, any change in strategy is good.

If they are going the "games meant for eSports" route, CAPCOM FIGHTING ALL-STARS, please! My Dreamcast had approximately fifteen different Capcom fighting game IPs on it, so yeah, we'll never go back to those days, but let's just jam all those IPs into a slick, fast tag fighter please.

Also bring back Capcom Bowling, thx.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Time to greenlight Dragon's Dogma 2 and go for the open world RPG crowd. This time hire some experienced RPG writers and develop the tools needed to create quests easily.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
Propping up the multi-platform DMC4 barely 2 million sales at the height of last gen as "solid" is exactly why that franchise went on ice for so long.
DMC4 was a big success for Capcom, it was projected to sell around 1.8m and it sold 2.3m(first FY)! Actually, DMC4 success is why DMC wasn't shelved when DMC team was making Dragon Dogma, they wanted another game fast which is how we got DmC!

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
DMC4 was a big success for Capcom, it was projected to sell around 1.8m and it sold 2.3m(first FY)! Actually, DMC4 success is why DMC wasn't shelved when DMC team was making Dragon Dogma, they wanted another game fast which is how we got DmC!

I think his point is that 2 million units sold is on the lower end of what Capcom hopes to sell. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter sell a lot more.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Will that expand DMC's following tough?

A compromise like this:

Base: 30 FPS
Pro/X: 60 FPS

Doesn't sound too far-fetched. That will satiate the core audience and probably lure in more players. Let's be honest, these hypothetical new players will likely value a visual upgrade more than 60 FPS.

How about no.

What might help DMC V more than graphixxx is improving the general art style, particularly the environments. In DMC4 they looked okay, but sterile and lifeless in places. That is one thing DmC had over DMC4.

Time to greenlight Dragon's Dogma 2 and go for the open world RPG crowd. This time hire some experienced RPG writers and develop the tools needed to create quests easily.

I'm sure that's coming after DMC V. They're not going to do a DD2 without Itsuno and right now he and his team (DMC team = DD team) are busy.

Kufkah

Permanently banned for usage of an alt-account.
Oct 26, 2017
I think his point is that 2 million units sold is on the lower end of what Capcom hopes to sell. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter sell a lot more.
Not at the time, in 2008, 2.3 millions in the first FY year was Monster Hunter level of success, and just under RE games!

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Capcom is too cheap and risk-averse. If they go all-in, they make sure one of the big 3 eats most of the sunk cost.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Bring back Gargoyles Quest, Demon's Crest, Ghouls and Ghosts and Dragon's Dogma and watch the millions roll in. Well probably not, but you'll have made me happy at least and isn't that just as important?

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hinging their business decisions on the success of one game seems like a really stupid decision to me. But then again with their mobile efforts continuously failing I'm not sure what else they could do for growth.

I mean a few individuals said MHW wouldn't be a success on consoles in the west but look what happened there.

Yet this strategy only worked for Monster Hunter. Resident Evil VII, Dead Rising 4, Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom all lost sales in comparison to previous entries by trying to appeal to the west. Capcom is just letting the gap between them and the other jp publishers grow bigger by going so hard into a single direction.

This statement by them, as the OP is highlighting, is after the release of MHW. All the games you mentioned came before it. RE7 shipped more than 5m, SFV has sold more than 2m (we don't know the AE numbers yet) and still makes a lot of money on DLC with more years to go and so the only one in the list that did bad was probably MvCi.

Your narrarive that the sales were not met for these titles because they appealed to the "west" is also a very weak one - it's more to do with the fact that RE7 came after a title that was underwhelming, changed to a different perspective and had more horror elements while SFV had a bad launch.

Again, I think you're trying to pick a bone with Capcom that is not really related to topic at hand. It's fairly obvious from the success of MHW that this strategy worked and if they wish to replicate that for their other titles, both big and small, then I don't see how it's a bad thing.

Deleted member 1074

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
honestly wouldnt mind a nioh type option for cinematic mode (high graphics 30fps) and performance mode (medium graphics 60fps) for dmcv

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom might be the one Japanese major third party publisher that actually can. They're very good with action games -- the main genre of the western console market.

Capcom has also historically had action game franchises that are uncommonly popular in western markets compared to other Japanese games: Resident Evil, Mega Man (in the distant past), Street Fighter, Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry, etc. The potential is there. Monster Hunter World is probably a really good start.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom might be the one Japanese major third party publisher that actually can. They're very good with action games -- the main genre of the western console market.

Capcom has also historically had action game franchises that are uncommonly popular in western markets compared to other Japanese games: Resident Evil, Mega Man (in the distant past), Street Fighter, Dragon's Dogma, Devil May Cry, etc. The potential is there. Monster Hunter World is probably a really good start.
Resident Evil and Street Fighter (2 and 4 only really) were the only ones with substantial sales behind them. Megaman while a fanfavorite wasn't really a super strong performer and lost all relevance past the EXE games (which weren't really megaman games anyway).

They were cheap to make so we got many of them, that's about it.

MHW is probably their forst Worldwide phenomenon since the first Resident Evil game

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Where's Deep Down......?

I have faith in capcom.... but please don't try and chase esports too hard. Not everyone can Model around that.

Just take your time with quality games that reimagine your franchises. Just look at God of War, Zelda, Mario. Hell even RE7 did a good job of changing up the formula.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yet this strategy only worked for Monster Hunter. Resident Evil VII, Dead Rising 4, Street Fighter V and Marvel vs Capcom all lost sales in comparison to previous entries by trying to appeal to the west. Capcom is just letting the gap between them and the other jp publishers grow bigger by going so hard into a single direction.
For Street Fighter V, I wouldn't say so much catering to the west, but more catering to esports and the hardcore demographic is what cause it to underperform. They abandoned the casual fighting game players by having little in the game for casual players to do compared to previous entries.

BDubsLegend

Banned
Jan 24, 2018
Glad to see Japanese devs smartly considering the west in their plans. If Capcom can continue to develop games at the same level as monster hunter world we will be in for some treats. It's time a Japanese Dev joined the ranks of Ubisoft, EA, Activision and Take Two.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This the reason why Capcom went downhill last gen, they're trying too hard to look western and changed their IP's aesthetics and gameplay to appeal to that market. Many old IPs were shafted thanks to this direction. I hope they realise they're first and foremost a japanese dev and it's written by it's history and legacy in the biz.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This has kinda been Capcom's MO since the PS2 era onwards to be honest. Shadow of Rome, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Remember Me, Dark Void, DmC, Resident Evil series, Onimusha 3, Dino Crisis series are all examples of this and the devs said as much, they've always made lots of games catered to Western tastes, some tried and failed and some blew up in popularity (most recent Monster Hunter). They've just got to make and actually release more games, since compared to previous gens they've been slow as molasses this gen.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Make a new Dino Crisis like RE6 and a new Onimusha Souls Style and you will have more million sellers in the west.

Pls Capcom.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017
Give me REmake 2, new Onimusha, and bring back RE Outbreak. Makes no sense why they haven't brought it back especially in the age of the internet. Not everybody had internet and not every player had a ps2 network adapter so of course the game might fail.

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Start with fixing and updating
blogmvci.png

Thank god for the Monster Hunter Team. Seems like they are the only group able to produce anything of quality recently.

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Monster Hunter has been aching for a big budget multiplatform game for the last decade. I'm not so sure they have any other franchises ready to break out like MH. Also, I'm not sure the sequel to MHW will sell as well. The brand is certainly well established now as a core console franchise, but the sales were just SO high there had to be a lot of speculative buys from people that were marginally interested and now won't be back for the sequel.

In other words, I think MHW might have been lightning in a bottle for Capcom. I hope I'm wrong.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
This has kinda been Capcom's MO since the PS2 era onwards to be honest. Shadow of Rome, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Remember Me, Dark Void, DmC, Resident Evil series, Onimusha 3, Dino Crisis series are all examples of this and the devs said as much, they've always made lots of games catered to Western tastes, some tried and failed and some blew up in popularity (most recent Monster Hunter). They've just got to make and actually release more games, since compared to previous gens they've been slow as molasses this gen.
This goes back to the talent discussion. They don't have as many people at Capcom that actually make games as they did in the past.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
New IPs goddammit, you can't compete the west with what you currently have Capcom, save for RE and SF.
Wrong. Capcom has the greatest set of IP in gaming outside of Nintendo. They need to open up the vault and reinvent one from their catalog. Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Viewtiful Joe, Asura's Wrath, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Ace Attorney, Breath of Fire, Rival Schools etc....

Oct 25, 2017
Esports, which has been garnering attention throughout the globe, provides the perfect opportunity for us to compete on the world stage.
So they are aiming to make more multiplayer games, I guess? Honestly, at this point I'm not sure esports are a better way to compete in the AAA space compared to single player experiences.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is exactly why the almost went backrupt a few years ago...

Wrong. Capcom has the greatest set of IP in gaming outside of Nintendo. They need to open up the vault and reinvent one from their catalog. Onimusha, Dino Crisis, Viewtiful Joe, Asura's Wrath, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Ace Attorney, Breath of Fire, Rival Schools etc....
They won't do this though because these games will only make good money instead of chart #1 for months in a row.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Considering how well MHW did, this makes sense. They should be pursuing global success using very Japanese ideas. It's been proven to work.

The problem last gen was Capcom trying to make Western games and thinking they were good at it instead of trying to make games that can sell everywhere.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
REVII is in no way an attempt to appeal to the west. You change an action packed shooter with co-op into a single player horror game and you expect the west will eat it up? REVII is an attempt to save budget, that's it. Also, how come SFV's incomplete launch an attempt to appeal to the west? The west like their game skimmed? And MvC:I too, the west love ugly models and piss poor roster? Dead Rising is none existent in Japan in the first place, so what's wrong with "appeal to the west"? Don't make excuse for Capcom's bad games. They were not trying to appeal to the west, they appeal to nobody.

... do you even realize what you are writing here? None of these games can make a dent in today's market. These brands, except AA since its budget is way lower, are dead, with good reason.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
... do you even realize what you are writing here? None of these games can make a dent in today's market. These brands, except AA since its budget is way lower, are dead, with good reason.
They could easily take anyone of those and reinvent it a bit like they did RE7. Anything can make a dent in the market in gaming today if it is made well and promoted properly, look at Nier: Automata.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They could easily take anyone of those and reinvent it a bit like they did RE7. Anything can make a dent in the market in gaming today if it is made well and promoted properly, look at Nier: Automata.
Are you saying Capcom should compete against western AAA publishers globally with games like Nier: Automata? Because there is no competition, they already lost.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Please Capcom can't afford to. They heavily outsource their games barely have any in house staff as it is already. If they actually try to compete actual AAA games and studios more they will be bought out or go under after a few disasters. Whatever the next Dead Rising game is will be one of them.

Shadoken

Oct 25, 2017
Just take a look at the OP in this thread and the comparison between the companies: https://www.resetera.com/threads/konami-just-had-their-most-profitable-year-ever.41550/ I can't find now if % the gap is bigger (tho I think it is, I don't have the numbers to prove it now, so fine), but they're missing obvious money from a strong domestic performance.

About the games: RE7 was clearly made in response to western backlash to RE6 (also, it's a FPS), DR4 went even harder into realism to feel more like a western AAA title and both SFV/MvC had a bigger focus on e-sports over traditional modes and arcade presence. All these games had a pretty significant drop in Japan and drops in their worldwide numbers.

So theres no actual proof that Capcom is doing worse now. If anything they were probably a smaller publisher back in the PS2 Era compared to other Japanese publishers. ( Quality =/= Sales ). They didnt have MH or SF during that era , and many people refer to it as their Capgod era.

RE6 got backlash worldwide , but ok making it a FPS Horror maybe western inspired ( Even though Silent Hill was also headed in this direction ). DR4 IS a western game , its made by Capcom Vancouver.

If SFV and MvC were inspired by "Western" fighting games like MKX and Injustice 2, they would be packed with content not release with barebones modes. If you are referring to MvC artstyle then that is because of Marvel Games.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Are you saying Capcom should compete against western AAA publishers globally with games like Nier: Automata? Because there is no competition, they already lost.
No I'm not saying that at all. All I'm saying is that Capcom doesn't need new IP when they have a vault of IP that have enough name recognition where they can just use one of those.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Resident evil 6 was a big commerical success though

DmC is the 3rd best selling DMC ,its never been a high selling franchise highest its 3m which is 4 followed by 3 at 2.3 then DmC at 2.2
DmC is very feasible I'd love a DmC x DMC 5 game

Lmao as I said before and above dmc was never a crazy seller dmc is up there in sales

Not all franchises are going to be 5 million+ sellers. Trying to turn everything into a 5m+ seller is what got so many companies into trouble last generation.

DmC sold that much after bargain bin discounts. It was supposed to sell 2 million in 3 months. It sold 1.1 million. It took another 5 years to sell 2 million. DMC 4 sold 2 million first month against an expectation of 1.8 million and proceeded to sell another 500k in the next 5 months and sold at least another 500k after that. It's very obvious why they're going back to OG Devil May Cry.