• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
What's the password to start on the last stage for Kid Dracula? The codes on the internet don't work for some reason

Ardiloso

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
So what is this madness? Just because my language is portuguese, the game menus are displayed entirely on japanese. If I want the english texts, I must change my language to english.

"Well, if we don't have their language as an option, let's just default the game to japanese, they sure can read it and never heard about this moon language called english" -Castlevania Collection director.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
This talk about Stage 6 of SCIV just reminds me how I'm always thrown for a loop by the sheer bum rushing speed of the white suited ghost, old geezer has PACE

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
So what is this madness? Just because my language is portuguese, the game menus are displayed entirely on japanese. If I want the english texts, I must change my language to english.

"Well, if we don't have their language as an option, let's just default the game to japanese, they sure can read it and never heard about this moon language called english" -Castlevania Collection director.

wait, there's japanese language on yours? does it change the language of the games or are they still the western versions?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Finished off CV2. Still not quite sure what I think of it, its definitely not up to the standard of the other mainline CV games, but I still really enjoyed the game quite a bit, no doubt thanks to the soundtrack. Its a flawed gem I guess, as the whole Metroidvania approach would be tried again in the future and work oh so well down the line. I think I'll start the second GB game next...

monstar

Oct 25, 2017
Why is the standard 4:3 display so much smaller than 4:3 with scan lines? Why can't I make the standard display any bigger?

I'm glad I have a way to buy these legitimately, but this seems like some pretty basic stuff

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Finally did my first playthrough of Castlevania: The Adventure.

That game is not very good, lol.

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I am trying to beat Soleiyu in Belmont'srevenge, I can't find any valid strategy other than trying to predict what he does and find small openings. I read japanese version has time stop and crosses.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to beat Soleiyu in Belmont'srevenge, I can't find any valid strategy other than trying to predict what he does and find small openings. I read japanese version has time stop and crosses.

He has a loop that he follows to an extent. If you have an axe, that's great, because fuck holy water.

Dracula is harder, but at least it's easier to get back to him

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I'll tell you what felt good today... playing a bunch of Castlevania 3 and then firing up Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon for the first time. Holy shit of the latter ain't a lovely ode to ClassicVania. I'd gladly take more entries like that (as well as Iga Bloodstained too obviously!).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So, what is the verdict on this collection? Castlevania is a series I've only played a little of over the years. It's one of the few classic series that I just kind of missed. Tempted to grab this on PS4.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So, what is the verdict on this collection? Castlevania is a series I've only played a little of over the years. It's one of the few classic series that I just kind of missed. Tempted to grab this on PS4.

I played through all of these in sequential order up to the Igavania's for the very first time last summer, through a combination of New 3DS and emulation. I absolutely ADORED them but if this collection were out back then, and this would be my first ever way to play these titles, I'd personally consider it an absolute dream to be honest.

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

In terms of emulation it's mostly good, no real glaring issues or problems like input lag and such. The extra menu is also really robust, but it's not the most feature rich compilation either. If you just mean in terms of the game quality.. Castlevania 1, 3, 4, bloodline and maybe the second GB title are all golden experiences, not sure about Kid Dracula yet. The original GB game is garbage and Simon's Quest is pretty alright.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished SCIV, god damn the boss rush in the end of the game is hard as heck, again I don't know why people imply that SCIV is easy, unless they played the first stages, decided that they played enough of the game, and then drop it

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
Finished SCIV, god damn the boss rush in the end of the game is hard as heck, again I don't know why people imply that SCIV is easy, unless they played the first stages, decided that they played enough of the game, and then drop it
yes it is challenging, hardest games though must be the nes and gameboy ones.

OneThirtyEight

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I made it to the second stage in the castle(before saving to socialaize) and don't think it's easy, but its the least difficult game to me so far comparing it to 1,2,3, Game Boy games and Bloodlines. I have a feeling i'm gonna get my ass kicked in the final stages.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Simon's Quest for the first time in my life after having avoided it due to how it's talked about on the internet, and I'm actually quite enjoying it. It's definitely not on the level of 1 or 3, but it's more playable and reasonable to me than, say, Zelda 2 or Metroid. It's weirdly relaxing in a way, which makes it a nice little diversion from the majority of the rest of the games in the collection.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I've never played any of the classics games before, and my only major exposure to the series at all has been through the Netflix show. So far I've only played a bunch of Super Castlevania IV and like five minutes each of the two Game Boy games, but the emulation is fine so far, and I'm having fun with two of the three games I mentioned. Definitely recommend the collection (at least on Switch).

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
He has a loop that he follows to an extent. If you have an axe, that's great, because fuck holy water.

I'm convinced the only purpose of holy water in that game is to make you accidentally pick it up and replace your axe. I never found an instance where I would have wanted it, and the axe was vital for so many parts of the game (particularly the last two bosses).

There is that part in Rock Castle where you can use it to light up rooms (which is a bit nonsensical) but even that can be worked around.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And that's Belmont's Revenge completed.

I can't believe I beat three of these games in a day, lol.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I've never played any of the classics games before, and my only major exposure to the series at all has been through the Netflix show. So far I've only played a bunch of Super Castlevania IV and like five minutes each of the two Game Boy games, but the emulation is fine so far, and I'm having fun with two of the three games I mentioned. Definitely recommend the collection (at least on Switch).

I played through all of these in sequential order up to the Igavania's for the very first time last summer, through a combination of New 3DS and emulation. I absolutely ADORED them but if this collection were out back then, and this would be my first ever way to play these titles, I'd personally consider it an absolute dream to be honest.

In terms of emulation it's mostly good, no real glaring issues or problems like input lag and such. The extra menu is also really robust, but it's not the most feature rich compilation either. If you just mean in terms of the game quality.. Castlevania 1, 3, 4, bloodline and maybe the second GB title are all golden experiences, not sure about Kid Dracula yet. The original GB game is garbage and Simon's Quest is pretty alright.

Thanks!

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Can you create a savestate before Dracula in Castlevania 3, defeat him with each character to unlock the related trophies without beating the whole game with different characters?

No. You can only acquire a companion at specific points in the game, and when they join, you lose any previous ones.

Just use passwords from Gamefaqs or something and do the last stage.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
for real, anyone know if you have to beat 3 & bloodlines with all characters to get the gold trophy? don't know if I'm committing to that one or not

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
And now I'm getting into the Castlevania games I have beaten before. Just beat Super Castlevania IV.

(I may or may not have spent all day playing Castlevania games, lol.)

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Used the password to reach A-1 with Alucard, killed Dracula with Alucard (but also used Trevor for the second form).
I got the trophy to complete the game with Alucard. I reloaded the savestate, killed Dracula with Belmont this time but no trophy? How this works and why?

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
CV2 is the easiest of the three NES games. You don't need a guide.

It may not be needed but the game would have become pretty insufferable without it. There is no map of any kind in the game and having to throw holy water onto every area to avoid falling through false floors in dungeons is stupid. Tons of hint books and other things are basically just hidden in random walls as well. Basically you'd spend 3x the time wandering and lost in a world that isn't interesting enough to do so in. Top it off with the bad translation and the fact villagers will outright mislead you, it balls up to be a rather tedious experience.

Using a guide allowed me to experience the game without 80 percent of the dead weight and thus made it enjoyable, not to say someone couldn't find it as such without a guide but i'd wager most people simply don't want to devote that kind of a time to a game that isn't that good in the first place. I can definitely see why kid me hated this game, I never would have figured out to kneel here for 5 seconds with this item equipped or to drop cloves of garlic in random spots to find shit using the guidance the game gave you at that age. I'd say if someone is using a guide they can determine pretty early on if they don't need it, where as someone who should have used a guide will probably be annoyed to a point of just quitting when they realize they basically accomplished nothing.

I'm glad I got to tour the overall game and appreciate it more for what it tried to do. Had it had a built in map system, quest log, proper translation, and didn't rely on false floors to make the dungeons more difficult, i'd say it could have been an amazing game. As is, it's just alright. Having beaten Zelda 2 for the first time recently as well it does amaze me how similar the games are while still retaining their own unique elements. Vania actually has the better structure in my mind but its flaws really weigh it down, and being real the combat isn't near as good.

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Used the password to reach A-1 with Alucard, killed Dracula with Alucard (but also used Trevor for the second form).
I got the trophy to complete the game with Alucard. I reloaded the savestate, killed Dracula with Belmont this time but no trophy? How this works and why?

I assume by only Trevor it means not taking on any of the companions throughout the game, not just only using Trevor to beat Drac

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just beat Castlevania 1 without save states. Felt great.
The Adventure though... I'm saving on every screen, lol. I'm halfway through it, what a chore. Still, I don't mind it being included, it's still worth it as a history lesson.
The ebook is kinda nice aside from some typos here and there. I found it pretty funny that they had a blurb explaining what the term metroidvania means, haha.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
I was playing this and ZL stopped working so I couldn't access the menu. Closing the software didn't fix it, rebooting the console did.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol what? 4 is far, far easier than the Famicom/NES and Game Boy games, with the exception of 2 which is mostly easy on an action level.
No way. 4 makes projectiles/platforming much harder in later levels. Castlevania 1 is easy mode except for that one boss and the gameboy games are just hard for platforming reasons.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Castlevania 1's difficulty is highly dependent on you keeping that holy water + II/III power up that you get early on. If you do, it's easy. If not, you're gonna have a rough time with two bosses in particular. The actual stages themselves aren't all that hard either way.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
I can confirm you can get the character related trophies in Castlevania 3 by using the passwords to start from A-01 with specific characters.