• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a good resource for trans charities around the world? Wondering if Finland has any good ones or if I should be donating to a more international one(s).

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
i'm not familiar with much in terms of trans charities, but there's so many posts on a lot of social media (especially twitter) or crowdfunding sites where trans people ask for money to help with either transition costs or just struggling to pay for food/rent that you can just directly donate to them if you want, a lot of them don't have access to said charities and you can be reasonably certain the money's directly going to a trans person in need. if you want ones that are "guaranteed" trustworthy and you don't know anyone, i guarantee you just about any trans friend you have will be able to get you a list of people who could use it in minutes

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
If you are in the US, you can also support Transgender Law Center. I have only heard good things from them, and they have a very high rating on charity analysis sights.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Is there a good resource for trans charities around the world? Wondering if Finland has any good ones or if I should be donating to a more international one(s).
Yeah I was thinking about this earlier too and I thought of SETA. They have a link for a charity towards trans children/youth and families specifically. https://seta.fi/tue/translasten-ja-nuorten-perheet-ry/

Considering there's essentially forced sterilization (even though it's framed as an inability to reproduce) in Finland, there's a lot of work to be done. So any help people can give is severely needed. We're badly behind the times on this.

Last edited:

Steak

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not entirely convinced that donating to a charity meaningfully offsets supporting transphobic business but

I would like to suggest for the UK to donate to Gendered Intelligence over Mermaids. There's nothing specifically wrong with Mermaids but Gendered Intelligence is Trans-led where Mermaids is not, and Mermaids tends to get the bulk of the money/mindshare anyway.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'm genuinely sorry but the amount of "can't wait for this" in yet another hype thread shows how this whole timed ot nonsense isn't doing anything. People are laughing about the icon of the website now, and I can't even fault them.

edit closed now it seems?
edit only redirected to another CP thread.
edit apparently this is going to be a civil war

Last edited:

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Like already mentioned, raise awareness wherever you can. Even if you decide to buy the game, you can match the money to donate to a trans charity.

Trans-fuzja (Poland)
Lambda (Poland)
Mermaids (UK)
Trans Justice Funding Project (USA)
Has anyone actually looked at the trans-fuzja website? In addition to being extremely questionable and unhelpful, the site is pretty much dead. Currently, this foundation appears to function mostly as a facebook page.
It doesn't look like something you should be promoting.

Lambda Warszawa is an LGBT organization, but it's not a trans charity.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I was thinking about this earlier too and I thought of SETA. They have a link for a charity towards trans children/youth and families specifically. https://seta.fi/tue/translasten-ja-nuorten-perheet-ry/

Considering there's essentially forced sterilization (even though it's framed as an inability to reproduce) in Finland, there's a lot of work to be done. So any help people can give is severely needed. We're badly behind the times on this.

Thanks, that one looks good to me. And yeah, Finland is woefully behind in a lot of stuff, really.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm genuinely sorry but the amount of "can't wait for this" in yet another hype thread shows how this whole timed ot nonsense isn't doing anything. People are laughing about the icon of the website now, and I can't even fault them.

Nah, it's not going to be a war.

It's going to come to the point where we Trans either are forced to leave out of simple weariness or stay knowing this is never going to be a safe space for us.

The fact is even the mod team has to know this half way measure will and is not working, but they are trying to be *fair*.

The best part is Era exists because someone from the old site was a Transphobic sexual predator, and now all these years later when it's finally time to show this site is different, no one can still bring themselves to put the axe to CDPR or Harry Potter.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Lambda Warszawa is an LGBT organization, but it's not a trans charity.
I make an exception for this one, Poland is in a dire enough situation that any help and support we can give our brothers and sisters is good. Even though, realistically, much of that aid will not aid trans people directly and instead focus on more of the LGB aspects as that is the easier battle to fight there at the moment.

I will say, I think the vetting and examination process of recommended charities is very admirable and necessary, and I am glad that we are conscious enough of it as a community to do that research.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany

It's going to come to the point where we Trans either are forced to leave out of simple weariness or stay knowing this is never going to be a safe space for us.

The fact is even the mod team has to know this half way measure will and is not working, but they are trying to be *fair*.

The best part is Era exists because someone from the old site was a Transphobic sexual predator, and now all these years later when it's finally time to show this site is different, no one can still bring themselves to put the axe to CDPR or Harry Potter.
I hate it but I agree. It sucks and I can only imagine the discussions about this between mods :/ I still don't understand the point of defense being "but if we have a thread, we can educate!" while i'm looking at a thread right now, in which people are being discarded as "complainers" shutting down threads "for some reason", if they're not being entirely ignored.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I've only donated to foreign charities in the past, as things have seemed worse there, but I suppose things probably aren't great here either.
RFSL (Sweden)

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

I don't see how you can use the trans flag and also harbor discussion of the game that isn't addressing it's clear transphobia or other problematic aspects of the company. There are a million other places to discuss and celebrate/hype the game on the internet.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hate it but I agree. It sucks and I can only imagine the discussions about this between mods :/ I still don't understand the point of defense being "but if we have a thread, we can educate!" while i'm looking at a thread right now, in which people are being discarded as "complainers" shutting down threads "for some reason", if they're not being entirely ignored.

Those posts show this for the farce it is.

Mods, Cis Allies, and even Trans people who want to believe that this can be salvaged are simply mistaken. They show they aren't reading the Mod posts, they aren't caring, hell they likely have Trans People/Threads and Allies ignored.

The worst part isn't them showing their asses either, because they are like weeds and for every one they ban it only empowered other shit heads, encourages others to be willfully blind at best or spread their shit at worst.

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Those posts show this for the farce it is.

Mods, Cis Allies, and even Trans people who want to believe that this can be salvaged are simply mistaken. They show they aren't reading the Mod posts, they aren't caring, hell they likely have Trans People/Threads and Allies ignored.

The worst part isn't them showing their asses either, because they are like weeds and for every one they ban it only empowered other shit heads, encourages others to be willfully blind at best or spread their shit at worst.

Yeah, I can hold out hope that it will go well and that people will be able to have the discussions they are due for this concession. But time and again things have proven otherwise, so I'm doubtful. I hate having to be a watchdog for it and being so assertive all the time, but I will do what I have to.

Not to say the mods and black chamber haven't been accommodating in their personal responses, but I do not think the community response will be quite as productive as assumed.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
I make an exception for this one, Poland is in a dire enough situation that any help and support we can give our brothers and sisters is good. Even though, realistically, much of that aid will not aid trans people directly and instead focus on more of the LGB aspects as that is the easier battle to fight there at the moment.

I will say, I think the vetting and examination process of recommended charities is very admirable and necessary, and I am glad that we are conscious enough of it as a community to do that research.
Sure, I just wanted to clarify that money donated to Lambda isn't going to be a sign of support for this specific cause. It doesn't really offset supporting CDPR.
In my experience, they seem to refer to trans-fuzja on trans-related issues, which is kinda mind-boggling.

Jack Bauer

Banned
Jun 14, 2019

Hey there. I made the post about that thread being shut down "for some reason."

I was simply commenting that the thread was closed with no mod explanation as to why. I didn't know it was related to this because I didn't take the time to go through all the posts.

I'm sorry.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Hey there. I made the post about that thread being shut down "for some reason."

I was simply commenting that the thread was closed with no mod explanation as to why. I didn't know it was related to this because I didn't take the time to go through all the posts.

I'm sorry.
No worries, I misunderstood then, obviously. I'm sorry as well for dragging your post into this :D

Kyrona

Jul 9, 2020
Sure, I just wanted to clarify that money donated to Lambda isn't going to be a sign of support for this specific cause. It doesn't really offset supporting CDPR.
In my experience, they seem to refer to trans-fuzja on trans-related issues, which is kinda mind-boggling.
Oh yeah, I wasn't referring to that. If people are looking to donate more power to them, I was just to share options and say that I feel like it is a good charity to support. (The rest of this is to the thread, not you)

With that said: every dollar does count, and I truly appreciate people donating to support. Please follow through if you have said you were going to do so already and don't be disheartened by what I am about to say.

However
, I personally believe that the idea of 'offsetting' in situations like this is complete bullshit. There isn't a points system or karma system where this makes you more or less neutral. It's just not how the world works. Donate because you want to, because you are an ally- not to assuage your feelings of guilt. That is not what these charities are for. They are there to help people, and I take some umbrage with the mindset that leads to the idea of offsetting bad with good, because I feel as though it is using them for the wrong reasons.

I can't understate how important it is for people to donate and how much it means. Just be aware of your intentions and personal motivations in doing so when you do.

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
However, I personally believe that the idea of 'offsetting' in situations like this is complete bullshit. There isn't a points system or karma system where this makes you more or less neutral. It's just not how the world works. Donate because you want to, because you are an ally- not to assuage your feelings of guilt. That is not what these charities are for. They are there to help people, and I take some umbrage with the mindset that leads to the idea of offsetting bad with good, because I feel as though it is using them for the wrong reasons.
yeah i super want to second that! if you feel bad enough about buying the game to want to "fix" that with something else, it might be good to take some time to introspect and dig into those feelings a little bit more. that's not to say you have to convince yourself to either play it guilt-free or avoid the game (though personally i would obviously prefer as many people as possible go for the latter), but it's worth examining guilt and discomfort and being honest about why exactly you feel that way (including why "let's offset this by donating" appeals as a solution)

i hope that's worded okay, i'm pretty bad with words. it's just weird seeing a lot of people say "i will do a thing i perceive as bad followed by a thing i perceive as good" as if life works like a video game and they'll cancel each other out. even if i can acknowledge this situation is "easier" for me because i'm not touching this game with a ten-foot pole and never wanted to.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017

I try not to post in these threads because i rarely have anything positive to say and i rarely have the energy to read posts about this topic.

But i just want to echo that sentiment.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
Yeah at this point the one day OT ban is trying to put a band-aid over a bullet wound. People are straight up dodging criticism left and right, and ignoring any mention of the discourse whenever someone brings it up.

Ownage516

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Troll Account
So I agree with everything posted here, but when it comes to ingame adverts, I sorta see CDPRs point. Advertisements sort of sexualize people to get looks. Basically it's "sex sells" but in a cyberpunk dystopian future. So the fact you take issue with it is sorta a good thing imo. Isn't that how it is with risqué advertisements, especially when portraying heterosexual women currently?

Obviously this doesn't excuse CDPR's other shit, so please don't misconstrue this as me saying "See? They're justified in *everything*." This is a genuine question.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I agree with everything posted here, but when it comes to ingame adverts, I sorta see CDPRs point. Advertisements sort of sexualize people to get looks. Basically it's "sex sells" but in a cyberpunk dystopian future. So the fact you take issue with it is sorta a good thing imo. Isn't that how it is with risqué advertisements, especially when portraying heterosexual women currently?

Obviously this doesn't excuse CDPR's other shit, so please don't misconstrue this as me saying "See? They're justified in *everything*." This is a genuine question.
The problem here is that we're talking about multiple instances of transphobia, not just the ads.

At that point you have to wonder if it's really just something that should make you feel bad. And with the amount of issues, yeah, it's transphobia.

Ownage516

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
The problem here is that we're talking about multiple instances of transphobia, not just the ads.

At that point you have to wonder if it's really just something that should make you feel bad. And with the amount of issues, yeah, it's transphobia.

I mean those twitter posts were already tell that some folks are transphobic, so yeah. I wonder how the rest of the dev team reacted

paranoodle

Nov 18, 2019
switzerland
even if this was somehow the only instance of transphobia (which, it obviously isn't), it's still massively transphobic because:
1) to quote the internet: "Satire requires a clarity of purpose and target lest it be mistaken for and contribute to that which it intends to criticize". this has neither. putting "sex sells" style ads that look very similar to real life ones and that are frequently used as promotional material for the game isn't any sort of satire or criticism of it, it's just... literally doing it. so even before we get into the transmisogyny of it it's already falling apart in terms of "they're trying"
2) it's not a coincidence that they specifically went for trans women for the the advertisements. there's a million different choices they could have gone for, and making that specific choice to target a demographic that is already heavily fetishized and demonized and to fetishize them further in a specifically dehumanizing way, is, well. that's cut-and-dry transmisogyny.
3) (many of) the people in this thread are taking issue with the transmisogyny, but do you really, truly think the average person is going to see this ad in the game and "take issue with it" instead of just going along with the fetishization or reacting mockingly (or both). we've already all seen the cosplay in the OP.

like yeah the fact that they've been transphobic about so many things definitely makes it way more blatant but honestly any of these things on their own (and especially the ads imho) is more than enough to warrant not giving them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to intent.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean those twitter posts were already tell that some folks are transphobic, so yeah. I wonder how the rest of the dev team reacted
I don't think it's just "some folks." When all the messaging coming from a company display transphobia, it's not just the community manager or an artist going loose. It's coming from higher management. Not to mention the artist responsible for the ad is the lead artist for the game.

Also, see the post above mine!

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't think it's just "some folks." When all the messaging coming from a company display transphobia, it's not just the community manager or an artist going loose. It's coming from higher management. Not to mention the artist responsible for the ad is the lead artist for the game.

Also, see the post above mine!
No community manager in a company this size gets to post whatever the fuck he wants.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've put aside the bad tweets that happened as outliers from bad apples and didn't think twice about the fetishized oversexualized nature of the in-game advertisements.

People are constantly reduced to the attractiveness of their body in adds, magazines and films today. A dystopian, future society being even more focused on that kind of exposure made sense to me. I think bad examples can stand on their own and don't necessarily need additional information. Though explanations can help in reducing missinterpretation.

But reading the OT made me hesitate a couple of times.

Chromanticore beverage. I understand that as an open, tasteless insult. There is nothing else to be said about that. I completely missed that one in the trailers.

"voice pitch" problem. I don't understand why a game, that wants to be seen as inclusive to trans people, intentionally messes up that important part of character creation.

Cosplay Fotoshooting. What's the message here? We are already as bad as the future we created in our dystopian fiction? Why don't take the chance to hire a trans model and do something more tasteful? I don't get it.

So I started reading the OT again and it dawned on me: CP2077 isn't inclusive to trans people, all it seems to care about is giving its players the option to create "chicks with dicks". And I don't mean that formulation as an insult, but I have the strong suspicion that that's how some people, who are calling the shots, at CDPR see trans people.

With that context in mind, I'm beginning to see a bigger problem with the in-game advertisements and their fetishized nature.
It's also more difficult to put the tweets aside as not being connected to this game's development.

Now some people will call me ignorant or stupid for taking that long and having to re-read the OT to even get an idea what the problem with CP 2077 is.
Fair enough, but thanks for the well written OT anyway.

I'm not going to play the game. Most RPGs don't even take notice of trans persons. But cp2077 is dangerously going in a different direction, while claiming to be the good, inclusive game.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Now some people will call me ignorant or stupid for taking that long and having to re-read the OT to even get an idea what the problem with CP 2077 is.
Absolutely not, I think you pretty much ended up right on the money. It takes a lot of self reflection to get past the "gee what will they complain about next" point, I'm sure most can confirm this with their own experiences.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Fair enough, but thanks for the well written OT anyway.

I'm not going to play the game. Most RPGs don't even take notice of trans persons. But cp2077 is dangerously going in a different direction, while claiming to be the good, inclusive game.
The fact that you were willing to analyze and learn the issues is absolutely admirable, and I want to give you mad props for coming to the decision to not support the game. They ain't getting a nickel from me, either.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I just wanted to say I'm sorry for you trans people going through this. I see how the game can be hurtful to you, as OP's post lays things out pretty clearly once I read it. I was caught up with the hype over the game but after seeing the last video and really digesting the OP's post I'll go ahead and pass.

Solidarity and all. I can't pretend to know what trans people go through but it's pretty much impossible to read the OP, look at what CDPR has presented us, and be OK with it.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
There are so many internet personalities that are in this game as either VA or actual characters, that either fight for LGBTQ+ rights or count themselves among them, that I haven't even seen comment on this.

I get that you can't appeal to the hearts and minds at a company if those people just don't really give a crap. And it's evident that they don't give a crap. At least they don't give a crap in the same sense that Ubi didn't give a crap about having prominent female characters. Which is to say, loads of people actually wanted it but were shot down.

But why aren't the outside people who are getting involved in this game confronting the reality of the company? I can't imagine someone like Erika Ishii standing for it. Or Alanah Pearce for that matter. I find it utterly bewildering.

Last edited:

Mobyduck

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Just to clarify, the idea of adding charities to donate to at the top of the OT is less to let people feel better about themselves buying the game, and more to try and find a silver lining on the whole thing. Whether we like it or not, they are a big company loved by Gamers, including here, and people will buy and discuss the game. It fucking sucks, but if we can get some people to donate, it's better than nothing.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There are so many internet personalities that are in this game as either VA or actual characters, that either fight for LGBTQ+ rights or count themselves among them, that I haven't even seen comment on this.
When someone cis claims to support LGBT rights it is best to assume they really mean that they support LGB rights until they prove otherwise.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
When someone cis claims to support LGBT rights it is best to assume they really mean that they support LGB rights until they prove otherwise.
This really needs to be stressed.

Don't get me wrong we have Allies in the LBG, however the LBGT is NOT always a community that stands together. We have huge issues regarding racism, the way PoC are expected to desire a white partner, and entire segments that feel that T should be removed from the LbGT.

SimonM7

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Oh, I absolutely agree, but Alanah came out as pan earlier this year, and Erika Iishi is non-binary. So what sort of mental gymnastics would result in being OK with this?

Unless this simply doesn't have the reach to enter the periphery of people who don't... I dunno... frequent these forums or otherwise pay attention. But the Obi-Wan actor thread blew up, so who knows.

May 26, 2018
Oh, I absolutely agree, but Alanah came out as pan earlier this year, and Erika Iishi is non-binary. So what sort of mental gymnastics would result in being OK with this?

Unless this simply doesn't have the reach to enter the periphery of people who don't... I dunno... frequent these forums or otherwise pay attention. But the Obi-Wan actor thread blew up, so who knows.

Aw man, Erika Ishii is all in for 2077 too?

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Really good post, learnt some stuff. To me what really stands out is the vibe that brings people together in understanding the context of an issue instead of just shaming people which I feel does the opposite of people often want. I think the hard part is for people to take meaningful action. Personally, I don't know if am in the state to change my consumer behaviour decisions on the political ideology of creators at this time. I've wrestled with the idea of denying my child Harry Potter because of the anti-trans ideology but I was only able to entertain those thoughts. Despite my failings, keep up the great work, your work is positioned in a way that's very educational and progressive.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
So I've had this post written-out in my mind for a while now, and I figured that I should post my thoughts on the "ban the game" discussion here.

As someone who's been following sites like GAF and ERA for almost a decade, I feel as if I know the general behavior of the members to know exactly what would happen should a ban on CDPR content happen.

I'm sorry to say this, but a ban on CDPR content will most likely do way more harm than it will good here. Before you respond to this post, I ask that you please hear me out on this.

A look at what Cyberpunk as a whole is should be had. That is to say, it's currently the most anticipated game of the generation. Not just on ERA, but across the entire gaming spectrum.

It having transphobic content is undeniable.

So why not ban it? Well, imagine the reaction for yourselves. Don't think about how you want people to react to such a ban, but think about how you know people will act.

While you'll have many of the LGBT community here praising the admins and mods for their bravery, that praise will undoubtedly be overtaken by the swarm of angry posters bashing the decision. The thread will have a massive wave of bans, with the overall message that people will take from the decision being a stigma of condemnation for anyone buying the game, despite what any message from the mods about it says.

If your first reaction to that is "Good, fuck those people.", think about what a reaction like that does for a moment. Bigoted gamers leaving the site is a good thing, yes. But with Cyberpunk being such a hotly anticipated title it cannot be assumed that everyone looking forward to the game has bigoted views. But with all the discussion related to the ban on CDPR content being completely overtaken by people screaming: "THE MODS SAID THAT EVERYONE WHO PLAYS CYBERPUNK IS A TRANSPHOBIC BIGOT!!!!1!", it won't be long before people simply leave the forum en masse to discuss the game elsewhere.

Of course it probably wouldn't be as big of an exodus as the GAF to ERA transition was, but it will certainly be a big loss of posters nonetheless. Said posters will move on to subreddits and Discord groups to talk about the game there. I think it goes without saying that subreddits and Discord groups dedicated to the game aren't exactly going to be as strictly moderated like ResetERA is, since said areas will be places most likely dedicated to the game completely.

What happens from there on is anybody's guess, but what's almost guaranteed is them not getting the kind of awareness of these issues there as they would here. If you want more awareness, you don't want the snowball effect of lots of people leaving the forum all at once.

Another thing that should be looked at is ResetERA's status as an online forum. How much influence does ResetERA have within the gaming community? Nowhere near as much as the old place used to have, I'd say. NeoGAF was mentioned at E3 before, it was name-dropped in Sunset Overdrive, and let's not forget that one time the "I'm an expert!" phrase was put into Persona 4's localization.

You can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that ResetERA has anything close to that kind of reach. Jim Sterling doesn't even post here, and he's one of the more vocal people about issues like these.

The point being, ResetERA is not a popular forum. Online forums in general have by and large been replaced by subreddits and Discord groups. ResetERA is pretty much the only one to my knowledge that hasn't been overtaken by bigots and right-wing trolls. If you want awareness to the issues regarding CDPR's transphobia, will an action that causes a not-insignificant part of ResetERA's userbase to leave the forum truly be the best course of action? Do you want people to learn and be vocal about the issues or do you just want them to move all discussion of the game elsewhere and not bother with it at all? Banning CDPR content from ResetERA won't outright kill the site, but it will definitely push the already rolling snowball of ResetERA's irrelevance further down the hill, making less and less people aware of these issues.

I can't see that being worth it. It may come off as a victory to you, but it will only be a short-term one, as it won't have much of an effect beyond maybe an article or two.

This is why I agree with the mods decision of locking the OT on its release date. This action alone will force people to at least turn their heads towards these issues. Banning it is just overkill. Banning Cyberpunk discussion is about as useful as setting up a blockade at a local McDonalds to stop people from eating meat. Like it or not, there are other McDonalds for people to go to and the most you'll accomplish with that are just a few screaming matches and being confrontational with strangers.

You may respond to that by saying that we SHOULD be confrontational, but the overall point that I'm trying to bring across here is that it just doesn't work.

Being confrontational with anybody, especially on the internet, never works. Even if the person being confronted is 100% wrong. Any time someone is angrily confronted by someone else online immediately triggers a defense mechanism within themselves that causes them to swell their egos up to say that they shouldn't be confronted, with all facts and logic being thrown out the window in the process.

If you do an action that is the equivalent of a confrontation to a mob of people excited to play a highly anticipated game, it won't lead to anything but frustration, personal attacks, harassment, and an overall lack of progress on this issue as a whole.

So what's the solution? Well, I don't have that answer. As I said, I agree with the decision the mods made for locking the OT on Cyberpunk 2077's release date. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. The only thing left for me to say here is well, I'm sorry for all the treatment you all must get here from others on a regular basis, and I hope on Cyberpunk's release day that this thread gets more attention.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I've had this post written-out in my mind for a while now, and I figured that I should post my thoughts on the "ban the game" discussion here.

As someone who's been following sites like GAF and ERA for almost a decade, I feel as if I know the general behavior of the members to know exactly what would happen should a ban on CDPR content happen.

I'm sorry to say this, but a ban on CDPR content will most likely do way more harm than it will good here. Before you respond to this post, I ask that you please hear me out on this.

A look at what Cyberpunk as a whole is should be had. That is to say, it's currently the most anticipated game of the generation. Not just on ERA, but across the entire gaming spectrum.

It having transphobic content is undeniable.

So why not ban it? Well, imagine the reaction for yourselves. Don't think about how you want people to react to such a ban, but think about how you know people will act.

While you'll have many of the LGBT community here praising the admins and mods for their bravery, that praise will undoubtedly be overtaken by the swarm of angry posters bashing the decision. The thread will have a massive wave of bans, with the overall message that people will take from the decision being a stigma of condemnation for anyone buying the game, despite what any message from the mods about it says.

If your first reaction to that is "Good, fuck those people.", think about what a reaction like that does for a moment. Bigoted gamers leaving the site is a good thing, yes. But with Cyberpunk being such a hotly anticipated title it cannot be assumed that everyone looking forward to the game has bigoted views. But with all the discussion related to the ban on CDPR content being completely overtaken by people screaming: "THE MODS SAID THAT EVERYONE WHO PLAYS CYBERPUNK IS A TRANSPHOBIC BIGOT!!!!1!", it won't be long before people simply leave the forum en masse to discuss the game elsewhere.

Of course it probably wouldn't be as big of an exodus as the GAF to ERA transition was, but it will certainly be a big loss of posters nonetheless. Said posters will move on to subreddits and Discord groups to talk about the game there. I think it goes without saying that subreddits and Discord groups dedicated to the game aren't exactly going to be as strictly moderated like ResetERA is, since said areas will be places most likely dedicated to the game completely.

What happens from there on is anybody's guess, but what's almost guaranteed is them not getting the kind of awareness of these issues there as they would here. If you want more awareness, you don't want the snowball effect of lots of people leaving the forum all at once.

Another thing that should be looked at is ResetERA's status as an online forum. How much influence does ResetERA have within the gaming community? Nowhere near as much as the old place used to have, I'd say. NeoGAF was mentioned at E3 before, it was name-dropped in Sunset Overdrive, and let's not forget that one time the "I'm an expert!" phrase was put into Persona 4's localization.

You can correct me if I'm wrong on this, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say that ResetERA has anything close to that kind of reach. Jim Sterling doesn't even post here, and he's one of the more vocal people about issues like these.

The point being, ResetERA is not a popular forum. Online forums in general have by and large been replaced by subreddits and Discord groups. ResetERA is pretty much the only one to my knowledge that hasn't been overtaken by bigots and right-wing trolls. If you want awareness to the issues regarding CDPR's transphobia, will an action that causes a not-insignificant part of ResetERA's userbase to leave the forum truly be the best course of action? Do you want people to learn and be vocal about the issues or do you just want them to move all discussion of the game elsewhere and not bother with it at all? Banning CDPR content from ResetERA won't outright kill the site, but it will definitely push the already rolling snowball of ResetERA's irrelevance further down the hill, making less and less people aware of these issues.

I can't see that being worth it. It may come off as a victory to you, but it will only be a short-term one, as it won't have much of an effect beyond maybe an article or two.

This is why I agree with the mods decision of locking the OT on its release date. This action alone will force people to at least turn their heads towards these issues. Banning it is just overkill. Banning Cyberpunk discussion is about as useful as setting up a blockade at a local McDonalds to stop people from eating meat. Like it or not, there are other McDonalds for people to go to and the most you'll accomplish with that are just a few screaming matches and being confrontational with strangers.

You may respond to that by saying that we SHOULD be confrontational, but the overall point that I'm trying to bring across here is that it just doesn't work.

Being confrontational with anybody, especially on the internet, never works. Even if the person being confronted is 100% wrong. Any time someone is angrily confronted by someone else online immediately triggers a defense mechanism within themselves that causes them to swell their egos up to say that they shouldn't be confronted, with all facts and logic being thrown out the window in the process.

If you do an action that is the equivalent of a confrontation to a mob of people excited to play a highly anticipated game, it won't lead to anything but frustration, personal attacks, harassment, and an overall lack of progress on this issue as a whole.

So what's the solution? Well, I don't have that answer. As I said, I agree with the decision the mods made for locking the OT on Cyberpunk 2077's release date. It's not perfect, but it's a step in the right direction. The only thing left for me to say here is well, I'm sorry for all the treatment you all must get here from others on a regular basis, and I hope on Cyberpunk's release day that this thread gets more attention.
The problem with this is that no one who would be willing to leave the forum if a ban happened is truly willing to learn. Again, I'm not trans, so I can't speak for them, but I am a minority, and I know how it feels to not be listened.

It's better to have a place with fewer members but who are willing to learn about these issues than a bigger, more relevant place that is full of people who prefer to turn a blind eye.

Nov 1, 2020
This thread has so many rules I was afraid to post a reply, but I wanted to say thank you to the OP for putting this all together and thank you to the mods for making it a sticky.

CDPR is a bummer. Huge bummer.