• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Apr 4, 2018
United States
I'm really inspired by his weight loss! I'm hoping that I can make the same progress soon.
Me as well... Now all I have to do is not despise exercise and a healthy lifestyle. I should probably lay off of the butterdogs too...
1491572972325.jpg

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
Fair. I'm just really finding the whole "Doug must've left!" thing really bizarre, because of all the people on the site, he has the least reason to bail and the least to gain from doing so. It feels like either wishful thinking, or that some people on the Internet are trying to paint Doug as a victim in all of this, which is why the image (and its associated rumors) keeps getting spread around and eventually finding its way back here.

Yeah, I have to say I'm incredibly confused whenever this pops up, particularly with the Facebook thing. Not only is Doug not really a victim (at worst he foolishly sold the rights to NC and let Michaud make a ton of money off of him, but even that doesn't matter if there's never a reason to dispute it) but he literally has no reason to leave as things are now. Even the most generous reading of what we know is that he's an incredibly incompetent doofus who was still willingly complicit in a ton of the bad things they've done. As far as I've seen, there's literally no evidence to suggest that the NC ownership thing is a thing he has ever cared about, or that he's ever had a problem with Michaud's handling of anything. He's not exactly suffering here, and the spotlight's back entirely on his show besides.

Meanwhile, if for some reason he did leave, would his first thought really be "oh, I gotta make me leaving Facebook Official"? Even before an announcement? I know they're all incompetent as hell, but that's a bit of a stretch. And if he was out, I bet Mialcom and Tamara would be out too. Regardless of whoever they're actually loyal to in the blackbox that is CA right now, it's not like Michaud can reasonably promise them they'll be stars without Doug, right? It'd be bizarre if they stuck around while he was bailing.

Frankly, the only person less likely to leave CA than Doug is Michaud himself.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
Malcolm's so good at creating huge self-important setup with no valuable payoff that he could write for the dceu

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, he did lose a ton of weight. Respect.
I feel bad that this is the first thing I noticed but Hestia above he's lost a lot of weight. I hope he's ok!

EDIT: Looked it up- apparently that's the result of dieting. I was worried he'd been severely ill.
I'm really inspired by his weight loss! I'm hoping that I can make the same progress soon.
He went from 300 lbs to about 180 & made a video about it. He recorded the moment he finally was under 200 lbs & you can just tell it was a very emotional moment for him.

Considering that video helped me to get healthy again (14 lbs lost in my first month), I'm just so glad I don't have to deal with another "this person who brought me entertainment & gave me motivation to make my life better turned out to be a bad person" situation. Hell, in general, I'm glad so many of the former contributers are leaving & aren't standing for this crap.

Kurona

Apr 12, 2018
He went from 300 lbs to about 180 & made a video about it. He recorded the moment he finally was under 200 lbs & you can just tell it was a very emotional moment for him.

Considering that video helped me to get healthy again (14 lbs lost in my first month), I'm just so glad I don't have to deal with another "this person who brought me entertainment & gave me motivation to make my life better turned out to be a bad person" situation. Hell, in general, I'm glad so many of the former contributers are leaving & aren't standing for this crap.
There's been an almost consistent track record of these former producers being quality people. I kind of didn't expect that from a site mostly made up of white men yelling into the camera about video games and movies, but, fuck; I'm really happy to see this. Once I get my laptop back tomorrow I'm seriously gonna have to consider following some of them; I'm already considering lupa and marz.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
To be more precise, it started it this:

Allison was basically fed up with people talking to her about Doug and Channel Awesome even though she wasn't with them anymore for a while (and as if they were still friends), so she responded and that led to the other producers start talking about their bad experiences with CA.

Allison: This is a very serious issue that will lead too many people dying
Dumbass: But the Nostalgia Critic though?

Why would you ask that? Why would you segway to that?

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No surprise there. I was actually wondering what he was gonna do for his next video that he's currently making, if he's gonna rerecord stuff (it's gonna be a top 10 episode of some sort to celebrate 199 episodes). Glad to see what side he's on, especially since he was so nice to me when I tweeted to him that his weight loss video was what inspired me to start dieting again & seems like an overall good person.

Hell, there's over 100+ episodes that have that hat in the background, so I don't know what he plans on doing for all those episodes. I actually looked & back in like, episode 80ish, he had the bit at the end where puts the hat on the shelf & in a few episodes before that, had a "dedicated to..." at the end. So that's almost 120 episodes where he'd have to go back & figure out what to do.

If it was me, I would just leave it as it's just a hat and any symbolic that it once had is now gone and secondly the hat is originally worn by Wario, a Nintendo character, so most people will associate the hat with him rather than Jewario.

Rob

Oct 25, 2017
SATX
If it was me, I would just leave it as it's just a hat and any symbolic that it once had is now gone and secondly the hat is originally worn by Wario, a Nintendo character, so most people will associate the hat with him rather than Jewario.
I think the hat Bennett had on his shelf had JW though.

Oct 25, 2017
Allison: This is a very serious issue that will lead too many people dying
Dumbass: But the Nostalgia Critic though?

Why would you ask that? Why would you segway to that?
Paraphrasing several comments I've seen:

"How old was the Jew Wario victim? If she was 10, that's one thing. But if she was only 17, then that's not so bad"

"It's not like he raped anyone"
someone points out she was passed out after she said no repeatedly
"well, fingering isn't rape, even if they're passed out"

Like... yikes.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Well I googled the hat that Jewario worn and he had a W on it so I just assumed that it was the same. But again I would just leave it as you can't change the past and at the time Bennett did it in good faith.

The only thing I would do is what Murzgirl did and put a disclaimer on it saying that it was a product on its time and all that jazz.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Correct, it had JW on it, so he'd still have to edit the video to remove the J.

It's just a shame that something that was done in good faith & as remembrance of someone has now changed & has possibly affected another person's piece of work, but at the very least, we know now that the hat will not be in future episodes as demonstrated by his newest upload & is aware of the current situation by choosing to remove the object that would remind people of said person.

Apr 4, 2018
United States
Paraphrasing several comments I've seen:

"How old was the Jew Wario victim? If she was 10, that's one thing. But if she was only 17, then that's not so bad"

"It's not like he raped anyone"
someone points out she was passed out after she said no repeatedly
"well, fingering isn't rape, even if they're passed out"

Like... yikes.
According to who? A rapist?
Fucking hell people, its still assaulting someone who in no way shape or form gave an inkling of consent (you'd think repeatedly saying 'no' would get that point across).

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's been an almost consistent track record of these former producers being quality people. I kind of didn't expect that from a site mostly made up of white men yelling into the camera about video games and movies, but, fuck; I'm really happy to see this. Once I get my laptop back tomorrow I'm seriously gonna have to consider following some of them; I'm already considering lupa and marz.

We've not posted this in awhile but heres the compiled list of former Channel Awesome producers (other than Brad and Larry) in case you or anyone else would like to take a browse through it, subscribe to some old favourites or discover some new ones:
Follow Your Favourite Producers

Mar 29, 2018
We've not posted this in awhile but heres the compiled list of former Channel Awesome producers (other than Brad and Larry) in case you or anyone else would like to take a browse through it, subscribe to some old favourites or discover some new ones:
Follow Your Favourite Producers
That list should be pretty useful while the only news on the situation is Malcolm being a low-key ass on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2017
New NC episode on Youtube about an hour ago. Let's see how the like/dislikes are going so far?

VVyygUj.png

Already at 25% dislikes.

Edit: Also, with about 5 hours left in the day (I think I finally figured out when the stats change for the day on this site), they've already lost more subscribers today than yesterday.

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
Holy shit, I'd forgotten about CR. I used to watch him back in the day, and didn't even realize he had left the site. Familiar Faces was my shit in middle school.

Oh gods I remember him...I liked him but then he started ranting about MLP's later seasons and I kind of lost interest...

EDIT: Also I was kind of fond of "The Idiot's Lantern" review show- she kind of dropped off about a year ago. Wonder what happened to her...

OH! HE'S CHAD ROCCO! I HAD NO IDEA. What was his involvement with #changethechannel again? I know I've heard a lot of references to him on other fora and maybe here but I can't remember what the general trend was...

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
New NC episode on Youtube about an hour ago. Let's see how the like/dislikes are going so far?

VVyygUj.png

Already at 25% dislikes.

Edit: Also, with about 5 hours left in the day (I think I finally figured out when the stats change for the day on this site), they've already lost more subscribers today than yesterday.

Going to the comments section is so jarring coming from an informed, skeptical place like this. It's really hard reading comments from the fans who want answers, the fans who won't hear answer of this, and those of the latter who respond to those of the former. Plus they're still running the "Doug Quit" rumor mill.

I think contrapoints once said people often ironically pretend to be what they truly are.

Reminds me of something I saw on TV Tropes. Apparently Jimmy Savile made cracks about being the terror of girls' boarding schools. Ugh.

Oct 25, 2017
May I ask a very ignorant question? How does subscribing to someone's YouTube channel even work? Do you then get an email saying there's a new video? Or do you just get an alert on Youtube's site?

Mar 29, 2018
May I ask a very ignorant question? How does subscribing to someone's YouTube channel even work? Do you then get an email saying there's a new video? Or do you just get an alert on Youtube's site?

There's a subscription page you can access when logged in to YouTube. You get notifications if you "ring the bell" (click bell icon and ask to receive notifications).

EDIT: Visual Aids

https://i.imgur.com/lIv1xN0.png
https://i.imgur.com/RXetVTv.png
https://i.imgur.com/1cF8t7R.png

Last edited:

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Basically, every time you log into Youtube, your home page has a running ticker of all the most recent videos uploaded by all the channels you subscribe to. You'll also get a menu of all your subscribed channels on the side if you want to peruse them individually. It basically tells the algorithm what videos to prioritize showing to you.

dororo

Apr 9, 2018
And still, after learning about so much stuff about CA's true character, we still have no clue what happened to Bhargo

(or at least I don't-what happened to that guy? I know he left, but it's like he just disappeared)

Oct 25, 2017
Ha. What a funny joke, Brian.
You know the old saying "How can you tell someone is a vegan? They'll tell you"? Well, I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't have a google/youtube account nor facebook, so I sometimes struggle with these basic things. Now, poking into legal and corporate stuff online? That I know. (and, I finally resolved something I've been meaning to look up about a former member in an incident from last year).

Anyway, thanks for all the answers, everyone!

Live subscriber chart since about when the new video was released:

0doVd9R.png

Last edited:

ZeibleH

Mar 24, 2018
And still, after learning about so much stuff about CA's true character, we still have no clue what happened to Bhargo

(or at least I don't-what happened to that guy? I know he left, but it's like he just disappeared)

Bhargav just...left. From what I've heard he's doing fine, actually. Like, nothing dramatic- he just left the company.

Apr 4, 2018
United States
Oh gods I remember him...I liked him but then he started ranting about MLP's later seasons and I kind of lost interest...

EDIT: Also I was kind of fond of "The Idiot's Lantern" review show- she kind of dropped off about a year ago. Wonder what happened to her...

OH! HE'S CHAD ROCCO! I HAD NO IDEA. What was his involvement with #changethechannel again? I know I've heard a lot of references to him on other fora and maybe here but I can't remember what the general trend was...
I don't know if he was a big component in changethechannel. A quick look at his twitter shows he hasn't really talked about it, and is his bio still says he's a contributor to CA (even though the link links to a dead page). I didn't really look extensively, so he might have mentioned it further back. Looking over his content, his Familiar Faces vids have slowed in output, and he mostly does Hearthstone streams. Sucks too, loved those videos.

Apr 4, 2018
United States
Bhargav just...left. From what I've heard he's doing fine, actually. Like, nothing dramatic- he just left the company.
The last time I saw him mentioned was actually in Lindsay's short film, "The A Word" where he (in text, which wasn't blurred [oops]) was congratulating her on having an abortion, and calling her "his hero" IIRC. She took exception to that, and said something along the lines of "do you think I'm proud of this?" (don't know the exact wording as I haven't seen the film in like 6 years).

EDIT: My mistake. It wasn't the full "The A Word", it was her short(er) pitch "No Womb at the Inn" that I had seen. Can be seen here: https://vimeo.com/13807695
Bhargav is talked about at around the 2:50 mark or so.

Last edited:

XPhantom

Apr 17, 2018
It looks like they've been deleting comments on the recent NC episode. Out of curiosity I looked through the comment section of their Fievel Goes West Upload just to gauge how opinions are currently shifting in response to everything that has happened, but the vast majority of them seem to be just about the review. After digging deeper, I found some comments noting that they believed comments had been deleted as the climate of the comment section has evidently taken a 180 since the initial hours of the upload. Interesting but not surprising.

Also, something else I came across while waiting for my account to get approved is on CA's website there is still a way for you to log into you account if you already had one before they attempted to shut down the comment section there. Considering Michaud's overall incompetence as a CEO or a basic technologically savy individual, I speculated that he simply removed the login and account creation links as a way to deter people from flooding the main site with complaints thus halting commenting altogether. However, you can backend your way into the login page by simply hitting reply to any of the comments already there. I don't have a CA account so I couldn't test if it actually will still let you login, but I found it both interesting and funny that Michaud couldn't even be competent enough to know that he would literally have to dismantle the login system via code to stop comments and instead thought just removing the sign in links on the main page was enough. Just wow.

Mar 29, 2018
It looks like they've been deleting comments on the recent NC episode. Out of curiosity I looked through the comment section of their Fievel Goes West Upload just to gauge how opinions are currently shifting in response to everything that has happened, but the vast majority of them seem to be just about the review. After digging deeper, I found some comments noting that they believed comments had been deleted as the climate of the comment section has evidently taken a 180 since the initial hours of the upload. Interesting but not surprising.

Also, something else I came across while waiting for my account to get approved is on CA's website there is still a way for you to log into you account if you already had one before they attempted to shut down the comment section there. Considering Michaud's overall incompetence as a CEO or a basic technologically savy individual, I speculated that he simply removed the login and account creation links as a way to deter people from flooding the main site with complaints thus halting commenting altogether. However, you can backend your way into the login page by simply hitting reply to any of the comments already there. I don't have a CA account so I couldn't test if it actually will still let you login, but I found it both interesting and funny that Michaud couldn't even be competent enough to know that he would literally have to dismantle the login system via code to stop comments and instead thought just removing the sign in links on the main page was enough. Just wow.

Orwellian damage control at its finest. If they cancel that planned video response and just keep this up, it may blow over pretty quickly, though if Malcolm's not full of it, this isn't over yet.

There_is_No_War_in_Ba_Sing_Se_cover.gif

On a lighter note, PhantomStrider left a comment that was supportive of Doug without being demeaning towards the accusers or people who want answers. I'm a subscriber of his, and he seems like a really nice guy.

Oct 25, 2017
Last chart of the night:
HoZIqNv.png

Prior to the new NC video being out today, quickly after the last, today was going to be a very bad day for them. They may get 350-400K today as a result.

Also, breaking hearts, The Hobbit Part 3 of 2 by Lindsay is not getting released tonight :(