• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Hardwick is the exact type of motherfucker who would use the phrase "rumspringa."

I don't know how he thinks releasing these messages will shift the narrative in his favor but his career is already well and truly over so I suppose he figures he may as well go out kicking and screaming.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA
At the very least I think his long ass text ending the relationship once and for all demonstrates him handling that moment in a graceful and mature way. If we are to believe he's this abusive monster who had sex with her while she cried, you'd expect to see some evidence of that callous person in that long message, but we don't.

I'm not saying we are to believe every word Chris Hardwick says, but it's interesting seeing comments like yours taking this reasonably written text as MORE evidence of him being a monster, despite his words giving no clear indication of that.

I don't think his "leaked" texts prove or clarify much of anything.

Hardwick sent some cherry-picked texts to TMZ to try and make himself look articulate and attempt to discredit Chloe by painting her as some unstable clingy ex-girlfriend that was desperate to get back together with him. There's no actual communication happening in those texts.

Hardwick's statement and "leaked" texts seem to only be focusing on the actual breakup (which we already knew ended in a very messy way) while Chloe's accusations were more about their day-to-day relationship and the alleged emotional abuse she suffered over a three year period.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the texts, it doesn't seem like we have the whole story. Plus with them broken up like they are Hardwick's epic novella seems like it's fake. At the very least he cherry picked texts to try to destroy her entire argument by discrediting a single part of it.

It was never about the breakup, it was about his emotional abuse and attemps to blacklist her once it was over.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissing sexual assault and domestic abuse allegations.
I don't think his "leaked" texts prove or clarify much of anything.

Hardwick sent some cherry-picked texts to TMZ to try and make himself look articulate and attempt to discredit Chloe by painting her as some unstable clingy ex-girlfriend that was desperate to get back together with him. There's no actual communication happening in those texts.

Hardwick's statement and "leaked" texts seem to only be focusing on the actual breakup (which we already knew ended in a very messy way) while Chloe's accusations were more about their day-to-day relationship and the alleged emotional abuse she suffered over a three year period.
You're using "leaks" here as if he's denying it was him. The TMZ story does not suggest they were leaked. It merely says they "obtained" them. Chloe said her initial story was posted "quietly, and unlisted", as if she was surprised to see it get attention. I thought that was an odd way for her to present things initially, but whatever.

His texts do not appear to be "cherry picked". That appears to be his entire final text he sent her, and then the follow up responses. It's easy to imagine if that wasn't an accurate representation of that conversation we'd be seeing that made public from Chloe's side real fast, don't you think?

While you're right that his farewell text is mostly about the breakup, it struck me as a mature sounding response to a relationship ending under these circumstances. Of course be brings up her cheating (which she doesn't deny), but then he devotes an entire paragraph to talking about his own faults, and expresses a desire to learn from it all. Nothing said in all those words gives the impression of a controlling asshole furious that he's losing his play thing.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

Those who found themselves on the wrong side of Hardwick and his allies said they paid the price, later struggling to find work. In her post, Dykstra suggested she was also blacklisted after her breakup with Hardwick. She left it open to interpretation whether she believed he was directly responsible.

"That seems like the kind of thing that would happen," the producer said. "Maybe Hardwick was upset about a personal relationship and somebody took that as their marching orders."

The former Nerdist employee said he believed Hardwick did play a role. "It was never explicit, but whenever someone said they were thinking of hiring Chloe, [Hardwick] would say, 'Let me tell you a story.' He used people's emotions to get them on his side," he said.

So basically, just like he's doing now.

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
You're using "leaks" here as if he's denying it was him. The TMZ story does not suggest they were leaked. It merely says they "obtained" them. Chloe said her initial story was posted "quietly, and unlisted", as if she was surprised to see it get attention. I thought that was an odd way for her to present things initially, but whatever.

His texts do not appear to be "cherry picked". That appears to be his entire final text he sent her, and then the follow up responses. It's easy to imagine if that wasn't an accurate representation of that conversation we'd be seeing that made public from Chloe's side real fast, don't you think?

While you're right that his farewell text is mostly about the breakup, it struck me as a mature sounding response to a relationship ending under these circumstances. Of course be brings up her cheating (which she doesn't deny), but then he devotes an entire paragraph to talking about his own faults, and expresses a desire to learn from it all. Nothing said in all those words gives the impression of a controlling asshole furious that he's losing his play thing.

How about the blacklisting that was already confirmed?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
People realize that emotional abusers are frequently adept at acknowledging their faults and promising to grow while never actually doing so eh? Weaponized awareness is a key tool in their toolbox of abuse.

They are also very good at appearing "mature" that's how they get support and turn people against their victims.

Zero315

Oct 25, 2017
How about the blacklisting that was already confirmed?
I've also seen people saying the texts disproves the part of her story where she says he begged her to stay... except it doesn't. He literally says in the text message that he begged her to stay. Basing it on that it seems like these texts happened after her story ended.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
At the very least I think his long ass text ending the relationship once and for all demonstrates him handling that moment in a graceful and mature way. If we are to believe he's this abusive monster who had sex with her while she cried, you'd expect to see some evidence of that callous person in that long message, but we don't.

I'm not saying we are to believe every word Chris Hardwick says, but it's interesting seeing comments like yours taking this reasonably written text as MORE evidence of him being a monster, despite his words giving no clear indication of that.

As I stated in this thread days ago, I'm inclined to believe women who come forward, but there were some red flags in Chloe's statement to me. This text exchange tracks with some of the thoughts I had reading her words.

Words are cheap. It is easy to put on a mature and graceful face.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
It's weird how I'm disappointed, yet not surprised. I'm bummed that this guy who, for me, felt like a formative and pioneering figure in the whole "nerd culture as pop culture" landscape, is a scummy dude.

On the other hand, the actual abuse doesn't surprise me. Chris' constant need for absolute control, abandonment of friends for industry connections, and freaking out at the smallest sleight against him has been mentioned on the podcast.

Of course those were all episodes from at least 4-5 years ago, since that's about the last time I recall listening to it.
Just finding out about this. Liked @/Midnight on Comedy Central a lot, but damn does Chris sound like this secret control freak. People shouldn't treat each other like that.

EDIT: Really hard to write the name of that show on ResetEra.
Not really a secret. Matt and Jonah made fun of him and comments on it in general on The Nerdist podcast from time to time.

Not

Oct 25, 2017
US
Damn, it seems more and more like Hardwick was fake as fuck the whole time, and was being progressive mainly because it got him more famous friends.

This is a fucking bummer. I can't even watch old @ Midnight now.

SeanM

Oct 26, 2017
USA

I used "leaked" because Hardwick has not posted anything to social media since this scandal broke. Instead he's been using TMZ (a gossip rag) as his mouthpiece to try and control the narrative all while giving off the illusion of taking the high road. It's a chicken shit PR tactic if you ask me.

And I would argue those texts are not a "conversation" at all. There's no actual communication happening there, it's completely one-sided. Hardwick posted an enormous wall of text -- literally the longest text message I have ever seen in my life -- and then immediately ghosted Chloe to ensure he'd have the last word. I'm not saying it's an inaccurate representation or anything, but rather that it's unfair to compare a super long carefully crafted breakup letter to a bunch of immediate off-the-cuff responses that were sent literally two minutes later according to the timestamps. The obvious intent of these released texts were to make him appear more mature and articulate.

That single text from Chris is simply his side of the breakup story and doesn't really discredit her claims. The breakup wasn't even the focus of her article, it was all his (alleged) shitty behavior that occurred over years which ultimately led to their breakup. He's trying to steer the conversation away from 'years of emotional abuse, starfishing, blacklisting' and into 'i was the victim, she cheated on me!' It's not a good look and pretty transparent imo.

ryllix

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think she refers to the blacklisting. Though I don't believe we have many details or specifics yet.
I figured she had to be referring to blacklisting. The only "blacklisting" that we know happened for sure was being banned from the nerdist and it's building...which is not blacklisting. He owned the building and didn't want his ex in it. She has been getting work just as frequently since the breakup as before the breakup. She is a d list actress. She was getting more work while they dated because she was dating him....her getting less of that work after they break up isnt blacklisting. That is just the reality of dating an actor that is more famous than you are. We don't have any actual evidence of him blacklisting her, and if there is evidence I'd love to see it so it can validate her story a bit.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I figured she had to be referring to blacklisting. The only "blacklisting" that we know happened for sure was being banned from the nerdist and it's building...which is not blacklisting. He owned the building and didn't want his ex in it. She has been getting work just as frequently since the breakup as before the breakup. She is a d list actress. She was getting more work while they dated because she was dating him....her getting less of that work after they break up isnt blacklisting. That is just the reality of dating an actor that is more famous than you are. We don't have any actual evidence of him blacklisting her, and if there is evidence I'd love to see it so it can validate her story a bit.
What you are saying is the very definition of blacklisting.

ryllix

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
What you are saying is the very definition of blacklisting.
If he owns a building and doesn't want an ex who cheated on him in the building that is not blacklisting. Blacklisting would be him telling Hollywood producers or executives to not hire her. He does not have that kind of power. She doesn't have any inherent right to be in the nerdist building, it's a private business.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
If he owns a building and doesn't want an ex who cheated on him in the building that is not blacklisting. Blacklisting would be him telling Hollywood producers or executives to not hire her. He does not have that kind of power. She doesn't have any inherent right to be in the nerdist building, it's a private business.
So a breakup is grounds for firing and telling people not to hire her since it was his company? Give me a break

sabrina

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
newport beach, CA
There's been tons of evidence. Several producers have admitted that they were strongly discouraged from working with her by Hardwick or a person representing Hardwick.

Don't act like you know the story when you clearly don't.

ryllix

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like people are acting like the nerdist is much more important than it is. It's a relatively small organization in the grand scheme of Hollywood. If the only work she was getting was from the nerdist, then her career wasn't exactly booming to be something that could even be blacklisted to begin with

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Now we have to argue about what being blacklisted means?

Really? Come on...
I feel like people are acting like the nerdist is much more important than it is. It's a relatively small organization in the grand scheme of Hollywood. If the only work she was getting was from the nerdist, then her career wasn't exactly booking to be something that could even be blacklisted to begin with
Yeah, pretty sure people who aren't famous celebrities can also be blacklisted from work.

What are you even implying with these asinine comments?

Being blacklisted doesn't mean you get sent to a cave to live out the rest of your life.

Get some perspective.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
I feel like people are acting like the nerdist is much more important than it is. It's a relatively small organization in the grand scheme of Hollywood. If the only work she was getting was from the nerdist, then her career wasn't exactly booming to be something that could even be blacklisted to begin with
So, since she never moved up that far, it's okay to do this to her?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
He owns the business, that is how business works.

He had actually sold Nerdist to Legendary at that point, but was still (obviously) very influential.

I see some doubt floating around on social media after the release of the text messages that appear to show the relationship ending in a very different manner than Dykstra claimed. After all of this fallout, I see this ending in one of two ways:

1. If Dykstra does have evidence of the abuse and assault, Hardwick likely knows this, and will just slink away to obscurity
2. If he doesn't believe she has it, he'll sue her for defamation or something

I just get the feeling this situation isn't going to end all nice and clean with a bow on it.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I think it is okay if you own a business and choose to ban your ex who cheated on you from working with that business. If he was getting her blacklisted from tv networks or movies that would be another story, and something wrong.

A blacklisting doesn't have to be industry wide to be blacklisting. Stop arguing in bad faith here as if she wasn't harmed by his actions.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
I think it is okay if you own a business and choose to ban your ex who cheated on you from working with that business. If he was getting her blacklisted from tv networks or movies that would be another story, and something wrong.

It wasn't just from Nerdist. It was ALSO with Nerdist partners, basically everyone on LA "nerd" youtube.
Once again, you are dismissing SEVERAL beats of information shared here, including an account of blacklisting that was posted some pages ago:

Keep ignoring the victim's abuse claims. Keep dismissing what she is saying, even when several people have come forward to confirm her account. Let's see how far that goes.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What a good look! Defending the rights of abusive assholes everywhere. Keep on keepin' on.

Hardwick didn't even deny this shit, and we have no evidence it's only at Nerdist. Even if it were, considering her opportunities, that's still a serious blow.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
What a good look! Defending the rights of abusive assholes everywhere. Keep on keepin' on.

Hardwick didn't even deny this shit, and we have no evidence it's only at Nerdist. Even if it were, considering her opportunities, that's still a serious blow.

Actually, we have evidence that it was widespread for "working partners" of Nerdist. The account above is from the Geek and Sundry producer.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017

If you read between the lines, you can tell he's actually defending Hardwick, which is probably why he's trying so hard to downplay the blacklisting part.
Actually, we have evidence that it was widespread for "working partners" of Nerdist. The account above is from the Geek and Sundry producer.
I'm sure it doesn't matter since his comments imply he's more inclined to believe Hardwick, and his rights as the boyfriend, than anything else.

ryllix

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Refuting the validity of sexual assault allegations + victim blaming
So does she get a free pass for cheating? As someone who has been cheated on, that is mentally abusive as well. People are pretending like she is some perfect person who did nothing wrong. The only person who has verified her abuse story was her boyfriend, an unreliable source.

ryllix

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you read between the lines, you can tell he's actually defending Hardwick, which is probably why he's trying so hard to downplay the blacklisting part.

I'm sure it doesn't matter since his comments imply he's more inclined to believe Hardwick, and his rights as the boyfriend, than anything else.
Im inclined to believe evidence and verification. It has already been shown that she lied about certain aspects of her story. Without any verification for the other parts of the story, it's irresponsible to just assume the rest is honesty

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
So does she get a free pass for cheating? As someone who has been cheated on, that is mentally abusive as well. People are pretending like she is some perfect person who did nothing wrong. The only person who has verified her abuse story was her boyfriend, an unreliable source.
You just compared an affair, with someone who is accused of sexual and mental abuse.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

That isn't even apples and oranges, that's apples and sexually and mentally abusive oranges.
Im inclined to believe evidence and verification. It has already been shown that she lied about certain aspects of her story. Without any verification for the other parts of the story, it's irresponsible to just assume the rest is honesty
None of what you mentioned is evidence outside of the words of Hardwick, yet you still presented it as such.

Please don't pull that stance if you're not going to adhere to it yourself.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017

Wow those goalposts.

Oct 25, 2017
Gordita Beach
whoa.png