• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WaffleTaco

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you are going after Chris Pratt and not the other people for what reason?? Not a good look OP, it's distracted from what is the actual point (these celebrities) are all attending a shitty church; you are just jumping on the "let's look for something to take down Chris Pratt" bandwagon that has propped up recently.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
While he and any person that goes to this church are idiots let's not start acting as if the Church is this inclusive institution or something. Growing up here in the north east my church would routinely spew anti lgbt rhetoric and that's in a progressive place so I can only imagine what the Midwest has to offer. Just because liberal cities have inclusive churches it doesn't change the fact that as a whole the religion has fought to keep the lgbt community oppressed.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I have attended a couple services of their recent outpost in Boston which meets in a nightclub in the downtown theater district. It is a hell of a production and extremely glitzy, feels like Instagram church and it definitely is not for me. Wasn't aware of their virulent homophobia or the molestation charges tho, certainly wouldn't be going back
Is this the same hillsong like the Christian band?
yeah, they write and record a lot of extremely popular praise music

Deleted member 888

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty gross by this church, but I wonder why this article headline singles out Pratt among the other much more famous celebs in the first line?

You know why.

Feed the twitter outrage machine and the "I totally knew!" from the public. Who don't actually know anything, but just want to tell you they do.

And that's coming from an atheist who will fight corrupt institutes and all the child exploitation within religions.

This isn't really all that much at this point in time, but I'm sure we'll get a large topic of "I knew!" and "I told you so!".

DopeToast

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be hesitant to say that his attending necessarily means he supports that aspect. Unfortunately a lot or most of American Christian churches are anti-gay to some extent. It doesn't mean you can't question him on his beliefs, but this isn't damning evidence of his homophobia I wouldn't think.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Thor would kick his ass.

DaraA9uVwAAkb1K.jpg

jontin

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Pretty gross by this church, but I wonder why this article headline singles out Pratt among the other much more famous celebs in the first line?

Probably for the same reason a bunch of people here suddenly dislike Pratt to an extreme degree, and we're seeing an uptick of threads and discussion about him.

No idea what the reason is though.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
This is a megachurch...I think the sheer size of the church and its memberships makes specific members difficult to extend specific proxy criticism to.

Now if we see those members doing more specific stuff directly related to that church, that's different.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pratt's religiousness has always creeped me out. Based on his tweets and posts, I have a feeling that he's not a trustworthy guy.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
For those not aware with American Christianity, the more liberal denominations, like the mainline denominations tend to be LGBT affirming. How this is intrepreted varies per liberal denomination. Some affirm gay marriage, but others don't, yet they believe being gay is sinful in and of itself.

The more conservative denominations, tend to not be LGBT affirming. This varies from seeing homosexual acts as sinful, but they are quick to say that so is heterosexual sex outside of marriage as well. They don't see homosexual identity as a sinful, but satisfying the desire. Others, the super conservative one even see homosexual identity as sinful.

Most of the American Megachurches come from conservative roots and denominations. Hillsong is conservative, but follows a more mainstream megachurch model. The NYC pastor, Carl Lentz, was actually criticized from more conservative pastors on previous statements as well.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The church my sister got married in had pride colors painted up from floor-to-ceiling on one part of its wall, and when I asked the reverend, he explicitly said it was a statement of support for LGBT+.

When my gf's grandfather passed, their community church we went to for the funeral had postings on the notice board in support of the gay community, decrying toxic masculinity, and various support charities for Syrian refugees.

There are plenty of problems within organized religion, including Christianity, but this is some lazy-ass commentary.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is that what Chris Pratt believes in, or is this another Obama Jeremiah wright situation

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Nah, he took that back and called it stupid.

This, on the other hand, isn't an offhand interview comment - this is an intentional decision re: where you go to church.

He did apologized and owned it. But if you take this new church thing and put humpy dumpy with that stupid remark i believe you can see something going on with him.

I prefer to judge people based on the quality of their character, not the company they keep.

The company you keep can also be a reflection of your character. "Tell me who your friends are, and I'll tell you who you are" says the phrase in my town.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'm a little confused as to why Pratt is being singled out for this lately. I mean, is Selena Gomez anti-gay because she goes to this church?

No one should be going to this church at all. But I find it strange that we seem to be trying to take down Pratt specifically.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
Not that it condones it, but wasn't that pretty common for, you know, a (christian) church?

Could be worse, could be catholic. I mean, if you want to talk about having an awful history...
Even worse: could be a human being! Now that's some awful history.

I'm a little confused as to why Pratt is being singled out for this lately. I mean, is Selena Gomez anti-gay because she goes to this church?

No one should be going to this church at all. But I find it strange that we seem to be trying to take down Pratt specifically.
Just hope onto the hate train.
It's the third thread about taking down Chris Pratt. Clearly it's personal.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017

Probably because the movies Pratt stars in are more relevant to the user base of GAF than Selena Gomez

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
It appears the article is incorrect about the sexual abuse. It isn't the founder of the church, it was the founder's father. The problem with the founder of the church is the amount of effort he took to hide and diminish the abuse.

One of the church's original founders, Frank Houston, molested a 7-year-old boy.

Brian and Bobbie Houston are the founders of the church.

Van

Oct 25, 2017
I have attended a couple services of their recent outpost in Boston which meets in a nightclub in the downtown theater district. It is a hell of a production and extremely glitzy, feels like Instagram church and it definitely is not for me. Wasn't aware of their virulent homophobia or the molestation charges tho, certainly wouldn't be going back

yeah, they write and record a lot of extremely popular praise music
Oh I know the band, just didn't realize There was a whole damn church lol

Nox Potens

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
More power to Christians who have their faith and still support gay people.

I don't know exactly where you compartmentalize Leviticus, but godspeed.... keep doing it.
I am an athiest, though I was raised Catholic and have a few christian friends. The gist of it is that the Jesus's death was supposed to be the beginning of a new covenant and to ignore that older stuff. Hence why the teachings don't always mesh well. At least, that's how I understand it.

Brandon

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Y'all sure are desperate to take this man down.

Why not make a thread discussing the church since many high profile celebrities are involved?

Oh that's right, you're just determined to "cancel" Chris Pratt.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean Old Testament isn't their bible
It literally is half the Bible.

And Jesus says: "Think not that I came to destroy the law or the prophets; I came not to destroy, but to fulfill."

Jesus upholds the old mosaic law of the old testament. By all means I hope no one follows that... but people read it and obviously do.

I am an athiest, though I was raised Catholic and have a few christian friends. The gist of it is that the Jesus's death was supposed to be the beginning of a new covenant and to ignore that older stuff. Hence why the teachings don't always mesh well. At least, that's how I understand it.

Well, see above. Some Christians believe what you say.... but they would not be misinterpreting their scripture to come up with the exact opposite idea.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
Not to defend pratt, but I'm pretty sure this can be applied to just about any church in America.
This is kinda what I came in to say. You could replace "Chris Pratt" with just about anyone who goes to a church.
Wasn't that pretty common for, you know, a church?
Can we get a mod in here to clamp down on this blanket statement bullshit?

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
More power to Christians who have their faith and still support gay people.

I don't know exactly where you compartmentalize Leviticus, but godspeed.... keep doing it.

As weird, and ironic, as this is going to sound, Faith is kind of a spectrum when you think about it. You got your individuals who believe that everything written in text is the gospel truth, those who just believe in the deities (or idea of) themself while not supportive of the church, and all sorts of other combinations.

Status
Not open for further replies.